DSI Prophet 12 - Page 62 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DSI Prophet 12
Old 17th August 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlshft ➑️
It sounds more like a typical digital delay, although after many taps it does start to lowpass, just not very dramatically. It's not really like an analog delay though.
Yeah I noticed that in the above vid, although not easy to tell.

Still it sounds pretty decent.
Old 17th August 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Nice demo, that! There seems to be something about the sound of the 12 that for me sets it apart from the rest of the DSI range, which I struggle to get emotional about. There is something really sweet in this thing in a modern but still potentially very spellbinding way. Trying to long out having a go on one as I really don't need GAS for another box right now......let's see how long it takes before they show second hand.
Old 18th August 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Old 18th August 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
P12 still sounds too digital and harsh to my ears. Surely, It's great if that's what you like. But I prefer the warm and fat analog sound of the P08. I will finally get the PE08 keyboard by the end this month.

Here is a cool P08 video that shows the warm/analog sounds of the P08 in action :

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBern ➑️
It's all subjective of course but that video nearly ruined any hope for the P12 for me.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by muziksculp ➑️
Here is a cool P08 video that shows the warm/analog sounds of the P08 in action[/YOUTUBE]
Despite the clipping midway in the video I just had an eargasm. Thanks for sharing that!

Unless I hear more demos of the P12 that convince me, I'll get the P8, so far I'm utterly convinced of the P8's sound. And of course it's half the price
Old 18th August 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Of course as it is a versatile synth with bulging wavetable and FM muscles, not every demo is even trying to pursue analog sounds. I'm sure it can sound analog as there has been at least one demo, where it sounded like a classic(of course, cannot find it anymore).

The pots have quite infinite possible states and demos demonstrate quite finite amount of those possible variations. Demos demonstrate what the demonstrator got out of it this far, and not all of them are trying to please you.
Old 18th August 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
You guys need to check soundcloud. There's some really nice demos of the P12. Sounds better than the Nord Lead 4 IMO....
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I don't think P12 sounds better than NL4. P12 is more versatile, but Leads usually sound good even upside down.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
P12 still sounds too digital and harsh to my ears. Surely, It's great if that's what you like. But I prefer the warm and fat analog sound of the P08. I will finally get the PE08 keyboard by the end this month.

Here is a cool P08 video that shows the warm/analog sounds of the P08 in action :

Cheers,
Muziksculp

What a trip...! I closed my eyes and meditated. I fell into a forest where a tree told me that i could go in any direction that i wanted. It would help me find my way if i got lost ... wow. Lovely synth!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraut ➑️
I don't think P12 sounds better than NL4. P12 is more versatile, but Leads usually sound good even upside down.
+1

NL4 sounds awesome !

PE08 (Keyboard) + NL4 (Desktop) are the two synths I plan on adding to my current setup.
Old 18th August 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Old 18th August 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
+1

NL4 sounds awesome !

PE08 (Keyboard) + NL4 (Desktop) are the two synths I plan on adding to my current setup.
Not if you already have a Virus.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlights ➑️
Not if you already have a Virus.
I have two Viruses (Ti2 Desktop and Ti Keyboard)

Will be selling the Ti Keyboard.

Cheers,
Muziksculp
Old 18th August 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Well you're most likely going to get the same type of sounds.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlights ➑️
Well you're most likely going to get the same type of sounds.
Each synth has its own sonic character, and have their unique synth structure, it's all about how your program them.

imho. They surely don't sound the same. Virus Ti , Nord Lead 4, PE08 complement each other beautifully

Are you undecided about getting the P12 ? I thought you are a all pumped up for a P12. If you like the way it sounds, just get it.

I would recommend you get the PE08 to nicely complement your Virus Ti. Then add a NL4 when you feel you need more synth power and variety.

Just my 2Cents.

Cheers,
Muziksculp
Old 18th August 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I think a P'08 and a P'12 would be an incredible combo, given their very different approaches. A stack of prophets....
Old 18th August 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I actually have the P12. I would say that the P08 does not compliment the Virus well. I owned the Prophet 08 already...sold it to get the P12. The P12 on the other hand compliments the Virus. In my other thread I was curious about the NL4, just trying to see what would fit better. The NL4 sounds good from demos I hear, but I keep thinking it'll give me what my Virus gives me. I doubt if I'll be able to ever demo one, even though my city has like 5 Guitar Centers. So I don't know, only time will tell.
Old 19th August 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I'm about a month in with the P12 now. For me now, contrary to my previous statement, a lot of the presets are really fantastic and show a great deal of programming talent.

I think I found my own bug, which I have described on the DSI P12 forum, but the synth is very powerful, deep, and fun to work with.
Old 19th August 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mekohler ➑️
They go through all that hard work making a video ... and they record the monitors and not the direct out?

