Quantcast
hardware midi sequencer for a totally blind person? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
hardware midi sequencer for a totally blind person?
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
hardware midi sequencer for a totally blind person?

hey all i'm trey from england and i'm totally blind. please can any one recommend a hardware midi sequencer that is not menu based is polyphonic can transmit cords and would be good for a totally blind person to use?

when i was looking around i came across the mfb URZWERG PRO MKII which looks like what i need but i'm having real truble finding out if it can transmit cords does any one know if it can? thanks guys i'm really stuck in my quest help would be brill! kind regards trey.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hi sound warrior.

This tough challenge...Maybe genoQs Machines like "Octopus" or Nemo.. Quite expensive stuff. Both have lots of buttons with representations patterns ect.ect and no menu diving.

maybe someone else will give you good advice.

Take care

below site with more details about :

Welcome to the Frontpage
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
thanks man don't you have to rely on leds to tell you what's going on with thoughs machines? also as i understand it the company stopped trading so where would i buy one from and where would i get support from? i'm always werey of buying legisy products has the situation with the company changed is it possable to buy them new?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakamoto ➑️
Hi sound warrior.

This tough challenge...Maybe genoQs Machines like "Octopus" or Nemo.. Quite expensive stuff. Both have lots of buttons with representations patterns ect.ect and no menu diving.

maybe someone else will give you good advice.

Take care

below site with more details about :

Welcome to the Frontpage
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Off the top of my head, Analogue Solutions Europa might fit the bill here. No menus and easy to use. Only thing is that it's a sixteen part monophonic sequencer so no chords right off the bat, but you can assign more than one track to the same MIDI channel, so you could build chords that way.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Derp sound warrior have aready analogue Solutions Europa in his toolbox...

yes Octopus have visual feedback, but you have also matrix field with 16 step and 10 tracks..plus mute buttons for each track on right side,10 volume mixer encoders on left side...ect. The best way if you can find someone with and try. maybe will be for you...
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Somebody you may want to ask is The Synth Freq on YouTube. She's visually impaired and has some pretty clever workarounds going in her studio already (braille labelling on her D-50 and DX-7!) so she may have some ideas.
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
The SND Sam-16 is a good sequencer for blind people I think, because the encoders are stepped. You can program chords with it too. But I don't know if they are still in production and they are super expensive. But I think Sebastian Nissen would produce one for you:

http://www.s-n-d.com/sam16e.html

SND contact & customer links
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
thanks for all your help guys i have a europa and love it the settings are hard to ajust though and i need some thing that's polyphonic any one know the situation with geniquos machines? any one know how to contact the synth freq arpart from youtube?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
i looked up the smb sequencer it looks ok but expensive i really like the sound of the genoqs machines products but i really need to know the situation with them also a contact e-mail would be useful and i really need to know if the latest mfb seequincer can transmit cords?
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Urzwerg is one note at a time and last I heard, Genoqs is out of business.

Sent from my LGL45C
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It's an interesting question....

but first - as far as I know, genoqs is not out of business, but just no longer developing the product. I believe that they still make them.

I think that it's a very difficult question for a sighted person to answer because we take so much for granted. I'll think a little out loud....

I was about to think out loud about my favorite of the midi step sequencers (and I've used a great number of them), the Schrittmacher, but in thinking about it, I think that the biggest obstacle would be in choosing what type of event you were using. Is it a note, is it controlling velocity, modulating the values of another sequence, etc. I simply cannot imagine getting this all in my head without visual feedback.

I've used so many of these things, analog and midi, but it's difficult for me to try to guess which might be usable without sight. For instance, I have my Serge sequencers, and the sequencer itself might be negotiable, but then where and how to plug the outputs in, etc. It's difficult for me to make recommendations because I just don't even know.

I'd be glad to answer specific questions about the sequencers that I've used, but I simply can't presume to make a recommendation. It's a very difficult question. I rely so much on my vision.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sound warrior ➑️
i looked up the smb sequencer it looks ok but expensive i really like the sound of the genoqs machines products but i really need to know the situation with them also a contact e-mail would be useful and i really need to know if the latest mfb seequincer can transmit cords?
I've used the genoqs sequencers. Of the 2, the octopus would be far superior I think, but I'm not sure that it would be my first choice as a recommendation. True - there are no menus, but in some cases you do rely on visual feedback, and as I recall, you have to keep track of lots of stuff like the modulation 'routings', which go from top to bottom, and the types of events, etc. I wonder whether the lack of menus would make it any easier if you couldn't see. For instance, would it really be easier to use it than a schrittmacher, where (at least in theory) you could figure out what you're doing by the number of notches when you turn the knobs.

