DSI Prophet 12 - Page 82 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DSI Prophet 12
Old 12th July 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by donato ➑️
I'm a little fuzzy on the A and B outputs.

Can both layers be output from simply the A stereo outputs? How are most people hooking this up in their studio? Are people using both stereo outputs? Anyone just using A? Are there any disadvantages of using just A (can you get the same functionality)?

I'm not interested really in splitting the keyboard, but stacking sounds seems essential. And I realize if you just used A you wouldn't have the advantage of further processing both layers individually within a DAW, but can you still route both layers to the A output?

As far as I understand it, there are functions to put 6 voices with two patches splitting the keyboard or stacking two layers on top of each other with 6 voices each. Is there a mode where you can have one layer of 12 voices?
yeah, i use it with both layers from one set of outputs. theres also a global mono / stereo setting that will just eliminate the voice spreading if set to mono. layering, splits, all very useful and most importantly super easy and quick to setup.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Can both layers be output from simply the A stereo outputs? How are most people hooking this up in their studio? Are people using both stereo outputs? Anyone just using A? Are there any disadvantages of using just A (can you get the same functionality)?

I'm not interested really in splitting the keyboard, but stacking sounds seems essential. And I realize if you just used A you wouldn't have the advantage of further processing both layers individually within a DAW, but can you still route both layers to the A output?

As far as I understand it, there are functions to put 6 voices with two patches splitting the keyboard or stacking two layers on top of each other with 6 voices each. Is there a mode where you can have one layer of 12 voices?
yeah, i use it with both layers from one set of outputs. theres also a global mono / stereo setting that will just eliminate the voice spreading if set to mono. layering, splits, all very useful and most importantly super easy and quick to setup.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Old 12th July 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Let me guess. Tapatalk?
Old 12th July 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I posted a funny MIDI issue, but... Edit; looks like a problem with Logic passing through MIDI CC's bank changes back to the synth. The P12 is forgiven, thank goodness!!
Old 19th July 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I own a Prophet 12 module (purchased recently) and have also put in an order for the Pro 2.

I have owned a Tempest which I sold recently and also a Tetra 4. I must admit that I wasn't really taken with the sound of the Tetra 4 or even the Tempest. I wanted to enjoy their sound but I found that they weren't for me. I thought that maybe it was the DSI sound in general I didn't connect with but after buying the Prophet 12 that all changed.

It is a beast of a synth! I couldn't really find many good demos before I made the purchase but there were a few which made me interested in the sound. For my ears (and I don't call myself an expert) the Prophet has a deep and broad bass sound but can also be used for light pads or metallic melodies. It's sonic palette seems very rich and I have only just scratched the surface. Here is a quick demo I put together.

https://soundcloud.com/miles-beverley/the-prophet

It is definitely one of my favourite synths (the other being the Access Virus TI2). It is also very accessible. I used the Tetra for example but couldn't really get to grips with due to all the menu diving. The Prophet 12 has easier access to the parameters.
Old 20th July 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I just did a SHOULD I BUY IT quiz: http://gotoquiz.com/should_i_buy_it

And it said: 66% Buy it. Congrats! You should buy it! It's worth it! Get the thing and use it like it's a dollar bill. Have fun!

Well THANK YOU, YOU FILLED MY GAS TANK ONCE MORE.
Old 20th July 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by genetic92 ➑️
I just did a SHOULD I BUY IT quiz: Should I buy it

And it said: 66% Buy it. Congrats! You should buy it! It's worth it! Get the thing and use it like it's a dollar bill. Have fun!

Well THANK YOU, YOU FILLED MY GAS TANK ONCE MORE.
49% for me, hasn't helped at all
Old 20th July 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
im thinking about getting the the p12 and the 08 module to poly chain when taxes come.

anybody using this combo or vice versa?

is it worth it? im into the kavinsky sounding stuff.
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Does anybody know what kind of D/A Converters the Prophet 12 has when they go from their DSP SHARC Processors to it's Analog Components?

I couldn't find anything in this Thread about this, hope someone can clarify. Many thanks.
Old 21st July 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDISIN ➑️
im thinking about getting the the p12 and the 08 module to poly chain when taxes come.

anybody using this combo or vice versa?

is it worth it? im into the kavinsky sounding stuff.
You cannot polychain the P12 with the Prophet 08. The Prophet 12 uses DSP SHARC Processors, whereas the Prophet 08 uses Digital Controlled Oscillators.

Also, if you want Kavinsky sounding stuff, why not use a DX7? I've read interviews where he said he uses a lot of DX7 for his tracks.
Old 21st July 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Does anybody know what kind of D/A Converters the Prophet 12 has when they go from their DSP SHARC Processors to it's Analog Components?

I couldn't find anything in this Thread about this, hope someone can clarify. Many thanks.
Good question. I'm also very interested in this..!
Old 25th July 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
You cannot polychain the P12 with the Prophet 08. The Prophet 12 uses DSP SHARC Processors, whereas the Prophet 08 uses Digital Controlled Oscillators.

Also, if you want Kavinsky sounding stuff, why not use a DX7? I've read interviews where he said he uses a lot of DX7 for his tracks.
i tried the dx7 and it just wasnt for me, needless to say i did get some interesting sounds out of it..

the prophet 08 is what im leaning towards since its not 3k..

could that one be polychained to the PEK?

what CAN the 08 be poly'd too?

thanks guys, the sub37 had my attention but after seeing a video of james blake playing the 08 it sold me on dsi..
Old 7th August 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Very nice lo-key musical demo, no robot squid noizes from Zeta Reticuli, but lots of spacy oxygenated pads from the shores of Orion.

Old 11th August 2014
F5D
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
My attempt to program Boards of Canada (BOC) -style sounds with P12, and a short recording using them with some live Zoom H1 clips.
https://soundcloud.com/f5d/f5d-prophet-12-canada
Old 11th August 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Prophet 12 or Modulus002?
Old 11th August 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by F5D ➑️
My attempt to program Boards of Canada (BOC) -style sounds with P12, and a short recording using them with some live Zoom H1 clips.
Holy ****!! Really good!
Great feelings from hearing this, since I've recently decided on investing on a Prophet 12.
Thank you for this great demo!!
Old 11th August 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I just listened to the 3 demos on this page, really impressive stuff!
Old 11th August 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDISIN ➑️
i tried the dx7 and it just wasnt for me, needless to say i did get some interesting sounds out of it..

the prophet 08 is what im leaning towards since its not 3k..

could that one be polychained to the PEK?

what CAN the 08 be poly'd too?

thanks guys, the sub37 had my attention but after seeing a video of james blake playing the 08 it sold me on dsi..
Do you even know what polychaining does?
Old 18th August 2014
F5D
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Want to hear Prophet 12 with two analog BBD delays configured in stereo? As we know, the Pro 2 has a digital BBD emulation. Then, I got this idea why not combine two real analog BBD delays with the Prophet 12? In the following recording I play different sounds and change the delay settings also. Some of the sounds come dry first before adding the delays. There is also a 4-stage analog phaser in use, especially audible in the last clip. https://soundcloud.com/f5d/f5d-prophet-12-stereo-bbd
Old 22nd August 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
This thread is relevant to my interests :P
Old 23rd August 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHayduke ➑️
Very nice lo-key musical demo, no robot squid noizes from Zeta Reticuli, but lots of spacy oxygenated pads from the shores of Orion.

Marvellous! It gets along with that Big Sky tremendously well.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I would really appreciate it you people could stop making beautiful demo's with the p12, thanks.

Only harsh, thin, digital blippy farts, please!

Old 23rd August 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Anyone tried a P12 with a RE 201?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHayduke ➑️
Dude, you inspire. Great great work. This is one of the best demo's I have seen.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveFromKyoto ➑️
Marvellous! It gets along with that Big Sky tremendously well.
But how much of that sound is down to the Big Sky's Chorale algorithm? The Big Sky gets along with pretty much any synth and makes it sound gloriously ethereal.

Don't get me wrong - it's a great combination, a lovely sound and an impressive demo but I'm not convinced that it tells us much about the qualities of the P12 itself.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuseball ➑️
But how much of that sound is down to the Big Sky's Chorale algorithm? The Big Sky gets along with pretty much any synth and makes it sound gloriously ethereal.

Don't get me wrong - it's a great combination, a lovely sound and an impressive demo but I'm not convinced that it tells us much about the qualities of the P12 itself.
I have to agree with you, I received the big sky today and tried zebra, sylenth and ACE for hours thru it.

Some algos are pretty clean like the hall or room but when you set it to bloom or cloud and turn the wet up it's difficult to focus on the input because of the awesomeness around it.

Those airy pads with zebra OMG...
Old 29th August 2014
F5D
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
DSI posted Prophet 12 OS v1.2 on their webpage. I can recommend installing it, as it has several bug fixes, including drastically improved behaviour, when using noise as osc waveform.
Old 29th August 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by F5D ➑️
What reverb you're using (if any)
Old 29th August 2014 | Show parent
F5D
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by redloheb ➑️
What reverb you're using (if any)
I use different reverbs, but in this one I think I had relab lx480 in use.
πŸ“ Reply