DSI Prophet 12 - Page 89 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DSI Prophet 12
Old 26th February 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothing Sound ➡️
Yeah I saw your post after my post, sall gooood Love that album to death.

...But Steve Roach is known for using loads of post processing, my guess is he could do miracles with a thing like this and his FX chain:

No worries! And yes, you're right.
Old 26th February 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I traded my Minimoog model D for a microkorg. Hated the sound and full size keys + only one note (lol). No regrets!
Old 26th February 2015 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickdafunk ➡️
I traded my Minimoog model D for a microkorg. Hated the sound and full size keys + only one note (lol). No regrets!
good one, bro!! lololololololol
Old 26th February 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
A little something I recorded last night.

Prophet 12, Analog Keys, and ESQ-1, recorded live, one trake, 6 stereo tracks into Reaper.

Old 27th February 2015
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
This was a awesome Track..Thanks for sharing..Very Mellow..I enjoyed it...
Old 27th February 2015 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Davis ➡️

Prophet 12, Analog Keys, and ESQ-1, recorded live, one trake, 6 stereo tracks into Reaper.

Dude. I love this! I've been jammin out to it on the drums. more?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jilsk ➡️
Dude. I love this! I've been jammin out to it on the drums. more?
Thanks, all.

Do I have more? Yeah - tons. Like 30 albums (not all available right now). Although nothing else with the P12 at the moment.

https://carlsagansghost.bandcamp.com/
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Thanks, all.

Do I have more? Yeah - tons. Like 30 albums (not all available right now). Although nothing else with the P12 at the moment.

https://carlsagansghost.bandcamp.com/
Cool. I'll check your bandcamp. Thanks.
Old 27th February 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I was just making sure that you had more ambient stuff (no drums).. i like your style.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Very nice man!!! What's doing what in this here?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I was just making sure that you had more ambient stuff (no drums).. i like your style.
Thanks. It's all ambient.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlights ➡️
Very nice man!!! What's doing what in this here?
Thanks. The main bass and rhythm part and one of the arps is sequenced on the AK. The main dark pad is ESQ1 through the Bigsky. The grittier pad and main filtered arp is the P12. The P12 is featured by itself during the first break down and the end.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:

I really enjoyed this
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Sounds good!
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Thanks. It's all ambient.
I listened to your bandcamp stuff. You do some awesome work.. that last song on there is just bootyful, man

I really want to hear what else you come up with using the P12!
Old 27th February 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks so much. I think I'm going to get along really well with the P12. That's why I chose it. I think it fits my style more than a traditional analog synth.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Thanks so much. I think I'm going to get along really well with the P12. That's why I chose it. I think it fits my style more than a traditional analog synth.
Btw.. what's up with that Fresno picture on your bandcamp page are you from there?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by donato ➡️
In anycase, it certainly is, "light years more advanced" in possibilities. I think that much is almost indisputable.
Well, at least you did say "almost." But you're going to have to describe each "light year" in detail, because I'm up on all the features of the P~12.

If you want to see what I consider "light years" more advanced, I'll give you my list, and why. For starters:

Fairlight CMI IIx and III
  • Dynamic harmonic control (32 harmonics additive synthesis)
  • Waveform generation and drawing with light pen or touch pad
  • Fast Fourier Transform additive resynthesis
  • Sampling

Synclavier
  • FM and additive synthesis with up to 12 operators
  • Harmonic editing
  • Stereo sampling up to 100khz
  • Digital hard disk recording up to 16 track, 100khz
  • Up to 128 voices polyphony

Hartmann Neuron
Basically, because describing it would take a page, it's a synthesizer based on physical modeling and resynthesis using some arcane but very powerful synthesis processes. Nothing is remotely like it.

SONIC CORE Scope system
ZOMG... I really don't know where to start with this beast. A computer based modular synthesis system combined with multitrack DAW recording and a slew of good sounding digital effects, with more coming periodically from a number of companies. I suggest if you want to see a current system operating light years beyond the Obie and P~12, I provide this link. You really should check it out.

Solaris
I shouldn't have to post anything, most here should be up on this virtual semi-modular monster, and offspring of the Sonic CORE system. But for the curious or unaware, you should go here. The Soundcloud demos of it are stunning.

Modulus 002
Yet another hybrid synthesizer which should require no introduction. It's so popular and attention catching that Google would be much better than a single link, because a number of people have gone crazy for this thing. Much of the appeal comes from a panel littered with real time controls, and three oscillators running through a filter which is continually variable from 24db to as little as 6db, and sounds very good.

Arturia Origin
If you want a serious modular synthesizer for not much money, even though it's virtual, look no further. It's as modular as it gets, with separate oscillators, filters and even an envelope generator modeled on analog synthesizers. It's up to 32 note polyphonic, but even at 7 or 8 notes, you won't care because those will be some of the richest, most expressive notes you will ever hear. Combined with three 16 step sequencers that can be manipulated live and three effects processors, all controlled from a panel with 46 real time knobs a slew of buttons and a joystick. It also optionally comes with a five octave keyboard.

