Quantcast
DSI Prophet 12 - Page 93 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DSI Prophet 12
Old 13th April 2015 | Show parent
  #2761
Lives for gear
 
D_Davis's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum7 ➡️
Does anyone know if there is a P12 editor or librarian? If not, is there one planned?
I use Patchmorpher on the iPad.
Old 13th April 2015
  #2762
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
is there a forum that shares prophet12 patches? banks?
I imagine by now someone's made thousands of them,
Old 13th April 2015 | Show parent
  #2763
Lives for gear
 
Quantum7's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 0fc8128 ➡️
Yeah, I would read up on the DSI forum regarding this piece of software first. I did not hear good things neither it fully supported the newer OS. But they might updated the SW, I did not follow up on their progress anymore.
It had better work considering how much they charge for their editor.
Old 13th April 2015 | Show parent
  #2764
Lives for gear
 
Fuseball's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum7 ➡️
It had better work considering how much they charge for their editor.
Frankly, if you've got the P12 Keys then I wouldn't touch an editor to program it. It's at least as easy and a whole lot more enjoyable to do your sound design on the synth itself. I grabbed a demo version of the editor, which I remember being quite useful to view how all 4 oscillators were being used though.

I had a terrible time with Soundtower's Tetra editor so the P12 one would have needed to be something extra special to make me pay up again.
Old 13th April 2015 | Show parent
  #2765
Lives for gear
 
Quantum7's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuseball ➡️
Frankly, if you've got the P12 Keys then I wouldn't touch an editor to program it. It's at least as easy and a whole lot more enjoyable to do your sound design on the synth itself. I grabbed a demo version of the editor, which I remember being quite useful to view how all 4 oscillators were being used though.

I had a terrible time with Soundtower's Tetra editor so the P12 one would have needed to be something extra special to make me pay up again.
I mainly wanted the editor as an easy way to load new sound back into the P12...of course I won't know until I try the demo first. Are there any free sound managers for the P12?
Old 13th April 2015 | Show parent
  #2766
Lives for gear
 
plaid_emu's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing ➡️
You get what you pay for!
My hometown landscape is beautiful in its own way.



Seriously though, it is really nice here 8.5 months out of the year. Weather is perfect right now. Sunny with a few clouds and 77°F. I also live a stone's throw away from this place:






My backyard and neighborhood look much the same, minus the tall cliffs, but add some nearby cornfields.
Old 13th April 2015 | Show parent
  #2767
Lives for gear
 
genetic92's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickdafunk ➡️
new Prophet 12 demo #2 : Analog & Wavetables

Drums: Linn LM1, Oberheim DMX
awesome!
Old 13th April 2015 | Show parent
  #2768
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum7 ➡️
I'm glad your getting the P12 because for some reason I thought that you originally didn't like it (may have mixed you up with someone else).
Maybe it was me. I had mixed feelings about it. I kind of still do. I remember not liking a lot of what I initially heard from it and then hearing a demo that blew me away, but I kind of felt it was too expensive. Then, I heard more of things I liked, but what you're possibly thinking of was your post where you asked if you should get rid of your A1 for the Prophet 12. I thought that from what I had heard of your music that the A1 would be a better sonic fit for you as the Prophet 12 often sounded kind of harsh or sort of dirty. There aren't many demos of it sounding really clean, full and rich like the A1 seems to do very well. Many demos of it sounding very retro "Boards of Canada" style, very few sounding like your music, but of course it's based on my limited experience with your music and just what I've gleaned from listening to a lot of Prophet 12 Soundcloud demos.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum7 ➡️
I actually bought a Fizmo a few years ago, but sold it within a month. I thought I wanted it, but for some reason it didn't excite me all that much one I had it. I did get some good samples out of it though.
Yeah, not sure how I'd feel with one if I had it. Every demo of it sounds great to me, but I wonder how I'd feel if I had one. I bet I might get super frustrated if I couldn't sense a direct correlation between what it was doing and how I was editing it. I think I made the right choice to stick to software for a 100% digital synth like the Fizmo. If it could be found in good condition for $600, I'd have one for sure, but not for $1600.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum7 ➡️
I know you want a Modulus 002 one day, but do you really feel it is worth the price? Don't get me wrong, the demos sound nice, but you could have both a P12 and a P6 for that price. The Solaris actually tempts me a little more.
Yeah, there's something really sweet and compelling about the sound of that thing, though I recently heard a pretty scathing review of the interface. Again, it's a synth where I've yet to hear a demo that didn't excite me. I'd say about 50% of Prophet 12 demos make me think, "Meh, I could do that in software just fine." 20% sound kind of bad, but 30% sound great. It was finally enough to compel me to order one, but I made sure I could return it if it didn't wow me in person. The Solaris sounds really good to me too, but I did a Soundcloud playlist of Solaris demos and Codex demos and I tried to pick out the Solaris demos blindfolded. I couldn't. I totally can pick out the Prophet 12 demos though. Well, most of them. That was a big factor for me. I don't see any reason in having a hardware instrument if I can get close to that kind of vibe in software. Saying that, I do have to admit that I'm excited about having a chunk of actual instrument and all that means. Doesn't mean I'm not upgraded to Omnisphere 2 at the end of the month, though.
Old 13th April 2015 | Show parent
  #2769
Lives for gear
 
