Quantcast
New Korg MS-20 Mini - Page 123 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Korg MS-20 Mini
Old 8th January 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Anyone know if Korg is still having trouble keeping up with demand for the MS-20 minis? I ordered one from my local music store early in December, and it still hasn't got here, they recently told me it was on back order. Now I have no idea when it will get here? Does that mean back order directly from Korg? I'm hoping its just slightly behind due to Christmas and the Holidays.
Old 8th January 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The major retailers (Sweetwater, Zzounds, Musicians Friend, etc) all have it in stock.
Old 14th January 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Serial Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 ➑️
Hi All

Because some folks were curious about the noise, I recorded this:

I forgot and left the El Capistan on, so the noise gets slightly masked, but you can still clearly hear it in certain styles of playing.

My MS-20 is serial # 002964

Pete
My Serial is 003179.... does each number mean something different for example 002### is the US and 003### Canada or were our synths built 215 units apart???
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberwalky ➑️
I am completely happy with the MS20mini. It's not terribly small. It fits, and I love using the ESP. I'm a more active member over on VSE, but if you're interested, check out the recent comp we had featuring a few ALL ms20 mini tracks. Mine is :Information Retrieval". I spent 2 hours just getting those drum sounds, but damn was it fun! https://soundcloud.com/vintage-synth-comp
i love the sounds in "They Called Me Mono!"
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChancexlanD ➑️
My Serial is 003179.... does each number mean something different for example 002### is the US and 003### Canada or were our synths built 215 units apart???
I would assume they all get built sequentially in a factory in China, probably starting with serial number 1000.

Pete
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 ➑️
I would assume they all get built sequentially in a factory in China, probably starting with serial number 1000.

Pete
nah I've seen below 1000 serials, you can see it here

Korg MS-20 Mini analog synthesizer hands-on
Old 14th January 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
3000 units + in less than a year..

At this rate they'll have sold 10,000 units in three years.

A small market for analog ?

Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Not sure what order the serials go in, but I just checked mine I got a couple weeks ago, I'm in canada and it is #008400 . Still has noise, but I think it sounds great, makes me feel like Mr. Oizo
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell r. ➑️
3000 units + in less than a year..

At this rate they'll have sold 10,000 units in three years.

A small market for analog ?

Ah, yes, absolutely a small niche market. Probably by next year there will be more interesting synths available, so if they ever make it to unit 10.000?

In the (highly unlikely case) they make a 50% profit on the sale of a unit, that would mean a net profit of ca. 1 million dollar for 3.000 units. And although they build on existing techniques and technology, I think the development costs of such a synth are still pretty high.
Old 14th January 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
They are over 10,000 already
Old 15th January 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I'm having an ESP issue ... able to process audio from my phone through the filters with great success (using instructions from another thread) but cannot get a signal from the Microkorg using the same patch. Tried it direct and through a Microcube but no luck ... any ideas?
Old 15th January 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR ➑️
They are over 10,000 already
Yup somewhere around there, I bought mine in December and it's just below 9,000.

Do we know any sales figures for modern mono analogs? Stuff like DSI Mopho or Arturia's Minibrute, it'd be interesting to compare them sales wise. I have no idea how much these things sell.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Life ➑️
Yup somewhere around there, I bought mine in December and it's just below 9,000.

Do we know any sales figures for modern mono analogs? Stuff like DSI Mopho or Arturia's Minibrute, it'd be interesting to compare them sales wise. I have no idea how much these things sell.
A good comparison would probably be the Minibrute/Microbrute combination. The MS-20 has the benefit of a recognized synth name, but the Minibrute was really one of the first modern two-octave analog monos.

Would also love to know how the Bass station II is doing. It sounds amazing, but I can only justify so many tiny keyboards around here

Pete
Old 15th January 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
10,000 now, at the current rate, would be 30,000 in three years. Those seem serious numbers.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell r. ➑️
10,000 now, at the current rate, would be 30,000 in three years. Those are serious numbers.
Right, but sales don't work that way. It's usually some sort of curve with either front loading or rear loading depending on whether it is hyped up front, or is an undervalues gem that needs discovery.

