New Korg MS-20 Mini - Page 120 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Korg MS-20 Mini
Old 5th November 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kupiti ➑️
I've had mine for a few days now, I just powered it up after not playing it for 24 hours and it made no sound, the power supply had a noise coming from it, I left it on to see what happened then it started emitting mad noises before going back to normal. Is this just normal warming up behaviour for non digitally controlled analogs?
It sounds like a problem with the power supply - these are being made cheaper and cheaper. Power supplies I had in the 1980's are still working great, while I've had to toss out many newer ones in the last few years. These new smaller switching power supplies are the worst... especially for audio...

It might be that you had a brief power surge which hurt the power supply but failed to kill it. All of my gear that takes a wall wart gets disconnected from power when not in use. I keep everything on those power conditioners with big on/off rockers on the front... When I leave the studio, it's easy to turn everything off.

I would call Korg's Customer Support immediately - while it's still under warranty - and have them send you out a new one. Or exchange the whole unit while still under warranty if they won't just exchange the wall wart.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Here's an example of the scratchy sound. Resonance is at max all the way through, it starts to distort when I turn the main VOLUME past 6.

Also the synth started drifting and distorting like wild like it was dying a few minutes ago, with no modulation applied or patch points set, no ring mod etc.
I have not experienced that with mine. I would take it to a friend's house and try it on their power (since you mentioned some power issues). It could be getting power starved. If you get the same results, return it.
Old 5th November 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Question: Can I use the Tiptop stackable patch cables with the MS20? I want to multiply the mod gen to a few CV ins.

I am loving mine. I hear the noise issue on the headphones, but it's much quieter on the signal out. I would have paid $100 for better build quality and a silent VCA, but I'm not complaining. An OG MS-20 usually has issues of it's own (not to mention the price).
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottgibbons ➑️
It sounds like a problem with the power supply - these are being made cheaper and cheaper. Power supplies I had in the 1980's are still working great, while I've had to toss out many newer ones in the last few years. These new smaller switching power supplies are the worst... especially for audio...

It might be that you had a brief power surge which hurt the power supply but failed to kill it. All of my gear that takes a wall wart gets disconnected from power when not in use. I keep everything on those power conditioners with big on/off rockers on the front... When I leave the studio, it's easy to turn everything off.

I would call Korg's Customer Support immediately - while it's still under warranty - and have them send you out a new one. Or exchange the whole unit while still under warranty if they won't just exchange the wall wart.
I'm using a mains conditioner with surge protection, I had other stuff plugged into the same extension including another analog synth, and nothing unusual happened with them.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I'm using a mains conditioner with surge protection, I had other stuff plugged into the same extension including another analog synth, and nothing unusual happened with them.
Could simply be a faulty AC adaptor. Try another known good 9v AC adaptor.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjarvis ➑️
Could simply be a faulty AC adaptor. Try another known good 9v AC adaptor.
I'm awful with power supply terms. By adaptor do you mean wall wart or travel adaptor? I used an 'earthed EU to GB travel adapter', the power supply was the ka350 that came with the synth.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I'm awful with power supply terms. By adaptor do you mean wall wart or travel adaptor? I used an 'earthed EU to GB travel adapter', the power supply was the ka350 that came with the synth.
I'm sorry, I'm thinking US centrically. I mean the power supply.

I would call Korg and get their recommendation. They might have a simple solution or recommend a different power supply (if the supplied one is incompatible with your region).

Hope this gets fixed for you! I love my little monster!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Question: Can I use the Tiptop stackable patch cables with the MS20? I want to multiply the mod gen to a few CV ins.

I am loving mine. I hear the noise issue on the headphones, but it's much quieter on the signal out. I would have paid $100 for better build quality and a silent VCA, but I'm not complaining. An OG MS-20 usually has issues of it's own (not to mention the price).
Probably depends on a number of things. On my full modular, I can multiple a few things if the voltage source is strong enough. However, if I tried to multiple the CV out of my minibrute, I could drive no more than two oscillators before having problems.

The solution is active or buffered multiples or a mixer. You may be able to use the stacked cables a little here, but if you hear a drop (in pitch or how the filter is reacting, or something else) then you know you need to go active.

Pete
Old 5th November 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Thanks for the info Pete! I still haven't taken the modular plunge. Any stand alone active multiples you can recommend?
Old 5th November 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Also one more noob question: When I patch the momentary switch directly to a CV, it is on until pressed. To get a patch that does something, like applies noise when I press the momentary switch, I have to patch into the EG1 and use it to reverse the trigger. It this normal, or is it a production error? Like it's wired in reverse?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Thanks for the info Pete! I still haven't taken the modular plunge. Any stand alone active multiples you can recommend?
I haven't personally tried it, but perhaps the CP-251 with a bunch of 1/4 to 1/8" cables might do it.

CP-251 Moogerfooger Control Processor | Moog Music Inc

Somebody (maybe me) really needs to make a modern equivalent of the old accessory box for the MS-20 (forgot what it was called). I seem to recall it let you interface CV to other 1v/oct gear, and also had some attenuators (or amps, I forget), multiples and other stuff.

Pete
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Also one more noob question: When I patch the momentary switch directly to a CV, it is on until pressed. To get a patch that does something, like applies noise when I press the momentary switch, I have to patch into the EG1 and use it to reverse the trigger. It this normal, or is it a production error? Like it's wired in reverse?
Switch should be wired to a gate, not a CV.
gate: on/off
CV: variable over time (pitch, envelopes, etc)

You can't wire a switch in reverse and the rest of the connections are PCB-mount, so seems unlikely this is an error of any sort.

Pete
Old 6th November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Anyone know if the MS20m can act as a Midi to CV converter via its pitch and gate outputs? I'd like to hook up my Cat to it and have my Mac sequence it through the MS20m's USB or MIDI port. I was looking at the Microbrute for this type application, however Arturia said that you could only use its own sequencer to seq external synths via CV.

Thanks
Old 6th November 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnstile ➑️
Anyone know if the MS20m can act as a Midi to CV converter via its pitch and gate outputs? I'd like to hook up my Cat to it and have my Mac sequence it through the MS20m's USB or MIDI port. I was looking at the Microbrute for this type application, however Arturia said that you could only use its own sequencer to seq external synths via CV.

Thanks
Not sure if it can, but keep in mind that the Korg MS-20 uses a v/hz standard instead of v/oct. I also think the gate is reversed.

Not sure what the cat uses.

Pete

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
it's normal
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 ➑️
Not sure if it can, but keep in mind that the Korg MS-20 uses a v/hz standard instead of v/oct. I also think the gate is reversed.

Not sure what the cat uses.

Pete
Thanks. Your right as the Cat uses; 1v/oct (0 to 3v), +15v Gate (0v low). I was going to buy a Kenton Pro-SOLO MkII but then thought it might be better to find a modern mono w/ MIDI that can double as a converter...
Old 7th November 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Does the MS-20 mini have a schematic available? Is there any information about component changes?
Old 8th November 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I had a scary moment with my MS-20. I had left it on, went and ran some errands, when I got back all the lights on it were off, yet the power volume knob was still at 10 so I knew no one had turned it off. I turned it off and then back on and it came back to life. Apparently it has an auto shut off. I guess I should have RTFM.

"Auto power off function
1. The MS-20 mini is automatically turned off if none of the following operations are performed
for 4 hours.
Sound is produced with the keyboard; Note On via MIDI IN or USB MIDI; input to TRIG IN
2. When turning on the MS-20 mini again, turn the VOLUME knob counterclockwise to turn it off, and
then turn on the device.
TIP The auto power off function is enabled as a factory setting (default.)"
Old 11th November 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
That auto off function is pretty boss.
I've been enjoying getting really mean overdriven filter action by running my heaphone out into the SP in and then running that out to total. So good.
Took it to a recording with my band on Sunday and blew their heads off. So growly!
That and running EG1 into the LPF with a slow attack and slow release is so much fun!
Really dumb question though: is it possible to blow any parts by feeding a really over driven signal from the headphones to the ESP and then total like I'm doing?
I'm thinking surely the answer to this would be "no", I mean logically there shouldn't be any way that you could damage the instrument by doing any patching...
Old 17th November 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I've skimmed a substantial number of pages of this thread and could not find anything said about the keys on this device. The main thing keeping me from taking this unit seriously is the whole "mini" aspect. I know it was to keep costs down, but I detest mini-sized keys as they remind me of some old cheap Casio. I understand the keys of the MS20-mini are an in-between mini and full size key, but I'd like to know from the owners of this unit (since no local shop has them for me to try out) if it looks/feels toy-like. Obviously sound & output are most important, but for me its the whole package. Most likely I'd end up controlling it from an external synth anyway, but I worry about the Playskool look in general.
Has it bothered anyone? Is this truly just an entry level machine for hobbyists or do you think it would ever be found in a professional recording studio? Curious.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I had an original MS-20 and the keys were the absolute cheapest crap you could imagine so I don't think it can get much worse.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee ➑️
I had an original MS-20 and the keys were the absolute cheapest crap you could imagine so I don't think it can get much worse.
+ 1

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee ➑️
it can, and it did
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by alternating.bit ➑️
I understand the keys of the MS20-mini are an in-between mini and full size key, but I'd like to know from the owners of this unit (since no local shop has them for me to try out) if it looks/feels toy-like.
I have several mini-keyboards, and the MS20 mini is probably the best of them. Feels better than the MicroKorg and DX100, and much better than some full-sized keys I've played - the CS2X for example. But yeah, at the end of the day it's still a mini keyboard.

What I find more off-putting is the quality of the pots, which feel very cheap.

And I hate the minijack interface more than the mini keyboard.

Quote:
Is this truly just an entry level machine for hobbyists or do you think it would ever be found in a professional recording studio? Curious.
Have you ever played a TB303? TR606? SH101? They look and feel like toys - even down to the fact that they can be run off batteries. And meanwhile the original DX7, which was built like a tank and has a phenomenal keyboard, is considered much less viable.

Yeah, I'm sure the MS20 mini will show up in many professional recordings. Not because it doesn't feel cheap, but because it sounds good and it's inspiring. Same reason Vince Clarke had several CZ101's.
Old 18th November 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I understand the keys of the MS20-mini are an in-between mini and full size key, but I'd like to know from the owners of this unit (since no local shop has them for me to try out) if it looks/feels toy-like.
If any local shop has the Korg microSAMPLER, microSTATION, microKORG XL or XL+, you can get a feel for the keys playing on any of those units. The keys on the Mini have the same exact width, but are actually longer in length by about 25%. Personally, I've had zero problems adapting to them. It's worth remembering that since the MS-20 is monophonic, your not going to be doing weird chords or anything of that nature. It's pretty much a one-hand-plays-while-the-other-tweaks-knobs kinda synth. I also have zero problems with the mini jacks since I do quite a bit of complex patching. 1/4 cables would get messy for me very quickly, especially since I've been using stackcables with it.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
MS-20 is best externally sequenced or arpeggiated, really. Keys almost don't matter.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Excellent feedback folks, much appreciated.
Old 18th November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by apropos of noth ➑️
MS-20 is best externally sequenced or arpeggiated, really. Keys almost don't matter.
This. I have yet to use the internal keys for anything else than trying a sound. Otherwise it's all midi in.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Get an MS 20 mini or an MS 10 as prices dropped and use the cv / gate ... lot of stuff on the buying list ; one of those ones is for next year ....

PEACE

MORDICUS
Old 20th November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Has anyone had problems connecting a midi cable to their mini?
I just read a thread where someone couldn't connect a cable to theirs, so I tried mine, and it wouldn't fit either! The connection is too small.
I have never noticed before, because I only ever use the usb connection.
This could be quite an issue.
πŸ“ Reply