Quantcast
DSI Prophet 12 - Page 90 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DSI Prophet 12
Old 27th February 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
These comparisons have got me thinking a bit more about what you can really do with the P12.

It is an incredibly powerful synth but it seems to be a bit misunderstood.

The oscillators are very powerful - they have AM, FM and can morph between 3 selectable shapes. They can modulate each other and you can also use them as modulators for other things.

That's just the oscillators, you can modulate anything. All this modulation craziness is really the strength of the P12.

When I first got my P12 I did a lot of Analogue type sounds but I'm now thinking of looking at it from a more adventurous angle.

This is kind of what happened when I got the 002. I started doing analogue sounds (which are really good!) but it got more interesting when I started messing around with the other waveforms.

I think the P6 will help because it'll do the classic analogue sounds. The P12 can then be free to do its own thing.
Old 27th February 2015 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlights ➑️
So ask yourself. If you could have two, what would it be: P~6 & P~12, M~002 & P~12, or M~002 & P~6?
I'm with the 002, P12 camp. Like previously mentioned, the 002 excels at analog and digital...as massive or smooth as you program it. The sequencer and Animator are truly great bonuses. Also as mentioned, the modulations that can be done with the P12 are insane. If you're into taking your music beyond the scope of the traditional, but still have it on tap for when you need it, I would suggest this route.
Old 27th February 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I'm also in the M002 and P12 camp.

That would be a killer modern combo.
Old 27th February 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
But as it stands right now, I'm perfectly happy with the Analog Keys and P12 combo. I can sequence bass and rhythm stuff on the AK, and play leads and pads with the P12. Don't really need much else.
Old 28th February 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by synthguy ➑️
Well, at least you did say "almost." But you're going to have to describe each "light year" in detail, because I'm up on all the features of the P~12.

If you want to see what I consider "light years" more advanced, I'll give you my list, and why. For starters:

Fairlight CMI IIx and III
  • Dynamic harmonic control (32 harmonics additive synthesis)
  • Waveform generation and drawing with light pen or touch pad
  • Fast Fourier Transform additive resynthesis
  • Sampling

Synclavier
  • FM and additive synthesis with up to 12 operators
  • Harmonic editing
  • Stereo sampling up to 100khz
  • Digital hard disk recording up to 16 track, 100khz
  • Up to 128 voices polyphony

Hartmann Neuron
Basically, because describing it would take a page, it's a synthesizer based on physical modeling and resynthesis using some arcane but very powerful synthesis processes. Nothing is remotely like it.

SONIC CORE Scope system
ZOMG... I really don't know where to start with this beast. A computer based modular synthesis system combined with multitrack DAW recording and a slew of good sounding digital effects, with more coming periodically from a number of companies. I suggest if you want to see a current system operating light years beyond the Obie and P~12, I provide this link. You really should check it out.

Solaris
I shouldn't have to post anything, most here should be up on this virtual semi-modular monster, and offspring of the Sonic CORE system. But for the curious or unaware, you should go here. The Soundcloud demos of it are stunning.

Modulus 002
Yet another hybrid synthesizer which should require no introduction. It's so popular and attention catching that Google would be much better than a single link, because a number of people have gone crazy for this thing. Much of the appeal comes from a panel littered with real time controls, and three oscillators running through a filter which is continually variable from 24db to as little as 6db, and sounds very good.

Arturia Origin
If you want a serious modular synthesizer for not much money, even though it's virtual, look no further. It's as modular as it gets, with separate oscillators, filters and even an envelope generator modeled on analog synthesizers. It's up to 32 note polyphonic, but even at 7 or 8 notes, you won't care because those will be some of the richest, most expressive notes you will ever hear. Combined with three 16 step sequencers that can be manipulated live and three effects processors, all controlled from a panel with 46 real time knobs a slew of buttons and a joystick. It also optionally comes with a five octave keyboard.

Kronos
Let's just look at the MOD-7 synth alone.
  • Six operator Yamaha style FM synthesis
  • Able to load any of the tens of thousands of DX7 patches
  • Variable waveforms for any operator
  • Operators can load samples to use as waveforms
  • Resonant multimode digital filters which sound quite analog
  • Fully patchable modulation system
And there are more features than that.

Look, I like the Prophet~12 and think it's a very powerful good sounding synth, even though the P'08 supercedes it in an area or two. But I guess your light years are shorter than mine, or these guys above are intergalactic.

Cool story, but I wasn't comparing the P12 to a bunch of other synths. Only to the OB-8 which you mentioned.
Old 28th February 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I guess I'd also go 002 and P12. Although if money is an object you can get a new P6 and new P12 combined for less than the price of a new 002 (assuming that $5,200 is firm).
Old 2nd March 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
It was nice to spend a couple of quality days with the P12 this past weekend. It's pretty safe to assume that I am in love with this thing. I made a few really nice sounding patches, patches that breath and move, and sound really interesting. After making them and loving thing, I notice that I hadn't even touched any of the LFOs! By just modulating and cross modulating the oscillators I was able to make complex, moving patches. A subtle bit of FM sounds incredible, as the effect on the sound changes across the key board with different pitches.

This really is a life-time synth. I can tell this thing is going to continue to surprise me for many, many years.
Old 2nd March 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Davis ➑️
It was nice to spend a couple of quality days with the P12 this past weekend. It's pretty safe to assume that I am in love with this thing. I made a few really nice sounding patches, patches that breath and move, and sound really interesting. After making them and loving thing, I notice that I hadn't even touched any of the LFOs! By just modulating and cross modulating the oscillators I was able to make complex, moving patches. A subtle bit of FM sounds incredible, as the effect on the sound changes across the key board with different pitches.

