Quantcast
New Korg MS-20 Mini - Page 125 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Korg MS-20 Mini
Old 31st January 2014
  #3721
Lives for gear
 
SonicBern's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years


Ladies and Gentlemen

I fear we will see a KORG MS-20 Nano at musikmesse 2014...
Old 31st January 2014 | Show parent
  #3722
Lives for gear
 
Psychlist1972's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBern ➑️


Ladies and Gentlemen

I fear we will see a KORG MS-20 Nano at musikmesse 2014...
I was holding out for an 88 key graded hammer action MS-20, with PWM :D

Pete
Old 31st January 2014 | Show parent
  #3723
Lives for gear
 
SonicBern's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 ➑️
I was holding out for an 88 key graded hammer action MS-20, with PWM :D

Pete
Anything is possible with KORG
Old 31st January 2014
  #3724
Gear Maniac
 
Raleigh's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
My serial on me mini - 013007 - licensed to kill.
Old 31st January 2014
  #3725
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Wow, they're selling these like crazy! That or they increase the serial number by like 7 for each unit
Old 2nd February 2014 | Show parent
  #3726
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBern ➑️

I fear we will see a KORG MS-20 Nano at musikmesse 2014...
MS-10 Mini?
Old 2nd February 2014
  #3727
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
MS-0.20?
MS-point-20?
Old 2nd February 2014
  #3728
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
The mini is already nano enough. I expect Korg to release a poly or paraphonic analogue synth in the Microkorg form factor. They could borrow the 700s filter for this.
Old 2nd February 2014
  #3729
Lives for gear
 
aleyas's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Are there any examples of two MS-20s being used in conjunction? I imagine inter-patching between the two would result in some powerful semi-modular mayhem. Newueel on youtube has some pretty impressive works using the whole ms and sq family, but I'm more curious to hear what two MS-20s alone are capable of. Surely it's been done..?
Old 2nd February 2014 | Show parent
  #3730
Lives for gear
 
flat's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_M_R ➑️
MS-10 Mini?
Actually, I can imagine a new Volca based on the MS10.

Volca Wub

0:51 MS10 Wub! (so dirty & toxic you need a gas mask?)

Old 2nd February 2014
  #3731
Lives for gear
 
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I think we may see a Polythree from Korg. 3 Notes, half the size of the polysix and they put the battery in only half as dangerous a position as the original sixy beast. And of course it sounds great!
Old 2nd February 2014 | Show parent
  #3732
Lives for gear
 
flat's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro5 ➑️
I think we may see a Polythree from Korg. 3 Notes, half the size of the polysix and they put the battery in only half as dangerous a position as the original sixy beast. And of course it sounds great!
Its a common misconception that an alien xenomorph breached the hull of the Nostromo deep space vessel with its acid blood. Everyone knows Ash was secretly trying to fix his Polysix NI-cad at the time, then trying to pin the blame on some poor space beastie who got the hump and went on the rampage with disastrous results! Lol
Old 3rd February 2014
  #3733
Lives for gear
 
volumetrik's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Is it possible to modify the mini to use real metal nuts? Just wondering and not really that important..
Old 3rd February 2014 | Show parent
  #3734
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend ➑️
The mini is already nano enough. I expect Korg to release a poly or paraphonic analogue synth in the Microkorg form factor. They could borrow the 700s filter for this.
A switchable-and-combinable mono/paraphonic synth in a '70s vein would be an interesting pre-polyphony synth possibility from Korg. Very cheap to make and buy, and could easily sound good done right.
Old 3rd February 2014 | Show parent
  #3735
Lives for gear
 
flat's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell r. ➑️
A switchable-and-combinable mono/paraphonic synth in a '70s vein would be an interesting pre-polyphony synth possibility from Korg. Very cheap to make and buy, and could easily sound good done right.
Thats why I included the 'Delta' in the https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...ppen-next.html thread.

Delta 2 would probably be cheaper to make and buy than the Polysix idea.
Old 3rd February 2014 | Show parent
  #3736
Lives for gear
 
asynchro_nous's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleyas ➑️
Are there any examples of two MS-20s being used in conjunction? I imagine inter-patching between the two would result in some powerful semi-modular mayhem. Newueel on youtube has some pretty impressive works using the whole ms and sq family, but I'm more curious to hear what two MS-20s alone are capable of. Surely it's been done..?
Great question
Old 3rd February 2014 | Show parent
  #3737
Lives for gear
 
MarkR's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by volumetrik ➑️
Is it possible to modify the mini to use real metal nuts? Just wondering and not really that important..
Potentially, the current pots do have threads but a little out of reach from the regular nuts, but maybe some kind of skirt nut would work?

I was even considering replacing all the pots
Old 3rd February 2014 | Show parent
  #3738
Lives for gear
 
Psychlist1972's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR ➑️
Potentially, the current pots do have threads but a little out of reach from the regular nuts, but maybe some kind of skirt nut would work?

I was even considering replacing all the pots
The issue is the jacks, not the pots, IMHO.

The jacks are probably surface mount, and as far as I can tell, are plastic and have no threading. Replacing them would require finding an equivalent footprint with threads, and then desoldering all the old ones and soldering in replacements. It's not really worth the time.

The real jacks is definitely one appealing part of the new MS20. Jacks without a panel mount tend to put more stress on the board over time. For those and other reasons, I wouldn't expect the MS-20 mini to be something that you pass down to your grandchildren if you've ever gigged with it or you play it a lot (and use the patch panel a lot).

It's built to a price. The price is low enough that you can overlook things like this

Pete
Old 3rd February 2014
  #3739
Lives for gear
 
MarkR's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Ah, well not for all, they're all solid on mine... haven't been a problem, but they do seem a bit dumb
Old 3rd February 2014 | Show parent
  #3740
Lives for gear
 
Psychlist1972's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR ➑️
Ah, well not for all, they're all solid on mine... haven't been a problem, but they do seem a bit dumb
Most of mine (the plastic nuts) are a bit loose from the factory. They clip in, so that's expected.

The point is, the nuts do not take any stress off the PCB. The reason why you see panel mount on other synths is to let the metal case take the stress of inserting / removing plugs, or turning knobs.

Like I said, it's nowhere near the end of the world. They will eventually come off, though. One of mine came off right after I got it (pretty sure it was cracked in the factory).

Pete
Old 4th February 2014
  #3741
Gear Maniac
 
Raleigh's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
I'm stoked with my new MS-20 Mini, I've had it for a little over week now. Still trying to -understand- how deep the patching of it will go. Last night I patched together external sounds through the modulation generator and got the exact sound I was trying for. The first day I got it I had created the weirdest, organic sound, something like a cat trying to cough up the biggest hair ball it ever had. I wish I photographed the way it was set up, cause, I don't think I'll ever get that sound again.
Old 4th February 2014
  #3742
Lives for gear
 
R3Member's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
I've actually created a bizarre patch where all ten cables are used and actually modulate something one way or another. I would post a pic, but it looks really confusing, haha. I'll write it out in detail later when I get home. It actually allows you have a "default" setting that sounds totally normal with EG2 functioning as it usually does, but turns into total chaos with pretty much any other knob you turn.
Old 4th February 2014 | Show parent
  #3743
Lives for gear
 
SonicBern's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3Member ➑️
...a bizarre patch where all ten cables are used and actually modulate something one way or another. I would post a pic, but it looks really confusing,...
Korg MS-CABLE-18 Multicolor Patch Cables for MS-20 Mini - Midwest Pro Sound and Lighting

Possible solution
Old 4th February 2014 | Show parent
  #3744
Lives for gear
 
roland4387's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Serial#9431
Old 5th February 2014 | Show parent
  #3745
Lives for gear
 
R3Member's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3Member ➑️
I've actually created a bizarre patch where all ten cables are used and actually modulate something one way or another. I would post a pic, but it looks really confusing, haha. I'll write it out in detail later when I get home. It actually allows you have a "default" setting that sounds totally normal with EG2 functioning as it usually does, but turns into total chaos with pretty much any other knob you turn.
So here is it...

1. HEADPHONE output to ESP SIGNAL IN
2. ESP OUT #1 to TOTAL
3. ESP OUT #2 (Band Pass Filter) to EXT SIGNAL IN
4. ESP CV OUT to HP FILTER CUTOFF FREQ
5. Mod Wheel to EG1 CONTROL INPUT
6. Triangle MOD GEN OUTPUT to VCO 2 FREQ
7. Rectangle MOD GEN OUTOUT to SAMPLE & HOLD CLOCK
8. PINK NOISE GEN to SAMPLE & HOLD IN
9. SAMPLE & HOLD OUT to VCA IN
10. VCA OUT to LP FILTER CUTOFF FREQ

It would probably take way too long to explain exactly what each routing does individually, so I'll leave it a mystery. Patch it up, start tweaking some knobs and enjoy those really crazy sounds!

ProTip: Have ESP SIGNAL LEVEL all the way up, then adjust the ESP LOW CUT FREQ and ESP HI CUT FREQ knobs to your liking. It will add in extra tones of feedback.
Old 5th February 2014
  #3746
Lives for gear
 
TheBrightSide's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
^^^
I'll give a a try.
Looks like it's spaghetti tonight!
Old 5th February 2014
  #3747
Lives for gear
 
Psychlist1972's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
One thing I haven't sorted out is how to set up the EGs in a somewhat traditional sense where one handles VCA and the other handles VCF. I've tried what I thought would work, but haven't been able to get any decent results. I know EG1 is much more limited than EG2, but thought I'd give it a try anyway.

Has anyone done this? Seems even the MS-20 patch book avoids this, so maybe it's not possible or desirable.

Pete
Old 5th February 2014
  #3748
Lives for gear
 
Psychlist1972's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
One thing I haven't sorted out is how to set up the EGs in a somewhat traditional sense where one handles VCA and the other handles VCF. I've tried what I thought would work, but haven't been able to get any decent results. I know EG1 is much more limited than EG2, but thought I'd give it a try anyway.

Has anyone done this? Seems even the MS-20 patch book avoids this, so maybe it's not possible or desirable.

Pete
Old 5th February 2014 | Show parent
  #3749
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 ➑️
One thing I haven't sorted out is how to set up the EGs in a somewhat traditional sense where one handles VCA and the other handles VCF. I've tried what I thought would work, but haven't been able to get any decent results. I know EG1 is much more limited than EG2, but thought I'd give it a try anyway.

Has anyone done this? Seems even the MS-20 patch book avoids this, so maybe it's not possible or desirable.

Pete
Have you tried patching EG1 out to TOTAL? Then you can use EG2 for VCA, and EG1 for the high pass & low pass filters, as determined by their MG/T.EXT knobs.
Old 5th February 2014
  #3750
Z6Z
Gear Maniac
 
Z6Z's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Oh man, I'd love to own one so bad, but I'm a bit paranoid and phobic about fragile gear...
I live in a lovely country which basically has no synth shops (I've seen Gaia and Brutes in one shop, but that's all) so I have no opportunity to try one out and see how sturdy it is...

Oh well... I still have couple of weeks to decide until my "money-ship" (as they say here) arrives.
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 5073 views: 537852
Avatar for shortyedwards
shortyedwards 8th February 2021
replies: 76 views: 17930
Avatar for hcppp
hcppp 30th June 2020
replies: 813 views: 63381
Avatar for meh
meh 6 hours ago
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump