Quantcast
Juno 60.. how far away is it from TAL U-NO-LX2? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Juno 60.. how far away is it from TAL U-NO-LX2?
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Juno 60.. how far away is it from TAL U-NO-LX2?

Usually I don't care about software / hardware comparisons, but this one made is important for me.
The story:
For a while, I was sure I'm gonna get a Juno 60 at one point, as I liked its sounds and the looks a lot from what I heard around the internet.

Now I got so excited that I got me this very affordable software...
and bang, I don't like it at all.
I find the sound harsh, anything but "nice" or "creamy", both things I thought the real Juno would be.

If this software comes really close to what the Juno is, then the Juno might not be the right "first hands-on analog poly synth" for me after all.

How close *are* they really, and what's your impression about the characteristics of both?
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
miles apart.

the juno has more oomf! and the chorus is what makes the juno 60 - the juno 60, no software I don't think has really gone into getting close with that noisey chorus, it's not actually a chorus I like but it's no doubt juno'y
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Veck, thanks, according to the article they sound very much the same, he also wrote that the characteristic is very good emulated.
Hmm.

Also, it's not the "oomf" that I'm missing, I thought Junos sound more soft and warm...
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I own them both, Juno 60 and the plugin. The plugin is very close, but I still have not sold my Juno 60. Well, I just don't use my Juno that often anymore..but are you willing to pay the price for a real Juno if this plugin is that close? Probably not..the plugin is $ 40, the real one is $ 1000..you can invest the $960 elsewhere..
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
As always a nice contribution from audioinsult...
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Veck, I have a hybrid studio, so I want some soft stuff but also some REAL, touchable analog poly synths.....
Due to various reasons, that I don't have the time for to explain in this thread that's actually supposed to kept quite simple, I had decided for a Juno 60. BUT, if this software is what it (nearly) sounds, then *neither* is the right thing for me I'm afraid.

Prophet 12 then.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
i give yo warmth.. you <deleted by moderator>

<picture deleted - antagonising>

Last edited by Reptil; 29th January 2013 at 05:06 PM.. Reason: nice picture, vivid colours but it's too much really...
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I have my Juno 60 for stage use and on stage I don't use a computer. The Juno 60 has a super easy to use interface, perfect for stage use.

I think you have to test the gear first, but the Prophet 12 could be a nice solution, if you have the money. But in this price range, there are a lot of candidates. Is vintage an option for you?
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yes, I think I will have to test a Juno 60 before I finally decide to get one.
Never saw one in real life, at least not conciously...

(and of course vintage is an option, that's why I could consider a Juno 60 in first place)
It's nothing soon, but I just remembered that I didn't like that TAL sound, so I thought I'd ask others how they feel about it vs the Juno.
Old 25th January 2013
It's not close but.... not exactly far away from the sound either. If you don't like the sound in general it might not suit you. Try a Juno out in person if you can. You will be missing the little nuances a computer can supply.
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Ok, just wanted to be sure.

The old TAL plugin is not as good as the new one, maybe check it out again, if you have tested only the old, free, version.

Juno 60's are not that hard to find. Maybe you have a friend who could lend it to you and then you can decide by yourself. The Juno 60 is not super versatile and it's architecture is really restricted. I think it's not worth the money you pay for it at the moment, but if you want that Juno sound, you have to buy the original, as always.

The JX-8P with PG-800 is also a nice synth and not that famous as the Juno 60, but a little more versatile. You get two independent Oscillators, two Envelopes, etc.

Alesis Andromeda is huge and if you're lucky, you can find one for around $3500. (P 12 is announced for $2999 I think.)

Well, there are a lot of options out there. Maybe you have to be a bit more concrete what you are exactly searching.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
beep, the fact that the Juno is restricted is - apart of the (perceived) sound - the fact why I like it I know other synths have a lot more possibilities, and I don't say no to an Andromeda either.. but hell, a piano has only 1 knob and 2 pedals.
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
The 106 has less 'edge' than the 60 if that's what you're after.
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thick accent ➑️
The 106 has less 'edge' than the 60 if that's what you're after.
?? i'd say the opposite, that the 106 is more "bright/harsh/cold/plastic/whatever" than the 60. not by much, they're still *very* similar, but i always thought of the 106 as a bit more "hard/angular". from what i've heard from others, most would agree.

but yeah, i'd say that U-NO-LX sounds (and feels) enough like a real Juno-60 to give an accurate representation of its sound. if you don't like it, then a real Juno might not be what you want.
Old 25th January 2013
It's pretty simple. The Juno 60 sounds more analog.
The 106 sounds less old school analog. Or you can say more modern but in that Juno way.

I notice the most difference in the bass. The bass is tighter on the 106.
The mids have a broader range of harmonics on the Juno 60.

I'd say if he didn't like the Juno 60 he might like the 106.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
To my ears, the samples from that first link posted sounded close enough to point where if you put both in a mix and people had to guess which is which, the correct answers would probably be 50/50. And that's just A/B comparisons, where someone actually knows they are trying to spot a difference. In a real mix, I doubt anyone on this planet would know if you were using a "real" Juno or not. Heck, if it weren't for the chorus or someone blatantly mentioning it on the album sleeve, who here can honestly say, "oh yeah, that guy is obviously using a Juno-60!"

