Quantcast
8 Bit (Nintendo) Type Music - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
8 Bit (Nintendo) Type Music
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
8 Bit (Nintendo) Type Music

I was kind of interested in trying to make a 8bit song but I'm wondering what do people normally use? Is there a specific virtual instrument? Patch?
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Famitracker

Here is a song I made with it:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/attac...8-bits-256.mp3

http://famitracker.com/
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
what os are you on? using a daw?

famitrack looks awesome though, wish i could run it
Old 24th January 2013
PES
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Gameboy running LSDJ, or a NES with a PowerPak cartridge running Neil Baldwin software (NTRQ, Pulsar etc). More effort than using a VSTi (initially at least), but well worth it.
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
If mario is what you want.

Just use a square wave on just about any synth.
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

Im a big Midines fan
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I recommend Sammichsid for OTB.
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doefat04 ➑️
I was kind of interested in trying to make a 8bit song but I'm wondering what do people normally use? Is there a specific virtual instrument? Patch?
You wouldnt own a machinedrum would you?
I came across a fantastic samplepack for the MD on the website.

It is exactly what you are talking about.
Sound amazing. So many fantastic sounds just waiting to be sampled and messed around with.
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by was silents ➑️
I recommend Sammichsid for OTB.
The C64 is different in aesthetic and sound; the typical NES triangle is not available on the SID. Virtually no NES track uses the composition tricks used on the C64; for commercial video game soundtracks, the only that probably qualifies is the intro of Solstice.

One of the pinnacles of C64 music is probably this:

and this would probably be completely impossible on a NES.

So, 8-bit, yes; NES, not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel ➑️
If mario is what you want.

Just use a square wave on just about any synth.
Nope. Chiptunes employ tricks few synths can achieve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doefat04 ➑️
The Plogue Chipsounds is probably the best option. There's also YMCK official website if you want to stay in your DAW.

Most importantly is however learning all the tricks chiptune composers use to fake/mimic reverb, delay, polyphony, and having a strong background in composition. Typical about NES tracks is that because there's not much memory the track will loop over and over again - but it must not grate on the player without becoming so boring/basic that it's invisible. Study existing tracks, play back effects at half/quarter speed (for instance the Mushroom power-up sound), and learn from them.
Old 25th January 2013
PES
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
And regarding the tricks/techniques, the important thing to know is the limitations of the original chips (if attempting to make authentic NES/other console music using synths/plugins etc), since those limitations are what made those tricks necessary to begin with. If you use any square/sine/noise osc synths in a DAW without having the "rules" of the original chip in mind, it's easy to make something that would be impossible to do on the original platform, making the effort a bit pointless (unless just the actual timbre is the goal).
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
^ This. Specifically the Peach, Toad and Triforce VSTs. They are all designed to sound like the NES.
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Thanks for all the feed back guys! Im on a Mac and I use Logic and Pro-Tools. Just downloaded the audio-unit of yack although I have no Idea what it said. I just went for the mac download button.
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
If you like chiptunes you may want to check this guy out

Henry Homesweet - Live-Mode #2 - YouTube

He is using a nanoloop cartridge (from nanoloop.de).
It's a step sequencer/synth for for the game boy.
There is a nanoloop cartridge for the original game boy and one for the Game Boy Advance.
It's a portable battery powered music making option and if you like Nintendo sounds then this might be a great fit.

Last edited by Tintagon; 25th January 2013 at 08:52 PM.. Reason: just because
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintagon ➑️
If you like the chiptunes you may want to check this guy out

Henry Homesweet - Live-Mode #2 - YouTube

The game boy advance is using a nanoloop cartridge (do a google search).
It's a cool and quite deep little sequencer/synth for for the game boy.
This is not authentic 8 bit (though the original game boy version is) but it sounds good and can do some fm type sounds too.
Um, the GBA has the same chips as the Game Boy for backwards compatibility, as well as the newer chip.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years

Also, the sound of "8 bit" is not as much bit reduction per se as it is aliasing and limited frequency response out of cheap D/A converters.
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Please ignore my 8 bit comments if they are inaccurate.
Nanoloop is very awesome!
Have fun.
Old 25th January 2013
Bitcrusher logic?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintagon ➑️
Please ignore my 8 bit comments if they are inaccurate.
Nanoloop is very awesome!
Have fun.
I use a GBA with a Game Boy Camera (the DJ Sequencer mini game) and the sound is in fact, 8 bit.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by draven5 ➑️
Bitcrusher logic?
Bitcrushers don't make anything 8-bit. It's an interesting effect on its own but doesn't make anything sound like it's from a video game or a vintage sampler.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer ➑️
Bitcrushers don't make anything 8-bit. It's an interesting effect on its own but doesn't make anything sound like it's from a video game or a vintage sampler.
The free Toneboosters vst can make it sound like it's from a vintage sampler. Well pretty close anyway.

TB TimeMachine

Though for the samples that you'd find in an NES game, you'd need a way to convert wavs to dpcm. Famitracker can do this, and which is how I used a voice sample in my chiptune song.
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
a midines and a sidstation
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I swear i remember seeing a hardware synth on Kickstarter recently which was specifically for chip tunes, it looks really cool too, cant remember for the life of me what it was called though
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
38911bytes (i prefer v3):

38911Bytes

Dr.SID for drums:

DrSid

Plogue's Chipsounds is pretty damn awesome for chip in general, covers pretty much everything:

CHIPSOUNDS | 8-bit VST Plug-in/Audio Unit/Pro Tools Plug-In | Best software synth to emulate classic video game sound chips

the C64 and GameBoy are where it's at, the NES is painfully boring in comparison.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
So once my album Minor/Major is done, i'm doing a re-arranged, completely chiptune version (Using MSSIAH 64, MIDINES, A modified sega genesis, etc) and calling it BLIP/BLOOP
Old 26th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc ➑️
Plogue's Chipsounds is pretty damn awesome for chip in general, covers pretty much everything:

CHIPSOUNDS | 8-bit VST Plug-in/Audio Unit/Pro Tools Plug-In | Best software synth to emulate classic video game sound chips
+1

totally worth it imho. gives you a nice taste of a ton of different chips
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Sid by refx sounds pretty close imo
Old 26th January 2013 | Show parent
Deleted cc5e104
Quote:
Originally Posted by PES ➑️
And regarding the tricks/techniques, the important thing to know is the limitations of the original chips (if attempting to make authentic NES/other console music using synths/plugins etc), since those limitations are what made those tricks necessary to begin with. If you use any square/sine/noise osc synths in a DAW without having the "rules" of the original chip in mind, it's easy to make something that would be impossible to do on the original platform, making the effort a bit pointless (unless just the actual timbre is the goal).
Yupp, if you plan on doing this in a DAW while wanting to keep it sounding authentic, keep your track counts low!

Although, the way most people tend to start out is by buying the LSDJ rom and using an emulator. The rom is something like two dollars to buy and emulators are free. Buying the rom and using it with an emulator first is less of a wasted investment if you decide you don't want to pursue it any further after trying it out (rather than buying and/or modding gameboys and flash carts etc.)

Check out the forums on this site for some tutorials and stuff ChipMusic.org

I used to make a fair bit of chipmusic but I haven't made anything serious in quite a while, I've got a drawer in my room completely FULL of old gameboys that I've yet to mod too haha. I'm slowly getting back into it though . . .
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Hey dude! I've always been WAY into NES music, hell half the time I'd turn on certain games just to sit and listen to the music!!!! My fav music games were Final Fantasy (the cascading arps/progression of the intro screen is just mindblowingly beautiful), and Mega Man 2 and 3, especially certain evil robot stages...Also the intro and stage 1 music of Double Dragon.

I'd give +1 for Plogue Chipsounds, as well as ReFX Vanguard SID...as someone pointed out you can just use square sine triangle and noise oscs, but to really get the sound you've really gotta study how they used them...it's amazing how much different they sound 20 years after you heard them, I don't know if it's still available but you used to be able to download an NES emulator for computer called NESticle, and DL just about every game for it, and it was just like playing the game, music and all (in fact they even make USB controllers just like the originals!) Also, if you're looking for MIDIs of any NES games (or from ANY system, definitely check out

VGMusic - 30,666 Game Music MIDI files

it can be a HUGE help to just have the MIDI to load into your DAW and change the sounds versus trying to figure it out by ear...

And to check out some really dope remixes of video game muisc, check out

ocremix.com

Good luck man!
πŸ“ Reply