Kronos
Let's just look at the MOD-7 synth alone.
  • Six operator Yamaha style FM synthesis
  • Able to load any of the tens of thousands of DX7 patches
  • Variable waveforms for any operator
  • Operators can load samples to use as waveforms
  • Resonant multimode digital filters which sound quite analog
  • Fully patchable modulation system
And there are more features than that.

Look, I like the Prophet~12 and think it's a very powerful good sounding synth, even though the P'08 supercedes it in an area or two. But I guess your light years are shorter than mine, or these guys above are intergalactic.

Last edited by synthguy; 27th February 2015 at 05:42 AM..
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Btw.. what's up with that Fresno picture on your bandcamp page are you from there?
Haha. Yeah I am. I took that picture a couple years ago. In Seattle now. I like taking pictures of Fresno.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by synthguy ➡️
Well, at least you did say "almost." But you're going to have to describe each "light year" in detail, because I'm up on all the features of the P~12
Modulus 002
Yet another hybrid synthesizer which should require no introduction. It's so popular and attention catching that Google would be much better than a single link, because a number of people have gone crazy for this thing. Much of the appeal comes from a panel littered with real time controls, and three oscillators running through a filter which is continually variable from 24db to as little as 6db, and sounds very good?
If the Modulus 002 is "light years more advanced", then so is the P12, which has more dynamic oscillators, two filters, more powerful modulation capabilities, tuned feedback and multiple delay lines per voice (the OB8 is less capable on all those counts as well). The Mod sounds very nice, but other than the fact that it uses NCOs there's nothing about its sound engine that's more remarkable than the P12. This is a stupid argument, though.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
[*]Operators can load samples to use as waveforms
Almost. Operators cannot use samples themselves, but you can use one multisample to modulate operators or to just mix in as another sound source. (Actually, you can choose different multisamples for each of four velocity levels.) Operators can have four basic waveforms, but there is also waveshaping and ring modulation for lots more variation. MOD-7 is a pretty cool synth.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
So ask yourself. If you could have two, what would it be: P~6 & P~12, M~002 & P~12, or M~002 & P~6?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
So ask yourself. If you could have two, what would it be: P~6 & P~12, M~002 & P~12, or M~002 & P~6?
M~002 and P~12.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Haha. Yeah I am. I took that picture a couple years ago. In Seattle now. I like taking pictures of Fresno.
Crazy. I live in Fresno.. i thought i was trippin out when i saw that intersection! I have a good friend who just moved to Seattle and my room mate is moving there in a couple weeks. I may find my way out there too, some day
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Really?? I think with the P6 and Modulus you'll be covered. The Modulus could probably take over P12's duties. Agree?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I still haven't heard the Modulus get dark. I think the P6 will be my new dark synth, based on the demos I've heard. I need something to replace the dark Virus sound I once had.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Really?? I think with the P6 and Modulus you'll be covered. The Modulus could probably take over P12's duties. Agree?
I think that the Modulus would actually take over P6 duties. Though it's a really neat synth and I'm really glad that DSI is manufacturing it, I haven't really heard anything from the P6 which had blown me away yet, plus the modulation options are a bit slim. The Mod 002 seems well suited at doing both typical analog sounds plus digital/hybrid sounds, which is where it really shines, and it has a modulation sequencer and two LFO's per voice, one of which can be set to 1-shot mode and used as an envelope of sorts. I don't hear much overlap in regards to the P12 and Mod 002 either, they seem like very different synths to me in terms of timbre and modulation capabilities.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Well, at least you did say "almost." But you're going to have to describe each "light year" in detail, because I'm up on all the features of the P~12.

If you want to see what I consider "light years" more advanced, I'll give you my list, and why. For starters:

Fairlight CMI IIx and III
  • Dynamic harmonic control (32 harmonics additive synthesis)
  • Waveform generation and drawing with light pen or touch pad
  • Fast Fourier Transform additive resynthesis
  • Sampling

Synclavier
  • FM and additive synthesis with up to 12 operators
  • Harmonic editing
  • Stereo sampling up to 100khz
  • Digital hard disk recording up to 16 track, 100khz
  • Up to 128 voices polyphony

Hartmann Neuron
Basically, because describing it would take a page, it's a synthesizer based on physical modeling and resynthesis using some arcane but very powerful synthesis processes. Nothing is remotely like it.

SONIC CORE Scope system
ZOMG... I really don't know where to start with this beast. A computer based modular synthesis system combined with multitrack DAW recording and a slew of good sounding digital effects, with more coming periodically from a number of companies. I suggest if you want to see a current system operating light years beyond the Obie and P~12, I provide this link. You really should check it out.

Solaris
I shouldn't have to post anything, most here should be up on this virtual semi-modular monster, and offspring of the Sonic CORE system. But for the curious or unaware, you should go here. The Soundcloud demos of it are stunning.

Modulus 002
Yet another hybrid synthesizer which should require no introduction. It's so popular and attention catching that Google would be much better than a single link, because a number of people have gone crazy for this thing. Much of the appeal comes from a panel littered with real time controls, and three oscillators running through a filter which is continually variable from 24db to as little as 6db, and sounds very good.

Arturia Origin
If you want a serious modular synthesizer for not much money, even though it's virtual, look no further. It's as modular as it gets, with separate oscillators, filters and even an envelope generator modeled on analog synthesizers. It's up to 32 note polyphonic, but even at 7 or 8 notes, you won't care because those will be some of the richest, most expressive notes you will ever hear. Combined with three 16 step sequencers that can be manipulated live and three effects processors, all controlled from a panel with 46 real time knobs a slew of buttons and a joystick. It also optionally comes with a five octave keyboard.

Kronos
  • Six operator Yamaha style FM synthesis
  • Able to load any of the tens of thousands of DX7 patches
  • Variable waveforms for any operator
  • Operators can load samples to use as waveforms
  • Resonant multimode digital filters which sound quite analog
  • Fully patchable modulation system
And there are more features than that.

Look, I like the Prophet~12 and think it's a very powerful good sounding synth, even though the P'08 supercedes it in an area or two. But I guess your light years are shorter than mine, or these guys above are intergalactic.
Interesting. But your list is missing the Nord Modular G2.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Pro6 (VCOs thru SSM LPF) and P12 (digital waves thru Curtis LPF with feedback, delays, and extensive modulation). They're probably the two least similar synths DSI makes; the HPF is just about the only thing they have in common.

The Mod 002 has no appeal for me. For $5200 I expect some form of wavesweeping and a real modulation matrix, both of which I get from the P12 at about half the price. The NCOs are nice but they need to do more with them.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsFromTheSky ➡️
If the Modulus 002 is "light years more advanced", then so is the P12, which has more dynamic oscillators, two filters, more powerful modulation capabilities, tuned feedback and multiple delay lines per voice (the OB8 is less capable on all those counts as well).
I went back to look at the Modulus, and found that I'd over-remembered how powerful it was, but I think you're overstating the P~12 a bit.

Prophet~12 (standout features)
  • Four high resolution digital oscillators plus a sub oscillator (sinewave), with four classic analog style waveshapes and twelve digital waveshapes, as well as white, pink and violet noise
  • Two Curtis design filters per voice: selectable 12db and 24db resonant lowpass filters and a resonant 12db highpass
  • Four-tap syncable multi delay with feedback and amount per delay per voice
  • Four Delay + ADSR envelopes (LPF, VCA , and two Auxiliary envelopes), auxiliary envelopes 3 and 4 are freely assignable to multiple modulation destinations, and all envelopes can repeat/loop
  • Four syncable LFO’s with phase offset and slew per LFO
  • 16 x 2 modulation matrix with 26 mod sources and 97 mod destinations
  • Sophisticated programmable arpeggiator with up, down, up+down, random, assign modes, and arpeggios are editable and saveable

Modulus 002
  • Two oscillators per voice with two sub oscillators, which can be switched from being either traditional square wave to having the same waveform as the main oscillator – in effect making four oscillators per voice.
  • Analogue / digital hybrid architecture uses NCOs for very high resolution, and very stable oscillators. Over 50 different waveforms, ranging from classic analogue sounds to more unique digital shapes.
  • Modal Electronics designed 24dB per octave four pole transistor ladder filter, with some very unusual morphing characteristics or ‘polesweeping’, enabling transition from four pole through bandpass to one pole 6db per octave, or anywhere in between.
  • Extensive modulation options, all accessed directly from the front panel – no menu options!
  • A very highly featured arpeggiator with a wide range of different modes, including ‘hold’ mode, enabling arpeggiator-based sequences to be created.
  • 002 features a range of sequencing options – a built in 12 Track, 12 row, 32 step sequencer with 16 dedicated step time editing knobs on the front panel and MIDI sync capabilities. Sequences can also be transposed dynamically while running.
  • The Modal Electronics Animator, which enables any control parameter on the 002 to be sequenced, enabling very complex filter transisitions, wave form changes and modulation matrix changes to be sequenced.
So... I don't know. To me, the Modulus seems to be a few orbits ahead, but for $5000-plus, it had better be.

Quote:
Probably the Prophet~6 and Modulus. I really would like a slice of that classic Prophet sound, and the P~6 delivers on that. And as I stated above, the Modulus architecture is pretty darn incredible...

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickdafunk ➡️
Interesting. But your list is missing the Nord Modular G2.
That is very true, my apologies to Nord for that omission.
📝 Reply