adydub's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum7 ➡️
I mainly wanted the editor as an easy way to load new sound back into the P12...of course I won't know until I try the demo first. Are there any free sound managers for the P12?
You could try the Elektron C6 - it's free and it works nicely for transferring sound banks between a computer and the P12: Support and Downloads | Elektron
Old 14th April 2015 | Show parent
  #2770
Lives for gear
 
Quantum7's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing ➡️
Maybe it was me. I had mixed feelings about it. I kind of still do. I remember not liking a lot of what I initially heard from it and then hearing a demo that blew me away, but I kind of felt it was too expensive. Then, I heard more of things I liked, but what you're possibly thinking of was your post where you asked if you should get rid of your A1 for the Prophet 12. I thought that from what I had heard of your music that the A1 would be a better sonic fit for you as the Prophet 12 often sounded kind of harsh or sort of dirty. There aren't many demos of it sounding really clean, full and rich like the A1 seems to do very well. Many demos of it sounding very retro "Boards of Canada" style, very few sounding like your music, but of course it's based on my limited experience with your music and just what I've gleaned from listening to a lot of Prophet 12 Soundcloud demos.
The A1, at least from the factory presets, didn't seem to grab a hold of me for my New Age stuff unfortunately. Alchemy, Omnisphere, and Zebra seem to be the synths that define my New Age preferred sounds, but I really do think that there is room for the P12 in there. If it doesn't fit that music, then I will certainly have fun using it for some of the library tracks I write for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing ➡️
Doesn't mean I'm not upgraded to Omnisphere 2 at the end of the month, though.
You and me both. Omni 2 is definitely the most exciting thing, software-wise, I've seen in a while. 17 more days!!!
Old 14th April 2015 | Show parent
  #2771
Lives for gear
 
adydub's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing ➡️
I'd say about 50% of Prophet 12 demos make me think, "Meh, I could do that in software just fine." 20% sound kind of bad, but 30% sound great. It was finally enough to compel me to order one, but I made sure I could return it if it didn't wow me in person.
I've touched on this before, but the P12 is a very flexible instrument and as such it gives its best when you carefully work towards things - it tends to be lots of little things that come together to make a satisfying sound rather than something like a Juno where you can get a wow moment just by adjusting the filter cutoff and rez. That said, it's really fast to work with, I'm filling up the memory slots at a rate of knots.

One other thing to consider with regard to the 'wow', especially if you're coming from something like a Virus or KingKorg, is effects. A bit of external reverb can add a lot of gloss, and can really make a sound more complete, so don't be shy of strapping a verb onto the outputs when first getting to grips with things and maybe flipping through the presets.

One trick I *really* like to get a bit more lushness out of the P12 quad delay section is to add a subtle bit of fast-ish modulation (values of 10 or less) to a couple of the delay times (ensuring the LFO slew is set to 64).
Old 14th April 2015 | Show parent
  #2772
Lives for gear
 
Quantum7's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by adydub ➡️

One other thing to consider with regard to the 'wow', especially if you're coming from something like a Virus or KingKorg, is effects. A bit of external reverb can add a lot of gloss, and can really make a sound more complete, so don't be shy of strapping a verb onto the outputs when first getting to grips with things and maybe flipping through the presets.
I will also be getting the P12 soon and was thinking about "strapping a verb onto the outputs" also, just to make sure I give it a fair shake. So many synths have built-in reverb that you tend to really miss it when a synth doesn't have it. I'll probably put some of my favorite 2CAudio B2 verbs on it when going in to my DAW.....although the fantastic delays on the P12 will definitely help with the absence of built-in reverb.
Old 14th April 2015 | Show parent
  #2773
Gear Head
 
snogglethorpe's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by adydub ➡️
One trick I *really* like to get a bit more lushness out of the P12 quad delay section is to add a subtle bit of fast-ish modulation (values of 10 or less) to a couple of the delay times (ensuring the LFO slew is set to 64).
+100000 for this... the delay lines are one of the P12's best features!

An additional suggestion: for the LFO modulating the delay time, use a wave with a sharp edge (ramp/square/random-square) and turn up the LFO lag setting and experiment with it... There are points, where a certain slope of the delay-time mod suddenly sounds magic...
Old 14th April 2015 | Show parent
  #2774
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum7 ➡️
I will also be getting the P12 soon and was thinking about "strapping a verb onto the outputs" also, just to make sure I give it a fair shake. So many synths have built-in reverb that you tend to really miss it when a synth doesn't have it. I'll probably put some of my favorite 2CAudio B2 verbs on it when going in to my DAW.....although the fantastic delays on the P12 will definitely help with the absence of built-in reverb.
Yeah, I've already got an Lexicon MPX-1 that's ready to get back into the game just waiting for the Prophet 12's sweet juicy output. I've got to track down a software editor for it though, as it's one of my least favorite pieces of gear to program, even though I love the sound. Of course, I also have a lot of excellent software effects as well. My favorite reverb is Virsyn's REFLECT.
Old 14th April 2015
  #2775
Lives for gear
 
markwalkerjr's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
I actually just started really using my Prophet 12 a lot the last few months. I joined a band called MoyaMoya here in my hometown of Jacksonville, FL (ep is on Spotify). I play ambient textures, etc. and after playing the synth they had at their space I said f that and thought the 12 was a perfect fit. And it is. I have had a blast sculpting custom sounds, tweaking in real time on stage, and running it through effects like the Moog delay, eventide h9, and strymon Big Sky. So much so that I just cancelled my order for the P6. I know that is sacrilege at Gearslutz, but I've realized I have everything I want from a power synth in it and I don't need to have a second DSI to fill that spot. Now I'm still slutty, I've already respent those funds for the Parva kickstarter and some 500 series modules for my lunchbox, but I haven't been this happy with a piece of gear in some time. And I have one of the first prophet 12s. Guess I just needed to get it out there in a real world situation to appreciate its amazing capabilities.

Also, plus one for the patch morpher app on iPad. It is awesome with the 12 for quick ways to morph to new sounds.
Old 14th April 2015 | Show parent
  #2776
Deleted 0fc8128
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana ➡️
is there a forum that shares prophet12 patches? banks?
I imagine by now someone's made thousands of them,
Peter and I made a sound set. It's free here: DSI Prophet 12 - CPM SoundSet - Download › Peter M. Mahr
Old 14th April 2015
  #2777
Lives for gear
 
greenlights's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickdafunk ➡️
new Prophet 12 demo #2 : Analog & Wavetables

Drums: Linn LM1, Oberheim DMX
I like this! I love my P12! So flexible. It really can cover a lot of ground.
Old 14th April 2015 | Show parent
  #2778
Lives for gear
 
Quantum7's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 0fc8128 ➡️
Peter and I made a sound set. It's free here: DSI Prophet 12 - CPM SoundSet - Download › Peter M. Mahr
Thank you very much for such a fantastic sound set! I really enjoyed listening to all your demo tracks of the presets and I cannot wait to get my hands on the P12 soon.
Old 14th April 2015
  #2779
Lives for gear
 
Quantum7's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
OK, I just ordered the P12 keyboard a few minutes ago and hopefully should have it by the weekend. $2399 with my 20% offer which expired at midnight.....I was cutting it close, I know. Whew!!! Killer price I must say though! Very excited to get that sucker in my studio!!!

Last edited by Quantum7; 14th April 2015 at 07:12 AM..
Old 30th May 2015 | Show parent
  #2780
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing ➡️
So... I'm messing around with my Prophet 12 today. Basically taking some of my favorite MoPho patches and approximating them on the 12 (not bad, but not the same... in some ways better!) I'm using the Soundtower editors just to be able to see my patches in both very easily... and all of the sudden I come out of my usual fog and see a tab labled "Sequencer" in the Prophet 12 editor.

