Quantcast
DSI Prophet 12 - Page 79 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DSI Prophet 12
Old 10th June 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I went out to demo a Prophet 12 today. I'm not particularly looking for another polysynth right now but I do have a gap for something hands-on with extensive modulation potential and to be honest, I went TO RULE THE P12 OUT!! I haven't been all that impressed by a lot of the demos I've heard online but spending 30mins with a pair of headphones was a different experience. Damn, I didn't want to like it, but I did. Initial impressions aren't always accurate when it comes to synths, it seemed to be quite polite soundwise but still capable of warmth - the pads were great. it's a great looking piece of kit and as I'm done with 30 year old analog polys this would be an ideal replacement. I have no problem with digital IF it sounds good (and I love the sound of the Nord Lead 2x). The P12 might not convincingly replace the huge brassy waft of an OBXa but that isn't really what I'm looking for (I have a CODE for that stuff). I think the P12 can be a chameleon with it's extensive oscillator section, modulations and dual filters. I can't currently think of a better example of an all-in-one, easy-to-use powerful synth and now the damn thing is next on my list.
Old 11th June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This one is worth a listen to as well: https://soundcloud.com/boxed-ear/box...ound-bank-demo
Old 13th June 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Holy crap... Just got my p12 today and have been sitting on it all day. I'm completely blown away, almost everything sounds good on it if you know what you are doing. Really really good. And its just amazing for live use or expressive playing. On top of that the interface is so good and hands on that you can dial in complex sounds very fast.

I knew it was good but i hardly expected it to be this great.
Old 13th June 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Holy crap... Just got my p12 today and have been sitting on it all day. I'm completely blown away, almost everything sounds good on it if you know what you are doing. Really really good. And its just amazing for live use or expressive playing. On top of that the interface is so good and hands on that you can dial in complex sounds very fast.

I knew it was good but i hardly expected it to be this great.
Old 13th June 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by markorbit ➑️
I can't currently think of a better example of an all-in-one, easy-to-use powerful synth and now the damn thing is next on my list.
Virus TI?

Let the trolling commence.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdi ➑️
Virus TI?

Virus isn't even in the same league... Based on manufacturing costs alone I bet that access could build 4 viruses at the price of one prophet 12 just look at them...
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdi ➑️
Virus TI?
And I already own a Virus TI.... Yes, it is a very powerful synth and the 16 part capability with effects is fantastic. However, I don't dig the interface much so it isn't a go-to synth.

The Prophet 12 though... the experience is like a real synth from the days of the P5, JP8 and the OBX. Heck it even has a hinged lid
Old 14th June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
In the hands of someone who loves and identifies with it I can see its worthiness as with any instrument. It's a very flexible beast.

I bought one new (without playing one, mistake) and just couldn't warm up to the sound. Likewise the JP-8000. Finally found the VA I was looking for in the Waldorf Q.

Nothing against the P12 however, I had a lot of fun with it. Just wasn't the sound I wanted. AAMOF, glad the differences exist. The world would be a boring place if every synth sounded like it's neighbor.

Edit: Recently got an AN1x. Will see how that stacks up.
Old 14th June 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheDog ➑️
This one is worth a listen to as well: https://soundcloud.com/boxed-ear/box...ound-bank-demo
That might be the most impressive sound set I've heard yet.
Old 14th June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I won't lie, the P12 does have that interface advantage over the Virus for sure. The sound is debatable, I prefer the digital filter of the Virus but others may not.
Old 14th June 2014
F5D
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Virus has plenty of features, and is very well built (best keyboards I have ever played), but cannot compete with the user interface or the sound character of P12. After Virus C, Access went with the plugin way. They should have built a synth full of knobs. Instead, they use the same module knob structure in their keyboards, and the special features are accessible only through the menus. The thing is that soundwise Virus is always predictable, because it has a clean digital tone. P12 can be unpredictable, when you program it and use the analog features together with the mod matrix and character section. That is a big advantage, and way to get very original sounds. IMO the tone of DSI's analog filters work really well with the digital oscillators. I have not been as excited with any other synth for years, after I got the Andromeda. There is just something with synths that have hybrid synth engines. Somehow they are even more interesting than fully analog ones.

Most of the P12 demos in the internet are very basic. DSI are very polite with their advertising and the price tag may be too much for some. You really need to tweak one yourself to understand what it can do. It is surprisingly good, and should have gotten more attention. I agree with those who mentioned that the P12 will be a classic, and very sought after when it gets discontinued.
Old 15th June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
On sale at jrr for 2300 if anyone is looking
Old 16th June 2014
F5D
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Seems that Thomann was the first to drop the price. I was already wondering if it was just due to the eur usd exchange rates.
Old 16th June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Seems to have only dropped 100 quid in the UK, that Thomann price is very low now!
Old 16th June 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by F5D ➑️
.. I have not been as excited with any other synth for years, after I got the Andromeda. There is just something with synths that have hybrid synth engines. Somehow they are even more interesting than fully analog ones....
The Andromeda isn't hybrid though, or do you mean the digital efx?
F5D
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHayduke ➑️
The Andromeda isn't hybrid though, or do you mean the digital efx?
I was just comparing the excitement, when getting the two synths, unrelated to whether the synth is hybrid or analog.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ahh, ok. I know what you mean about the P12, I tried it in the store, and it definitly feels quite exciting to dig into.
Old 16th June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
.. too few waves ..
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Just bitten the bullet on a Prophet 12. The price was too tempting. I see the P12 in the same ball park as the Andromeda. They both don't have the sonic footprint of an old-school analog poly but still have enough analog going on to sound real. Lots of possibilities with the digital side and oodles of modulation contained in a superb interface. The A6 was a little fiddly. Bring on the Prophet.
Deleted 0fc8128
Quote:
Originally Posted by drxcm ➑️
.. too few waves ..
It looks so primitive on the surface but all digital waves can be combined into wavetables, even a combination of the same digital wave gives you a bunch of new waveforms. In addition, all analog waveforms can be altered (similar to pulse width) to adjust waveforms.

While I would agree, you never can have enough waveforms, I think DSI thought about the process quite a while before implementing. It is much more flexible than it seems to be.
Old 16th June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
You can select three waves per osc and there's 4 osc per twelve voices. Sure it's not as much as waldorf, but how many you want?
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by raffor ➑️
It looks so primitive on the surface but all digital waves can be combined into wavetables, even a combination of the same digital wave gives you a bunch of new waveforms.
How does that work, though? From the manual, the way I understand it is that using the wavetable waves allows you to just crossfade between 3 of the wavetable waves, so cross-fading between the same wave wouldn't seem to create anything new would it?

Quote:
While I would agree, you never can have enough waveforms, I think DSI thought about the process quite a while before implementing. It is much more flexible than it seems to be.
It's kind of weird that they would include lots of single-cycle waveforms from the Prophet VS in the Tempest, but only have a few waveforms in the Prophet 12. I guess together with FM and AM you can still create a lot of different waveforms but the wavetable aspect of it does seem limited compared to other available synths.
Deleted 0fc8128
Quote:
Originally Posted by cLoudForest ➑️
How does that work, though? From the manual, the way I understand it is that using the wavetable waves allows you to just crossfade between 3 of the wavetable waves, so cross-fading between the same wave wouldn't seem to create anything new would it?
The wavetables are all algorithm based. I don't know exactly what they are doing but using the same waveform and scanning between them gives you new waveforms. Now, loading in 3 of the same waveforms give you the same changes at both ends of course, mirroring the wavetable from 0 - -64 and 0 - 64, so to speak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cLoudForest ➑️
It's kind of weird that they would include lots of single-cycle waveforms from the Prophet VS in the Tempest, but only have a few waveforms in the Prophet 12. I guess together with FM and AM you can still create a lot of different waveforms but the wavetable aspect of it does seem limited compared to other available synths.
I am working with this system now for a while and of course, you never can have enough waveforms. But I like the way how DSI implemented the waveform scanning, how much freedom it gives you and how this results in many, many different wavetables.

When you really think about it, the P12 gives you a mini Waveterm by letting you choose freely your waveforms to create your wavetable. Sure, there are only 3 waves you can implement but nevertheless, it gives you much more freedom than using one of the 30 fixed wavetables in the PPG.

And don't forget, you have 4 oscillators. You can do a lot more by mixing your wavetable oscillator, add a 2 op FM/AM, and underline this with a nice mellow PWM oscillator to give it body. The oscillator section is unbelievable flexible and you don't need even an editor!
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
The wavetables are all algorithm based. I don't know exactly what they are doing but using the same waveform and scanning between them gives you new waveforms. Now, loading in 3 of the same waveforms give you the same changes at both ends of course, mirroring the wavetable from -64 - 0 and 0 - 64, so to speak.
Thanks, that's interesting. If the waveforms are algorithm-based rather than just samples then I guess it may explain why they didn't just put all the VS waves in there.

Quote:
I am working with this system now for a while and of course, you never can have enough waveforms. But I like the way how DSI implemented the waveform scanning, how much freedom it gives you and how this results in many, many different wavetables.

When you really think about it, the P12 gives you a mini Waveterm by letting you choose freely your waveforms to create your wavetable. Sure, there are only 3 waves you can implement but nevertheless, it gives you much more freedom than using one of the 30 fixed wavetables in the PPG.
I'm viewing this from a perspective that's probably shared by no-one else because I've got my name down for a Solaris but I'm tempted to get the P12 as well. It just seemed odd that Dave would licence all the waveforms from the VS to John Bowen and wouldn't include them in the P12, but the fact that they're algorithm-based probably explains why.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:

And don't forget, you have 4 oscillators. You can do a lot more by mixing your wavetable oscillator, add a 2 op FM/AM, and underline this with a nice mellow PWM oscillator to give it body. The oscillator section is unbelievable flexible and you don't need even an editor!
This! It's a fantastically powerful section, and that's before you feed the osc section into the analogue LPF/resonant HPF array. Maybe via some bit-crushing or distortion.... And that's before you think of using the four envelopes, the LFO's, the intuitive mod matrix... Just so much power there that it could take years and years before you truly understand the possibilities. Now, Pym, can you extend the arp note sequencer to include the lovely modulation sequencer as well?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drxcm ➑️
.. too few waves ..
I saw that you called the P12 "pristine" and "hi fi" in another thread. I don't think you discovered the "character" section of the synth when you checked it out. The "Hack" and "Decimate" controls are sample and bit rate reducers, and this section also features overdrive. That's essentially in the OSC section. There's also stereo analog distortion and a feedback circuit.

With all of those tools, this thing gets grainy as hell (if you want it to.) So you might want to check it out again if you get a chance. I think you'll find that the "character" section is key to the synth. That, combined with the wavetable scanning function create many different possibilities than are immediately apparent.
Old 16th June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The Drive is particularly useful, even a small amount changes the timbre greatly.
Old 18th June 2014
F5D
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Can you access the dsiforum? It has been down for almost a week now. :/
Old 18th June 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by F5D ➑️
Can you access the dsiforum? It has been down for almost a week now. :/
Nope. Still down from here. I'm beginning to worry that it is gone for good.
Old 18th June 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Maybe they're going to turn the forum into an official forum that you can enter via the official DSI site.
No idea, though. The forum has been offline before, but never for that long.
πŸ“ Reply