🎧 5 years
full teardown pics here:
Din Sync: A close up look at the new Korg MS-20 Mini
Old 24th June 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by F041 ➑️
I'd grab an Anatek Pocket Channel or similar MIDI ch. remapper for sequencing the MS20m. handy devices that are no longer in production, but normally these are easily found on eBay.

Would that devise take an incoming channel then & output to a different channel ?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax ➑️
i think it's been assessed that the keys are bigger and better then on the legacy controller although i can't really comment not having used one.. the keys on the mini are more then usable for little basslines or melodies.. don't expect chick corea trills though.. there is always the midi input, i have mine connected to my moog voyager.. only thing shameful is you can't configure midi channel (i'd like to sequence it from my 909 that transmits on ch.11 only)
Check out those last two posts dude !

Last edited by riddimshakk; 24th June 2013 at 07:53 PM.. Reason: pelling misstyke
Old 24th June 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Does anyone know when the second round of sweetwater shipments goes out?
I think it should be soon????
I got a call saying I was going to be in the first round then when I called back a month later "just kidding you're actually in the next round"
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Sweetwater called me a few days ago and told me next round is early July.
Ordered mine Feb. 8th.
Old 25th June 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolgodzilla ➑️
Does anyone know when the second round of sweetwater shipments goes out?
I think it should be soon????
I got a call saying I was going to be in the first round then when I called back a month later "just kidding you're actually in the next round"
Well that wasn't a funny joke that your sales engineer played on you, that wasn't funny at all. You should tell you're Sweetwater sales engineer that you were so offended and hurt by his or her cruel joke that you demand an MS-20 mini before the second shipment round starts (make sure to pretend to cry). I know they have at least 5 unopened MS-20 minis laying around somewhere in their warehouse or maybe somewhere in the executive room and probably the studio. I know some of the tech support employees most likely have one sitting under their desk, and just look at the unopened box during their liesure time. But most likely I'm just crazy.

Last edited by Crouton Forest; 25th June 2013 at 12:33 AM.. Reason: bold
Old 25th June 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I was supposed to be in the first shipment but it was smaller than expected and it got pushed back. When I called my guy said it should ship before the end of the month.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by riddimshakk ➑️
Would that devise take an incoming channel then & output to a different channel ?
a MIDI Solutions Router will also do the trick. Great products and still in production.

MIDI Solutions Products
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by slujj vohaul ➑️
Appreciate the assistance, I know, I know, RTFM and all that, but I did multiple times to limited success. No solid plans for exchange have been made yet. Thanks for the insight, I'll certainly be giving the MS-20 some attention this week to make up my mind.
LOL. Hey Dave, it's me Jason Nguyen. I was trying to find out reviews for the MS-20 Mini. Funny I found you on here.
Old 25th June 2013
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I can tell you this--it's better than waiting for a surgery
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDM ➑️
To me, the ms20 mini keyboard seems like an improvement over my microKorg XL. It feels better.

Given that over USB we have MIDI in AND Out, that makes it very nice controller as well. At least you could always play arpeggios to your sequencer.
That's what I did yesterday.
I can drive my MS20 with my Maschine, but it's not the same as having a built in sequencer or arp, sometimes you want to just turn something on and play it with little to no setup.
WDM
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by slujj vohaul ➑️
I can drive my MS20 with my Maschine, but it's not the same as having a built in sequencer or arp, sometimes you want to just turn something on and play it with little to no setup.
It's easy to get some kind of arp going on ms20 mini.

For example:
- Connect MG out to VCA initial-gain. (Select MG wave form to your liking)
- set MG frequency to 1/8 notes of your tempo.
- set EG2 sustain level to 2 and all other EG2 knobs to 0

and you'll get one note arp going.

Now you can play something on keyboard and the arp will follow. A little practice and you could play your arps in no time.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
It's easy to get some kind of arp going on ms20 mini.

For example:
- Connect MG out to VCA initial-gain. (Select MG wave form to your liking)
- set MG frequency to 1/8 notes of your tempo.
- set EG2 sustain level to 2 and all other EG2 knobs to 0

and you'll get one note arp going.

Now you can play something on keyboard and the arp will follow. A little practice and you could play your arps in no time.
Will try this tomorrow after work. Thanks again, everybody. Appreciate the tips!
Old 25th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Hey all!

A quick follow-up. A few pages back I posted about my issues with the noise. Well, now I've had more time with the thing and I've got to say it's become a non-issue. Yes, there are a few spots where the noise gets through, but there is so much more happening with this synth that I think a few non-usable spots is a small price to pay for the utter awesomeness that is possible here--and I've barely scratched the surface!

This thing is psychedelic, or funky, or space-y. And more. And once I hooked up my RE201 Space Echo...well, game over!

As far as the keys--they have a nice feel, but are pretty small. OK for triggering, but if you're a player (and I'm not), I'd think you'd want to MIDI up some larger keys. Not really a big problem.

Ergonomics: the layout is fantastic: I love the tilted panel. OTOH, the graphics are impossible to read (with my aging eyes). I guess I'll learn where everything is eventually, but the patchbay graphics are especially difficult to read.

Question: I am an idiot when it comes to some things. What's a good down and dirty way to sequence this thing? I've got an old Ensoniq SQ80 and I was thinking of trying to figure out how to hook it up. Good idea? The only problem is that it takes up a lot of desk space. I was also thinking of exploring the USB connection and looking for some kind of basic freeware sequencer online. I don't need anything fancy--I just want to set up a pattern and then go to town on the ms20 knobs and patching. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!

Also would a hacked (MIDI out) upcoming Volca be an interesting choice for sequencing?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentley ➑️
a MIDI Solutions Router will also do the trick. Great products and still in production.

MIDI Solutions Products
awesome, thanks.

so, this officially makes my mini $762 rather than $600... this was kinda a necessity for me because my alpha juno needs to be on channel 1 to receive sysex and i program it from the PC, and i really wanted to use the two together. all good tho, the MS20 is just too much fun to complain over.

i also started an ms20 patch sharing thread if anyone is interested: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...-resource.html

i am trying to find out of there is a PDF creator similar to the one for dark energy.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CthonicEwes ➑️
Hey all!

A quick follow-up. A few pages back I posted about my issues with the noise. Well, now I've had more time with the thing and I've got to say it's become a non-issue. Yes, there are a few spots where the noise gets through, but there is so much more happening with this synth that I think a few non-usable spots is a small price to pay for the utter awesomeness that is possible here--and I've barely scratched the surface!

This thing is psychedelic, or funky, or space-y. And more. And once I hooked up my RE201 Space Echo...well, game over!

As far as the keys--they have a nice feel, but are pretty small. OK for triggering, but if you're a player (and I'm not), I'd think you'd want to MIDI up some larger keys. Not really a big problem.

Ergonomics: the layout is fantastic: I love the tilted panel. OTOH, the graphics are impossible to read (with my aging eyes). I guess I'll learn where everything is eventually, but the patchbay graphics are especially difficult to read.

Question: I am an idiot when it comes to some things. What's a good down and dirty way to sequence this thing? I've got an old Ensoniq SQ80 and I was thinking of trying to figure out how to hook it up. Good idea? The only problem is that it takes up a lot of desk space. I was also thinking of exploring the USB connection and looking for some kind of basic freeware sequencer online. I don't need anything fancy--I just want to set up a pattern and then go to town on the ms20 knobs and patching. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!

Also would a hacked (MIDI out) upcoming Volca be an interesting choice for sequencing?
Glad you're getting more out of it now...The mind boggles, tons of sounds to be had.
Your sequencer plan, you get what you pay for generally but it depends on what you're willing to put up with or how much you want to spend.

Do you want 8 steps or 16 ? Midi or other ? analogue or digital ? I don't use any freeware sequencers so i'm not you're man there.
I had suggested a few posts ago that it could be sequenced with a cheap yamaha qy10. (There are other qy series sequencers too & they all offer a lot of features for the money.) Ebay's the place for 'em.
There's 8 tracks of sequencing & the first 4 tracks have fixed midi channels, 1-4. Then 4 more so if you were to use the channel 1 you would have a small midi sequencer to rock your ms20m hands free & still 7 channels left plus internal sounds in the qy (Of some use)
O.k they're not like an analogue step sequencer with hands on tweaking but anyway !
I've used one myself to sequence my unit. Worked a treat & it clocked a second sequencer as well as another analogue mono & a v/a poly synth at the same time as the ms20m.
Just a suggestion anyway but there are other options too. Depends what suits ya !

You could just patch it up to self trigger though !...No money spent.

Last edited by riddimshakk; 25th June 2013 at 07:13 PM.. Reason: Additional info.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Cheers Mr. RS!

Of course I'd love to go analogue. Wouldn't it be great if Korg eventually releases the SQ10?

I was just thinking I want to do something ghetto (i.e., free) to get going. As far as the Midi sequencer you suggest, I kind of get the feeling my SQ80 has roughly the same amount of functionality as a Yammy QY. I guess I'll just crack open the manual and give it a whirl. But first I'm open to any other suggestions!
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by phreak260 ➑️
awesome, thanks.

so, this officially makes my mini $762 rather than $600... this was kinda a necessity for me because my alpha juno needs to be on channel 1 to receive sysex and i program it from the PC, and i really wanted to use the two together. all good tho, the MS20 is just too much fun to complain over.
I think you could also use a program like MidiPipe to sort out the channel issues. And it's free.
WDM
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
awesome, thanks.

i also started an ms20 patch sharing thread if anyone is interested: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...-resource.html

i am trying to find out of there is a PDF creator similar to the one for dark energy.
I am sorry, I don't understand the necessity to spend another $162 ?

When ms20 mini is connected through USB cable to the computer, it takes "dedicated" MIDI port specifically for ms20 mini only. So you don't need to worry about other synths already connected to PC on channel 1, because it's a different MIDI port so to speak, right?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I am sorry, I don't understand the necessity to spend another $162 ?

When ms20 mini is connected through USB cable to the computer, it takes "dedicated" MIDI port specifically for ms20 mini only. So you don't need to worry about other synths already connected to PC on channel 1, because it's a different MIDI port so to speak, right?
hmmm i'm not sure... i think cubase still needs the channel to send out the midi data, and if the aj is on channel 1 i can't put the mini on channel 1 as well. plus, i'm out of usb ports.

i had thought about several workarounds but settled on this. i'm not too bothered about the $$$ spent really. just a small caveat to finally own this little beauty and integrate it into my midi setup.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
hmmm i'm not sure... i think cubase still needs the channel to send out the midi data, and if the aj is on channel 1 i can't put the mini on channel 1 as well.
You need to dig into the MIDI settings for the specific track you want to transmit data on and select the MS-20 as your MIDI instrument if you've installed the drivers properly. If you have another instrument attached, simply don't select it for that track and it won't send data to it. I have both the Mini and an MC-505 set to channel one and it works fine for me using Ableton.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3Member ➑️
You need to dig into the MIDI settings for the specific track you want to transmit data on and select the MS-20 as your MIDI instrument if you've installed the drivers properly. If you have another instrument attached, simply don't select it for that track and it won't send data to it. I have both the Mini and an MC-505 set to channel one and it works fine for me using Ableton.
thanks! if i can free up a usb port i'll give it a shot.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
thanks! if i can free up a usb port i'll give it a shot.
Amazon.com: Plugable USB 2.0 10 Port Hub (with Power Adapter): Computers & Accessories

That thing works great.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I was also thinking of exploring the USB connection and looking for some kind of basic freeware sequencer online. I don't need anything fancy--I just want to set up a pattern and then go to town on the ms20 knobs and patching.
Try this one: Kirnu - The Arpeggiator
Old 25th June 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Cheers Mr. RS!

Of course I'd love to go analogue. Wouldn't it be great if Korg eventually releases the SQ10?

I was just thinking I want to do something ghetto (i.e., free) to get going. As far as the Midi sequencer you suggest, I kind of get the feeling my SQ80 has roughly the same amount of functionality as a Yammy QY. I guess I'll just crack open the manual and give it a whirl. But first I'm open to any other suggestions!
I guess it depends what other gear you have?

if you have an iPhone or iPad you can get a free midi sequencer like little midi machine.

if you have a pc and a daw that does midi just plug the mini in by USB and control it that way.

if you have an electribe or qy or other hardware sequencer the. they'd be good options.

if you have another synth with arpeggiator and midi out, then that can control the mini as well.

your best bet is probably a sequencer on your computer, but I haven't looked much into this option. ableton etc all have midi tracks which you can write a sequence into and send to the mini. I'm sure there are cheaper options out there though if you don't have any software like that.
Old 26th June 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by colthawker ➑️
thanks for posting.

this is the first demo that actually has shown me what i want to hear: that high pass self oscillating. super fat and sounds just like the original. if not better.

kind of ironic because the guy playing it doesnt seem to know too much about creating a patch on it
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by colthawker ➑️
Like that video. It demonstrates the bare bones of what it is for & Andrew is a seasoned musician. You don't hear him complaining about hiss or piss.
That's what it's all about....Don't analyze it too much, just let it rip !
Old 26th June 2013
Deleted 7a792f4
Conny Plank
DAF
"Very good at threatening sounds"

That pedigree is compelling to me (loved that vid! Thanks for posting that one)
πŸ“ Reply