Quantcast
New Korg MS-20 Mini - Page 11 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Korg MS-20 Mini
Old 29th January 2013
  #301
Lives for gear
 
pinkerton's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I don't think it has vco outs :( a famous complaint on the old one.
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
  #302
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by infradead ➑️
From the harvestman's facebook page
hell, I expected a month at least before first converter would be announced. Smart move for Sebastian, MiniMS has "gateway drug" written all over it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by danielb ➑️
I assume the patch panel allows you to use a VCO as a modulation source?
Nope.
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
  #303
Moderator
 
golden beers's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielb ➑️
I noticed from the specs that the LFOs are not particularly fast (up to 20hz).

I assume the patch panel allows you to use a VCO as a modulation source?

D.
As said: no.

Wanted to share the standard work around: use the mod wheel output instead
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
  #304
Lives for gear
 
danielb's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Wow.

I suppose I can use the Microzwerg's oscilaltors to modulate it? Or is there some arcane reason that this won't work? The Microzwerg has individual outputs for each of the LFOs and for one VCO.
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
  #305
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielb ➑️
I suppose I can use the Microzwerg's oscilaltors to modulate it?
Of course. Beside funny pitch CV and gate standard (and it seems that will easily be sorted with aftermarket solutions) it's pretty much standard modular synth. Mod sources are 0-5V or +-2.5V. VCO levels and filter in level are little low for typical modular, but that's not much of a problem. BTW, individual outs for VCOs (both pre or post osc volume controls) and PWM input should be easy mods, regardless of scarry SMD inside (I'm not sure they could fit on front panel because I have no idea what's clearance between front panel and PCB, but I'm quite certain they could be put on top or back of MiniMS)
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
  #306
Lives for gear
 
danielb's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Tks.
Old 29th January 2013
  #307
Lives for gear
 
goldphinga's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I think they should've gone the whole hog and added midi cc control to the major parameters at least so you could use an editor via your computer.
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
  #308
Lives for gear
 
maisonvague's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldphinga ➑️
I think they should've gone the whole hog and added midi cc control to the major parameters at least so you could use an editor via your computer. I don't see what the point of recreating the ms is exactly as it could've been improved for today's market interface wise at least.
Well at least they included USB/MIDI.

Basically they've done what they set out to do: re-create a legend.

Which would include legendary headaches interfacing it with other gear.

As the saying goes, be careful what you wish for because you just might get it!
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
  #309
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldphinga ➑️
I think they should've gone the whole hog and added midi cc control to the major parameters at least so you could use an editor via your computer.
And add PWM, sync, serial/paralel option for filters, LP/BP/HP switches, 15 more ins/outs on patch panel, robotic hands for patch panel recall, $5000 price tag and it wouldn't be MS-anything anymore.
Digital control over most of MS-20 parameters would be very very very difficult if you want to keep it MS-20. OTOH, do you know what do you need to add bandpass input to MS-20 mk1 VCF (the one used in MiniMS)? One stinkin' resistor, $0.01. And they didn't do it, they didn't add ubersimple ocs sync as well, nor they put beyond simple PWM in on patch panel. Because, the way they did it was only sane option they had.


edit: and MIDI CC is so last century. There is great way to integrate MS-20 in "modern" setup, and that Way is Silent.
Old 29th January 2013
  #310
Lives for gear
 
Bullseye's Avatar
Consensus is that no patch memory is not a deal breaker with this particular instrument and it is priced properly for its target audience - gear slutz. I would guess though that most of the people that would purchase this instrument have some sort of sampler around and, or sampling capabilities - just a thought.
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
  #311
Lives for gear
 
maisonvague's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by recnsci ➑️
BTW, individual outs for VCOs (both pre or post osc volume controls) and PWM input should be easy mods, regardless of scarry SMD inside (I'm not sure they could fit on front panel because I have no idea what's clearance between front panel and PCB, but I'm quite certain they could be put on top or back of MiniMS)
It will indeed be interesting to see how this thing can be hot-rodded. This synth could potentially become as legendary as the original.

I hope they sell tens of thousands of these units. This is a case where I couldn't care less about being "unique" and not having what everyone else has. There are times when it feels good to be part of a community -- and this is one of them.

And as an ideal learner's synth, it just the perfect symbol for the analog renaissance. Once again, way to go KORG.

EDIT: And btw, anyone up for a vintage MS-20 for 1,345 quid? I'm not! heh

New Korg MS-20 MiniVintage KORG MS-20 Synthesizer - Daft Punk Prodigy Analogue Sounds - Synth 10 * | eBay
Old 29th January 2013
  #312
Lives for gear
 
goldphinga's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Nah. The new ms is a big missed opportunity.
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
  #313
Gear Guru
 
EvilDragon's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldphinga ➑️
Nah. The new ms is a big missed opportunity.
Totally not true.
Old 29th January 2013
  #314
Lives for gear
 
NoVi's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Any idea why the settled for this 85% scale? Why not a 100% replica?
Old 29th January 2013
  #315
Gear Guru
 
EvilDragon's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Matching the $600 price point.
Old 29th January 2013
  #316
Lives for gear
 
goldphinga's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon ➑️
Totally not true.
Totally is true.
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
  #317
Lives for gear
 
NoVi's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Just ordered one from Thomann...it's gonna be a long wait
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
  #318
Gear Guru
 
EvilDragon's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldphinga ➑️
Totally is true. I know let's build everything ever made exactly the same. YAWN
For you maybe, but Korg is still going to sell a ****ton of these. They obviously won't miss your non-purchase.
Old 29th January 2013
  #319
Lives for gear
 
pinkerton's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
The original ms20 was a missed opportunity for me.

This at least fixes that
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
  #320
Lives for gear
 
volumetrik's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
more nice shots


Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
  #321
Lives for gear
 
GeorgeHayduke's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
This is def. a synth that will create its own aftermarket of add-on components or simply schematics/instructions.

Let's make a list, please copy list and add to it!

- PWN CV in
- VCO 1 and 2 out
Old 29th January 2013
  #322
Gear Guru
 
EvilDragon's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
- PWM CV in
- VCO 1 and 2 out
- hardsync in
Old 29th January 2013
  #323
Lives for gear
 
goldphinga's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Ms20 mk2 with cc control, editor, patch memory, under the hood features. Coming up!
Old 29th January 2013
  #324
Gear Guru
 
EvilDragon's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Not gonna happen.
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
  #325
Lives for gear
 
maisonvague's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkerton ➑️
The original ms20 was a missed opportunity for me.

This at least fixes that
My sentiments exactly. The way I see it, the choice of minijacks is logical based on the whole "mini" concept, first, and second because of all the new equipment out there that uses minijacks. In such a context, there is nothing "unprofessional" about minijacks. On the contrary, it's a smart business move and makes perfect sense.

The inclusion of USB/MIDI is the one concession they obviously felt was necessary -- and they be right! Clearly a lot of thought went into how this synth was going to be marketed. Not having MIDI cc control, patch memories, etc. was not an oversight: it was intentional. And rather than a missed opportunity, it's the clincher because it makes the device simpler and more affordable.

I have to say it again: this is a brilliant move by KORG on every level. I'm volunteering for the front-line on this one.
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
  #326
Lives for gear
 
volumetrik's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHayduke ➑️
This is def. a synth that will create its own aftermarket of add-on components or simply schematics/instructions.
hope someone makes a mini MS-02 clone to interface properly to oct/v cv/gate
Old 29th January 2013
  #327
Lives for gear
 
asynchro_nous's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Yep, I've wanted one of these ever since I heard years ago what Goldfrapp did with it, but used prices have been absolutely prohibitive.

I'm thrilled I can get a clone for this price.

However, I'm under no illusions that this will generate a full blown rebirth of a new family of Korg analogs.

(I do expect a further developed Monotribe, however)
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
  #328
Lives for gear
 
goldphinga's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague ➑️
My sentiments exactly. The way I see it, the choice of minijacks is logical based on the whole "mini" concept, first, and second because of all the new equipment out there that uses minijacks. In such a context, there is nothing "unprofessional" about minijacks. On the contrary, it's a smart business move and makes perfect sense.

The inclusion of USB/MIDI is the one concession they obviously felt was necessary -- and they be right! Clearly a lot of thought went into how this synth was going to be marketed. Not having MIDI cc control, patch memories, etc. was not an oversight: it was intentional. And rather than a missed opportunity, it's the clincher because it makes the device simpler and more affordable.

I have to say it again: this is a brilliant move by KORG on every level. I'm volunteering for the front-line on this one.
Yes its a good move however, it is a missed opportunity in some ways. they shouldve included cc, especially on a synth that has so many parameters to alter on the fly. Synths without patch memory that have as much going on as an MS are a pain in the backside to reprogram every time you want a new sound.Its impractical for live, fine in the studio but still a pain. A synth like a minimoog is much quicker to get around as its simpler but the MS is crying out for patch memory and cc control. Yes it would have added a little more to the price but it would have made it a MUCH more practical synth in todays studio environments. I think anyway!
Old 29th January 2013
  #329
Gear Guru
 
EvilDragon's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Would you quit whining about CCs already
Old 29th January 2013
  #330
Bio
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
it is a missed opportunity. they shouldve included cc, especially on a synth that has so many parameters to alter on the fly.
I disagree, it's a very simple synth, no need for CC.

Quote:
but the MS is crying out for patch memory and cc control.
With the patch panel ? No ! How would you do it ? Γ  la Buchla (lol)

Given the sucess the have they didn't miss anything ! See for yourself on all forums.

Anyway, it is as it is, it won't change so imo there is no point in speculating about patch memory etc...
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 5073 views: 537857
Avatar for shortyedwards
shortyedwards 8th February 2021
replies: 76 views: 17930
Avatar for hcppp
hcppp 30th June 2020
replies: 813 views: 63387
Avatar for meh
meh 8 hours ago
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump