Quantcast
DSI Prophet 12 - Page 71 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DSI Prophet 12
Old 24th November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
How does that work ? He seems to play it like a piano.
Old 25th November 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell r. ➑️
How does that work ? He seems to play it like a piano.
LinnStrument Preview shows an earlier prototype, but I bet most of the description (in particular "3-D note expression") is still applicable.
Old 10th December 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
i'm only 2 mins in but thought people would like this

EDIT: meh...

EDIT2: mehhhhh nope
Old 10th December 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevism ➑️
i'm only 2 mins in but thought people would like this

EDIT: meh...

EDIT2: mehhhhh nope
Did they hire Tycho and Com Truise to do the factory presets? Neat video though, sounded better than I though, and the playing is decent (though there's a penchant for 7th chords).
Old 10th December 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer ➑️
Did they hire Tycho and Com Truise to do the factory presets? Neat video though, sounded better than I though, and the playing is decent (though there's a penchant for 7th chords).
lol yeah i thought it sounded alot like Com Truise at some parts, mostly between 0:39-1:30 and 4:33-5:30

i definitely think the sounds were pretty good and a good example of what the instrument is capable, i just wish there had been more variety and less mistakes (mostly later on) . would've been nice if they edited it a bit more just to make it awesome, a la jexus stuff.

regardless, i feel like the prophet 12 is an epic flagship
Old 11th December 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
looks like you guys may be on to something ..there is actually a preset named "Top Gun VHS"
Old 11th December 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years

Old 11th December 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years

Old 13th December 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
So the classic waveforms (square, pulse, saw) are really digital right? So no DCO's here? DSI is really vague about this.
Old 13th December 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizeh12 ➑️
So the classic waveforms (square, pulse, saw) are really digital right? So no DCO's here? DSI is really vague about this.
i don't think they're vague at all. go to Dave Smith Instruments :: Prophet 12 Polyphonic Synthesizer.

Quote:
The Prophet 12's brand new hybrid voice has a digital front end followed by an all analog signal path output. Each voice has five high resolution digital oscillators, a digital character effects section, a resonant Curtis low-pass filter, a high-pass filter, a tune-able feedback circuit, a four-tap delay line with feedback per line, four loopable five-stage envelope generators, four syncable LFOs with slew and phase offset, a sophisticated arpeggiator, and a sixteen slot modulation matrix with 26 mod sources and 97 modulation destinations. The Prophet 12 is packed with a plethora of sonic potential and power!
emphasis added.

digital oscillator digitally-controlled oscillator
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
i don't think they're vague at all. go to Dave Smith Instruments :: Prophet 12 Polyphonic Synthesizer.

emphasis added.

Its a matter of semantics to me. They call it a hybrid synth while to me it's just a VA with some analog amp and filter routing. They never marketed the Prophet VS as a hybrid synth. Not that its bad or anything ( i don't equate digital with bad and analog with good) but it does put things in to perspective.

I do have the budgtet but to be honest, in the days of totally disposable plugins i'm a little reluctant to cough up more than 2500$ for a dsp synth with some analog circuitry. How will a prophet 12 compare to a plugin like Dcam or FM8 true an eventide h3000 and a moog mf101 filter?
The plugin->hardware option will cost half the price of a prophet 12 but will give a lot more options.
Old 13th December 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
i think that's probably because the VS was much more about the vector synthesis aspect of it (haha obviously, hence the name). while it was technically a hybrid they also wanted to showcase that aspect of it moreso.

now in 2013 we have an analog resurgence. they're trying to come off as offering the best of both worlds. the marketing makes sense.

it's really not a VA because that name implies that everything is being emulated, filter included. for me i never really thought there was a problem with digital oscillators either on hardware or virtual oscillators on a plug-in. it's the fake filters that i usually find to stick out like a sore thumb. resonance (from my light understanding of dsp) is much harder to accurately model without sounding too stiff/cold/dull/boring/steppy, while an oscillator is usually definable as a simple function. variations on simple functions to simulate the nuances of an osc are much easier and straightforward than how a filter should act on a literally infinite amount of possibilities. analog handles this simply, digital not so much.

i think this is why the shruthi and ambika have such an awesome sound. the analog filter makes a huge difference

tl;dr

it all comes down to how much you like the DSI filter sound. personally i think it's worth it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

emphasis added.

And it goes on, on the rest of the paragraph:

Quote:
The digital oscillators can be frequency and amplitude modulated by each other with incredible accuracy. They can be freely assigned in whatever operator and modulator configurations you would choose. You can even assign each of the oscillators to modulate LFOs, envelopes, and filters.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
How will a prophet 12 compare to a plugin like Dcam or FM8 true an eventide h3000 and a moog mf101 filter?
The plugin->hardware option will cost half the price of a prophet 12 but will give a lot more options.
The first things that come to mind:
- The prophet (kb) has a nicely integrated physical interface. Your suggested "alternative" doesn't. You are talking about the keyboard version right?
- The P12 has 12 LP and 12 HP filters, the MF101 is only 1 LP filter.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
I do have the budget but to be honest, in the days of totally disposable plugins i'm a little reluctant to cough up more than 2500$ for a dsp synth with some analog circuitry.
You're thinking about things too hard, male-internet-research style. Stop worrying about what's inside a box you'll likely never open.

Instead, consider the bigger package; the build, the interface, the tactile feedback, and above all the sound.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persemone ➑️
You're thinking about things too hard, male-internet-research style. Stop worrying about what's inside a box you'll likely never open.

