Quantcast
DSI Prophet 12 - Page 91 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DSI Prophet 12
Old 29th March 2015 | Show parent
  #2701
Lives for gear
 
LiveFromKyoto's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorSouthshire ➡️
Thanks! Yeah I´m sad to say that the prophet 12 stumbled when trying to sound like a professional sax player, hence the use of one.
Really well done. And good call on the sax player.
Old 30th March 2015 | Show parent
  #2702
Lives for gear
 
donato's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickdafunk ➡️
I LOVE the Prophet 12. I made a short snippet of 100% Prophet 12:



Only used some Reverb, Compression & EQ.
Awesome!
Old 30th March 2015 | Show parent
  #2703
227861
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickdafunk ➡️
I LOVE the Prophet 12. I made a short snippet of 100% Prophet 12:



Only used some Reverb, Compression & EQ.
Awesome!

Subscribing to your stuff.


Any chance you can make that downloadable? Or if you want cash for it a donation to follow?
Old 30th March 2015
  #2704
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I'm so torn on the P12. I've though a ton of Soundcloud demos and so many seem to show this sort of lo-fi somber side of this synth. Kind of grainy. Or harsh as hell. Then I'll hear one I like and think, "Oh, that's sounds like a patch I made on my ol' Prophet 08!" This leads me to think, "oh, I'll get the module and it'll be like having a 12 voice 08 with 3 oscs per voice and a sub!" Which, is attractive to me because I regret selling my P'08.

To fund it I'd need to return my KingKORG. I love the sound of the KingKORG, but as we all know it's got issues. I won't go into them here but limited functionality and a lackluster interface are just about forgivable because of it's (IMO) top notch filters and oscs. That said, hearing the latest demos of miniSyn'X and a few other notable VA plugs makes me think, "Just do this in software silly, becides you've got some cool analog monos anyway."

Yesterday I made an offer for a P12 module. It got rejected and I'm OK with that. I made it fairly low on purpose. After pouring though a ton of P12 demos on SoundCloud I switched my search to "Blofeld" (a wavetable synth I really like the sound of) but pretty much as soon as I did that my 2 year old woke from her nap and I abandoned it. Later after she hit the crib again, I hit play using my headphone controls and continued listening to what I thought was a P12 demo and I thought, "Oh crap, this demo sounds really great!" I looked at the phone to see what it was and... whaaa whaaaaaaaaa. I listend to a few more Blofeld demos and it just sounded great to me. Open, warm, big. I have Largo and I thought that was enough of "that" for me. Maybe the Blofeld does some better? Enough to buy one? Then I listen to Serum, Codex, Mpowersynth and I think, "You jerk, you've got great sounding stuff!" Anyway, that's the G.A.S. cycle I've entered.
Old 30th March 2015 | Show parent
  #2705
Lives for gear
 
patrickdafunk's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by draven5 ➡️
Awesome!

Subscribing to your stuff.


Any chance you can make that downloadable? Or if you want cash for it a donation to follow?
thanks a lot! appreciated! i made it downloadable !


i think you should press the down arrow on the player to download
Old 30th March 2015 | Show parent
  #2706
Lives for gear
 
patrickdafunk's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing ➡️
I'm so torn on the P12. I've though a ton of Soundcloud demos and so many seem to show this sort of lo-fi somber side of this synth. Kind of grainy. Or harsh as hell.
what do you like to hear on the Prophet 12?
Old 30th March 2015 | Show parent
  #2707
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickdafunk ➡️
thanks a lot! appreciated! i made it downloadable !


i think you should press the down arrow on the player to download
Excellent!
Old 30th March 2015 | Show parent
  #2708
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickdafunk ➡️
what do you like to hear on the Prophet 12?
Actually, your demo is one of the best. I'd like to hear more wavetable stuff where the filter opens up. I know the 12 can do grainy lo-Fi, but I'd like to hear it do more "beautiful" hi-Fi. Thanks!
Old 31st March 2015 | Show parent
  #2709
Gear Addict
 
ThorSouthshire's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickdafunk ➡️
I LOVE the Prophet 12. I made a short snippet of 100% Prophet 12:



Only used some Reverb, Compression & EQ.
That´s great. Love the chords. I feel that what the prophet 12 really excels at is slowly building pads. I´ve never heard such a musical feel to the gradual attack and release in the amp and filter section in any other synth. It´s throughly organic.
Old 31st March 2015 | Show parent
  #2710
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorSouthshire ➡️
That´s great. Love the chords. I feel that what the prophet 12 really excels at is slowly building pads. I´ve never heard such a musical feel to the gradual attack and release in the amp and filter section in any other synth. It´s throughly organic.
Yeah, that is a great demo. Very rich sounding.

