The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Korg MS-20 Mini
Old 11th July 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-smile-z ➑️
has somebody tested the mini ms20 against the virtual ms20 ?

please no analog vs digital discussion...

the virtual ms20 is a bit dated but still good

recreating patches from the virtual one does this work out ?
you might find this interesting:

Review: Korg MS-20 Mini - Review - macProVideo.com Hub
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I remember one night trying to comparing the two awhile back (Legacy Collection vs. MS-20 Mini), but realized the digital version had way too many extra options added which I had to zoom into and dial out of. I've had the Legacy Collection for a few years now, but honestly, all I really used often were the Polysix and M1. But anyway, once I was able to dial in a basic tone to match the parameters of the Mini, they both sounded very close routed through an amplifier. Ironically, the "noise issue" that keeps being mentioned about the Mini sounds like it's also emulated on the Legacy Edition version, but it disappears when you fully close the filter cutoff.

Regardless, if you have interest in a Mini, just jump the gun and get one. The software sounds great and all and I hate to make the whole "hardware is better than software" spiel, but I've owned the Legacy Collection for a few years now and having the Mini in front of me feels like a totally new and different experience.
Old 11th July 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
besides, you can't plug your other hardware into a monitor, as hard as you may try
Old 11th July 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
I'd like to know what you think about this video:
MATRIXSYNTH: ms20 mini - farsa safada [MS20 Mini & Original Compared]

I can't really tell if this is a defective unit or jist the pure true. Anyway, it's kind of strange to hear this kind of difference between the two MS-20.

Cheers!
Old 11th July 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Interesting vid. I don't know if it is entirely fair to compare the two using the same settings on the knobs though. Also, do we know which original model is used in this vid (I don't speak a lick of Spanish OR Postuguese)?
The pulse knob seems a little troublesome and it has been well documented on this forum and elsewhere. It does sound like it cuts out a little too early in this vid but when you watch Marc Doty's it sounds normal...maybe this guy just got a lemon?

Last edited by Spider_Dan; 11th July 2013 at 03:07 PM.. Reason: stupid American can't tell the difference between Spanish and Portuguese...
Old 11th July 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
It's portuguese. I don't know wich MS-20 it is. He says on the video that both are tweaked the same, using first triangle wave, then saw, then square with pulse modulation, both with maximum output volume, a lot of noise. This guy is a very respected synthesist in Brazil and creates a lot of interesting synthesizers... If he got a lemon, I'm sure he'll be able to fix it.

This is why I'm asking you guys.....
Old 11th July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
There is a way to patch it to get a v/oct signal out of it to use it as a keyboard to play another v/oct synth?
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr73645 ➑️
I'd like to know what you think about this video:
MATRIXSYNTH: ms20 mini - farsa safada [MS20 Mini & Original Compared]

I can't really tell if this is a defective unit or jist the pure true. Anyway, it's kind of strange to hear this kind of difference between the two MS-20.

Cheers!
Well for on thing I think your hearing audio from the camera only.
Notice he moves it closer to the speakers when playing the mini?
Not saying there isn't a noise issue but it might be a bit inaccurate judging from what your hearing in that vid.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just my opinion, but I think it's been established that the MS-20 mini does not sound identical to the original MS-20. Best to view it now as based on Monotron/Monotribe technology and in a sense a continuation of that line. Which I like! And will buy.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransistorRhythm ➑️
There is a way to patch it to get a v/oct signal out of it to use it as a keyboard to play another v/oct synth?
DELETED (because I answered wrong)
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by toine6 ➑️
Yes
How?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
How?
I did it with my Yamaha CS-5 when I first got the mini. I don't remember exactly how, just tried, but will have to try again tonight. It tells you how in the mini's manual.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I did it with my Yamaha CS-5 when I first got the mini. I don't remember exactly how, just tried, but will have to try again tonight. It tells you how in the mini's manual.
Yes but the Yamaha CS-5 uses the Hz/Oct system like Korg did. That should work.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ.MacReady ➑️
Just my opinion, but I think it's been established that the MS-20 mini does not sound identical to the original MS-20. Best to view it now as based on Monotron/Monotribe technology and in a sense a continuation of that line. Which I like! And will buy.
I have to disagree. It has been established that the new mini is so damn close to the original on a side by side comparison that it just about is one. (Check the sound on sound review among others) Try what Marc Doty said in part 1 of his demo's.
I view it on its own as a stand alone recreation. Which is what it is.
If you want to be precise then o.k, the waves look a bit different on a graph but the human hearing can't tell the difference. Move a knob 1 or 2mm here & there & it can be matched. But then you would have to do that with two ms20's anyway. Those points i have read & have deffo been established.
They say the new one is a touch brighter. Well, it is new & the original is up to 35 years old.
Maybe, possibly the new mini might mellow at an unnoticeable progressive pace & 5 years or whatever down the road may be even closer (If it doesn't blow up by then )

Really though, if i was listing it as an instrument used in say a new tune, i wouldn't care if i wrote ms20 or ms20 mini. It's like splitting hairs unless people are perfectionists.

