Quantcast
Korg DW8000 is there an iPad app for 2013 to control it? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Korg DW8000 is there an iPad app for 2013 to control it?
Old 25th January 2013
Korg DW8000 is there an iPad app for 2013 to control it?

Anyone know if there is an iPad app in 2013 (currently) that can control the DW8000?

Looking for anyone who has successfully been using something not just suggestions. Thanks!
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
It's been a while since I've had one, but I'm fairly certain that the DW-8000 doesn't accept MIDI for patch editing.

Sent from my LGL45C
Old 25th January 2013
Yeah, I was wondering if someone found a sysex ipad editior.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Yes the DW-8000 DOES accept MIDI for patch editing. I had one hooked up to my BCR2000 no problem. Think it was Sysex but may have been CC , that I can't recall - so any standard ipad midi control app (like touch osc?) should work IF it supports custom sysex.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
there is a template for iLemur for the rack version EX8000 - not sure if it works for the keyboard as well but maybe you can ask in the lemur forum.

Lemur is worth a try anyway if you have an ipad and make music - it was the one thing that made me personally buy the ipad after all.
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
i edit the dw8000 with the kiwi, works like a charm
Old 13th May 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I know I'm way late to this conversation but wanted to share this option:

Korg EX-8000 Layout - MIDI Designer Q&A

i got the app and it did work.

https://liine.net/en/products/lemur/

this one also somewhere had a DW8000 tutorial type thing but i don't own this yet and can't vouch for it.

I'd love to find a dedicated iOS app myself.. and yea the kiwi is great but cost more than I paid for the two DW8000's i own combined.. looking for something a little less pricy.. like under $100.. having a couple of dedicated old ipads could go a long way too and not break the bank.
Old 13th May 2016 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by part12studios ➑️
and yea the kiwi is great but cost more than I paid for the two DW8000's i own combined.. looking for something a little less pricy.. like under $100.. having a couple of dedicated old ipads could go a long way too and not break the bank.
I almost thought about getting one for my JX-10 but for the price it sells for I might as well get a PG-800.
Old 13th May 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
A friend just gave me a DW8000 seems easy enough to program from the front panel. ..
Old 13th May 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
if your buttons are still perfectly responsive count your lucky stars.. those membranes get touchy after a while.. 20 years ago it wasn't too bad.. mine still work ok but after awhile.. hitting 71.. no 7.. no.. not 11.. 7.... 1... ok cool.. you look for alternatives..
Old 25th February 2018
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Resurrecting this one to check what the current options are. I am mostly looking at Midi Designer right now. What else are people using successfully these days?
Old 25th February 2018
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
the only new thing i've come across is this thing. Synth Controller CE-1

software wise it's all pretty much the same last time i checked.
Old 26th February 2018
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
To those using Midi Designer, can it be used effectively as librarian? What's the preset/snapshot workflow like?
Old 26th February 2018
Gear Addict

You might want to try CTRLR...

Korg DW-8000 | Ctrlr - Control your MIDI life (MIDI editor for all your hardware)

I think I tried it once and got it kinda working, but didn't use it and I cannot remember why
Old 26th February 2018
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
yea i tried that one with my micron and it worked well. i imagine it would work with the DW8000 as well.
Old 26th February 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dariva ➑️
To those using Midi Designer, can it be used effectively as librarian? What's the preset/snapshot workflow like?
Press the More button and save into one of 10 visible slots or press the Alt button to reveal 10 more save slots, for a total of 20 user save locations.

You can reorder the 20 presets: More > Config > MIDI > Edit Presets > Reorder Presets

You can email your bank of 20 patches to yourself: More > Config > MIDI > Mail Presets. You can store banks on your computer. To restore them on your iPad, either open your email app's Sent folder, or go to your computer and email the bank(s) back to yourself. On the iPad, you can use "Open In..." to open the bank in MIDI Designer.

There's no way to easily/elegantly mix presets from different banks.

I have several MIDI Designer editors (layouts in MIDI Designer-speak). I haven't used it as a librarian but I use it a lot to edit the Micron.
Old 26th February 2018 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by robotunes ➑️
Press the More button and save into one of 10 visible slots or press the Alt button to reveal 10 more save slots, for a total of 20 user save locations.

You can reorder the 20 presets: More > Config > MIDI > Edit Presets > Reorder Presets

You can email your bank of 20 patches to yourself: More > Config > MIDI > Mail Presets. You can store banks on your computer. To restore them on your iPad, either open your email app's Sent folder, or go to your computer and email the bank(s) back to yourself. On the iPad, you can use "Open In..." to open the bank in MIDI Designer.

There's no way to easily/elegantly mix presets from different banks.

I have several MIDI Designer editors (layouts in MIDI Designer-speak). I haven't used it as a librarian but I use it a lot to edit the Micron.
Very informative, thanks a bunch!
Old 26th February 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Using CTRLR here, works great.
But no ipad option yet...
Old 27th February 2018
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I also tried Ctrlr - the standalone version - and it does work as advertised.

Two questions:

1) how do people avoid midi loops - I connected both inputs and outputs between my Midi interface and DW8000 so that Ctlrl changes parameters and receives data dumps whenever I change the program on the DW8000. However, as long as the DW8000 midi out is connected to the Ctrlr midi in, there's a midi loop - which can be easily established when you engage the arpeggiator on the DW8000 - each note gets repeated, also a lot of stuck notes.

2) How do you save presets? Like new panels, or in some other way, could not figure out what's the proper way to do it.

So far it looks like Ctrlr would be the PC controller and Midi Designer, the iPad one.
Old 27th February 2018
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
i've never experienced a midi loop with in/out with any editor. I can't say i've used Ctrlr with DW but I have used MidiQuest and it was painless. However it's not a free program.

make sure that omni is off on the DW. maybe that's a cause for the problem? Also make sure that memory protect is off though I'd do a dump before you do anything that might nuke the settings with new ones.
Old 27th February 2018
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I have this:

I can only recommend it. Hardware, not cheap, but well-built and works like a charm.
It's not difficult to edit the 8000 from the front panel, but it's not any fun either.

Cheers,
Bert
Old 27th February 2018
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
yea that device looks really cool. i've seen it for sale, but yea not cheap. maybe some day.
πŸ“ Reply