I thought that the interface on the nemo was horrible - the octopus was a lot easier to use, but unless you can find one used at a great priced, it is very expensive (and also very large).

I like the recommendation of the sam-16. Can't remember whether you are looking for midi only - I'd say that while it does midi, it's primarily geared towards analog sequencing - but it does both very well. It can do very complex things, but the interface is quite simple (except for various switch settings which can get rather complicated). It also does some stuff that very few other sequencers do - you can do sequential switching with the bottom 2 rows - either audio or control signals.

But this is very expensive. I don't know if you'd find one used for less than about $2200 or so. and it's really a single channel - not like a midi oriented sequencer like the octopus or schrittmacher.

I haven't used any of the mfb sequencers. And there is also the oberkorn, which is reasonably priced. I can't remember whether it does midi out (?).
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
IMHO using the Octopus relies a lot on the LED's colors for state, and its got way too many labeled buttons and knobs(over 200), that I'd be reluctant to recommend it for anyone visually impaired.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I know the op is looking for hardware, but I wonder if there is some sort of software solution that could work. People are doing really cool things with Wii motes, Kinect eyes, PS3 cameras etc, with a lot of stuff aimed at the physically impaired. You would have to think someone thought of something with vision impaired people in mind.

First thing that comes to mind is the Reactivision software. I wonder if there is some way to set up a step sequencer sort of interface with it.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
its actually crazy that there isn't a sequencer for a visually impaired person on the market, makes me feel like manufacturers should take this into consideration in the future

i couldn't see it being too hard for a manufacturer to add aural feedback to menus on something like an Octatrack with the amount of memory that these things pack nowadays

hopefully some of the R&D guys read Gearslutz and take heed
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Maybe the Midibox Seq V4 Lite is something for you.

MIDIbox SEQ V4 Lite

It has only buttons, no dials and is very capable.

Accordingly the total price of a complete MBSEQV4L is around 100 EUR + shipping costs

The only downside is that you cannot buy it readymade but have to make your own.
Or maybe a friend of yours can make you one.

Their forum is MIDIbox Forum
And their chat room is
Mibbit IRC client widget
Old 25th January 2013
Deleted d22f2ee
Quote:
hey all i'm trey from england and i'm totally blind. please can any one recommend a hardware midi sequencer that is not menu based is polyphonic can transmit cords and would be good for a totally blind person to use?

i use the Octopus alot here and whilst legacy in some sense the guys have a large stock of parts and its built with pretty standard parts , well built and best of all they do offer support despite not trading , i dont think buying one is to much of a risk.

As far as using it goes it is already laid out in a way i feel that would allow some form of non visual use , its the most tactile sequencer i used and ive used most hardware ones and i have a feeling with time and maybe some braile labelling this synth could be the one for you.It has zero screen .

I can recommend it enough as a creative device but its very deep and complex and does take some time to get to grips with but what it can do is insane.

Last edited by Reptil; 29th January 2013 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: qoute fixed
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The mfb URZWERG PRO MKII can sequence 4 note chords.
http://www.mfberlin.de/Manual/Manual...wergPro_be.pdf
On the 2th page it says 4 voice polyphonic.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
if the mfb deffinatly does cords and some one can deffinatly conferm this then i'll probily get one please could some one give me the contact e-mail address for genoqs machines? i'm intrested in getting the nemo but not the octopus as it is to big.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainesthai ➑️
The mfb URZWERG PRO MKII can sequence 4 note chords.
http://www.mfberlin.de/Manual/Manual...wergPro_be.pdf
On the 2th page it says 4 voice polyphonic.
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
for genoqs contact [email protected]
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
why do you think the interface of the nemo is horrible? and in what ways does the nemo differ from the octopus?
Quote:
Originally Posted by droolmaster0 ➑️
I've used the genoqs sequencers. Of the 2, the octopus would be far superior I think, but I'm not sure that it would be my first choice as a recommendation. True - there are no menus, but in some cases you do rely on visual feedback, and as I recall, you have to keep track of lots of stuff like the modulation 'routings', which go from top to bottom, and the types of events, etc. I wonder whether the lack of menus would make it any easier if you couldn't see. For instance, would it really be easier to use it than a schrittmacher, where (at least in theory) you could figure out what you're doing by the number of notches when you turn the knobs.

I thought that the interface on the nemo was horrible - the octopus was a lot easier to use, but unless you can find one used at a great priced, it is very expensive (and also very large).

I like the recommendation of the sam-16. Can't remember whether you are looking for midi only - I'd say that while it does midi, it's primarily geared towards analog sequencing - but it does both very well. It can do very complex things, but the interface is quite simple (except for various switch settings which can get rather complicated). It also does some stuff that very few other sequencers do - you can do sequential switching with the bottom 2 rows - either audio or control signals.

But this is very expensive. I don't know if you'd find one used for less than about $2200 or so. and it's really a single channel - not like a midi oriented sequencer like the octopus or schrittmacher.

I haven't used any of the mfb sequencers. And there is also the oberkorn, which is reasonably priced. I can't remember whether it does midi out (?).
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Hey trey just wanted to say well done for interacting so well on this forum, it must be pretty difficult, do you use text to braille software? or have you got a mate who reads stuff out for you? I went to Uni with a Blind guy who had learned the Korg N364 inside out, all the menu's and sequencers and options and made amazing music with it. Anyway, i hope you find a good sequencer for your needs.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
i'm using the voice over screen reeder on mac os10 mountain lion drool master 20 can you please tell me more about serge sequencers?
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i actually have a genoqs nemo for sale in the for sale section. It is complex but the buttons have a feel that could easily be navigated on the fly once you get used to them. There can be menu diving involved though. Personally, i would recommend the doepfer dark time to you - simple and very sweet, why do you need a complex sequencer, why does anyone, simple sequences are key to good music in my humble opinion anyway! I tried the europa myself, thought it wasn't the best to be honest, dark time is much better!

regards
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
cool but on the dark time don't you have to dick about with jumpers for some functions? can it transmit cords? and why do you love it so much?
Quote:
Originally Posted by empirix ➑️
i actually have a genoqs nemo for sale in the for sale section. It is complex but the buttons have a feel that could easily be navigated on the fly once you get used to them. There can be menu diving involved though. Personally, i would recommend the doepfer dark time to you - simple and very sweet, why do you need a complex sequencer, why does anyone, simple sequences are key to good music in my humble opinion anyway! I tried the europa myself, thought it wasn't the best to be honest, dark time is much better!

regards
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Here you can hear a youtube video of a percormance on a Midibox seq4.
It consists just of a 17 x 17 grid of buttons on a board.
It has no screen to read or dials to turn, just buttons.

The first row selects different modes: like pattern, polyphonic keyboard, drumgrid, save, load and record.
I guess some patterns are preprogramed but the lead is played live on this sequencer.

MIDIbox SEQ V4 and BLM16x16+X Prototype - YouTube
Old 26th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
cool but on the dark time don't you have to dick about with jumpers for some functions? can it transmit cords? and why do you love it so much?
I don't have one, i will though, demoed one in Berlin, jumpers? as in the switch for jumping the step?? or are there more. No chords though, do you really need them. I like it because its old skool and trivial to use, makes a change these days ha
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
i am a proud owner of a new urzwerg pro mk2. i bought it over the dark time because it's not much more expensive and it's more flexible. build quality is ok.. it's pretty small, quite light and doesn't feel too cramped. it doesn't transmit chords. i bought a mutable instruments midipal to use with it, which has scale and chord hold features, which will provide the functionality you're after i think. any further questions, just let me know .
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Very interesting question, sound warrior. I guess the problem is that with hardware sequencers there are the old school CV and gate-style ones that do not work with multiple notes on one channel, or there are the modern midi ones that involve more or less menu diving. So basically you will not be able to find a machine that does chords but does not involve reading a display once in a while. Pretty bad situation.

One possibility might be to get more than one of the old school midi sequencers like the Dark Time, have them all set to the same Midi channel and then simply use a Midi merger to feed them all into the same polyphonic instrument. Not the cheapest solution though.

Have you considered a custom solution with a computer and some hardware controllers?

Or, to take the brainstorming a step further: What exactly are you planning to do? Maybe there is an elegant workaround, for live applications a looper pedal for example.
Old 26th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
in what ways is it more flexible than the dark time? isn't it pollyphonic? some people have said it can transmit cords also don't you need to see to be able to use the midipal? isn't it menu based? also do people think the mfb step64 would be a good option?
Quote:
Originally Posted by binman_uk ➑️
i am a proud owner of a new urzwerg pro mk2. i bought it over the dark time because it's not much more expensive and it's more flexible. build quality is ok.. it's pretty small, quite light and doesn't feel too cramped. it doesn't transmit chords. i bought a mutable instruments midipal to use with it, which has scale and chord hold features, which will provide the functionality you're after i think. any further questions, just let me know .
πŸ“ Reply