Quantcast
DSI Prophet 12 - Page 99 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DSI Prophet 12
Old 19th August 2015 | Show parent
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyBakes ➡️
I was in a local Guitar Center the other day and they had the P12 module for $1499. Its not used either. I am super tempted. I want to sell some stuff before or if I pull the trigger on it. We'll see.
Damn which GC?
Old 19th August 2015
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
The Guitar Center by the Barclays Center in Brooklyn. They had it up where they kept the stock, and it had a sign on it with $1499. It has been sitting there for awhile.
Old 19th August 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgearguy ➡️
Before you do, throw the latest OS update in and give it a spin. 2 different delay flavors plus Linear FM plus a bunch of other bug fixes and nice to have features added.
too late, is in the classifieds
Old 3rd September 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
EDIT: ok, I misunderstood the way the wavetable left/right functions work, and after RTFM can't really complain about that feature.

My other nitpick is the way the velocity amount knobs work, particularly the filter velocity. It does not take velocity into account, so even if you have a negative filter envelope, adding any velocity will invert it back into a positive envelope. Furthermore, it's just too exaggerated... even if you WANT a positive filter envelope, you have to set your envelope amount to 0 before you add any velocity, or the result will be the same as cranking the cutoff to max.

Even ignoring the functionality with negative envelopes, it's just bad for workflow. On any other synth, when you max out the velocity/dynamics value, you barely need to adjust anything else; occasionally it will make your sounds too dark, which you can adjust for by banging on the keys harder or notching up the cutoff just a bit.

On the , if you want to use any filter velocity at all, you pretty much have to undo anything you might have done with the envelope amount knob and then redo your envelope amount with the velocity knob. I am sure it's still possible to spike down your negative envelope with velocity in the mod matrix, but this defeats the purpose of having a convenient "filter velocity" knob right by your fingers.

Not the end of the world, but it's weird to me how the P12 can make something complicated like keyboard splits so amazingly easy compared to old Roland boards like the JX-10, yet manage to make something so simple like velocity (which is handled easily on vintage boards) into such a complicated hassle.

Last edited by Gnalvl; 3rd September 2015 at 06:20 PM..
Old 4th October 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Is there any way to set the unison detune as a mod destination?
Old 20th October 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Small bank of presets for download. Examples below.

Bank contains 49 patches including original creations and modified presets.

Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Davis ➡️
Small bank of presets for download. Examples below.

Bank contains 49 patches including original creations and modified presets.

Beautiful! Your videos are one of the main reasons I bought the Prophet 12... I knew there was more to this beast than others had shown. Turns our I love the Prophet 12. Love all my other DSI stuff too... so much to explore.

Quick question. Do your lower octave keys have like a stickiness to them when they haven't been played in a while? It's like there is tape in there that needs loosened up? I bought mine used and just wondering.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Piana ➡️
Beautiful! Your videos are one of the main reasons I bought the Prophet 12... I knew there was more to this beast than others had shown. Turns our I love the Prophet 12. Love all my other DSI stuff too... so much to explore.

Quick question. Do your lower octave keys have like a stickiness to them when they haven't been played in a while? It's like there is tape in there that needs loosened up? I bought mine used and just wondering.
Thanks!

I have the same issue on my P12 keyboard, except its the high octave! It's just a tad annoying if I haven't play the synth in a few days. I also bought used.

One other thing, the keys on my P12 are very yellow. Don't know if the old guy I got it from had it sitting in the sun or something. I'm actually going to order a new keybed from DSI. I think the price is $75.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Davis ➡️
Thanks!

I have the same issue on my P12 keyboard, except its the high octave! It's just a tad annoying if I haven't play the synth in a few days. I also bought used.

One other thing, the keys on my P12 are very yellow. Don't know if the old guy I got it from had it sitting in the sun or something. I'm actually going to order a new keybed from DSI. I think the price is $75.
That's it? That's not bad at all. The keys on mine are pretty white. It looks in great shape otherwise and seems to respond evenly to velocity and pressure changes. I need to upgrade the pots on my Evolver/ I wish they had a keyboard replacement for that, as I was trying to fix the aftertouch strip and ended up killing the entire aftertouch. I don't use it, but maybe I'd like to sell it in the future (probably not though).

I noticed you use some reverb/delay pedals on 12, do you have any experience with good plugins vs those pedals? I was looking at an H9 eventide, but so far I have been ok with Valhallah/Waves/Eventide plugins.
Old 20th October 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I mainly use hardware effects for my stuff because my laptop isn't powerful enough to to do many quality effects in real time.

I use: BigSky, El Capistan, Boss RE-20, Digitech Timebender, Red Panda Particle, and Zoom CDR-70.
F5D
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Piana ➡️
My P12 and P08 both have the "sticky keys after not playing for at least 3 hours". Also the Pro-2 has this, but not as pronounced as the P12. So, before starting to play, I go through the keyboard by pressing each key once to get rid of the stickyness. Then it is ok. I have mentioned this twice before in some treads, but not many had noticed such a thing. To me, it is a little bit annoying, but luckily still a minor problem. One day I will just open up the synths and put some lube to the springs.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by F5D ➡️
My P12 and P08 both have the "sticky keys after not playing for at least 3 hours". Also the Pro-2 has this, but not as pronounced as the P12. So, before starting to play, I go through the keyboard by pressing each key once to get rid of the stickyness. Then it is ok. I have mentioned this twice before in some treads, but not many had noticed such a thing. To me, it is a little bit annoying, but luckily still a minor problem. One day I will just open up the synths and put some lube to the springs.
My P12 has had this since day one. It's not a problem, but I have always thought it a bit curious.
Old 30th October 2015
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Hello! I'm a proud to be a owner of P12 keyboard as well :p

I have a issue(with myself) that is when I working with daw(Logic pro x, 10.2).

so here are steps that what I did.

