Arturia V Collection vs U-he Diva
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Why do you want plugins then?
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Pete- as I mention in my OP, "I am looking at analog synth emulation software from U-he and Arturia. Diva and the V Collection. Mainly for the purpose having more instances available for sequencing than my hardware synths."
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Ged- at the time I was mainly on the road and after awhile I just couldn't keep the oscillators stable. I wasn't a tech myself so I traded it for the MKS-80 so I would have something more dependable on stage. Sad about it now, but back then I just couldn't afford both. It didn't sound like 6 voices of a mini, but it was a wonderfully warm synth in its own right.

The PPG was stolen from a Nashville cartage and storage facility. And the Micromoog was left at a venue and I was never able to retrieve it. Wish I still had them but not bad enough to fork out the current asking prices for them.
Old 31st January 2013 | Show parent
Deleted 0dfcc1b
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ged ➑️
I have Arturia Prophet V + Jupiter 8 + Minimoog, I just got DIVA this week and it blows Arturia away!!! honestly, if you don't mind freezing in your DAW the get DIVA, it's miles better.
This.

DIVA has been my favorite go to since the beta days over a year ago.
Good thing is, I'm still enamoured by the thing, and also understand its like getting a dozen different synths.

Purchase the DCAM Synth Squad last month, and it hardly gets used.

They are good plugins, sound great, but I don't get the same feeling I get when I play with the DIVA.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
SEM V is nice, and its sound is particular. And the modulation page allows to create instruments that cannot been done on other synths.

Someone mentioned the Xils synths, thanks, and I won't make further comments on that except that, while having their unique analog touch, all Xils synths have special features like neverseen modulators, musical play modes, polysequencer, multitimbral abilities, True Stereo Dynamic Engines that you wont find on any other synths. Unique features --> Unique instruments, its as simple as that. ( But you might consider I'm just biased on this of course )

A special thought for the modular synths ( Xils3, Moog Mod, Ace, Vaz, Aalto etc ) : Here again they can do things standard simple VAs just can't touch.

Then, there's no "best" VA synth in my book, as there's no "best" real analog synth. I have a lot of real vintage little monsters, and I would not say my Arp is better than one of my Roland. Different synths, different personalities.

Fwiw,

Ltz
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
i will add here that cpu problems with diva seem to be diffrent on every computer.

My laptop,lenovo with 3 core processor and 4gbs of ram (nothing huge nowadays) runs easilly few instances without freezing etc in ableton live,often in divine mode.... while i read here that guys with much more powerfull computers (3 times as much lol ) had problems with playing what my computer was capable to play.... so dunno,there is prob some optimization problem,luckily works fine for me
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyncSailor ➑️
Pete- as I mention in my OP, "I am looking at analog synth emulation software from U-he and Arturia. Diva and the V Collection. Mainly for the purpose having more instances available for sequencing than my hardware synths."
I see. As I said, Diva offers lots of different flavours of oscillators and filters so if you must buy one that is probably it. I'm a fan of Gforce minimonsta over arturia moog v. SEM is my pick of the bunch by a mile from arturia. These are my 3 go to synths so I recommend these Get Demoing!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I agree, Pete. Minimonsta is the best Mini emulation out there, imo. I also love their Oscar emulation.
Old 18th June 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I really tried to like Diva... It had novelty at first, I was convinced it 'sounded better than Arturia-stuff' and 'blown away'.

Months later I was using Arturia stuff again. The CPU hit simply isn't worth it (I have an Intel quad I7) and was actually taking me away from writing music. I was bouncing audio and EQing the boomy bottom-end on some channels. At the end, I was able to get the same sound by just using my mixer EQ to be honest.

It's kinda the same reason why some of my old analog gear doesn't get used as - Too much inconvenience and problems... No MIDI, 20 minute warm-ups, etc.

Today I almost exclusively use Arturia and real analog. When buying an instrument, consider how you are going to use it. Don't buy into the hype of the 'newest thing'. Sometimes you already have all the sound you need at your fingertips.
Old 20th June 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Just because Diva is good doesn't mean Arturia is bad.
I stole a bass idea from Sebastien Leger at 0:49 in this track with Arturia minimoog

It can do some things VERY well imo.
Old 20th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
was the memorymoog any good? it looks so cool
Quote:
Ged- at the time I was mainly on the road and after awhile I just couldn't keep the oscillators stable. I wasn't a tech myself so I traded it for the MKS-80 so I would have something more dependable on stage. Sad about it now, but back then I just couldn't afford both. It didn't sound like 6 voices of a mini, but it was a wonderfully warm synth in its own right.
I had a Memorymoog back in the early 90's. Traded my Prophet 5 and some cash for it. That thing was Big and Heavy. Built like a tank. Every once in a while it would drop a note but not bad. I didn't have it long enough to experience anything bad. I still to this day have a hard time describing the sound. It has been around 20 years since I played one. It's sound was not the same as an Oberheim or Prophet. It was grainy, coarse, potent, nothing subtle about it. It wasn't bad at all though, the sound just really stood out. If you wanted a synth that could cut through the mix in a live band this would do it better than any of the others I had. You would just have to play one and experiment with one to see.
Old 20th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I love Diva. I only wish they didn't focus so much on old roland analogs when modelling components (jupiters and junos etc which I don't like as much as say old prophets). The sound is quite roland-y. I'd like to see them mix it up a bit with maybe a prophet 5 and an arp2600. I have yet to listen to an arp2600 model that I am happy with. I like some of the arturia stuff too. The prophet vs is nice for example. Their stuff is getting better with each update. I think they realize they have some stiff competition so they're tightening up their game.
Old 27th September 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
If zebra had a better GUI it would be the king.
Old 27th September 2013
Lives for gear

I picked up "The Collection" for next to nothing a while back. I wasn't expecting much but feel like I got a great deal. The SEM is probably my favorite softy right now. It just has a growl that I can't get with anything else. I'm trying to use the CS-80 more because I love the sound but the GUI is full of teeny tiny faders with itty bitty lettering, it's a pain to work with.

I love the idea of Diva. Swapping out filters and oscillators is everyone's dream. I also think it is less CPU hoggish than most think. But overall, I find the tone, usually, off-putting. Theres something overly metallic about it for me. I love uHe and think he has the best business model going. I gladly give him my money. Someone said it earlier and I would agree that I like the sound if the free TyrellN6 better. Zebra demo is amazing and probably my next purchase. I heard version 3 was coming soon and was considering waiting.

If you can get the V Collection on sale, I would. SEM is worth every bit of $200 for me. That's what I payed for all of them so thumbs up here.

Even in terms of Juno sounds I much prefer the TAL to Diva. Diva just is not for me, but I'm excited about the update coming and hole it will offer up something new. Don't get me wrong, it's a fine piece of software and very professional sounding. For me, I can make amazing pads with it. Rich, drifting pads.
Old 27th September 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just a simple track from the soundbank we together made with Nori for the Arturia SEM V

http://www.lelotusbleu.fr/catalog/mp..._Of_Lovers.mp3

All SEM V even the drums, no EQ, No comp, no reverb, no nothing, just the SEM V naked./

Those interested into the SEM V can listen a lot of clips of it in solation on our site LeLotusBleu - VST Instruments (VSTI) Plugin Presets - VSTI and DAW Drum Loops

Those interested in the Jupiter 8 emulations can also visit our site and listen to the 60+ A/B Jupiter8/Xikls-Lab Oxium comparison clips (Inspired by Jupiter 8 soundbank ) Some might be surprised.

LtZ
Old 27th September 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Diva is my favorite v/a VST but for MiniMoog emulation i like Creamware Minimax better.
Too bad there is no native version of Creamware plugins.
Anyway for the price Diva is amazing.
Old 7th November 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
i got arturia moog modular, timeWarp 2600 and Oddity on my dock. i don't know how authentic the moog sound is (though being arturia's first it's likely less derivative than what followed), but the sheer number of modules and patching possibilities allow some pretty chilling atmospherics that can be crazy manipulated while recording. the Warp 2600 is a hissy, spitting thing that seems on the verge of short circuiting, that adds a visceral, electrical vibe. oddity may seem more limited at first, but like the odyssey, if you tinker with it long enough you discover that sometimes the slightest adjustment will tune in the most satisfying sounds.

i'm not so wild about the Diva presets. i've managed a couple of patches i really like, and admit there is real sonic quality to it. but for me, not being able to put it on the dock keeps me from messing with it as much as the others.
Old 7th November 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
uHe really need to release the Plate reverb that comes with Diva separately, though what it does best is analog drift from the detuned voices. The Arturia synths seem to come alive when you modulate the parameters as it's playing.
Old 7th November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sylenth1 is also very good, IMHO. Omnisphere also has terrific filters.

Oh, and my Memorymoog smokes them all!
Old 8th November 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Whilst nothing touches Diva for analogue mojo (maybe the recent TAL stuff comes pretty close or maybe the Xils stuff), the Arturia stuff (particularly the SEM) is really nice. I still occasionally use them in a track. They have some really nice presets.

The only thing that stops me from using Arturia stuff more is I have an issue where SEM refuses to recall the patch I saved when I go back into a project (ie - it resets back to one of the brass patches). So I need to render immediately if I want to use SEM.

What did support say? I hear you ask.

Nothing - never got a reply to any of my support queries. Arturia is completely hopeless when it comes to support. So I will never buy one of their soft synths again. So caveat emptor and all that...
Old 8th November 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ged ➑️
Ok, here's a track I just completed using Diva & OPX>>>>

Nice work Dude! Way to highlight Diva and show what you are talking about.
Old 13th December 2015
Lives for gear

Now that Diva put the 8080 osc in their code and the obhie filter, i bought it. i love it. its so versatile, and yeah, the presets blow... i need to make some sounds and release them for it so people like the synth more..
Old 14th December 2015 | Show parent
Deleted 86c3d96
Thanks all. I bought Diva from GC with 20% off coupon. Really amazing I own the Arturia Collection IV, but this is really impressive.

Last edited by Deleted 86c3d96; 14th December 2015 at 06:15 AM..
Old 14th December 2015
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Where is this 20% coupon to be had?
Lives for gear

Funny to read my comment here from 2 years ago. TBH, Diva is the only software I about ever use for VA. I think it took a little time to get the feel for how to program it, some of the little nuances, and become a better programmer, as well as owning several analog synths. Diva is the shiz.....still a couple of years later.

Sometimes I compose using software only if the musical ideas are flowing and I don't wanna mess around with cables, and MIDI routing, or travelling on a laptop. I'll make some patches in Diva quickly, and later go back and try to substitute hardware.....sometimes though, I keep the Diva patch, cuz it sounds better. I'm okay with that.

The JP8K oscillators, and the SEM/Uhbie filter add a TON of new possibilities and was a great idea. I use the Alpha Juno DCO a lot too, because some of those waveforms you can't get elsewhere. You can make a hoover from hell on Diva......if that's your sort of thing.

Also, the CPU issues have improved greatly, it is a lot more efficient than it used to be. In draft mode, I can run just about as many instances as I want on a Macbook Air. The brightness/harshness changes when you put it on Divine, so I'll only set it to Divine when I'm going to bounce to audio. Then EQ and mix later.

There are a ton of free presets on the Uhe page. At least a few hundred.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Garcia ➑️
Where is this 20% coupon to be had?
I believe if you go to the GC page.....should be a link, and they'll email/txt you a coupon code. It's 20% off a single item >$99.....but it must be part of their selected items to use it on. Most of the year, every single GC sale is totally bunk, but this one they actually have thousands of items on the list. Seriously, usually the list of non-participating manufacturers is a mile long. Not so with this sale but you need to purchase before Thursday I think.
Deleted 86c3d96
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGEK8D ➑️
I believe if you go to the GC page.....should be a link, and they'll email/txt you a coupon code. It's 20% off a single item >$99.....but it must be part of their selected items to use it on. Most of the year, every single GC sale is totally bunk, but this one they actually have thousands of items on the list. Seriously, usually the list of non-participating manufacturers is a mile long. Not so with this sale but you need to purchase before Thursday I think.
I was surprised. I bought two useful items that are rarely discounted. I also bought Omnisphere 2 on Black Friday for $400 plus a free Alesis QX49.
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disease Factory ➑️
i need to make some sounds and release them for it so people like the synth more..
People seem to like Diva pretty much regardless of factory presets (which aren't bad at all, really).
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon ➑️
People seem to like Diva pretty much regardless of factory presets (which aren't bad at all, really).
it reminds me of the horrid presets in Roland synths, which is ironic, because Junos suck, Jupiters suck, till you program them yourself...

Roland analogs had bad presets too. Diva continues the legend..
Old 14th December 2015
Lives for gear

and sadly the moog osc and the filter pales compared to the minimonsta, arturia and diva both...
πŸ“ Reply