DSI Prophet 12 - Page 80 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DSI Prophet 12
Old 18th June 2014 | Show parent
Deleted 0fc8128
Quote:
Originally Posted by F5D ➡️
Can you access the dsiforum? It has been down for almost a week now. :/
I think that DSI is busy with their new instrument and thus haven't addressed the forum issue yet. My guess…

However, you still can download our CPM sound set here!
Old 18th June 2014
F5D
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I agree, it is possibly due to the new synth launch.
Old 19th June 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cLoudForest ➡️
It just seemed odd that Dave would licence all the waveforms from the VS to John Bowen and wouldn't include them in the P12, but the fact that they're algorithm-based probably explains why.
Maybe because many of those VS waves are bizarre, and volume mismatched as well. I tinkered with one, and was mystified as to how useful about half those buzzy, shrieky things were. Just about every patch done in the VS and other synths that have those waves use the prettier, more natural ones.

I think Dave chose the most musically useful waves, including the AM and FM utility, which will give you plenty of shriek if you want it.

Interesting about the boards... launch may be imminent?
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by synthguy ➡️
Maybe because many of those VS waves are bizarre, and volume mismatched as well. I tinkered with one, and was mystified as to how useful about half those buzzy, shrieky things were. Just about every patch done in the VS and other synths that have those waves use the prettier, more natural ones.
According to what Raffor says it's kind of a moot point anyway because there seems to be something different going on in the P12 with the shape-mod rather than just simple mixing of sampled waveforms like on the VS. So I'm not really clear that the waves are samples at all but are maybe algorithmically generated instead? I guess it may be that each pair of waves has a different "morph" algorithm so it makes sense to keep the number down to a manageable level, perhaps. It's interesting...

Quote:
Interesting about the boards... launch may be imminent?
Those boards are always either down or won't accept new logins most of the time, though. They're running on some weird, flaky free-access Unix thing that's administered by someone else. If they just wanted to take the forum offline intentionally I doubt they'd bork their MySql instance to do it, which is what the error says has happened.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Ok, spent the whole weekend programming sounds with the P12. Here is a short demo, multitracked using my custom patches with some fx: https://soundcloud.com/f5d/f5d-prophet12-demo2014

The Prophet 12 can do Prophet 08 sounds quite well, but IMO it does not replace it. There is some analog growl in P08 that the P12 cannot touch, although it is much more versatile with its hybrid sound engine. Wonderful synth!
Awesome, love the Vangelis feel! Beautiful sounding synth, that p12
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
According to what Raffor says it's kind of a moot point anyway because there seems to be something different going on in the P12 with the shape-mod rather than just simple mixing of sampled waveforms like on the VS. So I'm not really clear that the waves are samples at all but are maybe algorithmically generated instead? I guess it may be that each pair of waves has a different "morph" algorithm so it makes sense to keep the number down to a manageable level, perhaps. It's interesting...
I think that's exactly right. It's definitely not just a cross-fade, since you can shape-mod the waveforms into themselves by setting the Wave Left or Wave Right to the same shape as the main osc, and still hear (and see!) a clear change to the waveform.
Old 19th June 2014
F5D
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
My guess is that the waves are static digital waves, not generated by algorithms, but the algorithm for sweeping / summing of the three waves is not just a simple sum operation. I am glad that the P12 can do bright strings, more like some Rolands. Mixing of basic waveforms with the "digital" waves also reminds me of working with Roland XV3080, but much easier and with analog filters. The P12 is now my go to strings / pad-machine for sure.
Old 19th June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My guess is that they are not sample based, otherwise why would they stick 6 expensive sharc processors in there.
F5D
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
My view on this is that a lot of power is needed already to run the big modulation matrix, FM and AM of 4 oscillators, all fixed mod routings, character section, 4 delay lines, controlling of the OLED display etc. Also, I see no reason to create the waves of a wavetable synth based on realtime algorithms. Of course it could be done, but looking at the older wavetable synths, for example waldorf, they use static waves that are mixed / sweeped. Judging by the sound of the saw and pulse oscillators of P12, as compared to Prophet 08, they are quite simple as well, definitely not modelling any analog circuits on the component level. The P12 is not advertised as a virtual analog synth. There is something static about the basic oscillator waves that can be heard at times. My guess here is also samples with the ability to morph the wave to another shape. But it is totally ok in a hybrid synth like this, lots of modulations, character section, analog filters, tuned feedback, delays and distortion combined produce a huge sound. A lot more randomness can be introduced to the oscillators by modulation that one should always use to produce sounds that live and breathe, even if they are very basic. Dave does not want to put the P12 in any certain category. As he says, he does not take sides. What sounds good, sounds good. Even simple technologies can sound good.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
My view on this is that a lot of power is needed already to run the big modulation matrix, FM and AM of 4 oscillators, all fixed mod routings, character section, 4 delay lines, controlling of the OLED display etc. Also, I see no reason to create the waves of a wavetable synth based on realtime algorithms. Of course it could be done, but looking at the older wavetable synths, for example waldorf, they use static waves that are mixed / sweeped. Judging by the sound of the saw and pulse oscillators of P12, as compared to Prophet 08, they are quite simple as well, definitely not modelling any analog circuits on the component level. The P12 is not advertised as a virtual analog synth. There is something static about the basic oscillator waves that can be heard at times. My guess here is also samples with the ability to morph the wave to another shape. But it is totally ok in a hybrid synth like this, lots of modulations, character section, analog filters, tuned feedback, delays and distortion combined produce a huge sound. A lot more randomness can be introduced to the oscillators by modulation that one should always use to produce sounds that live and breathe, even if they are very basic. Dave does not want to put the P12 in any certain category. As he says, he does not take sides. What sounds good, sounds good. Even simple technologies can sound good.
I would bet you anything they are not samples.
Old 25th June 2014
F5D
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Recorded a clip of "Belt-driven Strings" patch with P12 that I programmed to emulate broken synth strings with flavours varying between tape/vinyl/belt-drive/Mellotron. The sound gets more "broken", the stronger you play. Link: DSI P12 Belt-driven Strings
Old 26th June 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Thanks, that's interesting. If the waveforms are algorithm-based rather than just samples then I guess it may explain why they didn't just put all the VS waves in there.

I'm viewing this from a perspective that's probably shared by no-one else because I've got my name down for a Solaris but I'm tempted to get the P12 as well. It just seemed odd that Dave would licence all the waveforms from the VS to John Bowen and wouldn't include them in the P12, but the fact that they're algorithm-based probably explains why.
Hmmm. I didnt know Dave licensed the VS waves to John Bowen. I thought the Solaris sounded alot like a poly evolver!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Recorded a clip of "Belt-driven Strings" patch with P12 that I programmed to emulate broken synth strings with flavours varying between tape/vinyl/belt-drive/Mellotron. The sound gets more "broken", the stronger you play.
Link: DSI P12 Belt-driven Strings
Clearly that's a defective P12 or you're abusing it. Just kidding -- that's excellent sound design, sir!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Recorded a clip of "Belt-driven Strings" patch with P12 that I programmed to emulate broken synth strings with flavours varying between tape/vinyl/belt-drive/Mellotron. The sound gets more "broken", the stronger you play.
Beautiful!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
F5D, when are you releasing your sound bank!
Old 27th June 2014 | Show parent
F5D
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth80s ➡️
Clearly that's a defective P12 or you're abusing it. Just kidding -- that's excellent sound design, sir!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHayduke ➡️
Beautiful!
Thanks! It was fun to program that sound, and found some new tricks that I had never used before. The P12 is deep!
Quote:
Originally Posted by markwalkerjr ➡️
F5D, when are you releasing your sound bank!
I have been planning commercial soundbanks for P08, P12, and other synths as well, but I need to develop a webpage first. Also, I need to do some calculations whether it will be feasible, as there are so many webpages selling soundbanks for synths with prices (and often quality too) between low and free.
Old 28th June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Where are DSI product owners discussing things since dsiforum.com no longer works? Is there a replacement forum of sorts?
Old 28th June 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by donato ➡️
Where are DSI product owners discussing things since dsiforum.com no longer works? Is there a replacement forum of sorts?
your lookin' at it buddy! heh
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDayho ➡️
your lookin' at it buddy! heh
Yeah, I kinda figured that was the case. That's unfortunate. I wonder why the dsiforum went belly-up or whatever. Someone needs to make a new forum!
Old 28th June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Says it crashed
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelican ➡️
Says it crashed
Been that way for a couple weeks now.
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
I'm currently one of the first members of the new DSI's Lifeboat Forum, made by a former user from dsiforum.

I think there's potential to grow!

F5D
Amazing patch!! One of the best I've heard so far. Congratulations!!

Cheers!!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr73645 ➡️
F5D
Amazing patch!! One of the best I've heard so far. Congratulations!!

Cheers!!
Agree. That's magnificent and gorgeous. I don't have this synth, but you really should share your talents by making a soundset for it.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr73645 ➡️
I'm currently one of the first members of the new DSI's Lifeboat Forum, made by a former user from dsiforum.

I think there's potential to grow!
Link for others interested? Might not be a bad idea to spread it around.
Old 30th June 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheDog ➡️
This one is worth a listen to as well: https://soundcloud.com/boxed-ear/box...ound-bank-demo
Wow! It's nothing if not versatile.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Recorded a clip of "Belt-driven Strings" patch with P12 that I programmed to emulate broken synth strings with flavours varying between tape/vinyl/belt-drive/Mellotron. The sound gets more "broken", the stronger you play. Link: DSI P12 Belt-driven Strings
hi there, very nice demo! I have a question, is this just one patch? How is this patch build? Is it a layered patch?
Old 30th June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I spent all weekend with my P12, and I'd hazard to guess he's sending aftertouch to OSC SLOP and/or OSC FREQ, among other tricks. You have enough slots to modulate each oscillator's slop/frequency individually in differing amounts, which could be quite cool. Just a guess though! I doubt I could ever recreate his patch, but just attempting to do so might be a satisfying exercise in itself.

I personally spent a lot of time this weekend playing with the aux envelopes, patching the LFOs, and elements of OTHER envelopes through them--for example applying an aux envelope to the amp release. Seems hard to believe aux envelopes could be so satisfying, but it was a blast.
Old 30th June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Can someone with the module tell me how you find the workflow?
📝 Reply