Quantcast
New Korg MS-20 Mini - Page 115 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Korg MS-20 Mini
Old 30th August 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
After having the MS-20 mini for a month or so I can hardly wait for Korg to issue the MonoPoly mini; or the Polysix mini.
I get a LITTLE noise on the triangle wave with the filters wide open; also a little noise with vco's off and filters wide open. A very small bit of tweaking and noise is gone. For the money this synth is a steal.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
OK Noise issue

Now that I turned down the VCOs, I hear it.. I was merely responding to the fact that the synth is amazing, and was caught up in how many cool things I could do with it, to really pay attention I suppose. The thing is, you can really use the noise on this thing to your advantage. Noise is actually a good thing, especially in the context of modern digital recording, which often missing some needed tooth and grit. And as others have said, once you get down to the business of making music with this thing, just put it in your mix and then see if you complain.

Just curious though, are we saying the noise issue is germane to only the mini, and not classic? Because I have nothing in my own personal experience to compare it to.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixmasterdsr ➑️
Now that I turned down the VCOs, I hear it.. I was merely responding to the fact that the synth is amazing, and was caught up in how many cool things I could do with it, to really pay attention I suppose. The thing is, you can really use the noise on this thing to your advantage. Noise is actually a good thing, especially in the context of modern digital recording, which often missing some needed tooth and grit. And as others have said, once you get down to the business of making music with this thing, just put it in your mix and then see if you complain.

Just curious though, are we saying the noise issue is germane to only the mini, and not classic? Because I have nothing in my own personal experience to compare it to.
The classic does output noise indeed, but not as intense as the mini. I think the mini has a louder output than the original because it also sounds less muddy, so that could be one of the reasons the mini's noise is a tad louder. I haven't played an original since I sold mine 2.5 years ago, so I'm only going by memory here.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
There is no issue...Only noise !
Old 30th August 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you don't want noise, use a soft synth version. I like having at least one noisy synth and I don't tend to notice much noise in the mix, especially since I'm rolling off the high frequencies on everything anyway to get away from crappy ITB mixed digital sound.
Old 30th August 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you are a cork-sniffing anally retentive autistic Prussian laboratory-confined solipsist you may very well find the noise on this synth intolerable.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Now that I turned down the VCOs, I hear it.. I was merely responding to the fact that the synth is amazing, and was caught up in how many cool things I could do with it, to really pay attention I suppose.
Once you start making music with it, you forget the noise is even there. In practice, it's not an issue for me and it's just such a cool synth...
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
To quote myself from another forum:

The background noise is not an issue. I can't repeat this more than enough since it actually ties into how the filter generates that overdrive/self-oscillation effect when you crank up the peak knobs.
Old 30th August 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I have used my mini every day since I received it 9 July (except the last two days, as I have been depressed because I lost my best buddy Shadow Kitty to a mountain lion right outside my bedroom window...).

Once in a while I notice a little unwanted noise - but tweaking a couple knobs clears it right up. Compared to the amazing, astounding panoply of sounds from this unit, noise is a non-issue and is just part of its charm.
Old 30th August 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous ➑️
If you are a cork-sniffing anally retentive autistic Prussian laboratory-confined solpisist you may very well find the noise on this synth intolerable.
I like sniffing corks. They smell really nice and winey, just after you pull them out of the bottle.
Old 30th August 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
i think people forget the old ones also had more noise then the roland, moogs, arp's etc.
oke this new one has it a bit more, just as some other little things like the squarewave, the brutality of the full resonance etc, just a bit.
but he , it doesn't matter
this thing is so creative and good sounding that it'll learn a lot of people how synth's really function.
just like the old ones
thanks korg !
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
If you are a cork-sniffing anally retentive autistic Prussian laboratory-confined solpisist you may very well find the noise on this synth intolerable.
Whats a solpisist ?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by riddimshakk ➑️
Whats a solpisist ?
Usually just a lazy Existentialist.
Old 31st August 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by riddimshakk ➑️
Whats a solpisist ?
Whopos -- usually I'm an impeckable speller
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3Member ➑️
Usually just a lazy Existentialist.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensorfold ➑️
After having the MS-20 mini for a month or so I can hardly wait for Korg to issue the MonoPoly mini; or the Polysix mini.
I get a LITTLE noise on the triangle wave with the filters wide open; also a little noise with vco's off and filters wide open. A very small bit of tweaking and noise is gone. For the money this synth is a steal.
This is basically my experience too. The noise is present with some settings, but it's easy to tweak it away.
And yes for the money, this synth is unbeatable. You get VCO's, a killer filter, a keyboard and patch points, all for around $600. It's pretty remarkable.
Old 31st August 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The synth is noisy. Period.

Yes, you can work around it. No, audible noise is not a good thing unless you have 100% control over how much you mix in. Yes, the synth sounds good enough to make working around the noise ok. That doesn't mean it's not there, or that it goes away

If this was some crap sounding synth with that noise level, we wouldn't tolerate it. If it was a synth like the Prophet-12 and it had noise like that, we definitely wouldn't tolerate it as anything other than a severe defect in the instrument.

Pete
Old 31st August 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
the old ms20 surely has noise too.
maybe a few db less , but definitely noisy.
if you want the least noisy ms20 , go for the newer filter model ms20's, they come closest to the other grand brand monosynth's in that respect.
but despite the noise the ms20 is a great synth , i had and have a lot of fun with it for about 35 years, so i can't agree with psychlist 1972 , point/ period
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Whopos -- usually I'm an impeckable speller
Sow am eye.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny pedaal ➑️
the old ms20 surely has noise too.
maybe a few db less , but definitely noisy.
if you want the least noisy ms20 , go for the newer filter model ms20's, they come closest to the other grand brand monosynth's in that respect.
but despite the noise the ms20 is a great synth , i had and have a lot of fun with it for about 35 years, so i can't agree with psychlist 1972 , point/ period
What's not to agree with? You basically agreed with me and then said you can't agree with me

My point was it has noise, and it's misleading to say it doesn't. If noise is something you're sensitive to, you probably won't like the synth.

Pete
Old 1st September 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
it doesn't make it a bad synth
the emphasis on the noise level is the big tmho
but indeed we do agree it has noise, even two sorts pink and white
Old 2nd September 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flange It Up ➑️
I have used my mini every day since I received it 9 July (except the last two days, as I have been depressed because I lost my best buddy Shadow Kitty to a mountain lion right outside my bedroom window...).
Damn. Sorry to hear about your kitty, that's terrible.
Old 3rd September 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
No kitty, no music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barilla ➑️
Damn. Sorry to hear about your kitty, that's terrible.
Thanks. I heard a disturbance outside my window, grabbed a little flashlight, but couldn't see anything, so I hollered, but that didn't have any effect. I ran out the door (naked), came around the corner and saw the mountain lion with my (dead) Shadow Kitty in its mouth. That image is just burnt into my mind. My kitty was my best friend, after my wife.

No matter how cool the MS-20 Mini is, I still haven't been able to play any music...

Sorry for the sad post.
Old 3rd September 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
hi guys !

I don't know if i post in the right section of the forum, I just made an application to share and find some MS20 patches.

It's php/MySQL website that allows you to post your own settings and find others settings.

It's here and it's free :
Analog Patches

You will find and share patches and setting for the Korg MS-20, but soon you will find other models for other synthesizers.

See you !
Old 3rd September 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I've had mine about a month now its amazing!! i always have fun every time i play it. I have noticed a hiss through headphone jack however i usually play through my speakers and don't notice anything... while i waited desperately for it to show up i ordered a custom mono 1/8 to 1/4 cable, so when it arrived i was able to play immediately i'd suggest this to whoever is still waiting....

my new trick today was plugging in my iPhone with a metronome to my monotribe sync in, and sync out of the monotribe to the ms20 esp in, esp trig out to trig in. This setup allows you to set a tempo from the app on your phone pretty fun to play with. I've also got a tetra 4 playing lead over top fun

Last edited by ChancexlanD; 3rd September 2013 at 09:59 AM.. Reason: run on sentances
Old 3rd September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I don't mid a little noise. I don't think you hear it in a mix. Also I have read a few posts here on GS where people asks questions about noise plugins to give their ITB songs less sterile feel. I usually say, buy some external hardware you get some nice noise.
Old 3rd September 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChancexlanD ➑️
my new trick today was plugging in my iPhone with a metronome to my monotribe sync in, and sync out of the monotribe to the ms20 esp in, esp trig out to trig in. This setup allows you to set a tempo from the app on your phone pretty fun to play with. I've also got a tetra 4 playing lead over top fun
I believe there's actually a dedicated iPhone app for that. As I recall, it was basically the metronome, but also allowed adding some swing to the timing.

Pete
Old 4th September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 ➑️
I believe there's actually a dedicated iPhone app for that. As I recall, it was basically the metronome, but also allowed adding some swing to the timing.

Pete
SyncKontrol
Old 7th September 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I don't have a mini, but I am curious if the audio out is like the Monotron and needs a stereo plug? The Monotron can be quite noisy, but I found that different cables were much more noisy than others (the ideal cable in my experience was a stereo miniplug to mono 1/4"). Just curious...
Old 7th September 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevism ➑️
are the prices for ms-20 mini's plummeting? there's one new on amazon for 430...how?
Did you check the shipping.

Sent from my DROID X2
πŸ“ Reply