WUT?

I click on it and it basically says, "Don't use this feature until the next Prophet 12 OS update." HUBBAWAH? Is DSI granting my wish of a 08/MoPhoesque sequencer in the 12? Or was this something abandoned? Anyone in the know?
Don't see a Sequencer tab here...it says Arpeggiator and warns not to use on the 1.1.1 OS, but we are already past that OS version.
Old 30th May 2015
  #2781
Lives for gear
 
adydub's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
If they added a note tie function to the existing arpeggiator functionality, you'd have a perfectly serviceable monophonic sequencer. It's pretty flexible as it is already tbh.
Old 30th May 2015 | Show parent
  #2782
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing ➡️
I'm using the Prophet 12 Soundtower editor
how is it? most of the comments on the board concerning the editor are pretty old and it's possible they've ironed out the bugs... I Sure could use it if it works as advertised.
Old 30th May 2015
  #2783
Lives for gear
 
D_Davis's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
I'm still trying to figure out why someone would want to sit in front of a computer using an editor for a hardware synth that has a knob for every job.
Old 30th May 2015
  #2784
Gear Nut
 
🎧 5 years
A few Free sounds for the P12

Just a few sounds - DSI / Prophet Forum
Old 30th May 2015
  #2785
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Davis ➡️
I'm still trying to figure out why someone would want to sit in front of a computer using an editor for a hardware synth that has a knob for every job.
I'm interested for the AU plugin. parameter automation.
I also enjoy modifying presets, so knowing where things are currently at helps - I can still play with the knobs on the keyboard.
Old 30th May 2015 | Show parent
  #2786
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Davis ➡️
I'm still trying to figure out why someone would want to sit in front of a computer using an editor for a hardware synth that has a knob for every job.
I like using an editor. It's one thing to have a 1:1 feature/knob interface, which I appreciate, but it's useful to be able to see what the entire patch is doing, especially if you didn't create it... or even if you did, like the case of my MoPho patches. Calling it up in the editors do replicate is just a fast and easy way to go about it. Also, being able to see what each layer is up to is a good thing to have. I know I could have made due with the demo, but it's nice to also have the option to change it on the computer when I'm focused on it.

Frankly, I kind of feel the opposite of most people here. If they made a MoPho/Snow/Matrix1000 like version of the Prophet 12, or any other synth I'm interested in, I'd take that over a knobby interface. Saves money and space and I don't really mind editing on a computer at all. In a lot of ways I like it more.
Old 30th May 2015 | Show parent
  #2787
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mekohler ➡️
Don't see a Sequencer tab here...it says Arpeggiator and warns not to use on the 1.1.1 OS, but we are already past that OS version.
I'm not exactly sure what the hell was wrong with me, but I'm blaming it on the fact that I was rushing around to get my studio ready for a house guest and I had the MoPho editor open at the same time. Maybe a pinch of wishful thinking.
Old 30th May 2015 | Show parent
  #2788
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by adydub ➡️
If they added a note tie function to the existing arpeggiator functionality, you'd have a perfectly serviceable monophonic sequencer. It's pretty flexible as it is already tbh.

I'm mainly interested in it as a modulation source. I'm not a big arpeggiator guy. It's true I can fake it with DAW automation, but it would be nice to have it saved to a patch.
Old 30th May 2015
  #2789
Lives for gear
 
D_Davis's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
I see. For me, the last thing I want to touch when making music is a computer and a mouse. It's pretty much instance creativity killer for me.

I multi-track in a DAW for the sake of convenience in recording and editing.
Old 30th May 2015 | Show parent
  #2790
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing ➡️
I'm not exactly sure what the hell was wrong with me, but I'm blaming it on the fact that I was rushing around to get my studio ready for a house guest and I had the MoPho editor open at the same time. Maybe a pinch of wishful thinking.
You got me excited >:|
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 7548 views: 1010931
Avatar for bass2rez
bass2rez 2 minutes ago
replies: 91 views: 35653
Avatar for Roodillon
Roodillon 16th June 2015
replies: 811 views: 67463
Avatar for Sharp11
Sharp11 2 weeks ago
replies: 64 views: 2788
Avatar for zerocrossing
zerocrossing 11th March 2021
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump