"Private Annex to the Apparently-Dead DSI Forum"

awesome forum subhead.
Old 1st July 2014 | Show parent
F5D
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by genetic92 ➡️
hi there, very nice demo! I have a question, is this just one patch? How is this patch build? Is it a layered patch?
Only a single layer is in use, no unison. I very rarely use unison anyway. Pretty much all mod routings, lfo's and envelopes are in use. It is too complicated to explain all the details. I believe 2 saw oscs + noise. Velocity and aftertouch affect several things that "slow down" the tape / vinyl. It is good that DSI offers so many mod matrix slots and destinations, although not many of the presets use them so much.
Old 1st July 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by F5D ➡️
Only a single layer is in use, no unison. I very rarely use unison anyway. Pretty much all mod routings, lfo's and envelopes are in use. It is too complicated to explain all the details. I believe 2 saw oscs + noise. Velocity and aftertouch affect several things that "slow down" the tape / vinyl. It is good that DSI offers so many mod matrix slots and destinations, although not many of the presets use them so much.
Awesome, very nice!
Old 1st July 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Awesome patch. Sad about the DSI forum.... It's the only resource I've seen that had reliable info on the synth and upcoming updates.
Old 7th July 2014
I played with one when I was down under..

It is really bright and cutting. And can sound drifty and analog, but it does lack warmth, would have to run it through some stuff to color it. It is amazing at pads.. WOW.

But 3000. uhg.....and the pro 2 at 2000. LOL

DSI, 12 voice should be 1500, pro 2 should be 650.
Old 7th July 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hi, I've just got a new Prophet 12 and there's something bugging me about it, I wonder if it's defective.
Could any owners run a test for me please to confirm ?
If eg. you write a basic patch from the global menu, set LPF cutoff to 65 and resonance to 60
and now play repeated low C, there is a high pitch noticeable that shouldn’t be there,
it’s not on voice 1 but as the synth cycles upwards thru each voice the hi pitch gets louder
and at it’s loudest on voice 12 . It sounds a bit like ring modulation and it’s frequency is the same
no matter what note you play.
If you have trouble hearing it turn up the drive and it becomes more pronounced.
Surely this shouldn’t happen, does it happen on yours ?

Thanks in advance.
Mike
Old 7th July 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disease Factory ➡️

Moog's Sub37 should cost $500, a Nord Stage 2 should cost $1200, an Access Virus ti2 should be no more than $900 and Novation should give their BS2 when you register on their website.

I bet you got a ton of softwares
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniDX ➡️

I bet you got a ton of softwares
That's just a rude thing to say.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by F5D ➡️
Recorded a clip of "Belt-driven Strings" patch with P12 that I programmed to emulate broken synth strings with flavours varying between tape/vinyl/belt-drive/Mellotron. The sound gets more "broken", the stronger you play. Link: DSI P12 Belt-driven Strings
Very nice, could you upload the patch?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulstar ➡️
If eg. you write a basic patch from the global menu, set LPF cutoff to 65 and resonance to 60
and now play repeated low C, there is a high pitch noticeable that shouldn’t be there,
it’s not on voice 1 but as the synth cycles upwards thru each voice the hi pitch gets louder
and at it’s loudest on voice 12 . It sounds a bit like ring modulation and it’s frequency is the same
If you have trouble hearing it turn up the drive and it becomes more pronounced.
When I first purchased P12 module, some buttons were stuck on front panel, so I sent it back for repair. The local shop had a loaner for me which I took home for about 2 weeks, and that loaner unit definitely had a very loud prominent high pitch whine going on, throughout all patches. Around 10-11k. Thankfully my unit was repaired. On my current unit, I repeated the steps that you posted and I don't hear any high pitches.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hi, I've just got a new Prophet 12 and there's something bugging me about it, I wonder if it's defective.

Thanks in advance.
Mike
What OS version, Mike? (hit the global button). Try an update to see if that changes anything. Dave Smith Instruments :: Prophet 12 Polyphonic Synthesizer.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Latest OS 1.1.1, I've recalibrated the filters etc. reset globals. No change, think I've got a dud :(
Old 7th July 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Did you post a clip?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disease Factory ➡️

Lol..He's baaaacck!
Old 7th July 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I had the noise, it's a fairly commonly reported issue, I can recall several threads on the Prophet forums. Some of it is possibly 'character' [osc bleed in to the filter], but what really tidied it up was the OS updated to tame the filter and some pseudo balanced TS to XLR cables into my audio interface. [Got mine from the SOS webshop here in the UK]. Maybe I've learned to 'unhear' it, but I found a definite improvement with OS updates and those cables. Worth a try, at least. Anyway, the sounds I've coaxed out are so good I forgave it! In fact, a big polysynth like this begs layering - try it with a big softie like Alchemy or Omnisphere, and you really hear the drifty, raw imperfection against the sheen of the digital stuff. I hate the tired and unnecessary digital vs analogue debate, but there's an undeniable instant '80's kick' to layering the P12 and a PPG, or a crystalline FM patch, or a D50-ish vectored evolving pad. I keep saying it, but run the Prophet through some Valhalla Shimmer and beware... you'll lose a few hours!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Latest OS 1.1.1, I've recalibrated the filters etc. reset globals. No change, think I've got a dud :(
I can't say whether your unit is a dud or not, I'm not qualified to make such a statement, but I will share the facts from my situation:

On the "noisy" unit, it took about -12 db @ around 10971.5 hz with a sharp Q in my DAW to remove the noise. I tried OS 1.1.0 and 1.1.1 on both the noisy unit and my current quiet unit. The OS updates did not affect the noise / quiet of each unit. These days I'm on OS 1.1.2.
Old 7th July 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It seems the level of the 11K noise is different on different units, on mine it is extremely low in level, around the noise floor but on others it seems very noticeable.
Old 8th July 2014
F5D
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I also noticed some digital noise, but it is quite close to the noise floor, and pumps up only with certain settings, and if you use compression/limiting afterwards. Have to check closer now that others have it also, but I think my P12 is not one of the problem units. Most of the time, it is totally silent. I use a pseudo-balanced cable from the P12 to the balanced input of my A/D-converter.
Old 8th July 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Mike
I just tried this. The only way I can see ANY noise at 11 khz is if I repeatedly, rapidly trigger the note. To me, that means you're hearing a click from the envelopes, not from the oscillators.
Attached Thumbnails
DSI Prophet 12-p12_11k_noise.jpg  
Old 9th July 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
That could be it. You could increase the attack to ~10 and/or turn on Wave Reset in the Oscillator section.
Old 10th July 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
The noise on mine was around 2000hz , I sent DSI a sample of it and they are sending me a replacement main board which should sort things out.
I've uploaded the sample here so anyone interested can listen, you'll probably have to listen on some bigger speakers than your laptop speakers because it's mostly low end.
Attached Files
File Type: aiff Prophet 12 artifacts.aiff (2.26 MB, 224 views)
Old 10th July 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Is this something that they will fix on later runs or is it just a random defect?
Old 11th July 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Just thought I'd upload a little snippet. This is a messy clip, I wan't intending to make anything out of this. It's just the sort of thing you hear quite a bit when you play around, you know? The brass is Prophet, the marimba percussive stuff is Omnisphere, the reverb is Valhalla and there's no polish or note tidying. I had a nice sound going, so I just hit record and sampled a minute or so of the audio. It's nothing more than two hands playing improv live.

I uploaded it to give people an idea of the Prophet in real world situations - i.e. run through effects, layered up a little, as though it would perhaps in a mix. I'm messing with the knobs as I played, so occasionally you might hear abrupt changes in the sound as I tinkered. Rather than dry sounds all the time, this is what a P12 does to your mix!

The Brass sound is one I've made for the next bank I'll be uploading to the Prophet forum now it's back online.

Old 11th July 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The noise on mine was around 2000hz , I sent DSI a sample of it and they are sending me a replacement main board which should sort things out.
I've uploaded the sample here so anyone interested can listen, you'll probably have to listen on some bigger speakers than your laptop speakers because it's mostly low end.
That P12 is very sick!
Old 11th July 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Sounds wonderful, Persemone. A bit in the Francis Lai / Vangelis vibe, late 70's / early 80's. Great job!
Old 11th July 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Thanks! It's one of those synths that really adds something to a layered sound. It's pretty hard to make it sound uninteresting... pretty much any patch, layered with any Omnisphere or Alchemy sound, and it sounds incredible, you really hear the 'analogue imperfection' through the digital lustre. Likewise, through any decent 'verb [Valhalla is my favourite, though I own some excellent niche reactor ensembles] it sounds truly epic. I'm still learning so much with it, so much still to do...
Old 11th July 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I have some of the Valhalla stuff. Which one are you running it through?
Old 11th July 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I have a question. I asked this in the newly re-opened dsiforum.com but figured many don't know it's back open or don't post there anyway. I don't own this synth (yet?), and am curious / confused about the connections. My most important question is in bold and is as follows:

I'm a little fuzzy on the A and B outputs.

Can both layers be output from simply the A stereo outputs? How are most people hooking this up in their studio? Are people using both stereo outputs? Anyone just using A? Are there any disadvantages of using just A (can you get the same functionality)?

I'm not interested really in splitting the keyboard, but stacking sounds seems essential. And I realize if you just used A you wouldn't have the advantage of further processing both layers individually within a DAW, but can you still route both layers to the A output?

As far as I understand it, there are functions to put 6 voices with two patches splitting the keyboard or stacking two layers on top of each other with 6 voices each. Is there a mode where you can have one layer of 12 voices?
Old 11th July 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
That one was shimmer, IIRC. I like the big spaces in Room, too, although I haven't yet ponied up for VVV. I might just, though, now that 6 new reverb models have been added [the chorus space looks tasty]! I'd also recommend the Boscomac ensembles for Reaktor if you have those - there's a lovely BlackHole type emulation and a great ducked reverb in there, all free ensemble add ons. I'm simultaneously a reverb snob and a reverb-whatever.... I find interesting sounds interesting, so there are no quality benchmarks per se, only what gets me inspired. Still... Valhalla and Reaktor have killed off my GAS for a Strymon pedal!

Edit to the question posted - I run everything out of the A outputs. The ability to split per MIDI channel was an OS update, but it's an option. And yes, you can split, stack or just ignore layer B to have a true 12 voice poly.
Old 12th July 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persemone ➡️
Thanks! It's one of those synths that really adds something to a layered sound. It's pretty hard to make it sound uninteresting... pretty much any patch, layered with any Omnisphere or Alchemy sound, and it sounds incredible, you really hear the 'analogue imperfection' through the digital lustre. Likewise, through any decent 'verb [Valhalla is my favourite, though I own some excellent niche reactor ensembles] it sounds truly epic. I'm still learning so much with it, so much still to do...

This is why I love it with Virus!
📝 Reply