1. Record midi notes via External channel (Ch.1)

2. Record audio(Ch2)

simple, ha, but every time when I try to match P12's LFO temp to Daw's tempo it's extremely hard.

the notes recorded well, as expected but only problem I have is lofts synced tempo and daw's tempo.

It's not like they're playing different tempo, but when Daw's beat going like 1 2 3 4
Lfo's beat going like 1 2 3 4

how can I sync those two?
Old 9th November 2015 | Show parent
Sorry, if this has been covered elsewhere in the thread. How does the FM sound like and is it linear or exponential?
Also, does the P12 have MPE implementation i.e. can it be played with a multi-dimensional controller like the Linnstrument?

Last edited by 142977; 9th November 2015 at 03:36 AM.. Reason: Damn you, auto correct!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_apprentice ➡️
does the P12 have MPE implantation i.e. can it be played with a multi-dimensional controller like the Linnstrument?
No it doesn't. It does respond to poly aftertouch though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimwolf ➡️
No it doesn't. It does respond to poly aftertouch though.
Oh :(
Are you sure? I thought I saw a video with Roger and Dave trying the P12 module with the Linnstrument. Maybe they were just using poly aftertouch there.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Oh :(
Are you sure? I thought I saw a video with Roger and Dave trying the P12 module with the Linnstrument. Maybe they were just using poly aftertouch there.
I'm fairly sure. I play LinnStrument myself, so I try to keep up with these things. If if did have multi-dimensional support (in a firmware upgrade maybe?), I'd seriously consider getting the module.
Quote:
I'm fairly sure. I play LinnStrument myself, so I try to keep up with these things. If if did have multi-dimensional support (in a firmware upgrade maybe?), I'd seriously consider getting the module.
This is the video. What's going on there?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
This is the video. What's going on there?
I don't hear any differences between notes, when he's playing more than one, in the response to pitch-bend, pressure, or timbre (X, Z, Y) control changes.
Quote:
I don't hear any differences between notes, when he's playing more than one, in the response to pitch-bend, pressure, or timbre (X, Z, Y) control changes.
Yeah, he's not playing glissandi but vibrato seems to work. He applies pressure and the sound changes but Dave is also manning the knobs at the same time.
Curious video. Maybe @ Pym can clear this up.
Old 1st December 2015 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Just released some new patches for The Prophet 12

Available for purchase here via my technologically advanced webpage
http://bobswanspatches.byethost3.com...20Patches.html

Old 3rd January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I re-uploaded my hybrid pads demo to soundcloud as the the original post was from mp3 rather than wav. This sounds much better:

Old 3rd January 2016 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
How does the FM sound like and is it linear or exponential?
Original P12 shipped with exponential FM.

1.3 OS update adds linear FM as an option.

Video with John Chowning and Dave Smith talking about it, then some sound demos at end: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB9a2lPjzEo
Old 3rd January 2016 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by adydub ➡️
I re-uploaded my hybrid pads demo to soundcloud as the the original post was from mp3 rather than wav. This sounds much better:

Great sounds! Thanks for sharing
Old 6th January 2016 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Those are very interesting, some are nice and gritty as I like 'em - thanks for sharing.
I am contemplating the P12, and due to money and space constraints I am looking into the module. I am a bit worried about the lack of knobs on the interface, and I find it almost impossible to find videos on how the interface actually works. I've read it's pretty efficient but would like to see in action how the parameters and pages map to the buttons.

Does anybody have some good videos showing the module interface?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by greenborder; 6th January 2016 at 03:44 PM..
Old 6th January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I wonder whether multitimbrality coould be possible with an update?

Lots of voices for multitimbral possibilities.....
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenborder ➡️
Those are very interesting, some are nice and gritty as I like 'em - thanks for sharing.
I am contemplating the P12, and due to money and space constraints I am looking into the module. I am a bit worried about the lack of knobs on the interface, and I find it almost impossible to find videos on how the interface actually works. I've read it's pretty efficient but would like to see in action how the parameters and pages map to the buttons.

Does anybody have some good videos showing the module interface?
Thanks in advance.
Don't know of any videos. I'm sure the manual would answer your questions though!
Old 6th January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
did they release presets with the new FM?
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Nice subtle movt. Feels alive
Old 7th January 2016 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordsdrawnigh ➡️
Don't know of any videos. I'm sure the manual would answer your questions though!
I looked through the manual but it doesn't give me a good idea of how efficient the programming is - for instance I'd like to find out how the parameters are grouped and mapped per page, how to assign things in the mod matrix, etc.

I find it quite odd there are so little in-depth reviews and demos of the module version.
📝 Reply