Quantcast
New Korg MS-20 Mini - Page 130 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Korg MS-20 Mini
Old 5th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Are there any trim pots on the inside that can be adjusted? When I use envelope 1 to control the inital gain, the level is about 6db louder than not using envelope 1. Then when the resonances on the LPF is around 6-7 the filter distorts in a really bad way, almost like digital distortion. Not nice, and its like that even with the master volume really low, it's not distorting my mixer for example.
Also, my mini has really low output on the noise sources as well. It wont engage the sample and hold circuit without amplifying the noise first with the external input circuit.

It seems like it needs calibrations. Mine is serial 7100
Old 6th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by erol ➡️
Hi,

Any Korg MS-20 mini users here? I've made a patch in the vst version and I would like to hear the same patch in de hardware mini version. Please PM!
Thanks

Also, is it possible to save patches using USB on the mini?
I tried to recreate a few patches from the plugin on the Mini, and they sounded very different. Might depend on the type of sound though.

And there is no way of saving patches on the Mini.
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Are you still using the MS-20 mini? What are the pros and cons?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide ➡️
I tried to recreate a few patches from the plugin on the Mini, and they sounded very different. Might depend on the type of sound though.

And there is no way of saving patches on the Mini.
You can take photos with your digital camera, though. My friend used to try and take polaroids of synth patches back in the day.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseface ➡️
You can take photos with your digital camera, though. My friend used to try and take polaroids of synth patches back in the day.
That might be some interesting polaroids! It would be cool to take a peek at them)) May i suggest that when taking pictures of a patch a colored patchcords are a ness!)) ( i tried to do that with a standard ms-20mini yellow cords and the iphone but idea utterly failed))) couldn't tell what goes where actually. uhhh i gotta order some colored patchcords!!
Btw does anyone know if the tiptop audio stackables would work on the mini also??
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmoflot ➡️
Btw does anyone know if the tiptop audio stackables would work on the mini also??
Sure.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bil_g ➡️
Sure.
Thanks! I wish for a harvestman english tear now to interconnect mini MS with the mini and microbrutes (as well as vermona mono lancet modular dock) so i can bring up some semi-modular madness to it's fullest
Peace
Old 7th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseface ➡️
Wow, I thought polaroids were only used for homemade nudies.

Actually I've got a bunch of patch sheets that I photocopied from the manual.
Old 19th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I quite like this site, not sure if it's been postedhere yet, but pretty nifty for storing/documenting your patches.
20Patch - Online MS patch librarian
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think that a cellphone camera is ideal for saving patches. If you want notes associated with them there are apps for that, like the 99¢ Shot MeMo app for the iPhone.
Old 1st May 2014 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Anyone tried the Arturia Beatstep on the mini yet?
I've tried it using the CV but it didn't really sound that great for me due to the voltage setup on the MS20.
Seems like it would work well the the MS20 Mini due to the MIDI in though. Gonna pick up a MIDI cable tomorrow night so I can give this a crack.
Old 1st May 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_hombre ➡️
Anyone tried the Arturia Beatstep on the mini yet?
I've tried it using the CV but it didn't really sound that great for me due to the voltage setup on the MS20.
Seems like it would work well the the MS20 Mini due to the MIDI in though. Gonna pick up a MIDI cable tomorrow night so I can give this a crack.
You could run the CV into the filter inputs on the patch panel for some cool filter sequenced effects. Otherwise, midi is your only real option for note sequencing. Should be cool, I plan on getting one for my MS-20m as well.
Old 2nd May 2014 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Tried running my Mini with the Beatstep via MIDI, works a treat. Next step will be to see if I can trigger notes via midi and the filter via CV at the same time.
No worries if I can't, that might not sound that great anyhoo.
Old 3rd May 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have a new ms20 mini since this week. I have let in on in my studio and was away for a couple of hours. When I came back, the ms20 was no longer active. I had to shut it down with the volume knob and put it on again for it to work. Is this normal or is something faulty?
Old 4th May 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rude Talk ➡️
I have a new ms20 mini since this week. I have let in on in my studio and was away for a couple of hours. When I came back, the ms20 was no longer active. I had to shut it down with the volume knob and put it on again for it to work. Is this normal or is something faulty?
Normal, it's saving the planet.
Old 4th May 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
that's good news
Old 5th May 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Hello Muchachos!

I´m starting to see MS-20 Minis on the Bay.

Was thinking about getting one, but also read about noise complains and cheap quality issues is this one really a toy?

Thanks!
Old 5th May 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzurd0 ➡️
Hello Muchachos!

Was thinking about getting one, but also read about noise complains and cheap quality issues is this one really a toy?

Thanks!
Of course it's not a toy...
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock ➡️
Normal, it's saving the planet.
The planet is actually fine and will continue to exist for millions of years to come. Humanity on the other hand...
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hello Muchachos!

Thanks!
I think it comes down to your tastes, needs, expectations. To me, this has really captured the vintage, warm, alive, organic sound I've been searching for all these years. The cost is a no-brainer. But again, it all comes down to what works for you. If I wanted a wrench and you gave me a hammer I'd be disappointed. If you want a soft and velvety grand piano, this is more like a tough saloon upright piano. It's worked out for me, because that's exactly what I was looking for.

Noise is a non-issue for me, I never notice unless I focus closely on it, even then it's not bad. But I think NIN sounds good too, maybe you only learn towards the more classical music side of the spectrum. I actually like adding distortion, bit reduction, overdrive to the MS-20 because it's sometimes too nice and controlled sounding. Some people ONLY prefer the raw undistorted sound of electric guitar like on early Les Paul recordings. I like them, but usually prefer a lot of effects and distortion. People back in the 50's would have had a heart attack if they heard some of the e-guitar sounds I like. But why sit and speculate, listen to sound examples, if it sounds good, it's good!

If you take care of it and treat it nicely the build quality is fine. Maybe the jacks will start having problems down the road, the fake nuts fall off, but I'm thinking those are fixable and not a big deal. If you're rough with it, intend to tour with it, or anything like that it's going to start falling apart because it was built to with price in mind. I don't know, I'm careful with mine, and it's still like new. I'm so blown away by what I get for the price that I sort of have a knee jerk reaction when someone starts talking about build quality being an issue. Yeah, it could have been built better, but not at that price.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Hello Muchachos!

Thanks!
Its a device for making noises and having fun with. So yes, it is a toy, like all musical instruments.

Doesn't seem like the best built thing from what I've experienced of it though. Not exactly going to fall apart in your hands though.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I picked one up a few months ago, as the price was great. It was a consolation prize after being able to preorder a moog sub37- which is still yet to arrive... I simply had to mess with something in the meantime.

I've never had a "new" synth, and all of my experience has been with old as dirt moog/arp stuff, but those are all built like tanks (well, the moog stuff, anyway) and from that alone you can say nothing built these days feels quite as solid as anything that old and still operating.

I expected much less from the ms20 mini, from reading here. This site is also full of incredibly anal people, who kind of like to fire off about what they expect, and scorch the earth with their opinions. Sure, it's not built as nice as a vintage synth, but I was surprised at the units heft, and feel. The mini keys are not at all an issue, and from the folks here, I was expecting it to feel like a cardboard box that would slide off a stand at the slightest tug. So far, it's solid. The knobs do what they should, and while they don't feel like they are built like "the old days", they also don't feel like a "toy". It certainly doesn't sound like a toy, either.

The patchbay is where people seem to be right on in regards to build quality- the rings are simply cosmetic lil doohickeys. All are holding strong, but I get the feeling these will be where something goes awry. The mini plugs are actually great, it makes sense and they are quite manageable... But the output having one is all kinds of bs. C'mon now, korg. I can't even envision a situation where this would be preferable. Yes, it's a simple fix (I would strongly recommend an right angle adapter with a bit of cable to take the strain off those horrid mini rings here... A long, rigid adapter plugged straight in will put strain on it and will most likely be the first to go under such weight).

The ms20 mini is legit, though. The sound is fantastic, and while it's a pretty complex looking set up, it's capable of great things- and really, even without messing with the patches it's pretty great sounding.

Sure, I notice when dialing back the filter past 1 o'clock, you pick up some "ffffffffffffffffff" in the signal, but if you are into the sound otherwise, it's easy enough to ignore. No worse than a lot of the variables that would come from some vintage synths I've messed with (but those issues were often random, and mysterious!).

It's a strange beast... Not a good synth for people thinking it's some kind of replacement for their micro-korg or what have you- it's a straight up analog synth, and more than worth of the dough they ask. I was contemplating that I might sell mine when the sub37 came in, but it sounds pretty unique on its own, and I'm having a ball with it, so I most likely will just end up keeping it!