This is a good one too:

https://soundcloud.com/rozzer/dave-s...uments-prophet

and this:

https://soundcloud.com/elberstein/pr...emo-50-patches

I've been though pretty much every demo on Soundcloud and Youtube and here's what I've concluded. While it's not a "sweet spot" synth, it for sure has a distinct character to it. I like that character. I think the preponderance of bad demos out there stem from a new malady I'm going to call "option intoxication." Just because you've got 4 oscs (plus a sub!), 4 LFOs, 4 egs and 16 mod matrix slots does not mean you should use them all. I bet a fair amount of the demos happened before the 11 khz spike issue was dealt with as well. There are a lot of really ugly sounding Prophet 12 demos. My favorites are the ones that have a ton of delay that's being completely ignored in relation to tempo.

I'm still mulling it over... the KingKORG still sounds great to me, and covers a wide swath of sonic ground. Little overlap but I can't have both. I have to see if the KingKORG is worth it's table space in relation to software. One thing I can tell you is that I do not have a plug in that sounds anything like a Prophet 12, that's for sure!
Old 31st March 2015
  #2711
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
Wow, I havn't heard those soundclound demos before. I really like that first demo. I just love this synth! I first demoed this a year ago, but it's super pricey still trying to save up. I ended up getting a tempest instead. Which by the way the oscillator leak through even with the filter closed.
To me the prophet 12 has an instant boards of canada vibe, like robots from space recorded to dirty tape. I've never heard another synth like it. Since, that's my style I jelled with it immediately. Now I want to get a prophet 6. There's just so many cool synths these days its crazy.
Old 31st March 2015
  #2712
Lives for gear
 
xanax's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
FWIW i'm also considering a P12 module. I need a deep poly for an ambient/chill-wave type project and i think this could be the one. the lack of knobs on the P12 desktop is a little bit disappointing but I simply can't fit another keyboard..
Old 1st April 2015 | Show parent
  #2713
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by baronvonellis ➡️
To me the prophet 12 has an instant boards of canada vibe, like robots from space recorded to dirty tape.
Haha! Perfect! You couldn't have put it better.

One of my issues, though, which is while Canadian robots from space recorded in on a 1970 portable reel to reel that was left in the back of a VW in Arizona, is a vibe I dig... it's not a giant part of my world. I know, the P12 does more, but that seems to be where it really shines, at least compared to other types of sounds. When it's doing "clean digital" I can get a better sound out of any number of plug ins. When it's doing "souped up analog," I can get better with the KingKORG or, a plug in that I'm rediscovering and in love with, Oxium.

Speaking of old robots...

https://soundcloud.com/zerocrossing-...spaceonbadtape

Guess the synth!
Old 1st April 2015 | Show parent
  #2714
Lives for gear
 
synthguy's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing ➡️
Yesterday I made an offer for a P12 module. It got rejected and I'm OK with that. I made it fairly low on purpose. After pouring though a ton of P12 demos on SoundCloud I switched my search to "Blofeld" (a wavetable synth I really like the sound of) but pretty much as soon as I did that my 2 year old woke from her nap and I abandoned it. Later after she hit the crib again, I hit play using my headphone controls and continued listening to what I thought was a P12 demo and I thought, "Oh crap, this demo sounds really great!" I looked at the phone to see what it was and... whaaa whaaaaaaaaa. I listend to a few more Blofeld demos and it just sounded great to me. Open, warm, big. I have Largo and I thought that was enough of "that" for me. Maybe the Blofeld does some better? Enough to buy one? Then I listen to Serum, Codex, Mpowersynth and I think, "You jerk, you've got great sounding stuff!" Anyway, that's the G.A.S. cycle I've entered.
Just save up and get everything you want, like I intend to do. Come on, you know you want to. Just take over the livingroom, or knock down the bathroom wall for plenty of room! heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing ➡️
Speaking of old robots...

https://soundcloud.com/zerocrossing-...spaceonbadtape

Guess the synth!
Ohh... I'll take a shot in the dark and say Largo. It has some digital waveish sound going on, though I bet the KK could do this too.
Old 1st April 2015 | Show parent
  #2715
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by synthguy ➡️
Just save up and get everything you want, like I intend to do. Come on, you know you want to. Just take over the livingroom, or knock down the bathroom wall for plenty of room! heh


Ohh... I'll take a shot in the dark and say Largo. It has some digital waveish sound going on, though I bet the KK could do this too.
I love Largo, but this is the KK. Correct!
Old 1st April 2015
  #2716
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
Hahaha, nice sounds dude!
Old 1st April 2015
  #2717
Lives for gear
 
adydub's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
There's yet to be a synth that really does it all (though we edge ever closer). The P12 can't even start to match something like Diva or the King Korg for Moog-y warmth or MS20 filter filth.

It does, nonetheless, cover a lot of classic analog territory a lot better than some people seem to think. And some of stuff you can do with sweeping an oscillator between complex waveform that's AM'ing sinewave osc etc. really does sound rather lovely. All synths have their strengths and weaknesses, but there is a huge amount of flexibility in the P12 with many sides that all sound pretty damn good. And it's that flexibility combined with what's very possibly the greatest programming interface ever implemented for the amount of depth on offer that really makes the instrument. If you like getting lost in a world of sound discovery and you're ok with working towards a sound rather than getting instant gratification, the P12 really has a lot to offer.
Old 1st April 2015 | Show parent
  #2718
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by adydub ➡️
There's yet to be a synth that really does it all (though we edge ever closer). The P12 can't even start to match something like Diva or the King Korg for Moog-y warmth or MS20 filter filth.

It does, nonetheless, cover a lot of classic analog territory a lot better than some people seem to think. And some of stuff you can do with sweeping an oscillator between complex waveform that's AM'ing sinewave osc etc. really does sound rather lovely. All synths have their strengths and weaknesses, but there is a huge amount of flexibility in the P12 with many sides that all sound pretty damn good. And it's that flexibility combined with what's very possibly the greatest programming interface ever implemented for the amount of depth on offer that really makes the instrument. If you like getting lost in a world of sound discovery and you're ok with working towards a sound rather than getting instant gratification, the P12 really has a lot to offer.
Agreed. After a ton of thought, I realized that it would be too much of a hit considering my current financial situation. I've become a part time stay-at-home dad and I'm working on a book, so my wife is the sole bread winner. This means I'd have to get rid of stuff and use things like birthday/christmas gift money to pay it off. What I finally realized is that it would be totally stupid to get rid of anything I currently have to fund the Prophet 12. I don't need classic analog territory covered. I'm good there. Really good IMO. What I was hoping for was a kind of poor man's Modulus 002... and the Prophet 12 just isn't that. Even when I really like the demo track, I can hear it's character and I just don't think I can justify the expense for that character. I like it a lot, but I do not love it. And as far as getting lost in a world of sound discovery, I've got that too. Nice piece of gear though. If financial things turn around I'll revisit it again.
Old 2nd April 2015
  #2719
Lives for gear
 
synthguy's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Gee, now I feel bad about twerking you about all those synths. I hope things shape up for you this year.
Old 2nd April 2015 | Show parent
  #2720
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by synthguy ➡️
Gee, now I feel bad about twerking you about all those synths. I hope things shape up for you this year.
Oh, don't feel bad for me!!! I have a beautiful family, home in the SF Bay Area and while it's hard to justify a big hobby purchase, we have all we need, plus extra. It's true things are a bit tighter than we like financially, but that was our decision. I was freelancing but work dried up a bit and my wife suggested that instead of beating my head against the wall, I take my idea for a book and do it. Writing was the easy part, but now I'm illustrating it and that's slow going. So no pity needed. I just sparked up a soft synth, and realized how amazing what I have already is. #firstworldproblems
Old 2nd April 2015 | Show parent
  #2721
F5D
Lives for gear
 
F5D's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickdafunk ➡️
I LOVE the Prophet 12. I made a short snippet of 100% Prophet 12:



