Quantcast
DSI Prophet 12 - Page 7 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DSI Prophet 12
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
Deleted 0fc8128
Quote:
Originally Posted by matia ➑️
While I like where matia is going with his sounds in general, I am a little underwhelmed from the basic oscillator sound or maybe it is the filter. Everything sounds pretty tame. Sure there are FX sections here and there, but I wish I would hear more artifacts in the oscillator and more attitude in the filter section.

I don't hear much VS out of these sounds, forget about the grunge of a PPG. I guess I will need to play with one first or hear other demos before pulling the trigger.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Can't agree with that at all. The sound has real width and presence, and you can feel it immediately.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by raffor ➑️
While I like where matia is going with his sounds in general, I am a little underwhelmed from the basic oscillator sound or maybe it is the filter. Everything sounds pretty tame. Sure there are FX sections here and there, but I wish I would hear more artifacts in the oscillator and more attitude in the filter section.

I don't hear much VS out of these sounds, forget about the grunge of a PPG. I guess I will need to play with one first or hear other demos before pulling the trigger.
some of the other patches i have programmed definitely have more of that character. honestly youtube does something weird with the top end.

you have an air control for boosting high's and when you use the decimate and hack controls ALL of the artifacting that you want to hear is there ... it's something i was really keen on having with the P12 to be able to go from smooth to gritty and it has it ... it is generally a darker synth but the grit is possible it's just down to the programming.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
When my q+ Phoenix died and they cancil led the product due to technical issues I was so gutted. This looks like a dsi version. Let's hope it's reliable and shipping soon.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by seen-da-sizer ➑️
Geeee, that's 48 oscillators for only $3000! That is 16 more than the Andromeda A6 has. Add the four envelopes per voice, this synth will hit the competition very hard. IMO this is an unbeatable price! At this price level, who still wants to buy a VA like the Solaris, Virus, Q+, etc.?
Expensive is one thing, bang for the buck is another
I'm not saying it's not worth it, but if you don't have that cash to spend, it doesn't matter if it's a good price or not...

And it remains to be seen what kind of oscillators it has.
If it's VCOs or DCOs, I'm not sure if it's really worth having 4 per voice.
Probably less and a cheaper price would have been nicer.

But let's wait and see...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hybrid architecture, wavetables, resonant filters, knob-per-function: they've definitely done their homework. With the Wave (and even the Q+) way out of reach for mortals, and the prices for the Prophet VS still going up and up and up, this is going to fill an obvious gap in the current market.

I don't think it's the machine for me (I feel like I have most of these key bases covered with Prophet 5 and Microwave XTk), but I do think it'll be a big hit.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by messiaen ➑️
what not impressed that a company has the balls to build a 12 voice analog synth that everyone on here's been whingeing about for years about!!!

What would impress you then?
it's not even analog, oscillators are digital

the analog filters would make it worth it but if they used the same ones as they used on the Prophet '08 then it's not

I hated the filters on the Prophet '08, probably one of the biggest reasons why I sold mine plus the fact that the oscillators just didn't sound that much better than digital ones
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
It looks beautiful!
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Well whining escalated quickly.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
And where in the hell is clusterchord? These threads don't get serious until he makes his intervention.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon ➑️
I'm sorry that you see my opinion as whining, it's just my opinion
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
My opinion is - I don't care if oscillators are analog or not, it still sounds FVKING MASSIVE.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooftree ➑️
NOT SO GOOD
Bi-timbral, but that might be fixed in som fimrware update.

Listen people, it's very easy to present MS-20, that reissue is ultimate nobrainer. Then, Moog had rough time on this board to present Sub, and it's not most complex synth in the world. OTOH, this new DSI is deep, really deep. I doubt anyone can make judgement based on two (or even 20) 'tube videos and short spec list. We'll talk and talk about this synth in days to come.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmicide ➑️
I'm sorry that you see my opinion as whining, it's just my opinion
Maybe it's because many people are here because they are enthusiastic about it and Dave's continuing support and product development? I certainly have far too little energy to post my disapproval of everything I don't like on this site as surely it is more fun to spend the time with a majority, on a thread that contains something you do like?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
i'm guess i'm going to go against the grain.. it feels like massive overkill, it's a little obnoxious actually.. plus they hacked vital stuff like the step sequencer (why?!) and the whole hybrid thing makes it feel like it shouldn't bare the prophet name... still curious to find out a little more but it's an easy pass for the moment..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by recnsci ➑️
yep. From one guy who played P12:
Quote:
there's fully sweepable wavetables plus sweepable standard waveforms
Now, that is coolness. Great looking synth too. Could be a nice addition to an all-analogue setup. Still not crazy about that filter though, but i'm eager to try it out.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax ➑️
i'm guess i'm going to go against the grain.. it feels like massive overkill, it's a little obnoxious actually.. plus they hacked vital stuff like the step sequencer (why?!) and the whole hybrid thing makes it feel like it shouldn't bare the prophet name... still curious to find out a little more but it's an easy pass for the moment..
watch out man, apparently you're not allowed to post your negative opinion on something without having it labeled as "whining"
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Just curious as to what you're getting at here...