Fwiw, I'm a guitar guy who loves geeky, analog synths, and not at all interested in EDM or electronica, I'm more into kraut rock, weird experimental stuff, and off-brand prog, so take what I say with a grain of salt in terms of what you may be looking to do with it... The noise is real, but not an issue for me. I expect odd things, as it's not something I can expect to replicate exact sounds with... Just carrying it back forth to practice and bumping the knobs in travel adds amusing variables... For what this is, the price is a steal!

The USB works... I can record midi performances but as noted, it's all on and off note only, no automation of any filters, etc. I do enjoy this fact, though also accept it as a limitation. I guess I'm still tickled by its bare bones, "DIY" sound creation- I love recording a pass at something in midi, then recording the synth live through an amp w/effects as I manipulate the controls. It's a nice way to create, and I'm not one to attempt to celebrate limitations and act the apologist for them by pretending it's secretly a boon, necessarily, but it has been a great eye opener and a delight... And were it all midi'ed up proper, I most likely would not have found that particular enjoyment, or the happy accidents that it creates.

Get one.
Old 8th May 2014 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Great calls. I've have my mini longer than most people here, I was lucky enough to get one from the first shipment and got the first one in New Zealand so far as I know. Been playing gigs, recording, jamming, rehearsing, playing through loud amps and PAs, and generally tinckering with it for a good year now. And just recently, have been using it with the Arturia Beatstep.
And for all this, the only bad thing I persoinally have to say about the mini is the same thing TheSwede brought up: the output jack.
For a performing musician, particularly a guitarist/bassist like myself, the minijack output is a poor design choce.
But apart from that, I love it, still not bored with it, still love the sound, still learning.
Great synth, love it!
And if you do buy it, next stop: ebay to pick up one of the gig babgs Korg Japan have put out, that thing changed the game for me, now I can take mine to gigs, on the plane (carryon) etc without worrying how to protect the thing.
Get one!
Old 9th May 2014
TBS
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
On the 'noise issue':
I've had my Mini for 6 months or so.
I can hear the noise everyone talks about....but it's not THAT bad and never an issue for me.
I recently played another Mini belonging to someone with a TON of experience with synths of all kinds.
When I played his I was SHOCKED at how much worse the noise on his was. It was significantly worse than on mine. The noise occurred in all the same places as mine but it was a ton louder.
When I told my friend that his was ridiculously noisy compared to mine, he was really surprised because he said that he had assumed he had one of the 'quieter ones'.
He said the same as me: "I can hear the noise everyone talks about....but it's not THAT bad and never an issue for me."
I just found it very interesting how different sounding the two Minis were and how similar both our perspectives were without having another Mini to compare ours to.

Thank you 'subjectivity', for stirring the pot.
Old 12th May 2014 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Yeah the noise thing is interesting. I've been playing mine pretty solidly for about a year and I've never really noticed the noise.
Old 17th May 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I got mine yesterday. It wasnt in my list ,but i saw it in my local music shop window and couldnt resist.

The build quality is pretty good ,and i dont have any complains ,knobs feel is fine, the case is pretty solid too.

The noise issue:( i only tried it through the headphones output) Noise is there , if you want "clean" sound you may be disappointed, like i was at first, but then when i started playing the synth ,it kinda stop bothering me. I couldnt stop making sounds with it!!

So after 1day with it i must say that this is a synth with tons of character, and a wide sonic pallette, dont let the above "issues" stop you from testing or even buying it.
Old 8th June 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Need input from other owners pls.

With the 2 oscillators fully open in the mixer section ,when I slightly detune them , I get a ...like static noise repeating sound according to the osc2 rate (with the filter half open and resonance around or above 5.)

Is this normal?
Old 8th June 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
MS 20 MINI will be my next synth.
Old 10th June 2014 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I just broke my ms-20 mini trying to mod it

I just broke my MS-20 mini trying to mod it.
EG2 is acting very strange,
and half the keys on the keyboard are not working (usb connection works)
i guess ill have to service it somewhere, but i cant find the schematics anywhere
does anyone have an idea?
muze
Old 11th June 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I am thinking of getting a MS-20 Mini, just wondering how the MIDI is, I read it's weak.

I saw this video on Youtube, Blade Runner Vangelis End Title all done on a MS-20 Mini with DP-8 used as a sequencer and playing then allowing the chord melody to be played live, just was wondering since I'm not too up on MIDI with Analogs, is there a multi-mode available or does this only do one patch at a time? Based on this video I am not sure how this was done?

📝 Reply