Quantcast
DSI Prophet 12 - Page 84 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DSI Prophet 12
Old 19th September 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
You can get quality bass out of the P12. The problem is the 4pole filter. Switching it to 2pole gives a little umph, but not a whole lot.
Old 19th September 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Use the highpass filter. low freq, high res, key amount 10 o' clock
Old 19th September 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
What about nasty 4 or 5 Osc FM patches for SFX? Any P12 owners here into modular style SFX patch creation? If the oscs were 100% analog I wouldn't think twice about buying it. Since they are digital I need to know how far you can push them.
Old 20th September 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
The modulation possibilities with 4 delays, tuned feedback, programable arpeggiator, bitcurshing effects and inverted filters makes for some far out SFX. Add the FM Osc to that as well and audio out as a modulation source you can really push things.
Old 20th September 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Buddha ➑️
No. Far from it. It has a fairly distinctive sound that is not going to work for everything, and it hasn't exactly got a very powerful sound for basses and leads, so I'd definitely want a few other things too. The P12 is a decent pad and polysynth if you're after that particular sound.
P12 basses and leads are excellent...leads especially surprised me.
Old 20th September 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Could you all just post pictures of your beloved Prophet 12? My gas tank needs some filling! But I don't have any money at the moment. :(
Old 20th September 2014
F5D
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Maybe not the best possible shots, because I have most of my gear disconnected after moving to a new place, but I use Prophet 12 quite often. It sits right in front of me on my desk. It is a beautiful synth to look at with all the knobs and wood. And it sounds at least as good as it looks.

Old 20th September 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Great F5D!!! Looks so great. I loved your demos too btw thanks for making them!
Old 22nd September 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorSouthshire ➑️
The modulation possibilities with 4 delays, tuned feedback, programable arpeggiator, bitcurshing effects and inverted filters makes for some far out SFX. Add the FM Osc to that as well and audio out as a modulation source you can really push things.
You mentioned the 4 delays - can for example a delay rate or depth be modulated by an Osc and/or LFO? That would be very cool.

I have some digital VA synths where if you do 2-Osc FM it sounds great but as soon as you try 3 or 4 Osc FM (in series) it sort of fizzles out, while trying the same type of FX patch with a real analog modular would knock your socks off
Old 23rd September 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Delay amount and time can be modulated by more or less anything.
Old 23rd September 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I moved my Prophet 12 out of my main studio and into my office for easier access. I am building a small studio around it, as seen below:

(Equipment list: Prophet 12, Moog Sub 37, SEM PRO, Moog Minitaur, Grendel Drone Commander, Rucci Maximal Drone, Circuit Bent Casio VL-1, Eventide Eclipse, Lexicon PCM92, MoogerFoogers (Ring Modulator, Phaser, Super Delay), Eventide Space, Strymon BigSky, Strymon El Capistan, Electro-Harmonix Ring Thing, RME Fireface UFX, Apogee Big Ben, Apogee AD16X, SynthDriver, Edirol UM-880, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Focusrite Octapre MKII Dynamic, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, PSI A21-M monitors) (Notice the missing MoogerFooger - my MF-104M-SD is being repaired by Moog.)

I've posted this song before, but not in the this thread - so here is the Soundcloud link for posterity's sake:

The Truly Great Worlds are Within (Prophet 12)

Old 23rd September 2014
Deleted ca98332
How systemic are mysterious 11k spikes for P12 owners? I'm very tempted by a rack version by I'm scared away by this potential issue.
Old 23rd September 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemosit ➑️
I moved my Prophet 12 out of my main studio and into my office for easier access. I am building a small studio around it, as seen below:

(Equipment list: Prophet 12, Moog Sub 37, SEM PRO, Moog Minitaur, Grendel Drone Commander, Rucci Maximal Drone, Circuit Bent Casio VL-1, Eventide Eclipse, Lexicon PCM92, MoogerFoogers (Ring Modulator, Phaser, Super Delay), Eventide Space, Strymon BigSky, Strymon El Capistan, Electro-Harmonix Ring Thing, RME Fireface UFX, Apogee Big Ben, Apogee AD16X, SynthDriver, Edirol UM-880, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Focusrite Octapre MKII Dynamic, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, PSI A21-M monitors) (Notice the missing MoogerFooger - my MF-104M-SD is being repaired by Moog.)

I've posted this song before, but not in the this thread - so here is the Soundcloud link for posterity's sake:

The Truly Great Worlds are Within (Prophet 12)

So awesome. I love love love the wood from the P12 & Sub37. What a match! Looks so incredible. Must be a very inspiring place you have there!
Old 23rd September 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
So has anyone picked up the Soundtower plug yet? I'm interested in buying but would like to hear some opinions first. Dave Smith Instruments - Prophet 12
Old 25th September 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorSouthshire ➑️
Delay amount and time can be modulated by more or less anything.
WOW I just checked the manual, Delay 1-4 Amount, Time, Feedback and Pan are all modulation destinations. That's crazy!!
Old 25th September 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Going crazy on the delay feedback and moving a really short delay time up and down to play melodic lines is so much fun.
Old 26th September 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Listening to the Gone Girl score... T Rez has gone to town with the P12
Old 7th October 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Here's another fun song I created using the Prophet 12.
  • The main melody during the first half is actually a Korg MS2000.
  • Prophet VS string pad during the first half.
  • The second half is all Prophet 12.
  • I primarily used an Eventide Eclipse for effects.
  • The bass line is a Moog Minitaur.
  • Drums created in Reason.
  • Voices are Ray Kurzweil, John G. Bennett, George W. Bush, and an anonymous French female.

Link to Soundcloud:

Do Not Dream of the Future

Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted ca98332 ➑️
How systemic are mysterious 11k spikes for P12 owners? I'm very tempted by a rack version by I'm scared away by this potential issue.
me too on this, i was just reading on the DSI forum about people replacing main boards to fix the issue. but what %age of units are impacted, is this a wide spread issue or isolated? I defo want a p12 and envisioned myself going to the store with a laptop and portable audio interface and testing a p12 for the spike before buying it. at USD3k, you can afford to be a little paranoid.
Deleted b598644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissed ➑️
You can get quality bass out of the P12. The problem is the 4pole filter. Switching it to 2pole gives a little umph, but not a whole lot.
how the hell can someone NOT get bass out of a proper synth?
Old 7th October 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
You definitely can get some nice subs out of the P12. Maybe they're going for a different sort of sound?
Old 8th October 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted b598644 ➑️
how the hell can someone NOT get bass out of a proper synth?
I'm not sure, you'd have to ask them. My response was to the guy on the previous page saying you can't get decent leads or bass from the P12. I haven't had problems creating either on mine.
Deleted ca98332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steam Shield ➑️
me too on this, i was just reading on the DSI forum about people replacing main boards to fix the issue. but what %age of units are impacted, is this a wide spread issue or isolated? I defo want a p12 and envisioned myself going to the store with a laptop and portable audio interface and testing a p12 for the spike before buying it. at USD3k, you can afford to be a little paranoid.
I never got a response on this thread so I assume it wasn't a common issue. I talked with my Sweetwater guy for a bit and he assured me they haven't seen this and only had to replace one unit, and not for this issue.

So I bought one, arrived yesterday but haven't had a chance to play yet. I'm optimistic that it won't be a problem.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan2000 ➑️
I never got a response on this thread so I assume it wasn't a common issue. I talked with my Sweetwater guy for a bit and he assured me they haven't seen this and only had to replace one unit, and not for this issue.

So I bought one, arrived yesterday but haven't had a chance to play yet. I'm optimistic that it won't be a problem.
yes way to pull the trigger and make it official! it sounds like the 11khz spike issue is isolated - at least it's not wide spread at all from what i've seen. either way you got a brand new p12 under warranty, can't go wrong with that.
Old 13th October 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I lately made a different cover of Dandy Warhols' "We used to be friends" using only the prophet 12 and an eventide h9 ultrabeat for the drums. Also did some singing.

https://soundcloud.com/fortboyardban...-warhols-cover
Old 2nd November 2014
Deleted ca98332
I'm quite happy with the Pro12, made an ambient record within the first month of owning it:

https://duffegan.bandcamp.com/track/the-harvest

All recordings are from the Pro12. I found it to be very inspiring and inviting, went deep with it for two weekend sessions and felt right at home. Very happy with it.

Only question I have is that manual filter sweeps can be a bit "jumpy" and "glitchy" when I have more than 2-3 mod sources on the HPF cutoff. I'm not an expert but it sounds like the envelope resets with each CC value change. or something, not sure. It's not a big deal for me because I'm boring and don't do many manual filter sweeps but it seems weird and was curious if it was normal.

Two thumbs up on the Pro12 from this happy customer. I felt like I was expressing myself as an artists within moments of powering it up.
Old 2nd November 2014
Deleted ca98332
I'm quite happy with the Pro12, made an ambient record within the first month of owning it:

https://duffegan.bandcamp.com/track/the-harvest

All recordings are from the Pro12. I found it to be very inspiring and inviting, went deep with it for two weekend sessions and felt right at home. Very happy with it.

Only question I have is that manual filter sweeps can be a bit "jumpy" and "glitchy" when I have more than 2-3 mod sources on the HPF cutoff. I'm not an expert but it sounds like the envelope resets with each CC value change. or something, not sure. It's not a big deal for me because I'm boring and don't do many manual filter sweeps but it seems weird and was curious if it was normal.

Two thumbs up on the Pro12 from this happy customer. I felt like I was expressing myself as an artists within moments of powering it up.
Old 27th November 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I have question for those who own a Prophet 12:

- Are you still getting inspired by it?
- Are you still satisfied with the filter on the Prophet 12 even though you know they introduced the Pro2 Sem based filter design? Aren't you worries DSI will come up with a new synthesizer this NAMM in 2015?

I am really considering to buy it once I have enough money. Hoping to hear your opinions! Many thanks.

EDIT: I am just browsing demo videos on youtube again fillng my gas tank, and I noticed this comment:

Quote:
..... I know tone, synths and programing. Once you have played a fully re -caped and calibrated obxa for example, you know what direct feedback and inspiration from a synth is all about. Of course, you haven't experienced this or you would know it first hand. You would notice the p12's ocs don't breath and have an "alive" movement between them. You would be struck by the stiff, canned sound. It doesn't take long to get fatigued by it. Will this stop people from making music with it? No. It's still a good synth.
A GREAT synth has huge bass resonance and extended highs. Bass that not only thumps you in the chest, but shakes the floor and rattles windows. The p12's envs don't have that kind of snap or bass depth. Feature set notwithstanding, great tone is full analog. The p12 is cool no question. But the tone is hardly great. It's blurred and doesn't have a rich tone with extended, ripping highs. The kind of analog tone I am talking about just thrills you too no end. You can feel it. The p12's tone doesn't do it for me. It has a dreamy "in-between" tone that lacks what makes great synth tone. Take Dave's Prophet 5 Rev 2 for example. That's his best Synth. That's a synth with 3D depth and bass. He should try to top that.
A great synth sells for over double it's original cost 20 years latter. Will the p12 fall into this category? Probably not. Do you think it will?
I would like to see my favorite synth designer bring out a full analog instead of going the hybrid route. Many people would buy such a synth. It would hold it's value and that would be a good investment for the future. This would be going forward in satisfying a need, instead of going sideways. The p12 has a DW8000 tone. It's cool, but Dave can and will do better. Tom Oberheim put out a full analog. Why can't Dave?
You could care less, but many people can hear the slightly less then stellar tone of the p12. It's a good, not great synth. You have been schooled.?
Opinions? What do you think? Does the Prophet 12 lacks VCO BREATHE and ALIVENESS vs say, an OBX or a Prophet 5?
Old 27th November 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
ffs...I should of looked for this thread first...
Old 27th November 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickdafunk ➑️
I have question for those who own a Prophet 12:

- Are you still getting inspired by it?
- Are you still satisfied with the filter on the Prophet 12 even though you know they introduced the Pro2 Sem based filter design? Aren't you worries DSI will come up with a new synthesizer this NAMM in 2015?
EDIT: I am just browsing demo videos on youtube again fillng my gas tank, and I noticed this comment:
Opinions? What do you think? Does the Prophet 12 lacks VCO BREATHE and ALIVENESS vs say, an OBX or a Prophet 5?
The short version: Prophet 12 has digital oscillators that sound different (not better or worse) from 30-year old analog oscillators. For me, any negative there is more than offset by its value and tremendous programmability, power, and value.

The long version: If you're going to actually make purchase decisions based on (or even just READ) YouTube comments, man, we cannot help you. Those are just crazy nonsense.

I find the Prophet 12 to be a wonderful instrument, as IS. I guarantee that if DSI had changed out the filters already, people would be griping about how great the filter used to be before they changed it. So no, I don't worry.

Go play with the synth yourself. Ask yourself if you like the sound or not. What I or any other internerd writes shouldn't matter. What matters is what you think, whether you like it, and what you do with it.

I fully expect DSI and other synth manufacturers to keep making great gear. New gear that I don't have cannot possibly change the sound of the gear that I do have. If I like the way something sounds, I'll get it it. If I stop liking it, I'll get rid of it.

Personally I find the whole "oscillator aliveness" discussion (and its variants) to be pretty tedious. Yeah, there's differences between VCOs, DCOs, and all-digital oscillators. If it matters to you, get the kind you like.

But remember oscillators are only one part of a synthesizer.

It's totally OK if you don't dig the sound of the Prophet 12. But you should also not expect it to be able to sound *exactly* like some vintage analog synth. That's not what it's for or intended to be, and that's not how it's priced.

To address the YouTube comment, yeah, Tom Oberheim is making the 2 voice again. All analog. $3500 list for 2 voices of 2 oscillators each, with very limited modulation capabilities (relatively speaking).

The Prophet 12 lists for $500 less, has 12 voices of 4 oscillators (plus sub!), and the oscillators can produce many waveshapes. And the modulation routing is insane.

They're different beasts, and it really depends on what you want.

If you crave vintage sounds and "authenticity", Prophet 12 is maybe not the best board for you.

If you want to be able to do really good emulations of those sounds AND a whole lot more that the vintage boards can't touch, there are also other options. Me, I love my Prophet 12.
πŸ“ Reply