I think at this point in time, the only reason worth owning a Juno-60 is for investment purposes. I remember 15 years ago no one seemed to care about them whatsoever. I had a band mate in high school who got one for like $250! Fast forward to 15 years later and now it's like five times as expensive. Sounds great, yes, but the romanticism has to come to an end at some point. There's better gear out there now for the money with deeper sound engines. If you don't like the VST, you'll find that the real deal is just as limited in options.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Its so ridiculous. Oh I prefer the sound of the Juno 60 over the 106, I prefer the sound of the 106 over the 60 over the TAL UNO..Jeez..And also Juno 106 are crap.
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarelch ➑️
Usually I don't care about software / hardware comparisons, but this one made is important for me.
The story:
For a while, I was sure I'm gonna get a Juno 60 at one point, as I liked its sounds and the looks a lot from what I heard around the internet.
At this point - truly, verily - the only solution is to find someone who has it in the studio and play it. The only thing listening tests will do is muddle the matter further; don't bother with that. Alternatively, simply buy it; you can probably resell it rather quickly if it's not your thing, and then the money lost on the deal (if any) is your rental fee.

Preferably with good monitoring so you don't get a malformed impression of what it is and what it's not. It's too bad you're all the way in Berlin, otherwise you'd be invited. Not that the monitoring here is so stellar, but at least it's not a set of grot boxes in a basement.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
have the plugin. have used the hardware. the plugin sounds a bit cleaner but there ain't much difference to be honest.
it sounds pretty damn great and I'm still to upgrade to version 2 which apparently sounds better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headz51230 ➑️
Its so ridiculous. Oh I prefer the sound of the Juno 60 over the 106, I prefer the sound of the 106 over the 60 over the TAL UNO..Jeez..And also Juno 106 are crap.
It's all good. There's no argument or anything we're all just trying to pinpoint what we hear in the hardware vs the software. The Juno's are a really enjoyable instrument to own and fun.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by draven5 ➑️
It's all good. There's no argument or anything we're all just trying to pinpoint what we hear in the hardware vs the software. The Juno's are a really enjoyable instrument to own and fun.
but when a juno is not "warm" enough bull**** one has to take lately really gets too much. that the conclusion comes from a comparison with a plug in is just the icing on the cake.

i know that its not pc to be rude here but necessarty to insure the intelectual integrity of mankind.. otherwise the internet pc will turn us all down on the level of tzhe moronic live forms. we have to fight stupidity and miss imnformation with hard words.. a soft try it yourself might help the patient but dont contradicts the bull****
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by draven5 ➑️
It's pretty simple. The Juno 60 sounds more analog.
The 106 sounds less old school analog. Or you can say more modern but in that Juno way.

I notice the most difference in the bass. The bass is tighter on the 106.
The mids have a broader range of harmonics on the Juno 60.

I'd say if he didn't like the Juno 60 he might like the 106.
you sure you are comparing them correctly? Keep in mind that the HPF set at 0 with the Juno 106 is actually bass boost which will of course affect the whole frequency spectrum but especially bass. With the Juno 60, setting HPF at 0 just bypasses the HPF.

The JX-8P has the same bass boost feature when the HPF is set to 0, as do the Alpha Junos, but not the JX-3P.

This is important if you're trying to compare different Roland synths.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I never ever said "The Juno 60 doesn't sound warm enough", based on what I get by the software.
Anyway, thanks everyone else... if I get to the point to consider one, I'll see if I can find to test one somewhere, when that time has come. Not interested in 106, I'd pick other stuff then, if Juno really should not be for me.
Old 27th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I used my friends Juno 6 the other night (for the first time ever) and really enjoyed it. Cute layout and a really warm low end.

Bad point- lack of midi

I personally own a Juno 106 and whilst the bass isn't as warmer on the low end, I still love syncing it with my tr series drum machines and just hitting that sweet spot hard! Plus the portamento is to die for!

Bad points- hp filter is in stages which sounds crap
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

27 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
very interesting...
i could hear a difference listening -mp3 through iPad2.

mostly filter & organic feel & harmonics.
plugins are too static.. & lack harmonics.
they lack random jitter, temperature jitter, voltage jitter, something...

at 192khz vs. real Juno-60
that would be a real test.

sadly i sold my Juno-60 many years ago.

$70usd. vs. $1000usd.? Pretty Close.

the only thing i felt the Tal U-no-Lx was better was the SUB Osc., when it can read original cassett patches will buy it.
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioconsult ➑️

why is u so rude an polute thred with you nonsenswe.
someone asking advise but get you rudeness an mayeb not come hear becos u eliteness always be picking on the less learner becusea you must b e the king
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioconsult ➑️
but when a juno is not "warm" enough bull**** one has to take lately really gets too much. that the conclusion comes from a comparison with a plug in is just the icing on the cake.

i know that its not pc to be rude here but necessary to insure the intelectual integrity of mankind.. otherwise the internet pc will turn us all down on the level of tzhe moronic live forms. we have to fight stupidity and miss imnformation with hard words.. a soft try it yourself might help the patient but dont contradicts the bull****
whats pc.
this i be find wat poepoel use as excus to be so rude as they ire release from obligation to be anything but selfish self

you the rude superoir as i see all you thread just putdown thisd and that but never o giver back to anyone or onything
πŸ“ Reply