Quantcast
Korg M3 OR Kurzweil Pc3LE - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Korg M3 OR Kurzweil Pc3LE
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Korg M3 OR Kurzweil Pc3LE

I'm looking at these two keyboards to use as a master keyboard. I'm interested in the units because of the assignable pads.. The M3 has 120 note polyphony, and the Kurz got 60 Polyphony. I believe you can use both units pads in the same way. The m3 is stll rather expensive, and the kurz brand new is decently priced.. as far as synths, pads, which one would you go for.. I'm leaning towards the M3 more.. but the price of the kurz got me looking twice.. Help me to the right direction.. Thanks..

Peace
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
bump
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Kurzweil has a better voice allocation algorithm than M3, so even if it has half polyphony, it works better than M3. For example, when you mute a timbre in a M3 combi, it's still consuming polyphony even if you're not hearing it. When you mute a timbre in a PC3 setup, it doesn't consume polyphony.

Not to mention that there is a LOT of things that can happen in one voice of PC3.
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
What would you choose, evil dragon.. The M3 or the Kurz LE? Can you combine sounds in the Kurz LE like piano, strings, and so forth? Isn't the kurz newer?
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
I already have a PC3K8...
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
The pc3K8 is def better than the Le.. The k series has 128 polyphony. If you can shed some knowledge on the LE series it would be great. I'm looking at either the PC3LE or the M3. I know that you cannot sample in the le, and I'm not sure about the m3. I'm considering these two units because of the pads, and what you can do with them.. (Dont ask me why) lol.. I'm just held up on the polyphony with the LE...and if you can expand sounds.. I think you get what you get with the LE.. I think you can add some extra sounds with the m3 but not much..I would also like to combine sounds in the LE..say a string and a piano.. can you do that with the LE? I'm not worried about a sequencer cause I use cubase.. Help me out bro..
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
M3 can sample.

PC3LE has enough memory for your own patches - but Kurzweil's patch structure is a bit different (all the various "objects" - object being a program, a setup, an FX chain, a QA bank, a keymap, etc. - PC3LE has room for up to 16000 objects). First 1024 memory locations are reserved for factory data, but user memory locations are from 1025-2560. There's PLENTY of room for your own patches (especially now that PC3LE got full VAST editing from the board itself!). The only limitation is that you can't edit FX chains (you can only import FX chains via USB, from PC3 or PC3K - bearing in mind that some won't work because PC3LE has less FX units).
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Nice, thanks alot bro. What would you choose? The M3 or The KurzLe.. I'm still stuck between the two...
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Well I already made my choice, Kurzweil simply sounded warmer than M3 for me, and you actually get a virtual analog engine with it, and a Hammond engine (KB3) with it. M3 doesn't have a Hammond emulation engine, but you can have a very decent VA (Radias) as an additional expense.

It all depends on what you do.
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Thanks man..
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
To me that is hard decision, I love both boards.
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Can you combine sounds in the LE?
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Of course. You might wanna read the manual to find out about everything it can do?
πŸ“ Reply