Sales seem good, but we can't really predict how good they are. Probably the best indicator of that will be how long Korg keeps the MS-20 Mini on the market.

Pete
Old 15th January 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
On vintagesynth a few years back, there was a guy who worked on hardware synths in the nineties for one of the big firms - pre-software and higher sales - saying that if they hit a figure like 7 or 8,000 for a synth, they'd consider it a big success. Obviously that was digital and the development costs are higher for ana. as mentioned, & I'm no sales expert, but it strikes me these numbers are easily breaking out of what these companies would consider a niche market.
Old 15th January 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
mine is 10,069
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Mine is: 006413
Old 15th January 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
MarkR is winning so far on highest serial number. Anyone here (not engadget) have a really low serial number of their own?

Pete
Old 15th January 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
MarkR is winning so far on highest serial number. Anyone here (not engadget) have a really low serial number of their own?

Pete
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by channel0 ➑️
sounds nice, could be useful in a videoclip involving bees :D
very usable to me since i work as a tv reporter/cameraman/editor for a local tvstation. always on the lookout for interesting soundscapes ;D
how did you patch it? (the clip was too short to see all the ins and outs)
Sorry for the late reply.

I used 3 cables.

Pink noise to S&H in.
Total to S&H out.
Modulation Generator square/pulse to S&H clock.

Modulation generator waveform fully clockwise.

PS. I don't really have a clue to what I'm doing. I just tweak
some knobs and hope for the best.
Old 16th January 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Arrgh! I'm still waiting for mine to get here, over a month now. Talked with my music store guys recently and they basically have no idea when it'll get here. Plus they say it first must be tuned at Korg when it gets to the US. I'm begining to wonder if I should have just bought one directly from Japan on Ebay.
Old 16th January 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hello. Besides the normal noise of 20 ms mini, I started to notice noise when turning the team.The noise is like that after tapping fade. They note with the sustain level to maximum and also high vco. It's just when I turn on the ms20 mini and makes it prolonge sustain. If the sustain level or levels of the vco are then switched on at zero noise occurs but almost intantaneo and disappears. To some more this happens? is normal to happen? please if anyone knows tell me. thanks
Old 16th January 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleigh ➑️
Arrgh! I'm still waiting for mine to get here, over a month now. Talked with my music store guys recently and they basically have no idea when it'll get here.
You never bothered to note where you are located other than to say that you contacted your "local music store". As I replied earlier in this thread all the major US/internet dealers have it in stock. If you're in the US just cancel your local order and buy online.
Old 17th January 2014 | Show parent
ARA
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
It's probably been mentioned in this giant thread, but is there a chance of Korg releasing keyless "tabletop" version of ms-20 ? It would be a great follow-up.
Old 17th January 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
@Skira- Well its a long story, I bought it on lay-away, its all paid off now, as I didn't have all the cash to buy in one go. A friend of mine who buys stuff at this store recently told me that they don't refund money, only exchanges. I haven't pressed them on the issue, yet..... I'm trying to be patient, so well see what happens.
Old 17th January 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Never do layaway again!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARA ➑️
It's probably been mentioned in this giant thread, but is there a chance of Korg releasing keyless "tabletop" version of ms-20 ? It would be a great follow-up.
Meh...MS-20 was Korg's trial for the analog synth market of the 21st century. I don't think that they will do anything similar. We might see another classic synth, but I believe that they will release polyphonic analog with modern features. it makes more sense as a next step, because polyphony is something that more people want.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARA ➑️
Nah no way, it'd probably drop the price by Β£25 or less and save 15 cms, really not worth Korg's effort, you could always mod one.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR ➑️
Nah no way, it'd probably drop the price by Β£25 or less and save 15 cms, really not worth Korg's effort, you could always mod one.
Hacking one should be reasonable. I suspect the inside of the mS-20 mini is mostly air. It already supports MIDI in. It's too wide for a rack, of course, but it could be a desktop box if someone really wanted that.

Pete
πŸ“ Reply