The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Korg MS-20 Mini
Old 2nd July 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by droolmaster0 ➡️
I had a great time with it.

Loved the sound that kicked in @ 2.54 and played to the end...
Old 2nd July 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Is it possible to record it into ex. Reaper using a USB cable, or using a MIDI to USB cable?
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanderlyle ➡️
Is it possible to record it into ex. Reaper using a USB cable, or using a MIDI to USB cable?
no.it only has standard midi in and an audio out via 8th inch jack.
really wish it had midi out
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge ➡️
no.it only has standard midi in and an audio out via 8th inch jack.
really wish it had midi out
I don't use the usb end of things but i thought that it could send & receive midi via usb (Not like the 'in' only midi port) It would only be note on/off. Maybe someone could confirm that or correct me.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by riddimshakk ➡️
I don't use the usb end of things but i thought that it could send & receive midi via usb (Not like the 'in' only midi port) It would only be note on/off. Maybe someone could confirm that or correct me.
I can confirm that the USB port does indeed send and receive MIDI note on/off data. That's how I have it hooked up to my DAW.
Old 2nd July 2013
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
sounds traditional to me! nice sounds
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3Member ➡️
I can confirm that the USB port does indeed send and receive MIDI note on/off data. That's how I have it hooked up to my DAW.
Sweet
Old 3rd July 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I pre-ordered from Sweetwater 21 Feb and it finally shipped today. Should be here 9 July.

Woo-hoo!
Old 3rd July 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
ordered a custom cable 1/8 to 1/4 mono 30 feet ill be able to hear it when it FINALLY gets here!!! the crazy length will let me add to my space nicely... i hope it doesn't add any noise... could/should it???
Old 3rd July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
In theory you don't want to run unbalanced for more than about 30 feet. Some people say 15. Although I think you'll be fine, personally.
Old 3rd July 2013
Old 3rd July 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years

Don t know if this as been posted yet ...
MS 20 mini sequenced by ANALOGUE 4...

PEACE

MORDICUS
Old 3rd July 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORDICUS ➡️

Don t know if this as been posted yet ...
MS 20 mini sequenced by ANALOGUE 4...

PEACE

MORDICUS
Is that the dataline video? (on my phone, cant watch it)

That made me want to hold off getting the MS20 and get an Analog Four instead!
Old 4th July 2013
Old 4th July 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Received my MS20 mini yesterday. I was concerned about some of the issues brought up in this thread to which my response is "noise- schmoize".
Yes, with the filters at their extreme (HP all the way up,LP all the way down) noise filters through. There seems to be some on the triangle wave.
These are minor issues, and it seems inherent to the circuitry, which can be mitigated so easily as to become irrelavent. This is one gritty synth which is easy to coax fabulous sounds out of. And the patch panel.
Maybe I got lucky and got a good unit- that's what it is- good!
Not returning this in my lifetime.
I have 3 other analogs which this will complement nicely.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensorfold ➡️
Received my MS20 mini yesterday. I was concerned about some of the issues brought up in this thread to which my response is "noise- schmoize".
Yes, with the filters at their extreme (HP all the way up,LP all the way down) noise filters through. There seems to be some on the triangle wave.
These are minor issues, and it seems inherent to the circuitry, which can be mitigated so easily as to become irrelavent. This is one gritty synth which is easy to coax fabulous sounds out of. And the patch panel.
Maybe I got lucky and got a good unit- that's what it is- good!
Not returning this in my lifetime.
I have 3 other analogs which this will complement nicely.
I agree 100%!
I hear the noise too.
Don't care.its a bitchin little synth
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Just received my ms 20 mini. The noise is really minimal. The only issue i am finding is that the PW knob cuts out the pulse wave at about 65 just a little past the skinny pulse wave symbol. I haven't read this full thread but thinking that this is off but not a big deal since i rarely use this anyway.

I'm running the mini from my Analog 4 and processing it through the A4 adding some nice FX. Overall sounds great and is a great addition to my set-up.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ml692787 ➡️
Just received my ms 20 mini. The noise is really minimal. The only issue i am finding is that the PW knob cuts out the pulse wave at about 65 just a little past the skinny pulse wave symbol. I haven't read this full thread but thinking that this is off but not a big deal since i rarely use this anyway.

I'm running the mini from my Analog 4 and processing it through the A4 adding some nice FX. Overall sounds great and is a great addition to my set-up.

No worries dude !....The pulse width knob thing is totally Norman normal !
Welcome to the MS20 Mini.
Old 4th July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just got my Mini yesterday. It's phenomenal sounding, especially considering the price. It has a raw 'ugliness' to it which I was previously missing from my synth hoard. The noise doesn't bother me one iota because I've got plenty of clean sounding synths. I'm using this thing for some Post-Punk, Early Electro & Power Electronics because it has just the right sound.

Old 5th July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseface ➡️
Just got my Mini yesterday. It's phenomenal sounding, especially considering the price. It has a raw 'ugliness' to it which I was previously missing from my synth hoard. The noise doesn't bother me one iota because I've got plenty of clean sounding synths. I'm using this thing for some Post-Punk, Early Electro & Power Electronics because it has just the right sound.

What do you mean for the price? These things used to cost £2000 and were more than worth it.
Old 5th July 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend ➡️
What do you mean for the price? These things used to cost £2000 and were more than worth it.
I don't understand that. It was always a budget or affordable synth when it appeared in the late 70's. I know the value shot up later when they became recognized for that 'certain sound' an' all that. Right now you could pick up a nice example of an original in the uk for say £1000 - £2000.

That would be money well spent i say if the unit had been serviced to tip top working order...Which you can't guarantee.
Now for the affordable & princely sum of £500 we can have a brand new remake ! A comparable price to the original retail. Thanks inflation for failing on just this one occasion.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend ➡️
Are you looking for an argument?

I'm saying this thing is CHEAP. The noise isn't a problem, especially considering this thing is just $599. Lots and lots of flexibility for just a few hundred bucks. I can't think of anything offhand which is anything close to this.

I bought one and I like it. A lot. Stop being silly.
Old 5th July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Looking for an argument?

http://youtu.be/kQFKtI6gn9Y
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim olesen ➡️
Looking for an argument?

Argument Clinic - YouTube

Sorry , this is the ms20 mini forum thread ! You're in the wrong post !
Old 6th July 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
NOOOO! Delayed again until September. I had mine per-ordered two months ago only to get a call today letting me know it is once again delayed coming from Korgs mouth. God damn you Korg for not preparing yourself with more stock. *shakes fist* You are torturing me. I have wanted this keyboard since I was 10 years old, I could never afford the original because I always told myself if I did get one it would have to be mint. Which those are expensive as hell.

Now I can finally afford one.. I am thankful for that but these delays are killing me. I see two on Amazon from Japan but I am not willing to take that risk. Called tons of places to see if I could get it somewhere else here but they all tell me the same thing, delayed and too high of a demand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseface ➡️

You are lucky
Old 6th July 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Did you try The Midi Store? Their site is showing two left in stock. I was thinking about buying it now but money is just too tight. Hope you can get it!

Korg MS-20 Mini Analog Synth
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaMorphy ➡️
NOOOO! Delayed again until September. I had mine per-ordered two months ago only to get a call today letting me know it is once again delayed coming from Korgs mouth. God damn you Korg for not preparing yourself with more stock. *shakes fist* You are torturing me. I have wanted this keyboard since I was 10 years old, I could never afford the original because I always told myself if I did get one it would have to be mint. Which those are expensive as hell.

Now I can finally afford one.. I am thankful for that but these delays are killing me. I see two on Amazon from Japan but I am not willing to take that risk. Called tons of places to see if I could get it somewhere else here but they all tell me the same thing, delayed and too high of a demand.
See, the problem here is that you pre-ordered merely two months ago when stores starting to take pre-orders way back in January. People were already getting theirs in Japan two months ago. I pre-ordered early February and thought I was doing it late in the game, but I was lucky to make the first shipment that Guitar Center got. Looking at my unit's serial number, it's in the 1,000's, therefore over a thousand people were actually ahead of me.

Look at this way, the fact that Korg went into this unprepared with how many they'd be having to make is a good thing. It proves there is indeed a demand for this kind of thing and they could have stepped back into the game of making analog synths quite some time ago with great success. It might even be the wake up call Roland needs as well.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaMorphy ➡️

You are lucky
sorry to hear that.thats lame.
I decided to buy one a couple weeks ago .found one online and had it here 3 days later.
so nothing on the internet stores?
Old 6th July 2013
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
hello music's got em, along with $40 or $50 off for a few days!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by riddimshakk ➡️
I don't understand that. It was always a budget or affordable synth when it appeared in the late 70's. I know the value shot up later when they became recognized for that 'certain sound' an' all that. Right now you could pick up a nice example of an original in the uk for say £1000 - £2000.

That would be money well spent i say if the unit had been serviced to tip top working order...Which you can't guarantee.
Now for the affordable & princely sum of £500 we can have a brand new remake ! A comparable price to the original retail. Thanks inflation for failing on just this one occasion.
They've not kept their value since the mini came out, saw one in eBay not sell for 850
📝 Reply