Quantcast
DSI Prophet 12 - Page 9 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DSI Prophet 12
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I am assuming this is real analog vs a VA. Does anyone know? Either way this is sexy as hell. I want!
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Oscillators are digital.
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Kudos to Dave Smith, don't know about you people, but I loved it. Maybe I should use the tour pay to buy one of these
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee ➑️
It's VA.
Eh, hybrid. As hybrid as a PPG or ESQ-1 is; the filters are analog. VA would be a fully digital signal path.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTByrd ➑️
I know, right? I don't know why DSI is so averse to allowing users to upload their own waveforms...
Where do they say "no, not gonna happen, ever?"

Theoretically it should not be much of a problem; if the OS resides in flash memory that can stand a number of writes, it's possible. Still - few people roll their own wavetables.
Gear Guru

I dont think it will be as good as Sylenth...
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTByrd ➑️
I know, right? I don't know why DSI is so averse to allowing users to upload their own waveforms... especially on something like the Tempest (COME ON!). Aftermarket waveforms on hybrid synths is where a lot of the the action is. Switching between ROMs on a Piston Honda is like getting a whole new synth, and using the Sunsyn as a grungy ghetto sampler is loads of fun.
a simple USB connection is all it'd take too, plus they already have USB connection for the tetra/mopho editors so it can't be that hard for them

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee ➑️
It's VA.
it's not VA, it's wavetable with analog signal path, big difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl ➑️
trolllllllll

still, comparing it to a Virus TI would make sense sort of

best comparison would be to a Waldorf Q+

too bad the Stormberg was left in the air
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
<Flame suit on>
It looks amazing on paper and I thought it would floor me but I'm honestly really not that impressed with the sound of the 2 demos.
So far I actually prefer the sound of the MI Ambika which has more character in my opinion - although the interface is incomparable obviously.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Hard to get exited about this when I'm still waiting for the Tempest to be feature complete.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Lysander - have you listened through headphones or decent speakers to the demos?
FFS - this thing sounds very sweet indeed! Better than most I have heard in recent years, for sure. Even wondering if its Dave's best ever and I've not even played with it!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer ➑️
You know what I like about this shot (besides the booze on the T8, that is)?

The Minimoog in the background.

I like to think that it's put there as a reminder:

- instruments that are portable, affordable, and a joy to operate have the power to revolutionize things
- you're never the only one who can come up with such an instrument, so watch the competition

Of course, I could be full of crap. But I like the idea.
The Minimoog is what got Dave started, making accessories for it
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Based on the demos, I think the Prophet 08 sounds beefier and smoother. I Hope to see more demos on this though. I've been waiting to see what was going to be released to determine if I would get the 08. I have a little more time to check this out.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Why wont waldorf release a big knobby synth :(
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Stromberg in 2020 Soon eh?
BM0
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmicide ➑️
best comparison would be to a Waldorf Q+
That is what it seems like. Q has wave samples and VA, right? I had a Micro Q years ago but I can't remember for certain about the waves.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Who needs 'beefy'? One synth in you arsenal needs to do 'beefy', and the others need to fit into the mix without fighting with each other. This appears to be one of those rare gems, I think.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM0 ➑️
That is what it seems like. Q has wave samples and VA, right? I had a Micro Q years ago but I can't remember for certain about the waves.
It has two sets of wavetables, though Q+ had only analog LP's (12 / 24 db)

Anyway, I think Dave Smith delivered. I should save more... (torn between P'12 or P08+ rack polychain) both sound very good to me.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years

first listen on macbook pro speakers: i'm intrigued
upon listening to matia's demo on studio monitors: a bit blown away

i can easily see how this fits in what i've got going on over here.

i do wish it had the sequencers- i use them a lot w/prophet 08 not only routing them to pitch, but in the mod matrix routing them to various other places... nevertheless,

well done, dsi.

Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
It looks very promising. I just have one thing bothering me which is the fact that you have to press the appropriate osc switch on the oscillator section to control, well, the appropriate osc. But doing so back and forth won't it be kind of messy having to rotate those knobs again and again when you switch to other oscs with different parameters? Not like the prohet 8 for example where those 2 oscillators are there for instant tweaking and you get to visualize their settings right there and then and thus "know" just by looking at the panel what each osc is doing. I feel that the potentiometers in the prophet 12 osc section will be kind of a nuisance. Just wanted to know if someone else felt that or am I just being to "picky".
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
On one hand I'd love to see a proper analog poly but then again if I want that, I can always get an SE Omega or Code 8, as that's an 8 voice VCO synth done right, although the envelopes need work. And you can see where that thing is priced if you want 8 quality VCOs.

On the other hand, I love my Korg Ex-8000 and would love to see that concept revised and evolved which is what this looks like. I also have an E340 in my eurorack which I love so I see no problem with using digital oscillators.

I hold all my judgement until I play one.

Regards,
Frank
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzpepper ➑️
It looks very promising. I just have one thing bothering me which is the fact that you have to press the appropriate osc switch on the oscillator section to control, well, the appropriate osc. But doing so back and forth won't it be kind of messy having to rotate those knobs again and again when you switch to other oscs with different parameters? Not like the prohet 8 for example where those 2 oscillators are there for instant tweaking and you get to visualize their settings right there and then and thus "know" just by looking at the panel what each osc is doing. I feel that the potentiometers in the prophet 12 osc section will be kind of a nuisance. Just wanted to know if someone else felt that or am I just being to "picky".
Looks like they are using endless encoders for some of the knobs (pitch, fine and shape). Plus it looks like you might be able to edit osc parameters with the 4 knobs about the LCD (which I'm assuming are also endless encoders).

Although one thing I find odd is it looks like they are using a pot for the LFO amount... which could cause the above issues with tweaking LFOs.
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apprendista ➑️
Wow, Waldorf just got boi'd. That thing is a monster. Of course I'll never be able to justify the expense of one...
Wait a bit! In less than one year weΒ΄ll see smaller and rack versions of the new DSI engine. The bad thing: This is a great synth - so waiting for the smaller versions will be hard.

Dave did it again. Wow!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider ➑️
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I love it. I wonder if they are using shark processors for the OSC's.?.? I also wonder how much room it has for new features/expand ability... Like if they could (via software updates) offer things like user sample upload with granular or additive synthesis type engines. But as is I think it sounds great!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
From the video with Dave Smith playing, it's got a very 80s vibe. Finally!
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl ➑️
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroZon ➑️
From the video with Dave Smith playing, it's got a very 80s vibe. Finally!
Agreed. As a huge fan of synth heavy 80s horror movies, some of these demos have me very excited.
Deleted 0fc8128
Quote:
Originally Posted by matia ➑️
some of the other patches i have programmed definitely have more of that character. honestly youtube does something weird with the top end.

you have an air control for boosting high's and when you use the decimate and hack controls ALL of the artifacting that you want to hear is there ... it's something i was really keen on having with the P12 to be able to go from smooth to gritty and it has it ... it is generally a darker synth but the grit is possible it's just down to the programming.
12 voices are nice, no questions. You also did not much layering or unison, only saw two sound in layer and one in unison. It sounded pretty nice just with single voice.

I liked how you cycled the oscillators. However, I did not get the same vibe from the sounds as I do with the PPG. The pulsating, the rhythmic, the magical life these sounds have. It sounded fairly static, things I can do with the Origin.

But like you said, you haven't touched all aspects of the synths and there are more features to emphasize on the artifacts of the oscillators. I am looking forward playing with one once they hit the stores. I personally would not buy one just on the two demos I have heard so far. Also, if it is the same filter like in the P08 I have the fear that I will loose interest in the synth as I did with the evolver. CEM was never my thing to be honest.
πŸ“ Reply