What is overkill?

Why is a sequencer vital?

Why should a hybrid not bare the "Prophet" name when the Prophet VS precedes it?

Please, I'm not trying to start anything, I am simply curious about your thinking.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
watch out man, apparently you're not allowed to post your negative opinion on something without having it labeled as "whining"
Now you're being passive-aggressive...good job.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
the whole hybrid thing makes it feel like it shouldn't bare the prophet name.
Sequential Circuits released several hyrid/digital synths back in the eighties that had the Prophet name (the Prophet VS, the Prophet 2000 etc).
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlemeister ➑️
Obviously you're entitled to your opinion on DSI and their "direction", but your input should end there, then, if you're not trying to be obtuse and derisive.

Calling DSI products "consintently[SIC] unimpressive" after telling everyone here we're involved in a circle jerk is more than just commentary on a company's strategic plan; it's gross snobbery.

I would suggest directing your refined tastes at something that reflects directly upon yourself, like your phone's ultra-crappy spell-check. Now THAT is clearly unimpressive.

Taste and prejudice are mutually exclusive? Maybe, again, it's the refinement you possess over others, but if you could turn me on to the philosophy book that successfully makes that argument, I would love to read it.

But, if I may share the observation, I think only one person participating in this thread (unless Pym shows up before I post this) is uniquely qualified to even suggest how "powerful" this new synth is with any credibility, and that would be the dude who crafted the sound banks.

Otherwise, it's high cork-sniffing to presume you and any other person knows the full capabilities, and qualities, of this synth, which, if you'll allow, was introduced to the public mere hours ago.

With all due respect, I like that guy's general overview of synths, but if he should get one on the house to play, I could name a dozen other internet characters whom I would like to be given the same privilege.
Say it with me, "three two one one two three what the **** is bothering me." Now breathe in deep and breathe out slowly. Someone on the other side of the screen disagrees with you. No need to go meme hunting and write an ironic diatribe.

In my experience DSI synths are one of the quickest synths to be flipped because they are all so boring and lack character. The P12 fits the mold. Right now boutique analog synths are more exciting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Since Dave invented the first Prophet, I am pretty sure he can use the name however he damn well pleases

And yes, the Prophet 5 was not the only Prophet ever made.

DSI synths are amazing. TONS of hits have been made with them. You can barely find one Future Music studio interview without seeing a Prophet 08.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Now you're being passive-aggressive...good job.
I just can't do anything right today, damn
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon ➑️
On gearslutz? Why I never...

What if everybody agreed on a synth that is really good? All that positive energy would cause a counter reaction that lead into a blackhole sucking up the entire planet.

Think of the planet, keep whining.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Just curious as to what you're getting at here...

What is overkill?

Why is a sequencer vital?

Why should a hybrid not bare the "Prophet" name when the Prophet VS precedes it?

Please, I'm not trying to start anything, I am simply curious about your thinking.
do i really need to state the obvious?!
whats overkill? the specs, the size, the price
why is a step sequencer vital? perhaps you should try one then maybe you'll understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus Voltage ➑️
Sequential Circuits released several hyrid/digital synths back in the eighties that had the Prophet name (the Prophet VS, the Prophet 2000 etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Arkadin ➑️
Not heard of the Prophet VS then?

Oh, and it's 'bear' by the way, unless you're typing this naked then that's OK.
then it should be the VS 12 or something.. i feel like the 5/8/10/12 naming should be for real analog only (VCO/DCO) but yea Dave can call it whatever he likes it just feels slightly deceptive imo..

@mrarkadin: not a native speaker and it's getting late in this timezone

edit: FWIW i'm not a DSi basher far from it... i'm just not that interested in this product.. next DSi synth will probably be mopho 4X
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Appeal for pity. On a roll!

🎧 5 years
Is it just me, or does some of the features on this seem kinda moot? I feel like this synth will do a LOT of things that probably wouldn't work in songs... but thats just me
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Wow, Waldorf just got boi'd. That thing is a monster. Of course I'll never be able to justify the expense of one...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Now you're just being passive
πŸ“ Reply