Is it just me thinking that it's weird?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persemone ➑️
I think a P'08 and a P'12 would be an incredible combo, given their very different approaches. A stack of prophets....
It is. I have both and they complement each other very well, both highly recommended!
Deleted 0fc8128
Quote:
Originally Posted by mekohler ➑️
The more demos I listen to, the more I find that this one is not for me. Maybe that changes when I have a chance to play one.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBern ➑️
i admit P12 sounds more interesting to me doing off-the-wall stuff, i.e. pushing its hybrid nature as well as depth of its arhitecture, instead of patches doing rather dull and weak classic analog/polyanalog emulations.

not all but some patches here are a good example of this.

that being said, this demo reminded me that, once we enter this ambient/post-apocalyptic stuff and industrial stuff, there already is a machine that does it so well. its got a set of quirky digital filters instead of the analog ones in P12 for sure, but still i much prefer its character (for this type of thing) that to what i hear from these P12 demos..

Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Yeah, that pretty much sums up why I'm still on the fence about the Prophet 12. I really wanted to like it based upon it's capabilities (hybrid architecture, FM, AM, analogue filters, tuned feedback, delays, lots of modulation options etc.) but I've been underwhelmed when actually hearing the instrument in action either because there's something about the basic character I'm unimpressed with or because it isn't sonically distinctive enough to be that different from the sounds I can make using the synths I already own. The comparison with the Microwave XT has definitely crossed my mind quite a bit when I've heard the demos.

That said, there's still a part of me that wants to get my hands on one and really settle once and for all whether it's for me or not.
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
our father
who art in heaven
hallowed be thy name

please encourage DSI
to release a rack p12
quickly, all the same.

amen.
Old 19th August 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cLoudForest ➑️
Yeah, that pretty much sums up why I'm still on the fence about the Prophet 12. I really wanted to like it based upon it's capabilities (hybrid architecture, FM, AM, analogue filters, tuned feedback, delays, lots of modulation options etc.) but I've been underwhelmed when actually hearing the instrument in action either because there's something about the basic character I'm unimpressed with or because it isn't sonically distinctive enough to be that different from the sounds I can make using the synths I already own. The comparison with the Microwave XT has definitely crossed my mind quite a bit when I've heard the demos.

That said, there's still a part of me that wants to get my hands on one and really settle once and for all whether it's for me or not.
Order one from someone who offers a money back guarantee if you're not satisfied with a product. Test it out, if you're not happy, send it back. If you are happy, keep it.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Not sure what you guys are smoking, and whether or not it's better than what I typicaly smoke, but you folks need to get ahold of one and play it in person...

I agree that the Microwave XT is a beautiful sounding instrument, but the P12, with it's dense modmatrix and analog filters, distortion, and delays, has a darkwave sound about it that is so deep and enveloping, it won't leave you wanting for more...
Old 19th August 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have both an P12 and XTK. Two ENTIRELY different animals. VERY little in common. No doubt, the XT is a classic/epic synth, and one of the greatest synths of all time....but comparing it to the P12 sonically is counter-intutitive to say the least. P12 may become a classic....over *time*....which is requisite to becoming considered for classic/epic status! But we'll see. In the meantime, P12 is a wonderful and inspiring synth, which if you can't make some wicked sounds with, then something other than the synth is wrong!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttown23 ➑️
Not sure what you guys are smoking, and whether or not it's better than what I typicaly smoke, but you folks need to get ahold of one and play it in person...

I agree that the Microwave XT is a beautiful sounding instrument, but the P12, with it's dense modmatrix and analog filters, distortion, and delays, has a darkwave sound about it that is so deep and enveloping, it won't leave you wanting for more...
well if the general tone character works for you it's surely an awesome package. alas not the case with me. i dig its capabilities and depth, and i was unsure at the beginning, but each new demo confirms my initial thoughts, and pushes me more into the line of thinking i posted in last two posts..

actually talking about hybrids, there is another one that ocuppied my attention lately, and its sound esp filter sound and vca, its love at first listen.. Mutable Ambika. and each demo makes me want it more. downside is no deluxe UI of course. however the problme stays, another hybrid is hard to justify since i got both XT and original microwave. we'll see.

PS i smoked a little two weeks ago, when on vacation but i doubt it still holds..
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonF ➑️
I have both an P12 and XTK. Two ENTIRELY different animals. VERY little in common. No doubt, the XT is a classic/epic synth, and one of the greatest synths of all time....but comparing it to the P12 sonically is counter-intutitive to say the least. P12 may become a classic....over *time*....which is requisite to becoming considered for classic/epic status! But we'll see. In the meantime, P12 is a wonderful and inspiring synth, which if you can't make some wicked sounds with, then something other than the synth is wrong!
I agree. IMO the filter alone on the XT makes it quite different sounding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord ➑️
well if the general tone character works for you it's surely an awesome package. alas not the case with me. i dig its capabilities and depth, and i was unsure at the beginning, but each new demo confirms my initial thoughts, and pushes me more into the line of thinking i posted in last two posts..
Fair enough... I guess the thing that I don't agree with though, and am more in line with RonF on, is the comparison to the XT. P12 to me is much meatier sounding, mostly because of the filter I guess.
πŸ“ Reply