This really is a life-time synth. I can tell this thing is going to continue to surprise me for many, many years.
awesome! any chance in recording a few of your patches / only? for some demo's? thanks!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickdafunk ➑️
awesome! any chance in recording a few of your patches / only? for some demo's? thanks!
Yeah. I'm going to do a patch recording soon, after I get a few more.

Probably sometime next weekend.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Yeah. I'm going to do a patch recording soon, after I get a few more.

Probably sometime next weekend.
sweet!

Still gassing for the P12 but also the P6. Have a P08. I played the P12 a few times, loved it. But I want to play the P6 too first and then decide.
Old 2nd March 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Would someone mind explaining to me what DC offset is, and how it is used to modulate on the P12?

It's one concept I've never really grasped.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Would someone mind explaining to me what DC offset is, and how it is used to modulate on the P12?

It's one concept I've never really grasped.
I asked the same thing over on the DSI forum regarding the Pro 2 - here's what I learned:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheDog
wrote: DC allows you to add or subtract a value from the destination.

As an example take a basic patch and go to the mod matrix, set source to DC and dest to Osc All Freq. Now while you play a key increase the amount of the modulation and listen to the result.

It is useful for moving things outside of their normal ranges

Imagine everything is Volts, with a DC voltage we have a constant voltage.

Now lets imagine our keyboard is producing voltages to control our voltage control oscillators. In my example above we are adding our DC voltage to the keyboard generated voltage before passing the combined voltage to the oscillators.

Dsi could have easily called it "Offset".
Old 2nd March 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Good explanation, thank you.
Old 2nd March 2015
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
If you're north of Toronto and want to try one out, I have one at the Long and McQuade in Markham set up and good to go. Current price is $3650 (yay Canadian dollar)
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I just sold my Andy to fund a P12. I tried the P12 and loved it; it was way more fun to program then the Andy which I never quite got along with.. Bring on the P12!
Old 2nd March 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Sold my Polysix to fund a P12...! Really don't care anymore about those vintage synth's tbh. Never understood the hype at all. wanted to sell it for 650 tops but sold it for 1200 LOL

actually feel little bit guilty!!!

(bought polysix for 400 few years ago) im so glad there are so many modern poly;s and new ones coming too which are way way way more reliable and advanced and sound better imo.
Old 3rd March 2015 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by genetic92 ➑️
Sold my Polysix to fund a P12...! Really don't care anymore about those vintage synth's tbh. Never understood the hype at all. wanted to sell it for 650 tops but sold it for 1200 LOL

actually feel little bit guilty!!!

(bought polysix for 400 few years ago) im so glad there are so many modern poly;s and new ones coming too which are way way way more reliable and advanced and sound better imo.
There is a Polysix up for US $1,800.
Old 3rd March 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristiab ➑️
I just sold my Andy to fund a P12. I tried the P12 and loved it; it was way more fun to program then the Andy which I never quite got along with.. Bring on the P12!
The A6 looks like someone swallowed a bunch of knobs and buttons and then threw them up on the synth.

Can't stand the way everything is laid out on that thing. Seems like an absolute nightmare to program.

Sounds good, though.
Old 5th March 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years

https://soundcloud.com/davisjdaniel/prophet-12-patches

A dozen or so patches on the Prophet 12. About half are built from the INIT patch, and the other half are modified presets. All single patches or layered. No splits, no overdubs. A few patches of a bit of Boss RC-20 for some added delay and reverb.
Old 5th March 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

https://soundcloud.com/davisjdaniel/prophet-12-patches

A dozen or so patches on the Prophet 12. About half are built from the INIT patch, and the other half are modified presets. All single patches or layered. No splits, no overdubs. A few patches of a bit of Boss RC-20 for some added delay and reverb.

Wow. Super impressive. Thanks! More please.
Old 5th March 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by donato ➑️
Wow. Super impressive. Thanks! More please.
Thanks. There will be more, because this is basically all I'm doing right now.
Old 5th March 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Really enjoyed your patches, D_Davis. Thanks for sharing!
Old 8th March 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by raffor ➑️
Thanks for the kind words.
Soooo, I JUST ORDERED A PROPHET 12.

thanks again for your insights, just read your comments again on the P12. Already knew I wanted it, but this was again very nice to read.
Old 9th March 2015 | Show parent
Deleted 0fc8128
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickdafunk ➑️
Soooo, I JUST ORDERED A PROPHET 12.

thanks again for your insights, just read your comments again on the P12. Already knew I wanted it, but this was again very nice to read.
Congrats.

Let us know how you like it!!
Old 25th March 2015
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Well I finally released the song I posted as a prophet 12 demo in here a year ago or so. A lot has happened with it since then. Such as it becoming an almost seven minute long epic!

https://soundcloud.com/nellyscrush/racer

All synths are still the Prophet 12 though.
Old 25th March 2015 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorSouthshire ➑️
Well I finally released the song I posted as a prophet 12 demo in here a year ago or so. A lot has happened with it since then. Such as it becoming an almost seven minute long epic!

That was awesome! For some reason I was thinking the saxaphone was the P12 at first.
Old 25th March 2015
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Thanks! Yeah IΒ΄m sad to say that the prophet 12 stumbled when trying to sound like a professional sax player, hence the use of one.
Old 25th March 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorSouthshire ➑️

This is awesome! Thanks for sharing!
Old 25th March 2015
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Thanks!
Old 29th March 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by raffor ➑️
Congrats.

Let us know how you like it!!
I LOVE the Prophet 12. I made a short snippet of 100% Prophet 12:

Only used some Reverb, Compression & EQ.
πŸ“ Reply