Quantcast
New Korg MS-20 Mini - Page 121 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Korg MS-20 Mini
Old 20th November 2013
  #3601
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Anyone using an analog sequencer with their mini yet? Not to bring up clicks again, but as soon as i patch my sequence trigger to the trig in, if a sequence is not started, I get a constant rhythmic clicking sound. Once the sequence is playing it sounds fine, but this is a problem if I want to turn off certain steps of my sequence, because when its supposed to be silent over the step that I turned off, I'm getting audible clicks, loud enough to throw off the creation of a rhythmic pattern. Am i doing something wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 20th November 2013 | Show parent
  #3602
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide ➑️
Has anyone had problems connecting a midi cable to their mini?
I just read a thread where someone couldn't connect a cable to theirs, so I tried mine, and it wouldn't fit either! The connection is too small.
I have never noticed before, because I only ever use the usb connection.
This could be quite an issue.
Maybe it got downsized to 85% too. Similar thing has happened to me when trying to cut an enclosure with laser cutter and someone converted the drawing to another format with different DPI. Luckily it was just a proto sheet of cardboard and not a production model
Old 20th November 2013 | Show parent
  #3603
Gear Maniac
 
sensorfold's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide ➑️
Has anyone had problems connecting a midi cable to their mini?
I just read a thread where someone couldn't connect a cable to theirs, so I tried mine, and it wouldn't fit either! The connection is too small.
I have never noticed before, because I only ever use the usb connection.
This could be quite an issue.
I have several midi cable brands. The metal shield conduit over the connectors vary in thicknesses. I'm using a 10 ft Hosa cable that fits with no problem. Only one brand I have does not fit as the metal conduit is too thick. Midi works fine, for what it does on the unit- notes only.
Old 20th November 2013 | Show parent
  #3604
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
I had a humourous and slightly painful moment last night at practice when I had to explain to the rest of the band that you can't play chords on the MS20.
They were asking me to play a chord.
I asked if they were serious since this is a monophonic synth and at best, I could play a two note chord by detuning one of the oscillators.
Minds were blown...
Especially when I demonstrated this by detuning the oscillator at volume running through my tape echo...
Old 21st November 2013 | Show parent
  #3605
Lives for gear
 
R3Member's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_hombre ➑️
I asked if they were serious since this is a monophonic synth and at best, I could play a two note chord by detuning one of the oscillators.
Minds were blown...
We finally have an answer to the lifelong question, "You have 2 Osc and you detune them..than what?"



Minds get blown.
Old 21st November 2013 | Show parent
  #3606
Lives for gear
 
TheBrightSide's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensorfold ➑️
I have several midi cable brands. The metal shield conduit over the connectors vary in thicknesses. I'm using a 10 ft Hosa cable that fits with no problem. Only one brand I have does not fit as the metal conduit is too thick. Midi works fine, for what it does on the unit- notes only.
Thanks for the reply.
I've tried 4 different midi cables (all different brands) and none of them fit.
A couple got halfway in, but not enough to work.
Not a huge problem for me to rely on usb though.
Old 21st November 2013 | Show parent
  #3607
Lives for gear
 
R3Member's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
I tried four different sized Hosa MIDI cables, a single one from Radioshack, plus multiple Sanoxy USB/MIDI cables and every one of them fit into the MIDI port just fine. If you're comfortable with taking the back panel off, it might be worth seeing if the MIDI port got angled crooked when the panel was screwed on. That's the only thing I can think of that would be blocking a cable from fitting in entirely.
Old 21st November 2013 | Show parent
  #3608
Lives for gear
 
TheBrightSide's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3Member ➑️
I tried four different sized Hosa MIDI cables, a single one from Radioshack, plus multiple Sanoxy USB/MIDI cables and every one of them fit into the MIDI port just fine. If you're comfortable with taking the back panel off, it might be worth seeing if the MIDI port got angled crooked when the panel was screwed on. That's the only thing I can think of that would be blocking a cable from fitting in entirely.
Good idea, I might try opening it up one day when I am feeling confident.
Though looking at the plug, it appears perfectly aligned and straight.
Old 28th November 2013 | Show parent
  #3609
Deleted 24cad98
Guest
pitch knob

Pitch issue

Sort of an ocd thang. My pitch knob is slightly left of center when both vcos are perfectly in tune. I don't notice e any issues at all etc. Is this normal? Problematic in some way? I have a korg tech in town.

Thanks in advance any replies.

Love the mini. Sounds great. Noise no big deal at all. Just eq the high frequency away if you are making a bass etc.
Old 28th November 2013 | Show parent
  #3610
Lives for gear
 
Psychlist1972's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tok ➑️
Pitch issue

Sort of an ocd thang. My pitch knob is slightly left of center when both vcos are perfectly in tune. I don't notice e any issues at all etc. Is this normal? Problematic in some way? I have a korg tech in town.


(no, I wouldn't worry about it. It'll likely drift over time anyway. Always let your VCO-based synths warm up for an hour before you tune them.)
Old 28th November 2013 | Show parent
  #3611
Moderator
 
golden beers's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_hombre ➑️
I had a humourous and slightly painful moment last night at practice when I had to explain to the rest of the band that you can't play chords on the MS20.
They were asking me to play a chord.
I asked if they were serious since this is a monophonic synth and at best, I could play a two note chord by detuning one of the oscillators.
Minds were blown...
Especially when I demonstrated this by detuning the oscillator at volume running through my tape echo...
ha! just wanted to be a nerd and say that there is a way of patching the ms20 so it's duo-phonic.
Old 28th November 2013
  #3612
Deleted 24cad98
Guest
Appreciate the reply psychlist :-)
Old 28th November 2013 | Show parent
  #3613
Lives for gear
 
asynchro_nous's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide ➑️
Good idea, I might try opening it up one day when I am feeling confident.
Though looking at the plug, it appears perfectly aligned and straight.
I have one with the same problem.

I bought two -- one is perfectly fine, and they even appear to be from the same batch (they even arrived in a dual box sort of deal).

I decided to just keep it and maybe have an authorized service center repair it during the warranty period.
Old 15th December 2013
  #3614
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
I have a question and some comments:

Question: VCO1 pulse width narrows to nothing at about 2 o'clock and then the last quarter of a turn is pointless on my unit. Is this normal?

Comments: I don't own the original and have only played one once many years ago. That said, this thing sounds great to me with lots of interesting little nooks and crannies to be explored. I'm not sure how I will fit it into what I do, as it seems to centre around the screaming filter and lends itself to noisy stuff. Which brings me to the noise ... I had no idea it was an issue until I bought one, heard the noise and then got on the tubes to find out if mine was normal. I am a bit surprised at the level of noise - easily the noisiest thing I own. Mine can be shaped by the LPF and I think there is some bleed from the HPF too. I wouldn't say it's unusable though, just a bit disappointing. There are clearly some parts of the synth and sounds which have to be avoided or skirted around. But there is so much else to be discovered and used that I don't think it would make me send it back to Korg (I can't anyway, I bought it 2nd hand). I wouldn't knock back a fix for it though if one became available.

Yes, mini keys suck balls but maybe it's not such an issue after all- I'm a player but this synth seems to be about exploration of timbre in composition so I can probably live with them.

Construction seems to be fine. It seems quite cheaply made but hey that's why we can now afford the damn thing. Knobs seem fine to me. Patch bay works. It's hard to do the half in/half out thing when there are a few cords in though. Was this easier with the original?

I might have paid a little extra for full size keys and less noise but overall I think there is a lot of fun to be had here.

I'm looking forward to hooking it up with my X911 and would love a side by side with the Minibrute, BSII, Pulse 2 and Xenophone thingy. Might have to save my pennies!
Old 15th December 2013 | Show parent
  #3615
Lives for gear
 
DJRAZZ's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_hombre ➑️
I had a humourous and slightly painful moment last night at practice when I had to explain to the rest of the band that you can't play chords on the MS20.
They were asking me to play a chord.
I asked if they were serious since this is a monophonic synth and at best, I could play a two note chord by detuning one of the oscillators.
Minds were blown...
Especially when I demonstrated this by detuning the oscillator at volume running through my tape echo...
Gotta love band members. they can be really clueless and frankly just don't really care about what us synth geeks are up to as long as we are getting the job done.

Not to be arrogant and maybe it is the synth/keyboard player in me. but I make it a point to be able to both know about and play, at least a little, as many instruments as possible. It makes talking about gear with other band members more fun, at least for me. I really do like to help people and love giving good advice. Thus being on this forum.

Same goes for DJ'ing , running sound, and running a studio.

Just don't try and play other instruments at practice, they don't like that.

Old 15th December 2013
  #3616
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
I just got mine yesterday, and contrary to what I've been reading online, I find the quality more fragile rather than cheap. If they really re-made it just like original but at 86% then I'm sure they had to put some care into making it all fit properly.

My unit does the PW knob at 2:00 thing too, and there's also a bit of noise out of headphone out. But once the oscillator level was up high enough, it masks the noise. Seems like it's all very much a part of its sound, and what a lovely sound it is indeed.
Old 15th December 2013 | Show parent
  #3617
Here for the gear
 
rordanks's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Did you get your ms20 in toronto, Or did you order it from USA or japan? I've had mine on order here for what seems like a life time!
Old 18th December 2013 | Show parent
  #3618
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
does the ms20 vintage carry any of that noise?
Old 18th December 2013
  #3619
Gear Nut
 
sunny pedaal's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
yes it does,
it can be reached by osc 1 the fourth waveform position, and also on the patchfield, pink and white...
Old 18th December 2013 | Show parent
  #3620
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny pedaal ➑️
yes it does,
it can be reached by osc 1 the fourth waveform position, and also on the patchfield, pink and white...
cheers for posting. i meant the output noise
Old 18th December 2013
  #3621
Lives for gear
 
horseface's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Are people STILL going on about noise? Have you heard the noise some electric guitar amps put out? Now that's REAL noise.

The mini is sometimes noisy. BUT IT SOUNDS GREAT! Get over it.

What kind of clinical crystalline new-age noodling are people doing with their synths where a bit of hiss is going to all but ruin their production? If you don't like a bit of fssssss, there's always Albino and Massive.
Old 18th December 2013 | Show parent
  #3622
Lives for gear
 
enossified's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I have read about it both ways

A number of pro reviewers who put the mini side by side with an original MS20 said the mini had less noise.

Then lots of folks on teh interwebz said the exact opposite. Wot a shock

Reality: the original MS20 was a cheap machine, built down to a low price. A MiniMoog it aint. So like most cheap electronic devices, it was noisy. That's just the way it is. Whether the mini is really noisier or not almost doesn't matter...all analog synths are noisy to some extent.

If you want dead quiet, stick with digital.
Old 18th December 2013
  #3623
Gear Nut
 
sunny pedaal's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
i think, as far as i get the story ( with a history of owing at least 6 ms20's over the past 30 so years) :
the mini, the ms20 with old filter, the ms20 with newer filter.
the first about 3-6 db more noise, the last one technically speaking the best.
all of them great fun , lots of tweaking and espec learning pleasure for the buckets
cheers indeed , have one on me.
and to be honest, they are all the best you can get for the tight funfair kind of dirty bleeps and screaming noisy kind of thing
still cant seperate of it, sold them 5 times, bought another one. this time the middle type, original, with the old filter. put a ( tape ) delay behind it, ping pong or so, and touch the electricity. no more, no less
it's a right thing korg brought it out again, the instrument certainly deserves a long life.
so what about noise, heh.....
Old 20th December 2013 | Show parent
  #3624
Lives for gear
 
Stevism's Avatar
 
6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseface ➑️
Are people STILL going on about noise?
yeah this is the first time i'm dropping in this thread for awhile and i can't believe that it's STILL being debated.

just GS for ya haha
Old 20th December 2013
  #3625
Lives for gear
 
turnstile's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Found myself getting lost in a demo model on the floor of Guitar Center for an hour. Picking one up this Saturday. Planning on doing the basic PW modulation mod. upon receipt as well as tethering it up to an Echoplex and Memory Man. Perhaps an old spring reverb?

What other mods, and/or EFX are you guys using with your Mini's?
Old 20th December 2013
  #3626
Gear Nut
 
sunny pedaal's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
spring reverb and analog synth is always a good combination
Old 20th December 2013
  #3627
Lives for gear
 
MarkR's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseface ➑️
Are people STILL going on about noise? Have you heard the noise some electric guitar amps put out? Now that's REAL noise.

The mini is sometimes noisy. BUT IT SOUNDS GREAT! Get over it.

What kind of clinical crystalline new-age noodling are people doing with their synths where a bit of hiss is going to all but ruin their production? If you don't like a bit of fssssss, there's always Albino and Massive.
If you don't like a bit of fssssss, there's always every other synth ever made.
Old 20th December 2013
  #3628
Lives for gear
 
MarkR's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Mine's coming on mondayy
Old 20th December 2013 | Show parent
  #3629
Lives for gear
 
TheBrightSide's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnstile ➑️
Found myself getting lost in a demo model on the floor of Guitar Center for an hour. Picking one up this Saturday. Planning on doing the basic PW modulation mod. upon receipt as well as tethering it up to an Echoplex and Memory Man. Perhaps an old spring reverb?

What other mods, and/or EFX are you guys using with your Mini's?
Enjoying MXR stereo chorus on mine. Though any decent chorus will sound great.
Old 20th December 2013 | Show parent
  #3630
Lives for gear
 
riddimshakk's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years


Uploaded with ImageShack.us
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 5073 views: 537857
Avatar for shortyedwards
shortyedwards 8th February 2021
replies: 76 views: 17930
Avatar for hcppp
hcppp 30th June 2020
replies: 813 views: 63387
Avatar for meh
meh 7 hours ago
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump