New Korg MS-20 Mini - Page 119 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Korg MS-20 Mini
Old 20th October 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3Member ➑️
The noise is very subtle, but it should be there if it's an MS-20. Go to the VCO mixer and turn down both OSC 1 & 2 to 0. Set HP filter to 0 cutoff and 0 peak. Set LP filter to 10 cutoff, then 0 peak. EG2 should be set to 0 hold, 0 attack, 0 decay, 10 sustain, then 0 release. At this point, when you press a key, you should hear a low level of hissy noise through headphones as you hold the key. From this point, you can raise the resonance, tweak the cutoff and it will produce a sound. As I've mentioned before, this is how the Korg-35 filter self-oscillates.

If your are not hearing noise at this point, please take a picture of your MS-20 Mini settings, record the results and post both here. If Korg somehow produced a "less noisy" batch of MS-20 units that don't sound like the original modeled after the original, it would be interesting to hear it.
I heard that noise on those settings from day one. I never thought anything of it. As soon as one VCO level is set past 3 it's gone. I guess none of the patches I end up liking (using) produce noise. The filters cut the noise when turned about 25 % from their extremes. I guess I have no reason to use such a setting. I've made some really fun ESP routings as well with no noise. I guess I'm happy to obtain 90 to 95% usage from this synth and ignore the small number of settings that can't be used. The filter alone makes it worthwhile. I just never got the sense that there was anything "wrong" with this synth. I'm now waiting for Korg to produce the MonoPoly mk2; but not a "mini". The small keys are the only thing I'm not crazy about, but I have a full sized controller keyboard with the Mini set right over it.
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I had a MS-20 back in the day (early 80s) and as by then I had only a sound-on-sound cassette to make (noisy) recordings. Nevertheless it stopped me from having fun with it:

Using it now is partly a nostalgia trip but with a DAW being able to use it in completely new ways. To me a synthesizer heaven so to speak.... I have one noisy piece of equipment in my studio and that's my wah pedal. I guess if some of you would hear that, it would directly end up in your garbage bin
Old 20th October 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensorfold ➑️
I I'm now waiting for Korg to produce the MonoPoly mk2; but not a "mini". The small keys are the only thing I'm not crazy about, but I have a full sized controller keyboard with the Mini set right over it.
That would very cool, I agree with you on the keys. Also I noticed that in less than ideal lightning situations the patch panel is hardly readable due to its mini size.

I also have not completely given up hope that Roland will reissue a JX-3P or other classic synths...
Old 22nd October 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Mad experiments on MS20 mini

I've had the MS20mini for about a month now and love it. The best part? I can do things like this:
Attached Thumbnails
New Korg MS-20 Mini-dscf1030.jpg  
Old 26th October 2013
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
anybody know if this thing plays nice with arp2600 or euro-rack modules?
whats the Cv/octave? gate voltage?
Old 26th October 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by senor roboto ➑️
anybody know if this thing plays nice with arp2600 or euro-rack modules?
whats the Cv/octave? gate voltage?
The MS-20 is Hz/V so you'd need a lin-log conversion for CV. There is a way to calibrate the CV in to accept V/Oct but you lose some patch panel functionality, and it's a bit touchy. Gate is negative trigger, I believe.

This is why the MS-02 was so useful: Log-lin, lin-log, and trigger conversions (both ways), and some bonus port multipliers.
Old 27th October 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Ms 20 CV control and 1st impressions

Just acquired this beast and successfully synced with Elektron Analog Four CV track. I used (HZ/V) to (VCO1+2 CV in) and a (TRIG) to (KBD Trig in).

Here are my 1st impressions:

Enjoy!
Old 27th October 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
@Nas989 I think you forgot to include the YouTube video id. Inside the tag, all you need to put in is the youtube ID from the v= part of the URL.

Here you go:

Last edited by Psychlist1972; 27th October 2013 at 11:16 PM.. Reason: Add youtube video link
Old 28th October 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i am still a little surprised korg didn't at least include the missing PWM jack and like, a lin/log converter in the new ms-20 mini. I get keeping the thing original, but come on....hmm, I wish I had a lin-log converter in 5u dotcom format for my ms-20 to help tie it in with the modular a little better. I often run my modular through the ms-20's ext audio input and can use the trig to strig cable for controlling it's filter/vca/env.... At least the trig to s-trig cable is easy enough to make for the gate, it's a must have for any ms-20 owner that also owns a modular synth.
Old 28th October 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero ➑️
i am still a little surprised korg didn't at least include the missing PWM jack and like, a lin/log converter in the new ms-20 mini. I get keeping the thing original, but come on....hmm, I wish I had a lin-log converter in 5u dotcom format for my ms-20 to help tie it in with the modular a little better. I often run my modular through the ms-20's ext audio input and can use the trig to strig cable for controlling it's filter/vca/env.... At least the trig to s-trig cable is easy enough to make for the gate, it's a must have for any ms-20 owner that also owns a modular synth.
Given that there's a PW pot, I assume it's at least *possible* to mod it with a jack?

Actually, yes, looks like it may be possible. I might just have to try this:
MS-20 Mini PWM CV In Mod - Imgur

(Edit: more mods: http://www.cykong.com/Synths/Korg%20...tm#PWM%20Input )

It would be prettier with an actual spot on the panel, but at the price of this, I'm willing to mod it for more fun.

I suspect the lin/log thing gets expensive. Agreed it would be great to have that in 5u. I've only seen it in euro.

Pete

Last edited by Psychlist1972; 28th October 2013 at 01:36 AM.. Reason: link to more mods
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
yup, on the original ms-20 there's even a spot for PWM and all but it just wasn't included. it was long since modded on to many-a-ms-20, though I don't have it on mine (maybe some day). i was really surprised they didn't bother adding one to the mini either. i don't think anyone would have complained or said a word about authenticity over adding a pwm jack!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero ➑️
yup, on the original ms-20 there's even a spot for PWM and all but it just wasn't included. it was long since modded on to many-a-ms-20, though I don't have it on mine (maybe some day). i was really surprised they didn't bother adding one to the mini either. i don't think anyone would have complained or said a word about authenticity over adding a pwm jack!
From what I saw in the pics, it wasn't really a "spot" for PWM -- it was just the leg of the PWM pot.

But yes, it would have been nice if they had snuck it on to that panel in one of the empty spots.

Pete
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 ➑️
From what I saw in the pics, it wasn't really a "spot" for PWM -- it was just the leg of the PWM pot.

But yes, it would have been nice if they had snuck it on to that panel in one of the empty spots.

Pete

ah, yeah I guess more to the point is that it doesn't require any extra calibration or what not, it just works. they literally designed the circuit in such a way that it could have just been there, as it was on the ms-10. Man no one even talks about the ms-10 now anymore, hahaha, it's like completely overshadowed by the mini....price range probably kinda ruined the market for ms-10s I bet. hah.
Old 28th October 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
@psychlist1972 thx 4 that adjustment!!
Old 29th October 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Here's an oscillator sync mod by the same guy.
Auxren's Adventures In The World of Synth: MS-20 Mini PCB Photos and OSC Sync Mod

Pete
Old 29th October 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Here's an oscillator sync mod by the same guy.
Auxren's Adventures In The World of Synth: MS-20 Mini PCB Photos and OSC Sync Mod

Pete
Old 29th October 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I was thinking about the common complaints we read about the mini...mini jacks, wobbly pots,"thin" chassis come to my mind first. Can someone compare it to the build quality of a Doepfer A100 system? I never heard complaints about Doepfer's build quality, but I've always thought that it has a bad build quality. I believe that people write so many bad comment's about mini's build quality because its price is very low...so, there must be some bias there. It can't be worst than a Doepfer A100. What do you think?
Old 29th October 2013 | Show parent

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectral Climax ➑️
I was thinking about the common complaints we read about the mini...mini jacks, wobbly pots,"thin" chassis come to my mind first. Can someone compare it to the build quality of a Doepfer A100 system? I never heard complaints about Doepfer's build quality, but I've always thought that it has a bad build quality. I believe that people write so many bad comment's about mini's build quality because its price is very low...so, there must be some bias there. It can't be worst than a Doepfer A100. What do you think?
i don't know about Doepfer, but you're going to see alot of damaged MS20mini's on ebay real soon.

some fools out there are very rough on gear. they think they're superstar DJs or something, gurning and screwing up their faces whilst putting maximum pressure on pots and sliders. all the scratched up 303s out there are testament to this.

the sockets on the MS20 mini are all floating. they're not secured on the chassis at all, apart from the phones out - seems to be the only thing holding them on is solder. all the jacksockets move as one if you press a socket. ie the PCB is flexing and the sockets move with it.

same goes for most of the pots. seems like nothing holding them but solder on the board. the 'bean counters' have been at this design driving the costs down. they've probably worked out that if you secure a couple of pots the rest can float happily.

all this is fine if you're careful with the unit and shouldn't put anyone off buying it. unless you actually want to play the keys! in this case, forget it
Old 29th October 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I don't have any Doepfer so I can't say for sure, but to me the only thing that look cheap on their modules are the choice of knobs, and I'm sure you can just change these over to something a little more expensive looking... I've actually been planning to get a few Doepfer modules for a while, and if space allowed it to replace them with Moog knobs
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers ➑️
i don't know about Doepfer, but you're going to see alot of damaged MS20mini's on ebay real soon.

some fools out there are very rough on gear. they think they're superstar DJs or something, gurning and screwing up their faces whilst putting maximum pressure on pots and sliders. all the scratched up 303s out there are testament to this.

the sockets on the MS20 mini are all floating. they're not secured on the chassis at all, apart from the phones out - seems to be the only thing holding them on is solder. all the jacksockets move as one if you press a socket. ie the PCB is flexing and the sockets move with it.

same goes for most of the pots. seems like nothing holding them but solder on the board. the 'bean counters' have been at this design driving the costs down. they've probably worked out that if you secure a couple of pots the rest can float happily.

all this is fine if you're careful with the unit and shouldn't put anyone off buying it. unless you actually want to play the keys! in this case, forget it
Floating sockets!!! This is terror! so...it must be worst than a Doepfer synth / module after all...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Doepfer modular gear mostly uses pots, switches etc attached to the panel. It should be a lot more durable than the MS20 mini. The main complaints with the A100 were the contacts in the minijacks, see FAQ A-100.

The MS20 mini pots are on the wobbly side due to not being fixed to the panel but there is lots of gear out there built like that. Electribes, MFB, Bass Station, KS series, Pulse. Loads and loads. You just have to be careful with it. If they're clever they use the panel hole as a support for a long pot shaft so a sideways knock doesn't stress the solder joints. Early Behringer rack gear is a good example of this, they're pretty solid considering they don't use a nut.

New Korg MS-20 Mini-pots.jpg
Old 5th November 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I've had mine for a few days now, I just powered it up after not playing it for 24 hours and it made no sound, the power supply had a noise coming from it, I left it on to see what happened then it started emitting mad noises before going back to normal. Is this just normal warming up behaviour for non digitally controlled analogs?

A couple things I was worried about was I tried it for the first time on an extension also powering two yamaha hs80ms and also I may have left the heating on too long.
Old 5th November 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I've had mine for a few days now, I just powered it up after not playing it for 24 hours and it made no sound, the power supply had a noise coming from it, I left it on to see what happened then it started emitting mad noises before going back to normal. Is this just normal warming up behaviour for non digitally controlled analogs?

A couple things I was worried about was I tried it for the first time on an extension also powering two yamaha hs80ms and also I may have left the heating on too long.
Old 5th November 2013 | Show parent

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kupiti ➑️
Is this just normal warming up behaviour for non digitally controlled analogs?
no it is not
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yea, try another power supply, that doesn't sound right.
Old 5th November 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Uhh, is the filter supposed to change the way it distorts when you put it at full resonance the turn the main volume past 6? It turns into a scratchy distortion past that point.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Uhh, is the filter supposed to change the way it distorts when you put it at full resonance the turn the main volume past 6? It turns into a scratchy distortion past that point.
Careful with that resonance, the MS-20 gets really nasty when you crank it up , it's no secret.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by laikenf ➑️
Careful with that resonance, the MS-20 gets really nasty when you crank it up , it's no secret.
But is the main volume supposed to change the character of the resonance?
Old 5th November 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Here's an example of the scratchy sound. Resonance is at max all the way through, it starts to distort when I turn the main VOLUME past 6.

Also the synth started drifting and distorting like wild like it was dying a few minutes ago, with no modulation applied or patch points set, no ring mod etc.
Attached Files

ms20 mini filter distortion1.wav (4.82 MB, 473 views)

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Here's an example of the scratchy sound. Resonance is at max all the way through, it starts to distort when I turn the main VOLUME past 6.

Also the synth started drifting and distorting like wild like it was dying a few minutes ago, with no modulation applied or patch points set, no ring mod etc.
Hmm, I'll give it a listen in lunch break, but going with the way you describe it it doesn't seem right...
πŸ“ Reply