Only used some Reverb, Compression & EQ.
Thanks for posting, sounds really nice! And, congrats on the purchase! I still feel that the P12 is one of the most inspiring and organic sounding synths that I have, and so easy to use! It has its faults too, but they are very minor compared to what it can offer. I am also one of those who does not want to post dry demos with no fx. The P12 can really shine with some well chosen fx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baronvonellis ➡️
To me the prophet 12 has an instant boards of canada vibe, like robots from space recorded to dirty tape. I've never heard another synth like it. Since, that's my style I jelled with it immediately. Now I want to get a prophet 6. There's just so many cool synths these days its crazy.
Yes, the P12 is excellent for those BOC sounds. I actually found the BOC as a band just before purchasing the P12, so naturally I have been programming several BOC-sounds with the P12 and can easily use several hours just playing some of those with some added delay etc. The big mod matrix and character section of the P12 also help in getting dirty or old sounds out of it. In case you have not found it yet, you can check my P12 Canada clip that was heavily inspired by the BOC: https://soundcloud.com/f5d/f5d-prophet-12-canada
Old 6th April 2015 | Show parent
  #2722
Lives for gear
 
D_Davis's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickdafunk ➡️
I LOVE the Prophet 12. I made a short snippet of 100% Prophet 12:



Only used some Reverb, Compression & EQ.
This is great. Totally dig your style.

Made another patch example:

Old 6th April 2015 | Show parent
  #2723
Lives for gear
 
greenlights's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Wow! These demos are great! This might be what the other guys are looking to hear from the Prophet 12.
Old 6th April 2015 | Show parent
  #2724
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Davis ➡️
This is great. Totally dig your style.

Made another patch example:

Really nice patches. Funny, I'm really starting to dig the sound more and more. Reminds me of some relic of an alternate past. Where we copied alien tech for some things but couldn't figure out how to make digital fileter. We'll see... it depends on if I get any birthday money... and how much I suspect I'll miss my Analog Four...
Old 6th April 2015 | Show parent
  #2725
Lives for gear
 
synthguy's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Davis ➡️
Made another patch example:

The examples posted just on this page reveal a synthesizer which is far more than expected from the sum of its parts. I came across one really sweet demo, so I knew stuff like this was possible. But like any other synth which is a vast unexplored territory, it just takes a while to get there.

The Prophet~12 is a synth which seems to be a handful of many different instruments in one. A little bit of PPG Wave, some Polyevolver, a scoop of Eurorack modular, and some Solaris - modeled filters aside. It can do classic synth sounds and big sweeping soundscapes. Maybe not with ease, I haven't had a chance to fondle it myself, but it's all there just waiting to be found. It almost makes the Prophet~6 seem like a tiny synth. Almost.

There are a few companies which make synths that you could just use theirs and make an entire electronic album. Dave Smith puts himself way up on that list with the P12.
Old 6th April 2015 | Show parent
  #2726
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Davis ➡️
This is great. Totally dig your style.

Made another patch example:

Awesome! Thanks for sharing! The P12 is one of those synths that keeps tempting me. Maybe I'll own one some day. Space is at a premium right now, and the module isn't as hands on as I would have liked.
Old 6th April 2015
  #2727
Lives for gear
 
D_Davis's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
The more I use the P12, the more I realize that it could end up being the only synth I own.

I only wish it had the robust sequencer of the Analog Keys.
Old 6th April 2015
  #2728
Lives for gear
 
D_Davis's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Delete - double post glitch

Last edited by D_Davis; 6th April 2015 at 06:58 PM..
Old 6th April 2015 | Show parent
  #2729
Lives for gear
 
plaid_emu's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing ➡️
Oh, don't feel bad for me!!! I have a beautiful family, home in the SF Bay Area.....
That's your problem right there. Move to Ohio with the same income and you'll be able to afford a P12, 002, Schmidt, Moog modular.... and a mansion to store them in.
Old 6th April 2015 | Show parent
  #2730
Lives for gear
 
LiveFromKyoto's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Davis ➡️
This is great. Totally dig your style.

Made another patch example:

Those are some of the best patches I've heard for it. Very well done.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 7585 views: 1012834
Avatar for Antti H
Antti H 9 hours ago
replies: 91 views: 35671
Avatar for Roodillon
Roodillon 16th June 2015
replies: 811 views: 67528
Avatar for Sharp11
Sharp11 2 weeks ago
replies: 64 views: 2797
Avatar for zerocrossing
zerocrossing 11th March 2021
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump