KingKorg or Prophet 12 - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
KingKorg or Prophet 12
Old 27th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by synthguy ➡️
Yikes! With a P08 MIDIed to a Virus, you almost kinda sorta have a Prophet 12.

Then again, you don't. Like you say, there is an alive quality to the P12. It isn't really a P08 with more chips thrown in. Like I keep saying, and like you observed, this thing is programmer heaven. You have knobs for ALL the envelopes and most other functions, very few menu items. It has ridiculous sound making resources - FOUR OSCs AND A SUB?? Do you NEED a Sub?? And there are supersaw waves to boot. Good grief, talk about "girth." This thing will have equatorial girth! heh

And for crying out loud, you can layer two patches for six voice insanity with EIGHT of almost everything! This is kind of like owning a modular Propht because of all the patching and routing weirdness you can do with it, way beyond the P08. This thing isn't just alive, it's a MONSTOR! The best kind of monstor, one with a thin but still somewhat controllable leash.

The more I hear of this thing, and think about it, I think Dave Smith hit this one not out of the park, but sent it into orbit. The sounds which are going to appear on music this year and next will just scratch the surface of what this thing will do.
I think Dave knows what he is doing and he is a San Francisco Bay area guy like myself but we are in 100% agreement here about this unit..
I'll keep my fingers crossed that my international BMI check has extra zeroes
and I'll scope one out for my no1 spot on the synth list.
Destined for Vintagestan.Land of vintage overpriced synths.
Old 16th March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I am curious as to why this person wants/needs another synth. I'm not saying at all that one should not have new synths as often as possible, I certainly have lived that philosophy throughout my life according to available funding at any given time. I'm just really wondering what it is this OP wants to do with it since that might be a better way to approach such decisions.

Whether such a question is relevant I don't know but its certainly as good a question as any considering the fact that this person is asking a bunch of ANONYMOUS STRANGERS which instrument to purchase. HOW THE F&^K would anyone know what's best for someone else. The fact that he cannot decide for his self makes it somewhat unlikely that randomly solicited opinions based upon the barest of criteria will produce a ver good decision.

THE ANSWER IS OBVIOUS = GET BOTH!!!!!!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozy ➡️
Let me think this through.

Will I spend

1300 bucks for a VA with plenty of virtual filters and the usual huge modulation array VA technology allows, gazillion patch memory slots, etc

or something which is very similar and competitive, such as a

3000 bucks boutique hybrid with "just" two, real analogue, filters, and most modulation and polyphony any contemporary real analogue can boast?

Really, I can't make my mind

1300 or 3000?

real or virtual?

boutique or big three?

apples or effing oranges?!?
Good answer!
The OP is close to trolling with this question. If money was no issue, I'd but the P12 as it is badass!
But it is an issue. I am still considering getting a KingKorg due to its many filter models and flexibility.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The King Korg sounds nice and it has interesting Oscillators, but WHY did they only include 2 envelopes????

This is the one thing that would probably put me off getting one.

Prophet 12 would (like the Solaris) be especially interesting for audio rate modulation. If I understood the DSI claims correctly you have all the Oscillators as sources in the modulation matrix. This could potentially be fun. A bunch of FM/RM could also be nice.

The decisive question will be, how well they bandlimit the digital oscillators, especially when using audio rate modulation on some of the unusual parameters.

Seems there are a lot of awesome synths around currently.
Old 16th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think the fact that the Monotribe now has CV/Gate in makes the King Korg even more interesting. Swap out the stock valve stage with something a bit more feisty, and use the Monotribe as a 3rd analog oscillator and filter. For $1500 you have quite a lot of sound possibilities in what I'm sure Korg will make sure is a rock solid and feature complete piece of kit.

As for the P12, it looks really good and I really want one. But given my past experience with DSI gear, I would wait a while and see how well done the programming is on it, and what kind of issues early adopters run into. The digital oscillators on the Tempest can't do glide, and have quite a lot of noise. That would be a deal breaker for me if the same characteristics were present on the P12.
Old 16th March 2013
Deleted 0fc8128
Should be more 2 KingKorgs or 1 Prophet-12?
Old 17th March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
KingKorg if you wanna quickly dial in sounds, P12 if you wanna spend a year learning the machine and then begin making music.

trololol
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by natrixgli ➡️
The digital oscillators on the Tempest can't do glide, and have quite a lot of noise. That would be a deal breaker for me if the same characteristics were present on the P12.
Earlier DSI digital oscs were cheap-n-cheerful simple "play back a (low-resolution) wave" oscs.

The P12 oscs look to be something completely different, much more like VA oscs, complex and CPU-intensive, engineered to be smooth and alias-free even at high frequencies.

... and of course, the P12 pics include a "glide" knob, so obviously they have glide!
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringBean ➡️
KingKorg if you wanna quickly dial in sounds, P12 if you wanna spend a year learning the machine and then begin making music.
The P12 looks to have a substantially better user-interface than the KK though ... so I'd bet it's gonna be easier to create patches quickly on the P12.

Tho if you luvvvv effects, the KK might be your thing... half its front-panel is dedicated to the effects section!

[Also I suspect the KK will probably have a nicer keyboard action ... the P12 looks like the same keyboard as the P'08, and the keyboard on the latter is at best mediocre, whereas higher-end Korgs have always had pretty nice actions (do they use Yamaha keybeds?).]
Old 9th January 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demokid ➡️
Which to buy... The KingKorg is a VA with an embarrassing name and Prophet 12 a hybrid with half the voices.

Kind regards
Demokid
Kingkorg is made of very cheap plastic. Dave's instruments have fantastic build quality.
Old 9th January 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by snogglethorpe ➡️

I suspect the KK will probably have a nicer keyboard action ... the P12 looks like the same keyboard as the P'08, and the keyboard on the latter is at best mediocre, whereas higher-end Korgs have always had pretty nice actions
The keyboard used on the KingKorg is one of the worst ever.

Completely mushy, lightweight, cheap-feeling, no aftertouch, etc.

Seriously, it's AWFUL. It ultimately made me get rid of it, even though I *love* the sound of the KingKorg.
📝 Reply