DSI Prophet 12 - Page 75 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DSI Prophet 12
Old 9th April 2014
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
deepc0re
To me, the P12 is an excelent machine, but somethings are not what I wished it was... mainly the filter. The filter on Ambika is simply amazing, even with the conventional 128 7-bit MIDI values... the resonance gives this rich Roland-alike sound that I really enjoy. The DSI filter on the other hand, behaves very nicely on aggressive sounds, but I don't enjoy it as much as many others on the soft-side material.

I don't want to turn this a A vs B thing. As for specs, I don't agree that one should really look deeply into number of osc for example, to say if a thing sounds better than other... I did consider this for some time, but eventually got my feet on the ground and began to understand that specifications doesn't really live up to our ... never.

I like what you get from the P12, but having a P08, I don't really think that I need it. The Ambika on the other side has a very distinct sound, a ballsy and different sound compared to anything I've heard in the recent market. It's the kind of character that I miss on the P12. Although it has amazing specs, I don't really get all that when I hear it. Please, don't get me wrong, it's an amazing instrument, and if I didn't have a P08, it would be a certain purchase. I just don't think it's worth the $3000, having a sonic character that sounds close to something I already have (I know, they're not the same!).

As for the beautiful OLED display, I really like it too. The whole interface on the full-sized unit is simply amazing... it's probably one of the best looking synths of all times.

BobTheDog
Although the P12 has that amazing OLED display, with envelopes projected on it, I don't really need it. I prefer a cleaner and simpler interface that shows more within it... that's what you get with the Ambika. Having 8 parameters specified in front of you is better than having a visual feedback from an envelope. I believe that everybody that has this kind of equipment doesn't need that visual feedback.

What I enjoy with the Ambika interface is that you get a sequential button pushing in a very logic way. It's better than pressing multiple separate buttons. Don't get me wrong, the P12 module was very thoughtfull, considering the enourmous amount of controls on the P12, but being limited to 4 "soft knobs" and a few other (like cutoff, resonance), it's just strange to me. In the end, you just can see more with the Ambika screen, and that's good enough.

As for the OLED, who says you don't get to use one with your Ambika????????

Cheers!
Old 9th April 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks for the info, I must admit I thought the sequential button would be a pain. It is interesting to hear it isn't.
Old 9th April 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks for the info, I must admit I thought the sequential button would be a pain. It is interesting to hear it isn't.
Old 9th April 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Of course, on a Prophet they're all really Sequential buttons.......

OK, it was weak.....
Old 9th April 2014
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Persemone
It wasn't! I laughed!
Old 9th April 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by combat medic ➑️
I would like to get an opinion from you guys. I've bought the P12 and it should arrive in the next few days. Since you guys have been using it for a while, do you think I should sell my P08 module or my Mopho X4? It seems a bit pointless to have all three so if you could have two of the three, what would they be?
I haven't tried this extensively but you should be able to replicate the sounds of the P08 on the P12 almost exactly.
I tried with Wagnerian and had the same sound character within seconds. If I had programmed all the velocity and aftertouch settings I doubt I'd be able to tell which was which.

The Mopho X4 architecture is a bit different, IIRC it has dual subs and analogue feedback. If the feedback is anything like the Tempest this is completely different from the P12.
Old 10th April 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mefistophelees ➑️
I haven't tried this extensively but you should be able to replicate the sounds of the P08 on the P12 almost exactly.
I tried with Wagnerian and had the same sound character within seconds. If I had programmed all the velocity and aftertouch settings I doubt I'd be able to tell which was which.

The Mopho X4 architecture is a bit different, IIRC it has dual subs and analogue feedback. If the feedback is anything like the Tempest this is completely different from the P12.
I'm having trouble deciding on which one to sell. I've made a lot of patches for both so they've become very personal. The subs and feedback on X4 really make a difference in the thickness of the sound over the P08. One of them will have to go, I can't see a reason to keep all 3 DSI synths. I'll have the P12 in my hands tomorrow afternoon, very excited.
Deleted 0fc8128
Quote:
Originally Posted by combat medic ➑️
I'm having trouble deciding on which one to sell. I've made a lot of patches for both so they've become very personal. The subs and feedback on X4 really make a difference in the thickness of the sound over the P08. One of them will have to go, I can't see a reason to keep all 3 DSI synths. I'll have the P12 in my hands tomorrow afternoon, very excited.
My feeling is that you will sell them both once you played with the 12!
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Too expensive for what it has. I bought one and returned it for a pc3k, never looked back.
Old 10th April 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
If i weren't lazy, i'd sell all my stuffs (except tempest + minibrute) and get a P12 KB. Then later i'd add an OT and that would be my perfect setup as i see it.
Old 10th April 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I really wanna play with one of theses in person. Still trying to figure out if I should go module or not. I remember not really using my Virus TI since it was in a rack and so far away from the keyboard. I'm still a bit uncertain.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mefistophelees ➑️
I tried with Wagnerian and had the same sound character within seconds.
I think it's pretty obvious that the P12 has digital oscillators, when it plays straight undistorted subtractive. That doesn't mean it isn't cool, but I don't think it can replace the analog P8.
Old 10th April 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Still think a Virus TI is more interesting than the P12.. I am a huge fan of Dave Smith but not a fan of his latest synths.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHayduke ➑️
I think it's pretty obvious that the P12 has digital oscillators, when it plays straight undistorted subtractive. That doesn't mean it isn't cool, but I don't think it can replace the analog P8.
I agree that it doesnt replace a p08. However a lot can be done with the SLOP parameter and programming. You don't have to open up the filter fully. More low end? Use the high pass filter etc.
Old 10th April 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
How are the encoders on the P12? Same crap as on the P08 or better?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdi ➑️
Still think a Virus TI is more interesting than the P12.. I am a huge fan of Dave Smith but not a fan of his latest synths.
Hmm, I used to think the same (big fan if the TI series here); but after spending time with one I have to admit how wrong I was, it's a beautiful instrument; I tweaked it for a while and I was more than impressed; it does have this "otherworldly" character that's hard to describe with words, but it was lush, full and elegant; the keyboard was a joy to play (although I have to say that the Virus' keyboard is better, but hey, it's the Virus we're talking about); it's also more immediate than the Virus family; you'll be modulating a whole bunch of parameters with one another in the 1st 10 minutes. All in all, I think this synth is a very good step in a right direction, NOTHING sounds like it in the market today... Tastes of course are subjective, just sharing my experience and why I disagree...
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by laikenf ➑️
Hmm, I used to think the same (big fan if the TI series here); but after spending time with one I have to admit how wrong I was, it's a beautiful instrument; I tweaked it for a while and I was more than impressed; it does have this "otherworldly" character that's hard to describe with words, but it was lush, full and elegant; the keyboard was a joy to play (although I have to say that the Virus' keyboard is better, but hey, it's the Virus we're talking about); it's also more immediate than the Virus family; you'll be modulating a whole bunch of parameters with one another in the 1st 10 minutes. All in all, I think this synth is a very good step in a right direction, NOTHING sounds like it in the market today... Tastes of course are subjective, just sharing my experience and why I disagree...
Yep, it doesn't sound like the other dsi stuff or anything else out there really
Old 10th April 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
It's a little bit like a Fizmo and a Prophet 08 had a lovechild. A really handsome lovechild, mind. If you've never played one, reserve judgement until you have. It's much, much better than the specsheet warriors would have you think.
Old 11th April 2014 | Show parent
Deleted 0fc8128
Quote:
Originally Posted by XAXAU ➑️
How are the encoders on the P12? Same crap as on the P08 or better?
The encoders are similar to the evolved desktop version, the one that move in steps. It seems that DSI had the problems with the free spinning encoders. At least you can google and see that the evolved desktop encoders are still working strong.

So, my hope is that they will last longer...
Old 11th April 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persemone ➑️
.. It's much, much better than the specsheet warriors would have you think.
Ehh, spec-warriors?

If you mean that some people, like me, says it can't completely stand in for the analog P8, I can tell you that I've owned the P8 and played the P12 in two rather lengthy sessions. So I don't base my opinion on specs.

Otherwise, what specs are you talking about, I didn't know that anyone said that the P12 has poor specs?
Old 11th April 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Hmmm. Maybe you're taking generic internet comment too personally?

The bulk of the naysayers about this synth follow the same lines - digital oscillators, can't be good. This thread alone throws up plenty of examples. Most base their opinion on early youtube videos and knowledge of internal workings, having never turned a knob or played a key of the instrument in question. Male-internet-research, distance-detail-scrutiny, specsheet warriors - these are all well recognised phenomena, hardly like I'm reinventing the wheel here, is it? And for what it's worth, no, wasn't thinking of you at all when I typed that reply.
Old 11th April 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
https://soundcloud.com/thormusikk/phaser/s-YghDR here's a demo for a song out of my next record. everything except the drums and vocals are done with the prophet 12.
Old 12th April 2014
Deleted 8da0dcb
Free Sounds for the P12: http://www.petermmahr.com/dsi-prophe...dset-download/
Old 12th April 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorSouthshire ➑️
https://soundcloud.com/thormusikk/phaser/s-YghDR here's a demo for a song out of my next record. everything except the drums and vocals are done with the prophet 12.
Nice!!!!
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Nice! I will say that there is a bit of homoginy to the arraingement though. I bet an analog bass or bass guitar would make it a bit more dynamic. P12 sounds good though. Very glassy.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 8da0dcb ➑️
Here are 99 free programs for the P12: http://www.petermmahr.com/dsi-prophe...dset-download/
Very gracious, Peter - haven't loaded them up yet but the SoundCloud pages sound excellent. I'll sort my third user bank out as well - there are already about 500 user-shared patches out there in the wild.. maybe over time we can get that up to 5,000!

I think the next step is for Chris to sort us all out with a ROM-overwrite command so we can use all 800 patch locations on the synth for our favourites without being tied to 400 less useful factory patches. Chris says he's working on it!
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing ➑️
Nice! I will say that there is a bit of homoginy to the arraingement though. I bet an analog bass or bass guitar would make it a bit more dynamic. P12 sounds good though. Very glassy.
Thanks! I play with a band so this demo is like before it reaches them. Then there will be acoustuc drums, bass guitar, guitar, flute and trombone as well. Already got some nice slide guitar planned for that last part
Old 14th April 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I've had it for a few days now and I'm completely blown away. After a couple of hours, I began to realize just how deep this thing can go and how very unique it is. One thing that really surprised me was the types of sounds that can come out of single-voice unison mode while modulating the delays. Amazing.
Old 14th April 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
please post some clips: chords, basslines, arpeggio's, pads,... I'm lusting so hard but I need an extra push to have me spend 2.6k on it
Old 14th April 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Some nice development in the song, and you've also brought a very convincingly '80s sound through in the music.

Something very interesting here, because of how convincing it sounds. A lot of mid-1980s synth parts were made by layering analog and FM synths together - basically a kind of "hybrid" process by default. What your demo shows is that, because of the specific character of the P12, and where it falls in the tonal spectrum, it can actually produce something very comparable to that typical production process in a single instrument.
πŸ“ Reply