Quantcast
DSI Prophet 12 - Page 64 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DSI Prophet 12
Old 31st August 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Trying running dark P12 pads through stereo RE-201's. If you thought envelope looping gave you the four horsemen, this trick gives you la fin du monde
Old 1st September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
C'mon DSI, announce the Rack Version... my money is waiting!
Old 1st September 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttown23 ➑️
Trying running dark P12 pads through stereo RE-201's. If you thought envelope looping gave you the four horsemen, this trick gives you la fin du monde
*drool* Care to upload a clip? :D
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Played with the p12 a good hour and a half at the music store, very impressed.
Oscillator section is incredibly powerful.
UI is magical. Everything takes one button and one knob at most!
Not the biggest fan of the filter. Depends how muchyou like the prophet sound.
Hear a lot of mushy spacy demos, but the the oscs alone can make raw destructo buzz sounds.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut ➑️
C'mon DSI, announce the Rack Version... my money is waiting!
If they do release a rack-mount version I really hope that they re-design the way that the B outputs work. AFAIK the one's on the Prophet 12 work the same way as those on the 08, and it renders the B outputs pretty useless for me when the unit is actually rack-mounted.

It may be that it's not simple to alter though because it seems tied to how voices are allocated, which I also wish was more flexible when using splits.
Old 4th September 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyspacecadet ➑️
*drool* Care to upload a clip? :D
Sure, provided that i can figure out how to do that?
Old 5th September 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttown23 ➑️
Sure, provided that i can figure out how to do that?
Soundcloud is probably the easiest, or Dropbox. I can PM you my email address if you're willing I think Gmail has a 20MB filesize limit, pity, as i"d love a .WAV or another lossless format.
Old 5th September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
id love to hear as well ... soundcloud is the best i think..

tho going thru double 201s.... probably a Casio VL-1 would sound great too
Old 7th September 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyspacecadet ➑️
Soundcloud is probably the easiest, or Dropbox. I can PM you my email address if you're willing I think Gmail has a 20MB filesize limit, pity, as i"d love a .WAV or another lossless format.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord ➑️
id love to hear as well ... soundcloud is the best i think..

tho going thru double 201s.... probably a Casio VL-1 would sound great too

OK, I have dropbox too... give me a few days and I'll drop something your way guys...
Old 14th September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I'm still looking for something pleasant to hear from this synth.

It looks great, it feels great, interface is fantastic but the sound, while capable of complexity and deep synthesis, is always just too gritty and weird.

In the end i think they had a bad idea when they chose digital osc over analogs...
Old 14th September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I'm still looking for something pleasant to hear from this synth.

It looks great, it feels great, interface is fantastic but the sound, while capable of complexity and deep synthesis, is always just too gritty and weird.

In the end i think they had a bad idea when they chose digital osc over analogs...
Old 14th September 2013
F5D
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The P12 is perfect for those who did not have opportunity to get Waldorf Q+, or who are still waiting for Stromberg, i.e. people who like wavetables with FM and analog filters. Nord Lead 3 can do some very wild FM stuff as well. I like weird and spacy sounds. I will pick up P12 next year. The experience gained with Waldorf synths makes me respect DSI for choosing digital oscillators. P08 and Andromeda do the poly analog sounds already well. IMO, this time DSI picked up the right people to program the presets for the synth to show its capabilities.
Old 14th September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Old 22nd September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
nice bit o' playing with some softer sounds:

Prophet 12 - Dave Smith Instruments. first look - YouTube
Old 22nd September 2013 | Show parent
Deleted b598644
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBern ➑️
sounds like bass
Old 23rd September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
filter modulation demo:
Prophet 12 Analog Filter Modulation - YouTube
Old 23rd September 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell r. ➑️
Awesome video!
Old 24th September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
They have one with a theremin too...same guy
Old 24th September 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonF ➑️
Awesome video!
I spent some time duplicating this last night, and it was VERY inspiring! Once again, thanks to wendell r. for a great post/video.

Just to make an important point to all P12 users (and prospective users)...

You don't need a Midi-to-CV converter to make such complex modulations as displayed in this video (and many more modulations, for that matter). In the video, a Moog MP201 Multi Pedal is used....and that's very cool. However....the P12 has ample mod matrix sources and destinations to allow straight midi to achieve the same thing, and MUCH more.

In fact....I just became "enlightened" last night in regards to one of my long standing disappointments about the P12: NO STEP SEQUENCER.

However....after watching this video....duplicating the same thing with my own (thankfully) Moog gear.....I then turned to my Cirklon and used it as a multi track modulator in the matrix of the P12 to AMAZING effect. Light ON: The P12 can easily step sequence ANY parameter, via midi CC, in fact you have multi-parallel options. This works just as easily using Numerology on a computer, Thesys on an iPad, etc, as the modulator. And the world of expressive possibilities are endless, and VERY modular.

I don't have any videos or recordings yet....but suffice it to say....using an external (multi track!) step sequencer directly inside the mod matrix of of the P12 opens some critical and inspirational doors!

Snap!
Old 28th September 2013 | Show parent
dbm
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell r. ➑️
I thought this vid was wicked. Also RonF I would love to hear what you did along these lines as well as this was one of my favorite vids of the Prophet 12.
Old 29th September 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBern ➑️
Dig it much. Sounds like old 80's Depeche Mode era. Man, I gotta hunt one of these down. The guy at the music store would have to kick me out at closing time!
Old 1st October 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've been listening to P12 demos on Soundcloud for hours...mein Gott, this thing is absolutely incredible. I mean just...eargasmic. I was down on it because almost everything on Youtube is just cheesy noodlers FMing everything in sight with no idea what they're doing.

