DSI Prophet 12 - Page 73 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DSI Prophet 12
Old 4th February 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 0fc8128 ➡️
The presets are a big turn off. Everytime I step through them I think how awful and distorted everything sounds. The P12 is definitely a sound chameleon and can go different directions. I would not bother getting a P08 and go straight for the P12. If you really need analog get something with VCOs instead.
Well, if it is an either or question then yes definitely the p12 and a more raw analogue synth. However, the p08 is a fine instrument in itself and I really like it. I had it before I bought the p12 and am not considering selling it - it holds it's own very we'll in the music I make.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The presets are a big turn off.
To be honest, I think this is a good thing. For me. When a synth has killer presets, it's kind of a stumbling block, as I want to keep them there, and then they can begin to affect my attitude towards the synth and the programs I make. KORG is particularly bad in this regard, as Jack Hotop and the other guys making patches for their synths and workstations are just so darn cool. Darn them and their talent.

So lame "modern" patches are kind of a boon for me, as it encourages me to make a lot of patches, and dig in and learn the ins and outs of the synth. So hopefully before I finally get mine, no one at DSI makes an awesome set of vintage banks for it.
Deleted 0fc8128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxis ➡️
Well, if it is an either or question then yes definitely the p12 and a more raw analogue synth. However, the p08 is a fine instrument in itself and I really like it. I had it before I bought the p12 and am not considering selling it - it holds it's own very we'll in the music I make.
Nothing against the P08 and in your particular case I would keep it as well, since you like the instrument and have done lots of work on it. However, if I had the chance to buy two synths, I would not choose the P08 and the P12. I personally would take the P12 because it covers a larger spectrum and get something different, maybe a VCO based synth or fully digital, maybe something multitimbral.
Deleted 0fc8128
Quote:
Originally Posted by synthguy ➡️
To be honest, I think this is a good thing. For me. When a synth has killer presets, it's kind of a stumbling block, as I want to keep them there, and then they can begin to affect my attitude towards the synth and the programs I make. KORG is particularly bad in this regard, as Jack Hotop and the other guys making patches for their synths and workstations are just so darn cool. Darn them and their talent.

So lame "modern" patches are kind of a boon for me, as it encourages me to make a lot of patches, and dig in and learn the ins and outs of the synth. So hopefully before I finally get mine, no one at DSI makes an awesome set of vintage banks for it.
I would disagree. I think presets should show a good spectrum of the capabilities of the instrument and yes, it also should contain standard sounds. What DSI put into the P12 is all stuff that is not easily done by any other instrument, and I understand that they wanted to show what the synth is capable off. But in the end they are missing out on the many facets of sounds the P12 is capable of. It doesn't have to be distortion every time, there is so much more in the machine.

Not everybody wants to program their own sounds from scratch and needs a basis of useful sounds. I think the P12 is lacking in that regard greatly.
Old 9th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I´ve yet to hear a single patch that sounds like the 08. I just love the brassy, biting and soaring tone of the 08 and the 12 just can´t seem to get there.

However it CAN make lots of great noise and this sound @ 20:09 is THE best sound I´ve heard the P12 make and it´s really giving me the bumps! https://soundcloud.com/jonas-j-sjostrom ... o-snippets
Old 9th February 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
New OS adds some nice features. I wish every knob was able to be routed in the modulation matrix...still missing some. I also agree the presets are rubbish. I always start from a basic patch.

Edit: Even newer OS now out.

Main OS 1.0.3.0

Production candidate
Fixed bug: Several bugs relating to hung notes and/or hold states with the arp and multi mode state transitions
Fixed bug: Voice stealing issue
Fixed bug: Several small bugs with lock notes playback
Fixed bug: Some MIDI messages not responding correctly while Multi on
Added some visual indication to help understand what 'Capture Arp' is doing: now the text only appears if you have notes held or an arp playing back
Old 10th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Of course the presets suck they changed the triangle wave
Old 10th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Old 11th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Another demo - his playing is terrible but the beats sound pretty good. Are these presets he's surfing through, or custom patches? One of them, at 4:33, sounds straight off a Com Truise album.

Old 12th February 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
The p12 is perfect for BOC/Com Truise sounds, give the slop parameter per oscillator and the two aux envelopes.

FWIW, I've uploaded a second bank of 99 presets to the DSI forum.
Old 12th February 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persemone ➡️
The p12 is perfect for BOC/Com Truise sounds, give the slop parameter per oscillator and the two aux envelopes.
Do those particular sounds in the video ship onboard?
Old 14th February 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The presets are a big turn off. Everytime I step through them I think how awful and distorted everything sounds. The P12 is definitely a sound chameleon and can go different directions. I would not bother getting a P08 and go straight for the P12. If you really need analog get something with VCOs instead.
I asked for permission to mention this yesterday...
DSI is about to release a massively reworked sound set for the P12. I contributed about 90 new presets and personally reworked almost every remaining original factory sound (less than half of the originals remain), and the rest are contributions from Kevin Lamb, Howard Scarr, Robert Rich, Robert Henke, and John Lehmkuhl. The new sounds are shipping on the desktop module already, and on new production of P12s. I've been told that the new sound set will be posted in a couple of weeks--I will post a link when they're up.
Drew Neumann
Old 14th February 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Excellent. Now I'd like to flash the ROM with banks of my choosing, Access-style. It can certainly be done, can it be done here?

For what it's worth, I have 2 full banks of 99 on the DSI forum and I'd love to hear more - upload your sounds!
Old 15th February 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveFromKyoto ➡️
Do those particular sounds in the video ship onboard?
The one at 4.33 definitely does, and I seem to recognize some of the others as well so I would say most of the sounds are presets or slightly tweaked presets.

I am really looking forward to the new sounds though as the most of the presets are pretty bland. Which I find very surprising as the P12 is an absolute joy to program and can get into analogue-ish, warm, fat territory quite quickly. So it is interesting that few of the sound designers went there...

Edit: Or well, I should add that yes the patches I recognized DID ship on the original board but if the sound set has changed and new production P12s get the new sounds then...they may not. I am sure they are still downloadable though.
Old 15th February 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persemone ➡️
Excellent. Now I'd like to flash the ROM with banks of my choosing, Access-style. It can certainly be done, can it be done here?

For what it's worth, I have 2 full banks of 99 on the DSI forum and I'd love to hear more - upload your sounds!

I would put mine up once I get it home, I got some old prophet and moog sounding ones. But it's raining, and there's no one to drive. Do I need to buy the soundtower editor to get the patches out of the synth and organize them in a sensible way?
Old 16th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
too many pages to check through here-. how are the envelopes on the synth? better than the p08? does it deliver quick times for bass programming? i really like the concept but havent found many demos that impressed me tone wise. never cared for the dsi filter sound as well but hoping that thew new hybrid format helped with this....
Old 17th February 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drooo ➡️
I asked for permission to mention this yesterday...
DSI is about to release a massively reworked sound set for the P12. I contributed about 90 new presets and personally reworked almost every remaining original factory sound (less than half of the originals remain), and the rest are contributions from Kevin Lamb, Howard Scarr, Robert Rich, Robert Henke, and John Lehmkuhl. The new sounds are shipping on the desktop module already, and on new production of P12s. I've been told that the new sound set will be posted in a couple of weeks--I will post a link when they're up.
Drew Neumann
Dave said that it would contain a bunch of bread and butter classic analog sounds. Have you done any of these?

I'm worried that the 12 can't compete with the Prophet 08 in that department. After spending time programming it, what's your opinion on that?
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by XAXAU ➡️
Dave said that it would contain a bunch of bread and butter classic analog sounds. Have you done any of these?

I'm worried that the 12 can't compete with the Prophet 08 in that department. After spending time programming it, what's your opinion on that?
Well, I think it's going to be up to the end-user to decide if the sounds are the right kind of bread and butter for what they like to do--but I did intentionally put a bunch of good starting point templates for dialing those kinds of sounds up. Even "It's a Prophet" has been goosed.

There are also sounds that use the entire matrix, so it covers pretty much the range of what the instrument can do. I made sure there were a good number of wide stereo imaged sounds in there as well.

I hope you enjoy them. A lot of good folks put in a lot of hours doing very detailed programming work.

Tip--all of them have something on B, so try turning that on if it isn't already on--you might find some interesting surprises.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorSouthshire ➡️
I would put mine up once I get it home, I got some old prophet and moog sounding ones. But it's raining, and there's no one to drive. Do I need to buy the soundtower editor to get the patches out of the synth and organize them in a sensible way?
You'll need soundtower if you want to move them around, but you can just do a dump using Sysex Librarian from Snoize.
s n o i z e : SysEx Librarian
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years

just a few of the basses I'm into, all my P12 patches. I'm into noise, saturation, grimy sounds at the moment so remember all my stuff is not necessarily representative of what the Prophet can do! All hand played, no MIDI, just a little bit rough, only a little bus comp to avoid monitor spikes at the listener end. No effects other than the inbuilt delays.

Likewise, because it was on the other thread, here are a few of my recent lead patches, same rough hand playing:

just a lovely synth, and I feel like I'm really getting to know it bit by bit. A keeper, because anything less and it's still to be learned. I regret the rash decision to sell my Evolver, but the P12 does more. I've had this seven months and I've still only scratched the surface of its capabilities!
Old 15th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Sounds analog enough to me:

SEED78
thats a really nice demo!
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 ➡️
thats a really nice demo!
It's the demo that sold me. Composed by a German, I believe. Between this demo and Hayeye's demos ( which show a lot of Q+ flavored patches ) I agree with Dave Smith's statement that this is his best synth. Always tried to like his other synths but could never quite get myself to buy one. This one's a keeper !!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell r. ➡️
maisonvague, is that you? With a beard? heh

I'll have to say that in a way, I'm disappointed that the P-12 is getting banks of all new sounds, including vintage synth style patches. The reason being that I kind of like it when a synth has carptastic sounds, It drives me to create my own soundsets for it and make it "my" instrument. Still, this thing is as complex as the Virus and Radias, so seeing what others are doing with it and gems in the architecture will be instructive, if and when I finally get my hands on one.
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
The recurring theme round the internet seems to go 'digital oscs, meh' then 'oh, I just played one for longer than fifteen minutes and actually it's awesome' or something similar! I still agree that this needs comparing to a Virus rather than a Jupiter - it's a modern sound, lots of attitude and little concessions. In fact, anyone who ever wishes the Virus could do a little more aggressive, a little less 'safe', a little less digital should try a prophet 12 to see, it'd be right up their alley sound wise. I have a third preset bank in progress with plenty of brassy and 80's poly sounds, even if they're not that close to the originals I'm convinced this can emulate the spirit of the past with the best of them. There's only so much sonic mileage in a Juno or OB and I bore easily of a limited palette of possibilities, and most of the time if I need a Taurus bass I hit up Trilian or Kontakt (although I could pop a Minitaur in the mix for a few hundred if I really needed one aplenty).

For me, the prophet is exactly what the 21st century needed - a poly which wasn't afraid to step out of the shadow of the past. In a market where purchasing anything in the world is simply a case of hitting eBay, and where Moog monos compete on price with Minibrutes and BassStations and MS20's, and where there are always plenty of cheap working Juno's, I'm glad the Prophet does something wilfully different, goes in it's own direction. Doesn't hurt that it's arguably up there with the finest looking synths ever made, and there isn't a single function buried in submenus (something that began to frustrate on my TI as they added the extra features). WYSIWYG!
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the P12 at least dips it toe into Q+ territory.
Always loved the Q+ but reluctant to buy an unsupported machine. It seems the P12 has a lot of it's flavor; the architecture is (somewhat) similar also.

Heres some interesting patches:

Old 24th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Does anyone have any demos of the new soundbanks ?
Old 24th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
P12 sounds are posted at DSI

I've been told that the sounds are up now--free download, grab them and use them!
Dave Smith Instruments :: Prophet 12 Polyphonic Synthesizer.

Enjoy!
Old 24th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I have them downloading into the P12 as I write! I'm hoping the 1.1.1 OS update will fix my Logic X/SoundTower disconnect issue, whereby as soon as I open Logic, the ST editor disconnects from the P12
Old 24th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensorfold ➡️
Sounds analog enough to me:

It has that 1980's John Carpenter flavour in a good way.
📝 Reply