The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Korg MS-20 Mini
Old 18th January 2014 | Show parent
ARA
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 ➑️
Hacking one should be reasonable. I suspect the inside of the mS-20 mini is mostly air. It already supports MIDI in. It's too wide for a rack, of course, but it could be a desktop box if someone really wanted that.

Pete
Exactly, I suspect this as well, and personally don't see much of a point in paying for nostalgic recreation of its shape.
Old 20th January 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I've played around with the MS-20 Mini (every night) for a few weeks now and I must say, this thing is absolutely wonderful. I don't have that much experience with synths, but I can't imagine having this much fun just holding down a key (or playing a short sequence) and tweaking the knobs with any other synth. Of course I'm a bit biased, as I love the "ugly" sounds bands like D.A.F got out of this thing thirty years ago

I also like the contrast between this and my Analog Four, whenever I get enough of one I can switch over and I'm in an entirely different world. And the wonders of CV let me combine those two worlds, too!
Old 20th January 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Pick up a Monotribe and you can sync it to your ms-20 mini:

Old 21st January 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skira ➑️
Pick up a Monotribe and you can sync it to your ms-20 mini
That was actually one of the first things I did when I got my Mini, haha. Another cool thing you can do is use the drums as a gate trigger to come up with even weirder sequences. Also, since the Monotribe has both headphone and 1/4 outputs, one thing I like to do is route the 1/4 to my amp, then the headphone out into the ESP section of the Mini. From there, I can use the ESP as my CV and gate trigger generator, but I also then route the ESP audio out into EXT Signal In, which allows me to totally annihilate the audio on the Monotribe.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Pick up a Monotribe and you can sync it to your ms-20 mini:

That sound makes me smile a lot. Even that cheesy little drum machine is fine when it's paired with an MS20 because the contrast sounds good in a Cab Voltaire way.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 ➑️
MarkR is winning so far on highest serial number. Anyone here (not engadget) have a really low serial number of their own?

Pete
Mine is 000699...
Old 22nd January 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Just got my mini in from Guitar ****ner, they had it used for 350! I love this thing. I had an Ms-10 for years and having that extra osc makes such a huge difference. I wish everyone who ever asks a question on this forum about synthesis would read the manual for this synth first. I learned so much about sound design and synthesis the first time I read through it and its a joy to have a paper copy now. On the noise issue, I love you guys but yall are silly. Have you ever thought, "This Beatles song is amazing but I can't listen to it because its so noisy." No, no you haven't. Its a non issue and if anything, I can see the validity in complaining about the sometimes thumpy key release. Even that doesnt really matter in a track. This thing brings a different element to my setup and I encourage anyone who can to try it. I would take this over any new Moog except for the Voyager any day of the week. It's also a little surreal to see an MS with a usb port on the back. The future is strange I suppose.
Old 22nd January 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARA ➑️
It's probably been mentioned in this giant thread, but is there a chance of Korg releasing keyless "tabletop" version of ms-20 ? It would be a great follow-up.
It would, but I doubt it's in their plans. ~sigh~
Old 22nd January 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosium ➑️
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARA ➑️
It's probably been mentioned in this giant thread, but is there a chance of Korg releasing keyless "tabletop" version of ms-20 ? It would be a great follow-up.
It would, but I doubt it's in their plans. ~sigh~
It is in a 19" wide case with MIDI. Could probably be accomplished exclusively with case hacking.
Old 22nd January 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Is there any way to change the midi channel from 1 on the ms20 mini? Or is it just always just ch. 1?
Old 23rd January 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rordanks ➑️
Is there any way to change the midi channel from 1 on the ms20 mini? Or is it just always just ch. 1?
According to the Owner's Manual, "The only MIDI messages that can be transmitted and received at the USB port are note messages (Velocity is transmitted fixed at 64 and reception is disabled) on MIDI channel 1 (fixed)."
Old 23rd January 2014
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
I will never understand that choice.
Old 23rd January 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I mentioned it in this thread last year and also three days ago:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/9771860-post32.html

So it came true

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...-400-namm.html

Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBern ➑️
I mentioned it in this thread last year and also three days ago:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/9771860-post32.html

So it came true

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...-400-namm.html

Too expensive. If it were closer to $800 I'd be all over it. You do get to switch from the two different filters, which will be a huge thing for those people who had issues with the noise. Happy with my mini, don't need this.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by toine6 ➑️
Too expensive. If it were closer to $800 I'd be all over it. You do get to switch from the two different filters, which will be a huge thing for those people who had issues with the noise. Happy with my mini, don't need this.
The pricing is very strange...

I recall they gave a reason for the mini as not wanting to impact the S/H value of the originals. It did not sound like a business decision and if true was almost a personal concern. This could easily have been cheaper as it is the material costs, packaging costs (partly saved by kit), plus the extra filter that are the additional costs. It may be they do want to keep these special, but I hope they rethink and keep production.

It is always possible they will follow up next year with a more affordable version with some of the mods people have asked for. This one will test the water and set up full sized production...

Watch this space again
Old 24th January 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The kit costs nearly the same as a used MS20. And it's limited to a 1000 unit production run, so it's a collectors item. That explains the price.
Old 24th January 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The pricing is very strange...

I recall they gave a reason for the mini as not wanting to impact the S/H value of the originals.
This in itself is silly, why are they concerned preserving prices of failing equipment? These machines are old and beaten and more of them will stop working by the years, they have an opportunity to extend life of such instrument and more folks could afford it.
Old 25th January 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I recall they gave a reason for the mini as not wanting to impact the S/H value of the originals.
Sounds like a rationalization made back then on a forum by someone, not something Korg said.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Sounds like a rationalization made back then on a forum by someone, not something Korg said.
Korg Interview With MS20 Designers, 35 years between versions -Sonicstate.com

Why Did you Choose to make it smaller?

We have great respect for the original MS-20, so we felt that it would be devaluing to make the new model exactly the same size as the original. That's why the size is different than the original. We also felt that it looked good in a slightly smaller size.
Old 25th January 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The word "devaluing" is used in terms of "respect" not "value."
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
The word "devaluing" is used in terms of "respect" not "value."
So they made it Mini so people wouldn't lose "respect" for the very same instrument it is replicating? How does that even make sense? Not that it matters considering the fact that the MS-20's price has actually dropped a little bit on the used market.
Old 25th January 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm curious if, aside from the MkII filter option, the components inside the MS-20 Kit are exactly the same components as the Mini or are they higher quality.
Old 25th January 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Well my Korg Mini finally arrived, after waiting far longer than I expected... I'm stoked! However after messin with it for a bit... I realize its gonna take me a while to understand the in and outs of the totality of this thing!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleigh ➑️
Well my Korg Mini finally arrived, after waiting far longer than I expected... I'm stoked! However after messin with it for a bit... I realize its gonna take me a while to understand the in and outs of the totality of this thing!
Watch this series of videos. It's simple, the way he explains it.

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3Member ➑️
So they made it Mini so people wouldn't lose "respect" for the very same instrument it is replicating? How does that even make sense?
The word 'devaluing' used in that one sentence flowed immediately from discussing the instrument, not prices of the original. It may not make sense to you but probably does in Japan.

As to why an unassembled model released in 2014 is different, I don't know, but I think that's a waste of focus and resources anyway.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The word 'devaluing' used in that one sentence flowed immediately from discussing the instrument, not prices of the original. It may not make sense to you but probably does in Japan.

As to why an unassembled model released in 2014 is different, I don't know, but I think that's a waste of focus and resources anyway.
It won't take too many resources away. It's only a limited run meant for hardcore enthusiasts using existing designs. They're only doing a 1000 then that's it.

It's not a permanent addition to their product portfolio. It's purely a prestige product meant to bolster the brand. Think of how car companies like Nissan or Toyota will do limited runs of super cars - they sell in low numbers and don't make much money but add to the coolness factor of the overall brand.

They'll probably be worth a fortune in 15 years too. This is definitely something collectors would grab in an instant. Especially with the uniqueness of the two filter implementation choices.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend ➑️
They'll probably be worth a fortune in 15 years too.
The MS-20 was made until 1983. Was it worth "a fortune" in 1995? No. Moreover, with so many original machines still in use plus the flood of what will be tens of thousands of just about identical-sounding MS-20 minis around it's even less likely that this kit will be an investment which appreciates significantly in value in 15 years. "A fortune"? Really doubtful. But go buy one and put it in your basement and sit on it for 15 years and see. We've seen an average annualized S&P return of around 6.5% over the last four decades - that would make $1,000 invested in the S&P worth a little under $2600 in 15 years. Hard to believe this synth kit will be worth as much.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The MS-20 was made until 1983. Was it worth "a fortune" in 1995? No. Moreover, with so many original machines still in use plus the flood of what will be tens of thousands of just about identical-sounding MS-20 minis around it's even less likely that this kit will be an investment which appreciates significantly in value in 15 years. "A fortune"? Really doubtful. But go buy one and put it in your basement and sit on it for 15 years and see. We've seen an average annualized S&P return of around 6.5% over the last four decades - that would make $1,000 invested in the S&P worth a little under $2600 in 15 years. Hard to believe this synth kit will be worth as much.
In the UK the original MS-20's were going for roughly Β£1,500 (US$2,473) early last year. That is a lot of money for a budget electronic instrument to me. And it cost half that at retail back in the 70's, not in 'real' terms but nominally. I don't know how much it cost to buy one in 1995; but prices of vintage instruments fluctuate wildly all the time, they have even sold for much more than Β£1.5K before, though currently the prices seem to coming down since a lot of people sold their vintage models for a profit and got the new cheaper mini. Currently the vintage MS-20's are still worth more than the new mini.

But in any case since this is a limited edition, with both filter designs on the circuit. It's not going to sell for the same price as the original or even the mini. Just in the same way as the educational version of the MS-20 sells for a premium price over the regular version because of its rarity - even though it sounds the same. Personally I can only see this instrument appreciating in price in the long term, but by exactly how much is impossible to predict because of how markets fluctuate.
Old 25th January 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Euro prices can sometimes be weird and anomalous. 1500 pounds after the mini was announced? Well, they're certainly not at that price now, just check ebay.co.uk and especially the completed auctions. And those prices are not going to go any higher as minis continue to flood the market. Which was my point. You can claim that the rarity of 1,000 units will guaranty that it will be worth "a fortune" in a decade and a half but I don't think that it will be as desirable as you think, considering the easy availability of close-sounding, much cheaper, easily available alternatives. But if you think you can make a fortune then you know what to preorder now.
Old 30th January 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
It also depends on the appeal of the two filter types. I wonder how the second filter variation sounds with the mini's structure.
πŸ“ Reply