But some of the soundcloud demos, like this one:

...are sheer ambient Heaven. Like Ulrich Schnauss and Boards of Canada and Skinny Puppy and Aphex Twin all in the same box.

I hate to say it's the best thing Dave Smith's ever done, because the P5 has seen so much use on so many hits that it's unfair to de-throne it, but man...
Old 1st October 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Yeah man, if you're into ambient, this thing is king for it. Between my Virus TI2 and my P12, I can make new sub genre called "Extreme Ambient" lol. When you listen to it, a big hole opens up where ever you are, and it sucks you into another dimension.
Old 1st October 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Jexus is gonna go HAM on this thing.
Old 1st October 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
i had another go at a P12 today..it definitely excels at ambient type soundscapes and spaced out fx.. no doubt due to it's deep modulation possibilities & rich delays.. but after a while every patch starts sounding kinda the same..it's so weird... i even get that feeling when skipping through the soundcloud demo just above.. dunno maybe it's just me..
Old 1st October 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax ➑️
i had another go at a P12 today..it definitely excels at ambient type soundscapes and spaced out fx.. no doubt due to it's deep modulation possibilities & rich delays.. but after a while every patch starts sounding kinda the same..it's so weird... i even get that feeling when skipping through the soundcloud demo just above.. dunno maybe it's just me..
I'd suggest listening a bit closer. There is a lot out of this instrument that sounds very metallic, digital or FMey, but I'm hearing a lot that goes well outside that range too. I'm not sure how you can go from say 0:01 to 7:10 to 13:00 to 16:30 to 17:50 to 24:30 and be hearing everything sound the same.

This is another set of patches, with somebody going through a number of different song styles from Deadmau5 to Com Truise:

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax ➑️
Glad you took the time to give it another listen. I can sincerely understand what you are saying...and perhaps its indeed not for you.

I sometimes get similar feelings about my Eurorack Modular synth (appox $10K USD investment and growing)....which is INFINITELY patchable and diverse. Yet sometimes, it just all "sounds the same", blips and beeps....because it takes some sincere work, deep thought, and strategy to make it sound beautiful, inspirational, and mind blowing. There ARE NO presets...EVER. So its all on you....and the oscillators just sound how they sound. The components just do what they do. (sure in a modular you can add new oscillators or modules, but at no small cost, and there remains a similarity overall). However, when you strike gold on the modular rig....its truly magical....and infinitely tweak-able.

For me...THIS is exactly what I am getting with the P12. Its not a preset machine. Its not a bread and butter synth. It can sound "vanilla", and it has a particular sonic character. But when you really put your thinking cap on, and sit down with the intent of pressing the boundaries of the extensive mod matrix and wavetable synthesis......you can make something spectacular and unique.

I get that its not for everyone. I get that its not a run of the mill modern synth. I get that it has a distinct sonic character that might not float your boat (especially at first). But at least in my personal experience (YMMV), I have *grown* to discover its possibilities, and they have blown my mind.
Old 1st October 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
fwiw i'm not new to synthesis and was not expecting a "bread n butter" "run of the mill" preset synth with the P12... i like to create my own patches and go deep into sound design however i don't wanna be fighting a synth to find something good.. if i have to tweak the hell out of a synth in order to find something satisfying i see that as a negative.. maybe i'm just spoiled with a lot of the synths i own in that the raw tone (oscillators+filters) sound rather good to my ears which i find is very inspiring and always the basis on which i've judged synths. anyways i'm not saying the P12 sounds bad.. i mean i was definitely able to make some pleasing patches, the extensive lfo possibilites with slew rate and such i found really interesting.. actually generally speaking the sculpting possibilities with the fx etc are pretty amazing and don't get me wrong if money were no issue i'd definitely pick one up.. but since that isn't the case i gotta weigh it with what else is out there and i find that even within DSi's line-up the PEK or even 4X are more appealing to me sonically.. but fwiw i do have a better understanding now on how one could get infatuated with the P12, it's definitely deep, original and very logically laid out.. i actually wouldn't mind spending some more time with one .. who knows maybe it is a grower..
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveFromKyoto ➑️
I'd suggest listening a bit closer. There is a lot out of this instrument that sounds very metallic, digital or FMey, but I'm hearing a lot that goes well outside that range too. I'm not sure how you can go from say 0:01 to 7:10 to 13:00 to 16:30 to 17:50 to 24:30 and be hearing everything sound the same.
i know what i said sounds strange but i guess i should have been more specific.. it's quite obvious the patches are quite varied as i've just stated the P12 is a synthesist's dream with all these oscillators, layers, modulation, FX & delays... yet the synth has a very distinct character that i hear in almost every patch.. and i'm afraid it's all the digital elements that create this.. regardless it remains fun to control and does excel particularly well in those metallic ambient soundscapes i find.. maybe the end justifies the means
Old 1st October 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
The same collective cold feet happened to the PolyEvolver keyboard, and now everyone agrees it is a monster synth, albeit again with a strong sonic character. This is the post-release lull, while folks figure out just how the hell you ride this thing. Take me, for instance. Even though I can't yet tap the fullest potential, I can see it. It is a sonic beast, but it takes some taming!
πŸ“ Reply