New Korg MS-20 Mini - Page 133 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Korg MS-20 Mini
Old 5th March 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyntheticFlyer ➡️
Anyone else order the soft case for their MS-20 mini? I got mine today. It doesn't fit at all. I can't zip it shut without damaging the synth or the case. I'm about to return it. Is it worth having them ship another one to me in hopes that I'll get one that fits? Anyone have the same issue?
I remember someone here had the same problem a while ago. Astounding.

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyntheticFlyer ➡️
Anyone else order the soft case for their MS-20 mini? I got mine today. It doesn't fit at all. I can't zip it shut without damaging the synth or the case. I'm about to return it. Is it worth having them ship another one to me in hopes that I'll get one that fits? Anyone have the same issue?
if it's like this case, you have it on the wrong way round:

You'd expect the keys to be at the bottom, like they are when you play it, but this design is better - the center of gravity is lower with this orientation, which is what you want when transporting
Old 5th March 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I'm sorry but it's kind of baffling that people don't realise they have to line up the shape of the ms20 with the shape of the bag.

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
That MS20 bag looks cool. Beats my Emerson Moog Modular bag for looks:

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace Clef ➡️
That MS20 bag looks cool. Beats my Emerson Moog Modular bag for looks:

is that you?!

my god man! you're TINY!!!
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers ➡️
if it's like this case, you have it on the wrong way round:

You'd expect the keys to be at the bottom, like they are when you play it, but this design is better - the center of gravity is lower with this orientation, which is what you want when transporting
Thanks. You were right. I thought I tried both ways, but nope.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
is that you?!

my god man! you're TINY!!!
That's what she said.

No....wait...

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace Clef ➡️
That's what she said.

No....wait...
empty your massive bag.

is what she said
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR ➡️
I'm sorry but it's kind of baffling that people don't realise they have to line up the shape of the ms20 with the shape of the bag.

I didn't anticipate it to be lying on its back while in the bag. I assumed it would be upright as it is when you play it. Thanks for your help.
Old 24th April 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
hello world,

Are you still enjoying the MS20 mini?
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpresev ➡️
hello world,

Absolutely! I love the way this little puppy sounds.

I currently have a sweet patch on the Mini waiting for some time to record it. (Life is far too busy.)

And as I have now figured out the proper cables, I am waiting for them to come so I can connect the CV outs on my Analog Four for even more fun. They make a great complementary pair of synths...
Old 24th April 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I hooked mine up for the first time a while (to answer a guys question about CV and Qunexus). I've been enjoying it quite a bit. I've been running through (I think its golden beers) MS20 mini drum examples... triggering via CV and multitracking into Live. I've always had 2600 envy ever since Vince Clarkes Analogue Monologue on the beast... especially the part where he does some very Vince-like electronic percussion. The MS20 mini and thise videos/pdf seriously cut that envy down a sizable amount.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
hello world,

Kind of... I sold mine & bought the full-size kit instead. The little keyboard and minijack interface failed to inspire me. I'm digging the full size though - the knobs feel sturdy and the 1/4" jacks interface with my other gear without requiring a bunch of special cables or adapters. I'm very happy with the kit version, but I do wish there was a flightcase....
Old 24th April 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Still love mine after having it for almost 2 years now. Sampled all the drum noises into the volca sample so now it sits on an elevated laptop stand, waiting to be a lead, bass, or "other" part in things that I'm working on. I love it so much that I'm getting it an analogue keys over the pro 2 because it not only connects better with it via CV, but sonically they also complement each other better and of all the gear I've had the MS-20 is the one thing I'm not getting rid of.
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
hello world,

absolutely, it's a synth I would only ever sell to get $$ for a real one or a full sized kit, it's just an incredibly inspirational synth, mine has recently been re-patched in my chain so it now has it's own dedicated analog delay it goes through..a Mirex analog echo, sounds incredible once you get out to those super long delays with all that noise chasing it around. It's a synth that when ever I turn it on and start playing around with it, 7-8 times out of 10 I end up opening my DAW and recording something that leads to making a track...that's a high ratio...that's how inspirational I find it.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz ➡️
absolutely, it's a synth I would only ever sell to get $$ for a real one...
It IS a real one. I owned two originals and a mini and it's most definitely what I would call a "real" MS-20

I would much prefer a new one due to maintenance of old synths.
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by donato ➡️
It IS a real one. I owned two originals and a mini and it's most definitely what I would call a "real" MS-20

I would much prefer a new one due to maintenance of old synths.
I mean a real old proper first issue one, my friend at SAE College had one and we would play on it for 10-12 hours at a time, he played his guitar through it whilst I tweaked...the original is bad ass, obviously we buy these new ones cause they are cheaper and won't have age issues with their electronics..
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I mean a real old proper first issue one, my friend at SAE College had one and we would play on it for 10-12 hours at a time, he played his guitar through it whilst I tweaked...the original is bad ass, obviously we buy these new ones cause they are cheaper and won't have age issues with their electronics..
But why do you think the original is any better than the reissue? Like I said, I've owned two originals myself (proper first issue as you like to call it). I don't find them really any better than the reissues.

Last edited by donato; 24th April 2015 at 04:38 AM..

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by donato ➡️
But why do you think the original is any better than the reissue? Like I said, I've owned two originals myself (proper first issue as you like to call it). I don't find them really any better than the reissues.
i find the original better (at least my OGMK2)

1) noise gen is better sounding, and is more useful in modulation
2) overall tone is more open
3) EG behavior is slightly different. this no better or worse for me. its just the settings are not 1 - 1
4) behavior of filter in general - maybe more to do with MK2 vs MK1 - but things like the biting point region of the filter res - getting it to half-self oscillate. sounds better on the OGMK2. you get a better cymbal sound for example.
5) instabilities: not talking about osc note here, but the rest of it. you get wonderful variety from the OGMK2 just at that biting point I mentioned. great for multitracking / layering. when things are finely balanced on the edge of being not one thing or another, here is where the OGMK2 wins out.
6) sound of the ESP. I guess I just prefer the amp and distortion in this section of the OG.
7) Behavior of the ESP. One patch at least is simply not possible on the mini, that being ESP Trig out to ESP signal in. you get a feedback loop on the OG, the mini - you get nothing.

i'm sure there are more differences that I haven't scientifically observed but feel are different. For instance, feedback in these two systems seems different . different amps = different sound when feeding back.

these are mostly small differences. i recommend the MS20mini for the price.
biggest difference actually would be build. keybed is **** on the mini. and pots don't feel like they will last.

Last edited by golden beers; 24th April 2015 at 12:55 PM..
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
absolutely, it's a synth I would only ever sell to get $$ for a real one or a full sized kit, it's just an incredibly inspirational synth, mine has recently been re-patched in my chain so it now has it's own dedicated analog delay it goes through..a Mirex analog echo, sounds incredible once you get out to those super long delays with all that noise chasing it around. It's a synth that when ever I turn it on and start playing around with it, 7-8 times out of 10 I end up opening my DAW and recording something that leads to making a track...that's a high ratio...that's how inspirational I find it.
Echoing that sentiment, every time it's on it gives me so something. Recently acquired the sq-1 which is giving me great timed modulations as well.

Mine has it's own moogerfooger delay on output, sick.

Love mine, noise and all.

Last edited by Jamie munro; 24th April 2015 at 11:56 AM.. Reason: Every
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
i find the original better

i'm sure there are more differences that I haven't scientifically observed but feel are different. For instance, feedback in these two systems seems different . different amps = different sound when feeding back.

these are mostly small differences. i recommend the MS20mini for the price.
biggest difference actually would be build
. keybed is **** on the mini. and pots don't feel like they will last.

for sure the build is the biggest difference and that is what I was alluding to with an original one...the jack inputs on the re-issue are really terrible imo...sounds great though...

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
oh yea the jack panel doesn't look to great. sockets held in by solder alone it seems.

having said that, I've had to burnish my OG a couple of times - sockets tend to get worn after 30 years of use...

... just ask the wife! :D

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruvsyco ➡️
I hooked mine up for the first time a while (to answer a guys question about CV and Qunexus). I've been enjoying it quite a bit. I've been running through (I think its golden beers) MS20 mini drum examples... triggering via CV and multitracking into Live. I've always had 2600 envy ever since Vince Clarkes Analogue Monologue on the beast... especially the part where he does some very Vince-like electronic percussion. The MS20 mini and thise videos/pdf seriously cut that envy down a sizable amount.
yea that's me. happy to read that you're making good use of this resource

all material relating to what gruvsyco is chatting about is available from this page:

MS-20 mini Drums | Free drum samples

(click on the orange links: MS20mini Drum Synthesis Guide | Video Tutorials)

BTW you can get seriously good cymbals with multi-tracking and sample editing/processing.

Last edited by golden beers; 24th April 2015 at 12:59 PM..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I asked because I have GAS for the MS20 mini..
Old 24th April 2015
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Buy it, it's cheap as now, I've seen them new for £335 wtf
Old 24th April 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
How does the Korg MS-20 Mini sound compared to both it's original form, and the new Korg ARP Odyssey? What is the quality of this, does it seem fragile or sturdy? Thanks!
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallel ➡️
Probably a stupid question, but does this have any relation to the Korg MS2000?
Is it similar at all?
The MS2000 is a digital modeling synth. MS-20 is analog. The MS2000 was intended to sound similar to the MS-20 but with 4-voice polyphony and a lot more features. It never truly replicated the whole analog vibe of the MS-20. But it's a great synth in its own right IMO .
Old 24th April 2015
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
I own both

They sound nothing alike really and Im spending a lot of time on them

The odyssey is different, cleaner , dirtier, then more powerful but in a very different way, the ms20 will do things the odyssey cannot dream of and vice versa.

Build wise, I dare say both are strong, I'm not going to stick my neck out and go with the crap in the web that the ms20 knobs will break etc, that's crap, and it's been said a million times before about synths built a lot less sturdy, yes I'd have preferred 1/4 inch jacks but I got 1/8 and I'm sure they will be fine in years to come.
So much like the crap being talked about the faders on the odyssey being wobbly hahahahaaaa that's the worst piece of bung I've ever heard, who uses horizontal movements in vertical faders anyway? Really? Of course they will feel weak if you force them the wrong way. FFS my technics dj mixer feels bad if you force the faders to wobble, come to think of it so does the fader on my gold 1200's, **** I'd best sell them before they break as well hahahaaaa live the internet trolls.

I don't own an original of either so can't comment but I'll go on the word of those I know that do, they are pretty damn close, although that matters not to me, they sound the **** and will be more reliable, that's enough.
Old 3rd May 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
ADSR times issues

Hi friends. I have a question. I noticed specifications korg ms 20 mini, on the EG2, and say the time for the Hold time is 20 sec, for the attack is 10 sec, for the reléase is 10 sec etc. And also say specifications for the delay EG1 has maximun time of 10 sec. The reléase of 10 sec, and attack of 10 sec. However I probe the ADSR times and EG2 and these times are not equal. In my ms 20 mini, Hold time is 10 sec, the delay time for EG1 is 8 sec, etc. The probe EG2 Hold time for him to hold =10 sec, sustain=10, attack=0, reléase=o. The delay time for the probe with EG1 Delay time=10, attack time=0, reléase time=0. No time to say the specifications are met. Anyone else feels the same?. thank you very much. Excuse my English
Old 18th June 2015
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I'm still having fun with my mini. Not playing it as much as when I first got it but have been recording with it over the last few days (along with my Korg Odyssey), just so much fun.
The Odyssey has been the main synth on that recording, but sometimes you just can't beat the MS20. For that gritty, driven dual filter sound, just so good!
📝 Reply