Quantcast
DSI Prophet 12 - Page 58 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DSI Prophet 12
Old 17th July 2013
  #1711
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
This could be one of the great synths of all time
Old 17th July 2013 | Show parent
  #1712
Lives for gear
 
droolmaster0's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lysander ➡️
Indeed, demos are never going to cover the full sonic range.
However there is a certain "cold" quality that seems to be a constant in all of the sound clips I've heard, which is not bad in any way but just very far from the sounds I associate with the Prophet 5 and the ARP2600.

I can't find any store in my area that have it so trying it in person is not an option for me.
I would love for anyone to make me change my mind as I would be all over it if it could produce these kind of sounds easily - not so much if it takes enormous amount of fine tweaking just to counter the inherent sound signature of the synth which is what I currently suspect.
I very much like the p12, but I'd say that if you're looking for something that easily sounds 'vintage', this is not for you.
Old 17th July 2013 | Show parent
  #1713
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lysander ➡️
Indeed, demos are never going to cover the full sonic range.
However there is a certain "cold" quality that seems to be a constant in all of the sound clips I've heard, which is not bad in any way but just very far from the sounds I associate with the Prophet 5 and the ARP2600.

I can't find any store in my area that have it so trying it in person is not an option for me.
I would love for anyone to make me change my mind as I would be all over it if it could produce these kind of sounds easily - not so much if it takes enormous amount of fine tweaking just to counter the inherent sound signature of the synth which is what I currently suspect.
Actually if you get a 2600 that doesn't have the moog filter it sounds very clean and sterile due to superb audiophile vca's
Old 17th July 2013
  #1714
Lives for gear
 
PeteJames's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Does it have that really cold, harsh, trashy, clangy sound like many of the things i've heard from the poly evolver? Hope not!
Old 17th July 2013
  #1715
Gear Nut
 
🎧 5 years
Just got mine today, it is very versatile in the sense that it can sound anyway from cold and harsh to warm and lush. A true synthesis beast
Old 17th July 2013 | Show parent
  #1716
Lives for gear
 
synthRodriguez's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelican ➡️
Actually if you get a 2600 that doesn't have the moog filter it sounds very clean and sterile due to superb audiophile vca's
Yes, this is the 2600 sound I'm familiar with. The Prophet 5 has a nice bite too, unlike the Oberheims/Moogs/P600/CS-80's of that era. Just my initial impression, that's all.

It is a very clean and sharp synth, but very musical and inspirational for me. I don't detect any overpowering digitalness out of it like many units (V-Synth). They did a great job on eliminating aliasing.

FWIW, I don't care for the bit crunching stuff though on this or any other synth so I won't be going there with mine. It's not my bag, babe.
Old 17th July 2013 | Show parent
  #1717
Registered User
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay- ➡️
thanks newsfromthesky. Im about to get the A6 for $3500. Guess the P12 was not what I was after. Really good info newsfromthesky I thank you and yes im a noob at this kind of thing but after all wanted a real 100% analog path.
100% analog does nothing for sound, just what you can say about your synth. The P12 is not lesser for having a digital oscillator section.
Old 18th July 2013 | Show parent
  #1718
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Got it. Went through the presets. I only like a couple, but sounds way better than my polyevolver. There are some extremely cool things going on with the feedback and delays creating simulated reverb. This thing is a chameleon.
Old 18th July 2013 | Show parent
  #1719
Lives for gear
 
ionian's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrod ➡️
They did a great job on eliminating aliasing.
That's awesome to hear. I wonder how much of that has to do with the way they process / generate the digital oscillators and how much of it has to do with going through analog stages like an analog filter.

I listened to demos of the Solaris and even though as an all digital synth, it is extremely impressive and one of the best examples of a modern digital synth with low aliasing, I still heard aliasing in one of the demos so the Solaris, as high-tech as it is and running at an extremely high sample rate, still wasn't able to eliminate aliasing 100% which is why I wonder if running through analog stages is what eliminates or hides the aliasing from the digital oscillators, if there is any.

Regards,
Frank
Old 18th July 2013 | Show parent
  #1720
Lives for gear
 
GeorgeHayduke's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallu ➡️
100% analog does nothing for sound, just what you can say about your synth. The P12 is not lesser for having a digital oscillator section.
Not lesser. But different.
Old 18th July 2013
  #1721
Lives for gear
 
natrixgli's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Novamusik had one chillin' in their showroom when I was there a few days ago to pick up my Octatrack. A customer had returned it with a burnt out LED (not sure which one) and they had it hooked up to an amp just to check it out.

It seems a lot smaller than I'd imagined. And it sounds brutal. Now I kind of want one, dammit.
Old 18th July 2013 | Show parent
  #1722
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by natrixgli ➡️
Novamusik had one chillin' in their showroom when I was there a few days ago to pick up my Octatrack. A customer had returned it with a burnt out LED (not sure which one) and they had it hooked up to an amp just to check it out.

It seems a lot smaller than I'd imagined. And it sounds brutal. Now I kind of want one, dammit.
A burnt out LED or an OLED?
Old 18th July 2013 | Show parent
  #1723
Pym
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
LED

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 ➡️
A burnt out LED or an OLED?
Old 19th July 2013
  #1724
Lives for gear
 
jmcecil's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Probably someone already posted, but am I glad I turned down my order of this. It sounds like **** just turning on an osc. Everything sounds raspy/hissy always. Even when its just a single OSC turned on. It's like when you can hear a singers breath exhale behind the notes while they are singing. Totally f'n annoying. Sure they are demos, but I hear demos of other gear that doesn't grate on my nerves and translates just fine to RL demoing.

Dave Smith Instruments Prophet 12 Synthesizer Workshop [Part 1] - YouTube
Old 19th July 2013 | Show parent
  #1725
Lives for gear
 
kpsiegel's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian ➡️
I listened to demos of the Solaris and even though as an all digital synth, it is extremely impressive and one of the best examples of a modern digital synth with low aliasing, I still heard aliasing in one of the demos so the Solaris, as high-tech as it is and running at an extremely high sample rate, still wasn't able to eliminate aliasing 100% which is why I wonder if running through analog stages is what eliminates or hides the aliasing from the digital oscillators, if there is any.
Don't assume that it was aliasing you were hearing. One of the insert effects is a bit reducer. I don't know which demo you were listening to but it is quite possible the patch was using that. I don't hear aliasing in any patch I do that doesn't use the bit reducer. Also I am not sure if the recording was done using the digital output because that is going to make a difference also.

Ok....this is a P12 thread so back on topic and excuse the digression from me....
Old 19th July 2013 | Show parent
  #1726
Lives for gear
 
ionian's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpsiegel ➡️
Don't assume that it was aliasing you were hearing. One of the insert effects is a bit reducer. I don't know which demo you were listening to but it is quite possible the patch was using that. I don't hear aliasing in any patch I do that doesn't use the bit reducer. Also I am not sure if the recording was done using the digital output because that is going to make a difference also.

Ok....this is a P12 thread so back on topic and excuse the digression from me....
No problem. It was on this page:

Test du John Bowen Solaris : La nouvelle frontière - Audiofanzine

The "Lead Sine" sample has aliasing when the lead goes all the way up.

Nevertheless, it's kind of moot since spending 4 grand and using the power of Solaris to do a 95% approximation of an analog sine lead is kind of under utilizing it. Not when I can buy a $220 oscillator in Eurorack that can give me a 100% analog sine with 0% aliasing.

The Solaris should be used to bring the kind of craziness that a digital keyboard is capable of to the next level.

More OT, the P12 does look interesting. Not that it's the same thing but I have a Korg EX8000 which is something like digital waveforms through an analog path and it sounds great. I can't imagine that the P12 sounds bad and if I see one in a music store I'm definitely planning on putting it through its paces.

Regards,
Frank
Old 19th July 2013
  #1727
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
So this thread is now 58 pages long. I'm not going to read it all...but here's my question...

I have a PEK. Is the consensus that the P12 is worth it, or not, if I already dig the PEK. Is the sound THAT much different? I am pretty familiar with the key differences of P12: no analog oscs, no step seq, fewer waveforms in the digital oscs. And the voice count is not too important to me. I get along just fine with PEK's voices. The extra voices would be great...but not essential. What I am interested in is the sound design and depth of character. New is not always better....but it can be seductive. If you had the PEK....would you go for the P12? Anyone whose taken delivery of a P12 also have a PE to compare to sonically?
Old 19th July 2013
  #1728
Lives for gear
 
asynchro_nous's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Okay, where are the interesting resonant HPF examples, please
Old 20th July 2013 | Show parent
  #1729
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonF ➡️
So this thread is now 58 pages long. I'm not going to read it all...but here's my question...

I have a PEK. Is the consensus that the P12 is worth it, or not, if I already dig the PEK. Is the sound THAT much different? I am pretty familiar with the key differences of P12: no analog oscs, no step seq, fewer waveforms in the digital oscs. And the voice count is not too important to me. I get along just fine with PEK's voices. The extra voices would be great...but not essential. What I am interested in is the sound design and depth of character. New is not always better....but it can be seductive. If you had the PEK....would you go for the P12? Anyone whose taken delivery of a P12 also have a PE to compare to sonically?
Sounds way better than a pek. I'd ditch it get a p12 and never look back
Old 20th July 2013 | Show parent
  #1730
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonF ➡️
So this thread is now 58 pages long. I'm not going to read it all...but here's my question...