Not trying to be ott or anything but i can remember discussing the same subject through this thread too.It's all been touched on.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Ha ha ! BONG ! Good one dude.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Oops, got the two mixed up. Yeah, wouldn't think the v/oct would work correctly.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
See if there is anything of interest on this page....

Interfacing old analog monosynth, convert Cv, Trig, Gate circuit. | Suono Elettronico.
Old 11th July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ordered mine on 30th June, got it today.

Thankyou Red Dog Music
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by riddimshakk ➑️
I was thinking if you can get it to track v/oct pretty reliably apparently using the TOTAL patchpoint wouldn't it be possible to do the reverse as well?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Sorry man, havn't tried it so far. I have it triggering from a minibrute but there's no tracking, just a gate pulse. Nice though.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
oooh !

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/4mhKIMb30oQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Korg MS-20 Mini's filter being overdriven is a monster. - YouTube
Old 12th July 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
oooh !

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/4mhKIMb30oQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Korg MS-20 Mini's filter being overdriven is a monster. - YouTube
Feeding the headphone output back in...? Sneaky.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Proof that the Mini is indeed too noisy. Better recall them all and hide your children.
Old 12th July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ.MacReady ➑️
It has no direct relationship to the Monotribe. Completely different designers. The Monotribe/Monotron/Volca were all made by a young UK educated designer at Korg. He's a recent recruit to the company. The Mini was designed by the original MS20 team with an identical signal path but using modern components.

And no two original MS20s will sound identical. The difference with the Mini and the Original is well within the accepted range of variance caused by component changes between these types of synth. In reality every MS20 is unique!
Old 12th July 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend ➑️
It has no direct relationship to the Monotribe. Completely different designers. The Monotribe/Monotron/Volca were all made by a young UK educated designer at Korg. He's a recent recruit to the company. The Mini was designed by the original MS20 team with an identical signal path but using modern components.
I think the monotribe monotron comparisons are pretty fair. Mr. Tatsuya Takahashi designed them, but he took the MS20 filter of old and recreated it anew. the success of his products are the reason the MS20 is here today. I think Mr. Mieda acknowledged that himself in one of his interviews.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Two in stock here...U.K.

Korg MS-20 Mini
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Two in stock here...U.K.

Korg MS-20 Mini
There seems to have been a UK delivery. Got a lot of emails from suppliers and mine's coming Monday. Finally!

Regards

Stephen
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I have to disagree. It has been established that the new mini is so damn close to the original on a side by side comparison that it just about is one. (Check the sound on sound review among others) Try what Marc Doty said in part 1 of his demo's.
I view it on its own as a stand alone recreation. Which is what it is.
If you want to be precise then o.k, the waves look a bit different on a graph but the human hearing can't tell the difference. Move a knob 1 or 2mm here & there & it can be matched. But then you would have to do that with two ms20's anyway. Those points i have read & have deffo been established.
They say the new one is a touch brighter. Well, it is new & the original is up to 35 years old.
Maybe, possibly the new mini might mellow at an unnoticeable progressive pace & 5 years or whatever down the road may be even closer (If it doesn't blow up by then )

Really though, if i was listing it as an instrument used in say a new tune, i wouldn't care if i wrote ms20 or ms20 mini. It's like splitting hairs unless people are perfectionists.

Not trying to be ott or anything but i can remember discussing the same subject through this thread too.It's all been touched on.
I brought it back up because yet another A/B was posted again and I thought it justified reiterating that the Mini deserves to stand on its own. I do think that new video didn't try to match the sound exactly but just have the knobs in the same positions (this is the video in Portuguese posted yesterday or day before).

I can't say for sure, but I would think that SOME of the Monotron/Tribe technology that Korg developed would be useful in the Mini. You don't think they didn't used anything like the oscillators or filters? Like someone here said, the Monotrons/Tribes are partially based on the MS-20 so it makes sense. I could be wrong. As a huge fan of the Monotron/Tribe this is by no means an insult. I love 'em and am stoked on the Mini, I just think the A/B videos don't lead anywhere too productive after the first couple. Best to just listen to the new one and decide if one like's it.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I'm starting to think something is screwy with the CV on mine; I tried hooking it up with a Yamaha CS-15 both ways, but the notes are way off. Also I tried an "autoglide" patch detailed here and most of the notes never raise to the same pitch. Anyone else having similar troubles or know what might be going on?
Old 12th July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
the sound on mine is so close to the original that i would never complain about it or want to trade fir the original. my only complaint is that the patch panel connections are intermittent.. does anyone else have this problem? i have to pull the patch cables in and out and jiggle them to hit the connection at a few points.. my unit may be faultier than others
πŸ“ Reply