Quantcast
hardware midi sequencer for a totally blind person? - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
hardware midi sequencer for a totally blind person?
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I'm not sure about the Prophet but what I know from my old Korg Poly-800 chord memory is not such a good idea as it will always play the same notes relative to the actually played note. So you could only play e. g. minor chords 1st inversion on each key. So no changes from major to minor to 7 and inversions etc. This can be cool in some situations for some riffs but will not be satisfying as the only solution in the long run.

But maybe I'm a bit wrong and newer synths make more sophisticated chord progressions possible than the old Poly-800...

Maybe it would also be a good idea to contact a small manufacturer of hardware and/or software. Small companies often answer specific user requests and maybe your concern is even inspirational for new products that are also interesting to people who can see but prefer hardware. Just thinking.

Good luck in any case and let us know what you came up with in the end!
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Hi Trey,
I'm sorry for merging the threads, and the confusion it created. I'm trying to keep this interesting discussion in one place.
It's interesting for musicians that can see as well, because a lot of musicians have noticed that visual feedback (on a computer screen, or "menu diving") distracts from focussing on the music itself, and that is why a lot prefer one knob per function, and no screen at all.

I don't know to what extend a DAW software can be made accessible with the products you mentioned, but the need for a good hardware sequencer is well understood.

I'd second the MidiBox SEQ V4 Lite sequencer, a friend of mine built it, it's not a very complicated thing to do, and you can choose the buttons yourself - so you can get the ones that have the best tactile feedback (a positive response when you press them) and perhaps the LED indicator lamps can be exchanged for some part that will give you a tactile feedback. But I'm not quite sure myself what part, or how that will work out. But since the overall project is not so expensive, you'll have some room to play with.
Since there are some guys here on GS that DIY in the UK, I hope they'll chime in. I'll send you a PM later with some more information when I have it.
In the meantime I'd suggest you sign up for the Midibox Forum and also post your question there.
Here's the sign up page: Registration Form - MIDIbox Forum
Here's the relevant forum: MIDIbox SEQ - MIDIbox Forum

You've asked about Serge Sequencers. That's one of the older type sequencers, for analogue synths in modular form. Basically there's no computers involved here. It's just knobs and electronic circuits. They can drive any synthesizer that is accepting control voltage signals (electric current 0 to 5 volt) which can be attached through cables. Everything is tactile, but there's two minus points.
It's relatively expensive and it's not as powerful as a midi sequencer, which can hold many notes in it's memory and spit out multiple streams of notes.
So I'm not sure this is the way to go for you. I love modular synths myself, they can do awesome things, but they're very limited in other ways. You just have to like them.
There are modules that can translate the Control Voltage sequence into midi, this works (I have one) but is another chunk out of your budget.

An example of a very good (and very expensive) 4 voice sequencer is the Moon Modular M569. It has 4 rows of steps with switches and knobs.
Here's a demo of John L Rice (who posts here as well) with other modules being sequenced by it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZw-G9KerHA

Another cool sequencer is the Doepfer MAQ 16/3 (also has midi out) this has a 3 rows of 16 knobs and a little programming part (which works with multiple presses of buttons and a 2 digit screen for feedback. It's said to be a little buggy though.. I had the "Regelwerk" that has the same "brain" which was great but very complicated
Here's an example of it sequencing a Virus synth over midi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4kTrHCxhyU

A cheaper example is the Doepfer "Dark Time". again a few rows of switches and knobs, no menus, no screen.
here's a demo with a Korg Mono-Poly https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuPc9E2c1_Y

The Serge Sequencer is like that. It's great, but not suitable for sequencing multiple sources, and cannot hold any memory. A little Serge Synth of such a sequencer and a panel called "creature" might be a great experimental synth, but.... as said, you might not like it at all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&f...&v=XLDIGxlM1rA

Then, something completely different: there's another development that might be of interest to you: there's a corporation called Tactus Technologies that is making an add-on panel for tablets that has programmable buttons. Those buttons or surfaces appear on the surface of the pad, in the example to type something on a keyboard, but this would be easy to adapt to some sequencer for an iPad or other tablet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D127ipOdTA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJFwHuCs3Yw
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
What about the Yamaha tenori-on it seems to be able to be used just by button presses, maybe braille could be added to some of the led buttons.
I've never used one, but the Youtube clip shows quite a tactile approach to composing. Plus its 32 note polyphonic and has MIDI OUT. Even though its visual with the led buttons it maybe useful.
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I bet I could make an entire song using an ASR-10 blindfolded. The hardest part would be knowing what sounds are being loaded in, but once they are loaded, you just move from track to track recording.
Old 30th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
thanks for your kind help man where do i get a seq4 l kit from? and how much extra stuff would i need to buy? i'll post up on the midibox forum but please would you put the word out to the uk guys there's blind guy who will pay for some one to build a midibox seq4 light for him also where do you get the manule from? thanks loads trey!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil ➑️
Hi Trey,
I'm sorry for merging the threads, and the confusion it created. I'm trying to keep this interesting discussion in one place.
It's interesting for musicians that can see as well, because a lot of musicians have noticed that visual feedback (on a computer screen, or "menu diving") distracts from focussing on the music itself, and that is why a lot prefer one knob per function, and no screen at all.

I don't know to what extend a DAW software can be made accessible with the products you mentioned, but the need for a good hardware sequencer is well understood.

I'd second the MidiBox SEQ V4 Lite sequencer, a friend of mine built it, it's not a very complicated thing to do, and you can choose the buttons yourself - so you can get the ones that have the best tactile feedback (a positive response when you press them) and perhaps the LED indicator lamps can be exchanged for some part that will give you a tactile feedback. But I'm not quite sure myself what part, or how that will work out. But since the overall project is not so expensive, you'll have some room to play with.
Since there are some guys here on GS that DIY in the UK, I hope they'll chime in. I'll send you a PM later with some more information when I have it.
In the meantime I'd suggest you sign up for the Midibox Forum and also post your question there.

