DSI Prophet 12 - Page 74 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DSI Prophet 12
Old 24th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persemone ➑️
For me, the prophet is exactly what the 21st century needed - a poly which wasn't afraid to step out of the shadow of the past. In a market where purchasing anything in the world is simply a case of hitting eBay, and where Moog monos compete on price with Minibrutes and BassStations and MS20's, and where there are always plenty of cheap working Juno's, I'm glad the Prophet does something wilfully different, goes in it's own direction. Doesn't hurt that it's arguably up there with the finest looking synths ever made, and there isn't a single function buried in submenus (something that began to frustrate on my TI as they added the extra features). WYSIWYG!
^^ this
Old 24th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
the new sounds are the nuts too heh
Old 24th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
oooh! and the OLED display SLEEPS

*cough* I thought it was broken
Old 24th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The original presets seemed a mixture of sparkling and not-so-sparkling to me - interested to hear how the new ones sound.
Old 1st April 2014
Deleted 0fc8128
Looks like there are new demos out.
Old 7th April 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I just bought a P12 this morning. I was wondering if the new soundbanks are loaded into the factory banks leaving the user banks untouched or does it overwrite everything?
Old 7th April 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
They load over the user banks. I'm still waiting for those factory overwriting ones. Or else I'd have to buy the soundtower editor.
Deleted 0fc8128
Quote:
Originally Posted by combat medic ➑️
I just bought a P12 this morning. I was wondering if the new soundbanks are loaded into the factory banks leaving the user banks untouched or does it overwrite everything?
Congratulations!!

The factory banks cannot be overwritten as of now, so everything new goes into the user banks! Since the user and factory banks are initially identical, you won't loose anything. Of course, once you start to overwrite the user programs that you downloaded with your own ones, than you loose them. But you always can load them back.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by raffor ➑️
Congratulations!!
Of course, once you start to overwrite the user programs that you downloaded with your own ones, than you loose them. But you always can load them back.
^^ THIS

If you have edited sounds in your P12, BACK THEM UP BEFORE LOADING THIS SOUNDSET!!

The new sounds are great. A mixture of styles and "genre" sounds. The keyboard and all of its presets are still evocative of just about every favourite record I've loved in the last 30 years

I love this thing

I've been too busy making music to record and upload any of the new sounds but there are demos I think

jake
Deleted 8da0dcb
I love this synth too. It is the best I bought for a while due its flexibility and the fact that it has one of the best workflows.

Prophet 12 Demos: https://soundcloud.com/petermmahr/se...2-cpm-soundset
Old 8th April 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I would like to get an opinion from you guys. I've bought the P12 and it should arrive in the next few days. Since you guys have been using it for a while, do you think I should sell my P08 module or my Mopho X4? It seems a bit pointless to have all three so if you could have two of the three, what would they be?
Deleted 0fc8128
Quote:
I would like to get an opinion from you guys. I've bought the P12 and it should arrive in the next few days. Since you guys have been using it for a while, do you think I should sell my P08 module or my Mopho X4? It seems a bit pointless to have all three so if you could have two of the three, what would they be?
Since you ordered the P12 already, I would just wait and see how you like it. You always can sell at a later point, without having sellers regrets.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
some more demos for y'all:

P12m 002

P12m 001 small demo
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 0fc8128 ➑️
Since you ordered the P12 already, I would just wait and see how you like it. You always can sell at a later point, without having sellers regrets.
Yeah, no sellers regret paying 13% + used price difference.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
No, I think the Prophet 08 sounds like analog. It has a character to it. The P12 sounds like tin, to me. Besides, why buy something if you're going to sell it. I guarantee you haven't even touched the potential of the P08 and probably don't even know what you're doing.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl516 ➑️
some more demos for y'all:

P12m 001 small demo
Some excellent moments there that bring out the very musical character of the machine. Overall they seem to have done a very good job with the new presets.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stallone ➑️
No, I think the Prophet 08 sounds like analog. It has a character to it. The P12 sounds like tin, to me. Besides, why buy something if you're going to sell it. I guarantee you haven't even touched the potential of the P08 and probably don't even know what you're doing.
First, I bought it used and have no intention on selling soon. Second, I love the P08 and am well aware of it's potential. The fact is that I have a move coming up later this year and want to plan. Can I hear some of your music? Since you "know what you're doing and all".
Deleted 0fc8128
Quote:
Yeah, no sellers regret paying 13% + used price difference.
You have to read the thread before hitting your head front on!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 0fc8128 ➑️
You have to read the thread before hitting your head front on!
What, 74 pages, no summary?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
First, I bought it used and have no intention on selling soon. Second, I love the P08 and am well aware of it's potential. The fact is that I have a move coming up later this year and want to plan. Can I hear some of your music? Since you "know what you're doing and all".
sure, crisanmusic on soundcloud, but I didn't use any analog in any of those songs. And it's not electronic either, it's hip hop. Mostly what I make.
Old 8th April 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
It's a fine, characterful, unique sounding synth. It will find fans and detractors in equal measure. Nothing out there sounds quite like it - and whether people like that sound or not, that's to be applauded IMHO.

Nothing more, nothing less.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Yeah, absolutely, but people strutting around saying 'I' dont like it < insert some 'reason' to do with 'digital' in here > , so anybody who does can't know stuff or whatever is just so bogus. To much of that round here.

Synths man....its all good!
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
sure, crisanmusic on soundcloud, but I didn't use any analog in any of those songs. And it's not electronic either, it's hip hop. Mostly what I make.
Yeah, we def have different tastes in music.
Old 9th April 2014
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Persemone
I'm actually between the admirers, but lately I've been pulling myself away from it... the reason is simple: you can get more with an Ambika from Mutable Instruments. Sure, the DIY thing isn't for everyone, but the sounds that come out of that thing are simply out of this world, and I never heard something similar on the Prophet 12. The P12 was on my gearlist for this year, but after getting more familiar with the Ambika I'm pretty sure that I'll get it.

I think that if the P12 was a little cheaper (imagine P08 range), it would sell tons! Sound-wise, I still enjoy the P12, but having the P08, I really don't think that the P12 will add a lot to my gear compared to an Ambika (maybe even 2 units, to get a 12 voice - fully divided voice polyphony, able to even use it as 12 monosynths - monster synth).

The P12 seems very good to make modern soundtrack sounds and music and I'm sure that one day I won't hold my GAS. Now, all I can think is an Ambika!
Old 9th April 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr73645 ➑️
Persemone
I'm actually between the admirers, but lately I've been pulling myself away from it... the reason is simple: you can get more with an Ambika from Mutable Instruments. Sure, the DIY thing isn't for everyone, but the sounds that come out of that thing are simply out of this world, and I never heard something similar on the Prophet 12. The P12 was on my gearlist for this year, but after getting more familiar with the Ambika I'm pretty sure that I'll get it.

I think that if the P12 was a little cheaper (imagine P08 range), it would sell tons! Sound-wise, I still enjoy the P12, but having the P08, I really don't think that the P12 will add a lot to my gear compared to an Ambika (maybe even 2 units, to get a 12 voice - fully divided voice polyphony, able to even use it as 12 monosynths - monster synth).

The P12 seems very good to make modern soundtrack sounds and music and I'm sure that one day I won't hold my GAS. Now, all I can think is an Ambika!
I have both the P12 and the Ambika and you are wrong. The Ambika is more limited. It has 2 Oscs + sub pr voice. P12 has 4 Oscs + sub pr voice. Ambika has 3 envelopes vs P12s 4 Envelops which also has looping capability. The Ambika has more oscillator waveforms but many of them are the same. I also think the P12 has a more complex mod matrix. The only thing the Amibka has that the P12 doesn't have is the sequencer.

And don't rule out the user interface. While the interface on Ambika is OK, the P12 interface and gorgeous OLED display showing the envelope curves, waveforms etc is a whole other league.

Dont get me wrong, I really like the Ambika, but it doesn't replace my P12 and would be the first to go if I had to choose between them.
Old 9th April 2014
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Deepcore
Thank you for the answer. In the end, it's a matter of taste. I wasn't comparing both based on specifications... I don't think that's a wise move. And more... being a module, we have to compare the UI with a P12m and not the full sized version. To me, both sound and interface on the Ambika wins. But that's my opinion. Cheers!
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr73645 ➑️
Deepcore
Thank you for the answer. In the end, it's a matter of taste. I wasn't comparing both based on specifications... I don't think that's a wise move. And more... being a module, we have to compare the UI with a P12m and not the full sized version. To me, both sound and interface on the Ambika wins. But that's my opinion. Cheers!
Sure its a matter of taste and what you need. The sound is what counts, and the sound comes from the specifications. So either way you look at it (the sounds or the specs) the P12 can do more complex stuff than the Ambika. Whether that is something that you like or need is a different thing, but you have to take that into consideration when comparing both of the synths.

On the sound character side, I find that the P12 can sound a lot smoother than the Ambika if you want it to. The oscillators has a lot less aliasing than the Ambika (which is a big part of the Ambikas character).

I haven't tested the interface on the P12m myself, so I can't comment on that compared to the Ambika but it has the same OLED display as the keyboard.
Old 9th April 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
cr73645, I would be interested unknowing how the Ambika wins on the interface, just looking at the manuals it seems the P12M looks better to me.
Old 9th April 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I really like my P8, but its reliability has been spotty - potentiometers that jump values, the left/right audio balance is off and I had to replace a board that failed ... all in a machine that sees light studio duty. To be fair, DSI has a fix for all these things and were easy to deal with when I replaced the board, but I'd have a bit of pause considering a DSI 12 as a long-term investment, given the entry price. Looks like a nice piece of gear though.

Also, to be fair, I had to go through three Korg Oasys units before I got one that didn't fail completely, repeatedly - going on 8 years now with fingers crossed.
Deleted c1b33bf
I found my Prophet 8 gave me a slight edge over software but not much. After the novelty wore off I sold it pretty quick.
When I bought it I remember thinking 'why is this kid selling it when it has just come out and all he has left is a Poly61?'
I haven't tried the Prophet 12 but would be interested to try it out for a week or so.
πŸ“ Reply