DSI Prophet 12 - Page 97 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DSI Prophet 12
Old 6th July 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinsai ➑️
Because digital audio is so good that until you get to "extreme" reduction values, you don't hear it impact the sound. 12 bits is often more than enough for typical music dynamic range, 16 or 24 just helps prevent errors. As for sampling rate, it really depends on the sound and what you can hear.

Given that one of the parameters is really affecting dynamic range, you need percussive sounds/things with changing volume to hear things change earlier (and usually you'll hear the noise floor come up first).

Put it on a scope and you'll likely see the differences right away, even if you can't hear them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Septic ➑️
See attachment, use at own risk !
Some of the reasons I love Gearslutz!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Davis ➑️
Just had a chance to listen to this; love it!

p.s. You don't look like your picture.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Knoch ➑️
p.s. You don't look like your picture.
Haha. I should hope not!
Old 7th July 2015
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I'm starting to GAS for a P12 module. There are actually a few positive comments about them on this thread (not easy to find elsewhere)!

I've had pretty good luck with the SoundTower editors for my Mophos & my Evolvers. I do like programming on the box, but I don't really mind using the software editors.

Anybody have any experience using the SoundTower editor with the P12 desktop?

Thanks
Old 8th July 2015 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
@ Blackdog128
Assuming the dog in the avatar is yours; why do you use pinch collar?
Old 8th July 2015 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog128 ➑️
I'm starting to GAS for a P12 module. There are actually a few positive comments about them on this thread (not easy to find elsewhere)!

I've had pretty good luck with the SoundTower editors for my Mophos & my Evolvers. I do like programming on the box, but I don't really mind using the software editors.

Anybody have any experience using the SoundTower editor with the P12 desktop?

Thanks
Yes, i have been using it since the day my module arrived, its pretty much the same as all the other editors they do. Works like a treat. I use it mainly for the patch library functions . Its not been updated since Sept 2014 and i don't see any mention of an update to reflect the new o\s functions.
I also have the plugSE version because i did some beta testing but i do not really use it, i reported some issues during the beta but got nothing back and it got released anyway.
Old 8th July 2015
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Thanks, @ Bobswans ! Since you're using the software mainly as a patch librarian is it safe to assume you do most programming on the unit itself (and that you find that at least doable)?

Of course the P12 keyboard is far knobbier, but space considerations ... And from the videos, it does look like they've done a nice job on the module's UI. Is that your feeling?

Thanks!
Old 8th July 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The more crappy new toys I see coming out (hint: reface) the more reason I appreciate my P12. So happy there are still innovaters like Dave Smith around.
Old 9th July 2015 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Thanks, @ Bobswans ! Since you're using the software mainly as a patch librarian is it safe to assume you do most programming on the unit itself (and that you find that at least doable)?

Of course the P12 keyboard is far knobbier, but space considerations ... And from the videos, it does look like they've done a nice job on the module's UI. Is that your feeling?

Thanks!
Yes, totally my feeling. I do use the editor for programming patches as well as the module controls. Its a bit quicker for me to use the editor when dealing with some layered patches.

I thought i might have trouble with the lack of knobs at first but after 30 mins of playing and enjoying the amazing sound of the thing i was hooked.
Old 9th July 2015
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Awesome! Thanks ...
Old 10th July 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I was wondering has anyone made any 8-bit music with a prophet 12? With the bitcrusher, distortion, and analog filters it might sound really cool!
Old 10th July 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The DSI thread says they're not at 1.2.9.4 now. but I'm not seeing the file to download. Are there still bugs and they pulled it down??
Old 10th July 2015 | Show parent
Deleted ca98332
Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana ➑️
The DSI thread says they're not at 1.2.9.4 now. but I'm not seeing the file to download. Are there still bugs and they pulled it down??
yep, waiting for their DSP guy to return to the office next week.
Old 10th July 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Cool. I'll wait to update (like everyone else I guess).
Old 12th July 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Here's a dark ambient/industrial track I made in the studio using primarily the Prophet 12, SEM Pro, and Roland HPD-20.

Vocals are by an amazing singer named Damla Pehlevan.

I also used a short sample of Aleister Crowley reading from his Book of the Law.

https://soundcloud.com/chemosit/sins-of-the-father
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted ca98332 ➑️
yep, waiting for their DSP guy to return to the office next week.
I think 1.2.9.2 was more stable although it had the same dropped voice issues although maybe not as bad. If you want to play with linear FM, go for it if you can find a DL, otherwise wait.
Old 12th July 2015
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Just out of curiosity, does the P12 Module use the same os version (or "firmware") as the keyboards? If not, will it still get the same new features (e.g., linear FM) as the boards?

Thanks,
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Just out of curiosity, does the P12 Module use the same os version (or "firmware") as the keyboards? If not, will it still get the same new features (e.g., linear FM) as the boards?
They both have the very same features, although there's a different upgrade sysex files for each of them.

Ummm, for the last update (1.2.9.4) they actually both had the same bugs too

LA
Old 12th July 2015
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Thanks, LA Keys! I had just been checking the DSI website and saw that there's an OS download for the Module that seems to be module-specific. So that part of my question was easily answered. I'm glad to hear that they have the same features as the keys (hopefully, they'll get the same bug fixes ;-). Makes sense, from DSI's pov it would be more headaches to support two diverging feature sets.

Starting to feel pretty good about the idea of getting a P12 Module, as i have at least two really nice MIDI keyboard controllers (already paid for) and it might leave me with enough budget left over for a Pro 2 to drive it as well!
Old 12th July 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Finished my P12 album.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Davis ➑️
Finished my P12 album.
Link?
Old 13th July 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonF ➑️
Link?
I'm in talks with a small net label for releasing. I'll post a link when it's out.
Old 13th July 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
guys, is there a known bug when sometimes the SLOP Knob doesn't seem to work? thanks
Old 13th July 2015 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickdafunk ➑️
guys, is there a known bug when sometimes the SLOP Knob doesn't seem to work? thanks
I've never heard of or encountered one. Under what circumstances does yours not work?
Old 14th July 2015
Pym
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Think we got the voice issue figured out. OS is up on disforum
Old 15th July 2015 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
So I've been messing around a little bit with the linear FM. I got a basic E-piano sound, but besides that it's hard to figure out. Anyone know where/how I can get some education on it?
Old 15th July 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerby derb ➑️
So I've been messing around a little bit with the linear FM. I got a basic E-piano sound, but besides that it's hard to figure out. Anyone know where/how I can get some education on it?
Old 16th July 2015 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Cool, thanks Soviet
Old 16th July 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Cool, thanks Soviet
Sure thing!

I can't wait to hear some demos of the new linear FM mode. I imagine that the P12's shape modulation parameter coupled with linear FM would be quite powerful.
Old 16th July 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SovietSpaceChild ➑️
Quote:

Must watch again when not so high.
πŸ“ Reply