Instead, consider the bigger package; the build, the interface, the tactile feedback, and above all the sound.
Yeah, this. A hardware synth that is usable within a few seconds of powering up with a dedicated tactile control surface that sounds great is what you pay for here.
Old 17th December 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I posted a diy studio desk over in the build forum that stemmed from obtaining my P12. It needed a place to call home, so I built one,,lol.

Thought I'd share.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/photo...d-p12-too.html
Old 18th December 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by adydub ➑️
Yeah, this. A hardware synth that is usable within a few seconds of powering up with a dedicated tactile control surface that sounds great is what you pay for here.
In my very very personal opinion, this is the reason i always look to hardware first. True, plug-ins and such are cheaper, and can have more versatility, but i more often than not, there are days where i dont want to turn on my computer to make music, i want to turn on a synth or groovebox and make music, even more when its a keyboard synth. Turn on, press a key, twist a knob, hear a change, tweak again, press the key again, like the sound, turn a little more and then play for the rest of the day (or save the patch and make another one to play).

That i have to look a screen still? Dont matter much, after a while im certain i can know my way around by feel and memory and not have to look at the screen (with a well laid out interface, which the P-12 has).

Anyway, enough of this, back to topic!
Old 18th December 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Just got my Prophet 12 today. Man, those presets are the worst ever put on a synth. Started making my own sounds and feel this is the best interface on a digital/analog hybrid synth I've ever used. The Prophet 12 can sound very analog if you dial down the feedback delays, tone shapers and pick the analog waveforms. The slop on each oscillator does a great job of unstabilizing the tuning and works better than on prior DSI synths. This synth is a keeper!
Old 18th December 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Neber played with the Prophet 12, but I think that the presets were trying to show how "supersaw" it can sound. It's just stupid... heard several demos and really liked some of them. People trolling about it never even played one, and most likely are hoping for a 1000 bucks JP-8 re-issue. I'm not entirely sure, but I guess that if I wanted a new synth, the 12 would be one of my choices. Cheers!
Old 18th December 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
The interface is up there with the very best. No shift key, no real submenus (the odd second page in the OLED for the less used stuff is the exception). The 'hold a button to activate a common group' idea is incredibly straightforward for oscs/LFOs and delays, and perfect in use. No fewer than six performance controls with the left hand (MW, PB, 2sliders and 2 pressure switches in addition to right hand aftertouch). The mod matrix source-dest one finger selection is the easiest I've ever used when combined with the OLED sorting options.

It sounds amazing, alive, raw and pulsing. It's an inspirational device to look at and to play. But it doesn't sound like a Moog and inside the internet tells me there's electrical things inside rather than a chorus of small mice plucking various strings when directed. This is plainly cheating and I feel dirty using it now. Should I sell it?
Old 18th December 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
If i had to pick one ... yes, if someone forced me to pick whatever synth i wanted, then the P12 would be it..

(are you listening Santa?! or is it Apollo i should aim my worship at? )
Old 19th December 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Its a matter of semantics to me. They call it a hybrid synth while to me it's just a VA with some analog amp and filter routing.
It's not a VA at all, it's just digital oscillators into analog filters. Of course the modulators are digital as in plenty of "analog" synths starting way back in the swinging 80s.

Then again, most of the arguing here at GS is over semantics so think whatever you like

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmic.synth ➑️
Man, those presets are the worst ever put on a synth.
Check out a Poly 800 sometime
Old 23rd December 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
So I listened to the Prophet 08 and Prophet 12 side by side and tried to convince myself to get the 8... ended up taking home the 12. I am still in shock... but I can say so far... that it has a lot of body. The 8 actually started to grow on me, but alas... I had no midi interface... and I had to choose between old tech and new.

Old 23rd December 2013 | Show parent

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
There's a cool module version available now:

Introducing the Prophet 12 Module - YouTube
Old 24th December 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippinginthefal ➑️
So I listened to the Prophet 08 and Prophet 12 side by side and tried to convince myself to get the 8... ended up taking home the 12.
As a fellow P12 owner, I can't fault your choice. But your reasoning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippinginthefal ➑️
...The 8 actually started to grow on me, but alas... I had no midi interface...
I'm sure you could've bought a mega-fantastic MIDI interface with the money you would've saved had you gone for the P8...
Old 25th December 2013 | Show parent
ozy
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Its a matter of semantics to me. They call it a hybrid synth while to me it's just a VA
oh, the damage made by three generations of professor who have been teaching that words' meaning is just a matter of personal taste...

Quote:
in the days of totally disposable plugins
and still, words have a way of avenging themselves:

"disposable" means

"intended to be thrown away".

There, you unwittingly got a point

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Finally a proper demo.

?DEMO?Dave Smith Instruments Prophet12 - YouTube

This synth sounds phenomenal!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris ➑️
Finally a proper demo.

?DEMO?Dave Smith Instruments Prophet12 - YouTube

This synth sounds phenomenal.
holy jeebus!

I bashed the P12 a lot so far, i regret it now. I should have bashed the demo-makers instead

Ujie proves me wrong, this synth can actually sound great.
Old 25th December 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
It is incredible how MR Katsunori touches a synth and all the critics about the sound of any synth changes. I have not played a p12 but just by listening to this last demo amazes me on how powerfull the sound it could be as most of his other demos of other synths!
πŸ“ Reply