Quantcast
Maybe its too soon, but Minibrute or Mini MS20... ? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Maybe its too soon, but Minibrute or Mini MS20... ?
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
i'm playing around with my minibrute right now and just wanted to throw this out there:

-using minibrute's aftertouch (which mini ms-20 doesn't have) on your cutoff with high resonance can lead to really awesome expressivity and tones, especially with the mb's filter

-pwm is really nice sometimes and i love playing around with it

-damn the arp is fun, especially when you use it less as an arp and more as a fast lfo, with an insanely high tempo and 4 octaves and 1/16 triplets

-patching is nice but the mb has really clever setups for its switches (for mod wheel, etc) that are really good for changing sounds on the fly

-not sure if the ms-20 does this but i really like having a separate output level for my headphones. makes it more controllable if i run it into the aux in.

-2 full adsr envelopes are really nice

-pitch bend and mod wheel being separate is also really nice

yes the ms-20 does a lot of great stuff on its own, such as 2 vcos, patching, two filters, ext input processing...but i don't think it's truly a minibrute killer.

i think you need both!!

but realistically i think you need to step back from the hype of both and think how YOU want to ultimately use it
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I wonder if Korg is gonna be able to make these fast enough to meet demand. Arturia have been struggling to produce the Minibrute in large enough quantities to meet the price they are selling for. You still can't find a Minibrute anywhere over here.

As for the OP's it's best to get both. At the price these are selling there's no reason not to.
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I know the ms-20 is good for crazy sounds and squelchy leads, but how does it stack up in the bass department. Is it good for driving bass lines? Am I better off getting a sub phatty. I want the crazy sounds it offers but I also want traditional phat basses
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
depends on your definition of "phat"

moog filter +2oscs with a sub osc and the new multidrive will most definitely grant you traditional phat basses...

but there's also a lot to be said for finding the sweet spot of a high pass filter and resonance. the boosting occurs at the lower frequencies, and you get amazing results if done right
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevism ➑️
but there's also a lot to be said for finding the sweet spot of a high pass filter and resonance. the boosting occurs at the lower frequencies, and you get amazing results if done right
I'm finding on the MiniBrute that you can get much finer precision for dialing in your filter cutoff by assigning it to the mod wheel. It's certainly more precise than the filter knob. It's almost as if the knob is a coarse control and the wheel is fine control.
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
id choose MS20 too. just personal preference for the sound... and HP/LP combo plus modularity is big for me.

someone metnioned before about mini MS perhaps hurting minibrute sales, i agree but think also it will affect moog to an extent. none of them were ready for this. its going to be crazy with the Korg's big marketing machine, high volume production and distribution... oging to be interesting to watch what really happens now that one of the big three has finally come back into analog...how the market will react..
Old 27th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatManDeux ➑️
I'm finding on the MiniBrute that you can get much finer precision for dialing in your filter cutoff by assigning it to the mod wheel. It's certainly more precise than the filter knob. It's almost as if the knob is a coarse control and the wheel is fine control.
never thought of it that way, that's a great tip! thanks!
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
i don't think it's a hard choice to make

i mean the ms20 has 2 VCOs and 2 VCFs

the only practical features that gives the edge to the minibrute are the wavefolder and the distortion

to me, it's an easy choice

another "soft" reason for me not to go with ms20 is that it's a "mini" version, buying it makes you a hipster who jumps on the bandwagon
PES
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
i think you need both!!
I think you're right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonnu ➑️
another "soft" reason for me not to go with ms20 is that it's a "mini" version, buying it makes you a hipster who jumps on the bandwagon

I guess its retro origins, the relatively low price and the way it looks with the patch panel and everything will make it the perfect gimmick (though a quickly ageing one, since this will sell a lot) for a lot of people, but that's indeed a very soft reason why people shouldn't buy it as the capable musical instrument it is.
Old 27th January 2013
Deleted 0fc8128
You can say what you want, but the MiniBrute is original. Something that is vintage but new (at least I could not effort a Stein Parker Multi-Mode Filter since now). The synth gets a totally different quality when you funnel in a dual oscillator, like the SEM. The filter is actually very warm sounding.

I think the single oscillator section doesn't do the synth justice and somehow they trimmed the waveforms for a richness in the higher/mids. That together with a 12 pole is always a little on the bright side. The SEM oscillators on the other side are frequency limited at least I do not hear as many overtones as with the MB Oscillators (maybe I should use the direct out instead of going through the open filter and VCA next time).

Anyway, how can possible someone pass on the MS-20 mini for that asking price. I guess there will be another 12db filter (or better two) entering the studio soon.
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonnu ➑️
i don't think it's a hard choice to make

i mean the ms20 has 2 VCOs and 2 VCFs

the only practical features that gives the edge to the minibrute are the wavefolder and the distortion

to me, it's an easy choice

there's more to a synth than simply osc / vcf variety though.

aftertouch with full keys make mb more expressive, and you can really get some unique sounds from the mb which are pretty new...along with stuff I listed above.

i really agree that the ms-20 is awesome and will be a big hit for the right reasons...but i would never let other people, your "hipsters," determine if I buy an instrument or not. If I think want it, I'll get it.

Hipsters that want to look cool will probably still pay insane vintage ms-20 prices because it's vintage and authentic...and look down on the people who have minis

an easy choice for some, still a difficult choice for others
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
MS-20 has one extra octave over Minibrute. Not an insignificant fact.
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Minibrute still seems pretty capable of integrating with your modular.
Does PWM. Has an arpeggiator and aftertouch.

In the world of mono synths there's not a lot of overlap between the 2. And they're really cheap. Get both.
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Minibrute has arppeg, features are pretty much similar to SH101 but more advance.
MS20 mini, reproduction of the vintage semi modular that most people unfortunately couldnt afford. So it'd be great oppotunity to get a reborn ms20 in affordable price. In a mean while, Minibrute is something you shouldnt miss. I suggest that u better get both. If u arent in hurry, u can wait for the secondhand deals.
Old 31st January 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Bump, as I am interested too.

I bought a Minibrute last december, and I've been very happy with it, specially as it doubles as a small controller and has a very unique sound.

However (as I don't really need 2 synths in my studio) I'm thinking about selling it to fund the new Korg.

Considering in my country there are probably very few Minibrutes around, and no one is selling them yet, I could actually ask the 600 Usd needed for the Ms20 and sell it in a couple of days, making this my first no loss musical transaction, in exchange of a little bit of bad karma!

I'd miss the arpeggiator and aftertouch/velocity though...

Tough decision...
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I was pondering this same thing. I don't think I'd necessarily want or need 2 monos with no patch storage but the only way to know which to keep would be by putting both through the paces for a while.

If I was able to locate a MB in the near future I would jump on it as obvioulsly demand has outstripped supply to a large degree while Korg has shown themselves to be capable of meeting high demand for their affordable synths. At least I don't recall any shortage of supply when the MiniKorg came out and A LOT of people bought those, even many that wouldn't normally buy a synth. I'm sure they are preparing for demand based on internet hype surrounding the MS-20 mini.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Well, the problem is that Minibrute and others similar synths demand WILL be affected (simple economics) by MS20, specially with Arturia supply problems.

So once the MS20 mini is released I won't be able to charge the 600 usd I'm planning to charge for my Minibrute!
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Daniele ➑️
So once the MS20 mini is released I won't be able to charge the 600 usd I'm planning to charge for my Minibrute!
i don't think you could charge that now, since mostly supply problems have been alleviated and you can get brand new with free shipping for $500usd

sometime you even see used ones go for as low as $400
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I don't live in US, you don't see Minibrutes around here and the supply its pretty much inexistent. The only Minibrute I've seen in my local (and rather crappy) version of eBay is going for 850 USD (ouch).

If I decide to be a good slut, I could at least recover my $499 really easily.

One thing that have me a little worried about the MB are the somewhat crappy knobs. But I remember having a Microkorg with even crappier knobs so I think it's more related to the price point.
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
I don't live in US, you don't see Minibrutes around here and the supply its pretty much inexistent. The only Minibrute I've seen in my local (and rather crappy) version of eBay is going for 850 USD (ouch).
OUCH

that's awful, i'm sorry to hear that

yeah i think the knobs could have been nicer, but I've had mine since november and really i think they're great. never had an issue with them coming apart of anything, and i kind of like the rubbery feel
Old 1st February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:

If I decide to be a good slut, I could at least recover my $499 really easily.

One thing that have me a little worried about the MB are the somewhat crappy knobs. But I remember having a Microkorg with even crappier knobs so I think it's more related to the price point.
Hi La Daniele,

May I ask you where you live? Arturia is distributed in more than 40 countries...

Cheers,

D
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Mexico City! Just to be clear: I'm aware of the existence of a couple of Arturia distributors around here, but none is carrying Minibrutes, only controllers.

I had to buy mine in US while on vacation (hard to find even there, probably beacause of Christmas season).

I'm sure that at least one of them got a couple after Christmas, but remember this is still the biggest city in the world!

And by the way, I've decided to keep mine
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hipsters that want to look cool will probably still pay insane vintage ms-20 prices because it's vintage and authentic...and look down on the people who have minis
Please stop using the word "hipster"... and where do people get this idea that they have all this money?

all using the term "hipster" means on the internet today is.. . "everyone but me".

it has far too many contexts today.. you might as well say "young adults" or .. "the youth of today". Since people since to label everyone 15-50 a hipster.
Old 1st February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Sounds like hipster talk........

Just kidding, I couldn't care less what anyone else buys, I'm buying both of these and I'll still be super cool
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I have a Minibrute and love it. But it seems lonely so I'm planning on giving it some buddies to play with:

Analog4
Minitaur
Mini MS-20

Unfortunately to wife is playing bank cop so it will take me a while to get it all.

To the OP, get both. The Brute is cool but could use some more punch on the low end, and other synths offer different character.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfonso Muchacho ➑️
Sounds like hipster talk........
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I think if anything, the introduction of the new and insanely affordable ms20 mini has made a good point for Arturia to think about a 2-osc *brute.

MS-20 wins hands down, IMO. MB is a strong contender, but it's a single osc synth, even with all the awesome shaping possibilities. MS-20 has two filters and two oscs, and a lot of ways to abuse that fact.

Also, the standard "both" Gearslutz response is more than appropriate here. They are both awesome synths.
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel ➑️
Please stop using the word "hipster"... and where do people get this idea that they have all this money?

all using the term "hipster" means on the internet today is.. . "everyone but me".

it has far too many contexts today.. you might as well say "young adults" or .. "the youth of today". Since people since to label everyone 15-50 a hipster.
I only used the word hipster because it had already been used by @tonnu, and I was addressing him.

it doesn't really have that wide of a context though...
Old 2nd February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I only used the word hipster because it had already been used by @tonnu, and I was addressing him.

it doesn't really have that wide of a context though...
unfortunately it does.. you'd be surprised what people think a hipster is.. it really breaks the flow of a conversation and should not be used on forums IMO.
Old 2nd February 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
perhaps...

so to clarify, I am referring to 20 somethings living in the nyc tri-state area that think they know a lot more about life than they actually do, since these are the ones i have the most experience with

πŸ“ Reply