DSI Prophet 12 - Page 70 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DSI Prophet 12
Old 31st October 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakesSynthToMe ➑️
Yeah the register page has been down at least since last Monday as far as I can tell. DSI themselves don't have any affiliation with the site(according to DSI support). So I think we're just stuck until they decide to fix it.
Thanks

I just need to update my P12 OS and i'm kind of stuck with the registration, if someone could send me the OS files i would appreciate it.

hugo01atgmaildotcom
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo leitao ➑️
Thanks

I just need to update my P12 OS and i'm kind of stuck with the registration, if someone could send me the OS files i would appreciate it.

hugo01atgmaildotcom
On it's way.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
On it's way.

Thanks a lot!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
P12 can't do notch filter
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8ape ➑️
P12 can't do notch filter
Why should it need to do this? It is a Prophet. Cheers
Old 31st October 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Of course the possibilities offered by sequential LPF-HPF offers more than many synths out there, including the P'08. Having a resonant analogue HPF offers several interesting new twists on the sounds you can get. Watch out, the HPF can scream!
Old 2nd November 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I have a like new Prophet 12 for sale in the Classifieds. US/Can. Thanks.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/gears...nthesizer.html
Old 3rd November 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just read the SOS review, well, steppy filters ? Definitely off my shipping list, that's unacceptable, full stop. I remember when my A-Station had steppy filters, before I updated the firmware, it annoyed the hell out of me, it's a pain if you are trying to do harmonic resonant sweeps, crazy............I don't care about all the other stuff on the 12, if this is part of the design then forget it.

WB.
SEED78
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlshft ➑️
Thought you guys might dig this, got an urge last night to do an ALL Prophet 12 version of "Lost Painting" from Castlevania Symphony of the Night.

Patches are more analog sound geared versus the digital side of the synth.

thats great

one of the best oldschool games ever BTW!
Pym
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The filters are TUNED to various pitches, which is why you get steps. This is so you can use self resonance on the filter to play pitches. You have a very smooth change between those values as immediately obvious by the way the LFOs affect the filter. The same when you change the filter quickly, it creates a smooth sweep, not stepped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyburger ➑️
Just read the SOS review, well, steppy filters ? Definitely off my shipping list, that's unacceptable, full stop. I remember when my A-Station had steppy filters, before I updated the firmware, it annoyed the hell out of me, it's a pain if you are trying to do harmonic resonant sweeps, crazy............I don't care about all the other stuff on the 12, if this is part of the design then forget it.

WB.
Old 4th November 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Here is a new original track showcasing the Prophet 12. All synths are P12, percussion is Tempest, and electric guitar is recorded through an AxeFX Ultra (). Tracked in Logic Pro. I think this showcases how the P12 can be programmed into a variety of textures in a musical context, both analog emulation (pretty damn good IMO), and more digital textures. Only outboard effects were light reverb, and outboard multi band compression on the main buss. Hope you enjoy:

https://soundcloud.com/ronf-3/12x-the-fun
Old 6th November 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
If you'd like to see what the Prophet 12 can do with bass, leads and pads, 90% of the synths on the track are Prophet 12, including all of those listed. It's just a little bit NSFW, if a dark cybernetic future filled with vice is likely to upset your co-workers.

Old 6th November 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arakon ➑️
If you'd like to see what the Prophet 12 can do with bass, leads and pads, 90% of the synths on the track are Prophet 12, including all of those listed. It's just a little bit NSFW, if a dark cybernetic future filled with vice is likely to upset your co-workers.

Nice!
Old 8th November 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Nice demotrack RonF.

I finally got to play the P12 today, in the store, very nice!

I could spend a lot of time exploring it, and the sound is good.

I can't afford it at this time, but if I could, I'd buy it.
Old 10th November 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pym ➑️
The filters are TUNED to various pitches, which is why you get steps. This is so you can use self resonance on the filter to play pitches. You have a very smooth change between those values as immediately obvious by the way the LFOs affect the filter. The same when you change the filter quickly, it creates a smooth sweep, not stepped.

Yeah, I noticed in the SOS review about envelope filtering not being stepped. But it is nice to be able to,"ride" the filter when playing, and if it steps, it makes it sound jumpy, and not nice. I didn't have this problem on my old Prophet 5, if I seem to remember, so maybe I'll get a nicely restored Pro5 instead ! I liked Dave Smith's demo on You Tube of the Pro12, some nice sounds there, very tempting, but this filter thing has planted a little seed of doubt.

WB.
Old 10th November 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Hopefully GS can help me here. I've posted about this on the DSI forums, but perhaps a few of you on here aren't over there too. A few of us swear we can hear unwanted sine wave harmonics on low notes, which are loud enough to spoil a mix. The harmonics sound 'bit-crushed/decimated' and are reproducible every time, regardless of output, OS or calibration of filters etc.

...here is an example of the extra noise I hear on my P12, maybe someone could replicate my settings and tell me whether it's normal or not?

https://soundcloud.com/danbroad/sine-wave-test

You can see from the waveform generated by Soundcloud that there's some extra frequencies in there, and that they're predictably reproduced according to the played note.

The patch is simple - a 1 osc sine with no filter....
init patch [latch1+hold]
turn off the second oscillator
osc 1 set to sine
filters 2 pole, cutoff max, resonance zero
play lower notes on the keys, around C2

now, I hear quite clearly a higher pitch harmonic, which sounds like it's digitally bit-reduced. The single osc sine demonstrates it best, but I can hear it on any patch where an isolated low frequency is produced. It's from both outputs, headphones out. My recording chain is P12 - good quality cables - Roland Quad Capture. This chain is as clean as a whistle with other synths.

My problem is that whenever I hear this added noise, I can't help but focus on it. I said before that it wasn't a problem. Well, it is, because like an itch I can't scratch it's slowly driving me mad!

I should mention I'm on 1.0.1.2 and have calibrated everything I can calibrate.
Old 10th November 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
double post. I will add that I'm prepared to be called a 'n00b' if this turns out to be something simple and/or obvious!
Old 10th November 2013 | Show parent
Deleted 0fc8128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persemone ➑️
double post. I will add that I'm prepared to be called a 'n00b' if this turns out to be something simple and/or obvious!
Don't worry, it happens quite often lately and I am very sure that it is the forum rather the poster.
Old 11th November 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyburger ➑️
Yeah, I noticed in the SOS review about envelope filtering not being stepped. But it is nice to be able to,"ride" the filter when playing, and if it steps, it makes it sound jumpy, and not nice...
I agree, 'playing' with the filter should be unstepped, the point is exactly to hit the microtonal spectrum, and to make chromatic glides without obvious steps.
Old 12th November 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHayduke ➑️
I agree, 'playing' with the filter should be unstepped, the point is exactly to hit the microtonal spectrum, and to make chromatic glides without obvious steps.
Absolutely.
Old 12th November 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
A bit late for "Noob" at 370 posts .
Old 13th November 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
OK I can definitely hear what you are referring to in the SoundCloud clip on my DT770 headphones. I reproduced your settings on my P12, and plugged the same set of cans into the headphone jack -I couldn't hear any of those upper harmonics, it sounded fine to me.

So... not sure if that's going to help you at all, but there it is. Mine is #372 if that is of any use to you. Good luck!
Old 13th November 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
That's great to hear, thanks - I've just had a rather dismissive reply from DSI support telling me they consider it normal because it's, y'know, analog and all that... I know it can't be right, and I've just today been showing it in person to my tech, who agrees with me.

Many pages back, someone (messaien?) got a grilling because of artefact noise heard through his hifi and a roland cube amp. On the DSi forums, several of us have reported this extra noise. We all describe it in virtually the same terms. High pitched, fizzy, digital, bit-crushed, lo-fi, distorted etc etc. Perhaps some synths have it more than others - or all synths have it and some of us notice it more than others (either through our recording chains or because this frequency is closer to our own mastoid resonant frequencies???...). Right now, all I want is for DSI to acknowledge it's there on mine!

If it were a normal character of the synth, how come not everyone can reproduce it?
Old 14th November 2013 | Show parent
Deleted 0fc8128
Quote:
That's great to hear, thanks - I've just had a rather dismissive reply from DSI support telling me they consider it normal because it's, y'know, analog and all that... I know it can't be right, and I've just today been showing it in person to my tech, who agrees with me.
If it were a normal character of the synth, how come not everyone can reproduce it?
I have the same hiss like yours. It is audible but I think it is part of the sound. Just accept it and set the filter to a lower position. After all, that is the beauty of having analog filter, the digital artifacts don't go through the chain as they would with a fully digital design.

Also funny that when changing the pitch that there is some kind of beating going on for the first second.
Old 14th November 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've run into this with headphones but not the main outs:

Prophet 12 distortion
Old 17th November 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Nice Prophet 12 demo:

Old 17th November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Nice bit of the more soothing side of the P12, mixed with a Nord Stage :

Sunday Afternoon Improvisation on Prophet12 & Nord Stage2 - YouTube
Old 17th November 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell r. ➑️
Nice bit of the more soothing side of the P12, mixed with a Nord Stage :

Sunday Afternoon Improvisation on Prophet12 & Nord Stage2 - YouTube
That is really cool. I never thought about putting a tapped delay on a piano for one handed complex sounding compositions. It made it the song sound sequenced but was played live. Very cool.....
Old 21st November 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Prophet 12 module in action!,,,sorta

This might be interesting

Roger Linn stops by DSI for a Linnstrument prototype demo - YouTube
Old 21st November 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
That is VERY cool! Makes me think Continuum. Love it! Like the way the P12 sounded there too....expressive!
πŸ“ Reply