I have a PEK. Is the consensus that the P12 is worth it, or not, if I already dig the PEK. Is the sound THAT much different? I am pretty familiar with the key differences of P12: no analog oscs, no step seq, fewer waveforms in the digital oscs. And the voice count is not too important to me. I get along just fine with PEK's voices. The extra voices would be great...but not essential. What I am interested in is the sound design and depth of character. New is not always better....but it can be seductive. If you had the PEK....would you go for the P12? Anyone whose taken delivery of a P12 also have a PE to compare to sonically?
I sold my PEK for the P12...I was never too impressed with the PEKs analog oscs so for me it made sense to make the change.

As soon as I powered up the P12 I realised (because I was thinking there was bound to be some similarity between the two of them) that the P12 is a completely different beast from the PEK.

It really does have a sound of its own IMO.

I know its a bit of a cop out answer but I recommend trying one and seeing if its sound better suits your needs over the PEK.

I hope thats helps.
Old 20th July 2013
  #1731
Gear Maniac
 
stixman's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
PEK is discontinued so get both if you can!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonF ➡️
So this thread is now 58 pages long. I'm not going to read it all...but here's my question...

I have a PEK. Is the consensus that the P12 is worth it, or not, if I already dig the PEK. Is the sound THAT much different? I am pretty familiar with the key differences of P12: no analog oscs, no step seq, fewer waveforms in the digital oscs. And the voice count is not too important to me. I get along just fine with PEK's voices. The extra voices would be great...but not essential. What I am interested in is the sound design and depth of character. New is not always better....but it can be seductive. If you had the PEK....would you go for the P12? Anyone whose taken delivery of a P12 also have a PE to compare to sonically?
Old 21st July 2013
  #1732
Here for the gear
 
wbelote's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I've had the P12 for about a week. It is a keeper for sure. Tremendous quality hardware and programming potential. Factory presets are just OK, but if you like to tweak you will love it.
Old 21st July 2013
  #1733
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Exactly i think i like maybe 4 of the 396 presets. One is a sub bass monster and one has beautiful fm bells that are as good or better than dx7. I can't remember the other two. Like he said though a little tweaking and you can easily get them to go from mediocre to amazing fast
Old 22nd July 2013
  #1734
Gear Nut
 
🎧 5 years
good feedback on the dsi forum too. Wish it was round my area to try out a bit sooner ..
Old 23rd July 2013
  #1735
Here for the gear
 
wbelote's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Not only does tweaking easily improve the presets, but diving in with a "west coast" modular mentality is very rewarding. I just discovered the shape mod section for each oscillator. Very cool! There is so much power available, but don't underestimate what can be done with only one oscillator and the rest of the sound sculpting hardware.
Old 23rd July 2013 | Show parent
  #1736
Lives for gear
 
PeteJames's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stixman ➡️
PEK is discontinued so get both if you can!
I don't think it is. The MEK is discontinued. I find it funny how Daves new digital analog osc actually sound better than his prophet 08 ones hahaha
Old 23rd July 2013
  #1737
Lives for gear
 
Kaoz's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteJames ➡️
I don't think it is. The MEK is discontinued. I find it funny how Daves new digital analog osc actually sound better than his prophet 08 ones hahaha
There was a thread about it a while ago - they're definitely phasing the PEK out, as far as I know they're not making them anymore, or are very close to stopping production.
Old 23rd July 2013 | Show parent
  #1738
Lives for gear
 
PeteJames's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz ➡️
There was a thread about it a while ago - they're definitely phasing the PEK out, as far as I know they're not making them anymore, or are very close to stopping production.
Good to know
Old 24th July 2013 | Show parent
  #1739
Lives for gear
 
NWSooner's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Woot, mine shipped out from Sweetwater today. Should have it some time next week.
Old 24th July 2013
  #1740
dbm
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Everyone seemed to like INHALT's first demo but I havent seen anyone post his second part. Sounds pretty sweet to me. Sorry if duplicate post:



Link in case that vid doesnt work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gCiNjZYx70
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 7549 views: 1010931
Avatar for WestBerliner
WestBerliner 6 minutes ago
replies: 91 views: 35653
Avatar for Roodillon
Roodillon 16th June 2015
replies: 811 views: 67463
Avatar for Sharp11
Sharp11 2 weeks ago
replies: 64 views: 2788
Avatar for zerocrossing
zerocrossing 11th March 2021
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump