Quantcast
DSI Prophet 12 - Page 72 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DSI Prophet 12
Old 25th December 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Lol, and he was only tweaking presets. It can do aggressive. It can do analogue style. It can do soft. I said before is a chameleon. I want to get more into the delay lines because you can get some reverb and flange with the right delay settings
Old 30th December 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniDX ➑️
holy jeebus!

I bashed the P12 a lot so far, i regret it now. I should have bashed the demo-makers instead

Ujie proves me wrong, this synth can actually sound great.
best demo yet.
Old 30th December 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Still dont care for the harsh sound of this synth at all.

Its a hybrid synth because the filters and envelopes are analog. (Though they dont really cut through as analog on the P12). If it was all digital, then it would fall under VA. Wave 2.3, DSS-1 or Prophet VS are all similarly hybrid.
Old 30th December 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Poly Evolver II 8 voice in a similar form factor to the mono evolver/mono keyboard please.
Old 30th December 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Personally I think the reason that demo's so good is that all the big sustained notes bring out the body and size of the p12 sound. It comes out most strongly if you play sustained notes, and even more big sustained chords. If anyone doubts that, check Katsunori's parallell andromeda video for comparison. The p12 actually has more body.
Old 31st December 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
i have a poly evolver . i like the new prophet 12 module .

should i buy it or not ?
Old 31st December 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
i have a poly evolver . i like the new prophet 12 module .

should i buy it or not ?
Old 31st December 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
why not ?
Old 31st December 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
cool demo...just my opinion.

Old 31st December 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
There was a demo of someone showing their first 100 homemade presets some time back. There's no doubt this synth sounds fantastic, judging from everything I've heard so far.
Old 2nd January 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan ➑️
There was a demo of someone showing their first 100 homemade presets some time back. There's no doubt this synth sounds fantastic, judging from everything I've heard so far.
here it is:

Old 6th January 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bits ➑️
As a fellow P12 owner, I can't fault your choice. But your reasoning?

I'm sure you could've bought a mega-fantastic MIDI interface with the money you would've saved had you gone for the P8...
I didn't really need much of a nudge towards the P12. Really any excuse would do... practical or not.
Old 6th January 2014 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippinginthefal ➑️
I didn't really need much of a nudge towards the P12. Really any excuse would do... practical or not.
I've just noticed your signature. I have exactly the same setup. Sub Phatty, Prophet 12, Ableton 9 and Push. I went with the 5" Yamahas and sub-woofer though. I have a half-decent Firewire MIDI interface. A Roland/Edirol FA-66. I just need to make room to set my lot up permanently.
Old 6th January 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
guys why in some reviews say that PROPHET 12 has bad low end ? not good for bass sounds etc . . . .

is it true ? is it possible ? it has 5 oscs , it is so deep that you can do everything , its a monster .

anyone ?
Old 6th January 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
guys why in some reviews say that PROPHET 12 has bad low end ? not good for bass sounds etc . . . .

is it true ? is it possible ? it has 5 oscs , it is so deep that you can do everything , its a monster .

anyone ?
Old 7th January 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
You won't hear any lack of bottom end there :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris ➑️
Finally a proper demo.

?DEMO?Dave Smith Instruments Prophet12 - YouTube

This synth sounds phenomenal!!!
Old 7th January 2014
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Λ†
Still getting lack of bottom... didn't really enjoy this demo, although you can see some of the P12's highlights.
Old 7th January 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by themasterdragon ➑️

is it true ?
Some of the statements about the P12 are just bizarre and this is one of them.
Subby bass, Deep bass, dirty or even filthy basses are no problem at all.
Old 11th January 2014 | Show parent
ozy
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by themasterdragon ➑️
guys why in some reviews say that PROPHET 12 has bad low end ? not good for bass sounds etc . . . . is it true ? is it possible ? it has 5 oscs , it is so deep that you can do everything , its a monster . anyone ?

of course it is true!

It is possible, then it is automatically true.

It is digital, then it has no low end.

If it was pure analogue, it would sound a bit dark but warm.

Since it is digital, it is bright and sparkly, sometimes harsh in a pleasant way, but can't do no bass.

This is the internet, remember.

Facts are irrelevant, opinions are cheap, and grey scales (not to mention colours) are for interior decorators
Old 11th January 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Exactly. My session lastnight was amazing. Just playing and playing, never ending the same sound twice, going places a simpler synth couldn't. Layer it with a plugin such as Omnisphere or massive and you can hear the VCA and VCF adding sparkle and life to the sounds. There's a character and a presence alright, and it's just a joy to look at, touch and play.

Then, of course, I hit the internet where a number of people who don't own one told me it had oscillators which were beamed directly from government bunkers via ISDN, and that being secondhand electrons they stood out like Monterey Jack in a sea of Brie and Cranberry. Evidently there's no ladder in there either, which will become a pain when I try and clean the upstairs windows for sure.

Interestingly, we had a power outage the other night, and the prophet 12 sounded exactly like my analogues did. So much for hybrid, eh? I thought these things were meant to be efficient....
Old 11th January 2014 | Show parent
Deleted 0fc8128
Os 1.0.2.11

There is a new OS for the P12 on the DSI forum posted:

Main OS 1.0.2.11
WARNING: If loading OS via USB from OS 1.0, the first 4 programs will be overwritten due to a boundary check error. This does not occur if you're loading from OS 1.0.1.2 or higher
Added filter to each delay line, selectable between highpass and lowpass filters
Added delay parameter to each delay line
Osc Slop to all oscillators is now a mod destination
Added lock arp functionality:
In the arp screen, holding an arp and turning lock notes to 'Normal' saves the arp in the locked arp params
While an arp is locked, pressing a key transposes the arp to that note using the first note in the locked arp as the 'root' note: so if you record an arp of C4, E4, G4 and then press F5, the arp will play back F5, A5, C5
While locked arp is on, in the arp screen pressing the 4th soft button labelled 'Edit Arp' brings up a screen where you can edit the locked values of the arp
Multi mode added
MIDI channels can be set in the global param screen, with layer B being the next channel after the master MIDI channel
Multi works slightly differently in the P12 than our older instruments: when you use MIDI and a preset is stacked, it will only play the voice you want to play over MIDI... so in this way you could use the P12 keyboard to play a stacked sound, or use a MIDI keyboard to play a single layer
When multi is on and the P12 is not in stack or split mode, playing from the keyboard is locked to 6 voices per layer
Poly Aftertouch over MIDI implemented, uses aftertouch mod destination to control individual note mod behavior
Several tweaks to the oscillators to make them more smooth/consistent
Fixed bug: Some program buttons active in global screen causing odd behavior with soft encoders
Fixed bug: Tap tempo always setting tempo on 5th hit, not timing out as it should
Fixed bug: Some cases where artifacts and/or clicking occurs when modulating the delay params with LFOs or other mods
Fixed bug: Some cases where hung notes could occur when layer A/B triggered and modes changed

Edit: looks like we got a little 32 step sequencer with pitch and velocity for now.
Old 12th January 2014 | Show parent
ozy
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by raffor ➑️

Added filter to each delay line, selectable between highpass and lowpass filters

Added delay parameter to each delay line

Osc Slop to all oscillators is now a mod destination

Multi mode added

Poly Aftertouch over MIDI implemented,
Old 25th January 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persemone ➑️
Then, of course, I hit the internet where a number of people who don't own one told me it had oscillators which were beamed directly from government bunkers via ISDN, and that being secondhand electrons they stood out like Monterey Jack in a sea of Brie and Cranberry. Evidently there's no ladder in there either, which will become a pain when I try and clean the upstairs windows.
Old 4th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sorry for asking this stupid question but can the Prophet 12 sound like a Prophet 08?

Love the sound of the 08 but the features and programmability of the 12 is exactly what I want in a synth.

I mean the only difference is DCO vs DO, the rest of the analog path is similar right?
Old 4th February 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persemone ➑️
Exactly. My session lastnight was amazing. Just playing and playing, never ending the same sound twice, going places a simpler synth couldn't. Layer it with a plugin such as Omnisphere or massive and you can hear the VCA and VCF adding sparkle and life to the sounds. There's a character and a presence alright, and it's just a joy to look at, touch and play.

Then, of course, I hit the internet where a number of people who don't own one told me it had oscillators which were beamed directly from government bunkers via ISDN, and that being secondhand electrons they stood out like Monterey Jack in a sea of Brie and Cranberry. Evidently there's no ladder in there either, which will become a pain when I try and clean the upstairs windows for sure.

Interestingly, we had a power outage the other night, and the prophet 12 sounded exactly like my analogues did. So much for hybrid, eh? I thought these things were meant to be efficient....
Every time I play the Prophet 12 I giggle and play in amazement at its sonic delights and feel like i'm at the command of a star cruiser in hyperspace.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by XAXAU ➑️
Sorry for asking this stupid question but can the Prophet 12 sound like a Prophet 08?
Sort of.
But IMHO they sound different enough that I have both of them and do not consider it to be unnecessary.

The P08 does sound more raw and has more inherent analogue character (doh), and while you can certainly get the P12 in the ballpark and get it to sound pleasantly analogue, it is not the same.

I find both synths equally easy to work with and both are inspiring and fun to use. I think what you have before should dictate your choice. If you really do want a truly analogue synth you should pick the P08. Otherwise the P12 is the way to go as it is so much more flexible.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlazmaCritterz ➑️
Every time I play the Prophet 12 I giggle and play in amazement at its sonic delights and feel like i'm at the command of a star cruiser in hyperspace.
Agreed! And what still amazes me is how quickly I can get to the sound I hear in my head. It is just SO fast to work with. Love it!
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxis ➑️
Sort of.
But IMHO they sound different enough that I have both of them and do not consider it to be unnecessary.

The P08 does sound more raw and has more inherent analogue character (doh), and while you can certainly get the P12 in the ballpark and get it to sound pleasantly analogue, it is not the same.

I find both synths equally easy to work with and both are inspiring and fun to use. I think what you have before should dictate your choice. If you really do want a truly analogue synth you should pick the P08. Otherwise the P12 is the way to go as it is so much more flexible.
If you work a bit with distortion, feedback and A B layering of similar sounds you can get even closer, as much as I wouldn't bother having both. I recently even managed to make a big fat moogish bass sound using this, unlike anything else in the synth.

I wonder why they didn't make any analog sounding presets for it, seeing as it's not that hard to do.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxis ➑️
Agreed! And what still amazes me is how quickly I can get to the sound I hear in my head. It is just SO fast to work with. Love it!
stop annoying me with gas inducements thanks
Deleted 0fc8128
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorSouthshire ➑️
I wonder why they didn't make any analog sounding presets for it, seeing as it's not that hard to do.
The presets are a big turn off. Everytime I step through them I think how awful and distorted everything sounds. The P12 is definitely a sound chameleon and can go different directions. I would not bother getting a P08 and go straight for the P12. If you really need analog get something with VCOs instead.
πŸ“ Reply