You've asked about Serge Sequencers. That's one of the older type sequencers, for analogue synths in modular form. Basically there's no computers involved here. It's just knobs and electronic circuits. They can drive any synthesizer that is accepting control voltage signals (electric current 0 to 5 volt) which can be attached through cables. Everything is tactile, but there's two minus points.
It's relatively expensive and it's not as powerful as a midi sequencer, which can hold many notes in it's memory and spit out multiple streams of notes.
So I'm not sure this is the way to go for you. I love modular synths myself, they can do awesome things, but they're very limited in other ways. You just have to like them.
There are modules that can translate the Control Voltage sequence into midi, this works (I have one) but is another chunk out of your budget.

An example of a very good (and very expensive) 4 voice sequencer is the Moon Modular M569. It has 4 rows of steps with switches and knobs.
Here's a demo of John L Rice (who posts here as well) with other modules being sequenced by it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZw-G9KerHA

Another cool sequencer is the Doepfer MAQ 16/3 (also has midi out) this has a 3 rows of 16 knobs and a little programming part (which works with multiple presses of buttons and a 2 digit screen for feedback. It's said to be a little buggy though.. I had the "Regelwerk" that has the same "brain" which was great but very complicated
Here's an example of it sequencing a Virus synth over midi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4kTrHCxhyU

A cheaper example is the Doepfer "Dark Time". again a few rows of switches and knobs, no menus, no screen.

The Serge Sequencer is like that. It's great, but not suitable for sequencing multiple sources, and cannot hold any memory. A little Serge Synth of such a sequencer and a panel called "creature" might be a great experimental synth, but.... as said, you might not like it at all.

Then, something completely different: there's another development that might be of interest to you: there's a corporation called Tactus Technologies that is making an add-on panel for tablets that has programmable buttons. Those buttons or surfaces appear on the surface of the pad, in the example to type something on a keyboard, but this would be easy to adapt to some sequencer for an iPad or other tablet.
Old 30th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
hey man heres an update re my last post i just red the midi box forum and i red that you cant pay for midi box so scratch that part of my request i think i'm a bit nurvis to ask some one to build me a midibox on there forum tbh i'm worried they'll tern me down the problem is i'm totally blind with cerible palsy which means i only have the use of one hand and i know apsolutly nothing about how to build electronics but i really think a midibox would be the best solution truble is now i feel stuck and sad cause i don't know what to do please could you help me or maybe you could please put me in touch with a uk midi box guy who could help? kind regards trey and thanks for your help it really does mean a lot!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil ➑️
Hi Trey,

Old 30th January 2013

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I've started a new thread in the DIY forum here:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/geeks...ml#post8694865
In the meantime please ask on the MidiBox forum? You can link from this thread, and tell them we sent you there. You've got nothing to lose doing that.
Old 31st January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
any one think the rp electronics seq12 would be any good? kind regards trey.
Old 1st February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Just had a thought that may have been mentioned already since it's been a while since I was in this thread, but what about just getting something for sequencing drums and then recording in the synths live to some sort of hardware recorder?
Old 1st February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
i would thing is tthoe i really need a sequencer that can do cords!
Old 14th February 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
hi all, well its been a long time since I first joind gearslutz and posted this thread. Firstly ide like to thank every one at gearslutz who has helped me with my other posts you've all been extremely kind and patient and it means a lot to me.

I've been wanting to rite this post for a long time but I haven't got round to it till just now.

A big thank you to all thoughs who helped me in this thread! in the end i bought a social entropy engine:

https://www.socialentropy.com/engine/?page_id=346

i bought it the day it came out and that was one of the most intense purchasing experiences of my life.

I couldn't be more happy with it! it lets me do a range of compositional things just like sited people that i never thought ide be able to do.

it took me a week to learn with my mums help (thanks mum)

Big up to jhon kimble at social entropy who spoke to me for over half an hour on the phone about the engine the other week.

its now my go to seq and i use it for every thing kind regards trey. PS I hope this update post was helpful
Old 14th February 2016
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I'd love to hear your music someday
Old 14th February 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Hey funny you should say that, I went to record a live jam the other day but discovered I didn't have enough midi cables A midi through box on extension lead with the right amount of the sockets on it
Old 15th February 2016
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Don't get me started about MIDI cables... one day you have too many... and then you have a friend come over... change up your setup... and realize all those short MIDI cables you bought maybe wasn't the best idea.
Old 16th February 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
i was just talking with my wife the other day about vision and hearing. she can sign somewhat and her mother works with deaf children, or used to. my wife said she would go insane if she was blind and would much rather have her vision than hearing. i relayed that if i went deaf, id probably kill myself.

just wanted to say that you have given me hope that even if i do lose my vision one day, i will still be able to carry on making beats. based on your various threads ive come across on here, you don't appear to be struggling despite not being able to see what you are doing. i can barely keep up with myself as it is and my eyes work well enough. it's inspiring to be honest with you. i too would love to hear what you've been cooking up. don't hesitate to post some stuff if you get something recorded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel ➑️
Don't get me started about MIDI cables... one day you have too many... and then you have a friend come over... change up your setup... and realize all those short MIDI cables you bought maybe wasn't the best idea.
the struggle is real.
Old 17th February 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
hi guys i will post up tunes soon and some demos to I've got to get every thing sorted in terms of being able to set things up and leave them with out packing down every flipping time. when that's done i'll be able to make live jams
πŸ“ Reply