The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DSI Prophet 12
Old 10th July 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevism ➑️
idk if this was posted yet but it's awesome

Hm, this one may change my mind... though I have no need or room for a keyboard. When they release a rack version I may have to pick one up.
Old 10th July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yes the rack version would be an easier buy, hopefully they do make one and they keep the knob per function setup
Old 10th July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Rack mount would be interesting to me as I like to use push as my keyboard. I'd hope they keep the touch strips on it though.
Old 10th July 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevism ➑️
idk if this was posted yet but it's awesome

DROOL!! WANT!!!
Old 11th July 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years

Fixed the above link...
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
can somebody do a mono synth like demo? Just two OSC's....make it behave like a mono synth...or maybe three OSC's and try minimoog bass???
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiance ➑️
can somebody do a mono synth like demo? Just two OSC's....make it behave like a mono synth...or maybe three OSC's and try minimoog bass???
Right I was thinking the same....it's a good way to check the basic quality of the oscillators and the filters if you can compare them to analogue, VSTiA or VA.
Old 12th July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The OS on this thing is a little buggy. I had to turn it off and on once or twice last night to get the LCD to display correctly (after many hours of use)...also the Show/Revert functions are buggy as well. Anyone else?
Old 12th July 2013 | Show parent
Deleted 46dc28f
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransistorRhythm ➑️
Right I was thinking the same....it's a good way to check the basic quality of the oscillators and the filters if you can compare them to analogue, VSTiA or VA.
Word up. I'd like to hear this as well.
Pym
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This is already fixed in my beta OS here I'm working on. It's only an issue with passthru, as you found it wasn't registering unless it was actually passing through the value. Keep an eye on the forum for bug fixes, should be an update soon that I'm coordinating with the release of soundtower's editor

Honestly I'm happy with how bug free the OS is all in all, very few problems so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekohler ➑️
The OS on this thing is a little buggy. I had to turn it off and on once or twice last night to get the LCD to display correctly (after many hours of use)...also the Show/Revert functions are buggy as well. Anyone else?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pym ➑️
This is already fixed in my beta OS here I'm working on. It's only an issue with passthru, as you found it wasn't registering unless it was actually passing through the value. Keep an eye on the forum for bug fixes, should be an update soon that I'm coordinating with the release of soundtower's editor

Honestly I'm happy with how bug free the OS is all in all, very few problems so far.
oh - this is excellent. All in all, the p12 doesn't NEED an editor, since the interface is so nice, BUT it would be nice to open up a saved patch and look at all of the modulations (I tend to use a lot of them) on one screen, and see everything in one glance, rather than pressing on this or that to see how things are set up.

hmmm - I wasn't aware of a forum. I assume that you don't mean this one. Is it available from the DSI site? I guess I should look....
Old 12th July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
mine will be here wednesday
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by droolmaster0 ➑️
hmmm - I wasn't aware of a forum.

DSI / Prophet Forum :: Index
ozy
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut ➑️
Yes the rack version would be an easier buy, hopefully they do make one and they keep the knob per function setup
+1
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Thinking about selling my 909 and SE1X to get one of these. I can believe how great this synth sounds!
Old 12th July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hmmm I was just in the shop and nearly freaked out when I spotted a Prophet 12, didn't expect it to be there actually.
I played it, but either it was the stupid girl testing the stage piano over the speakers, or something else that couldn't make me fully enjoy it.

I think it is a very capable synth, but not the most intuitive one. I will have to give it another try some day. Like, I tried the P08 for the 9th time and finally thought I liked it.
Old 13th July 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb808 ➑️
Didn't investigate to much. But think it is just a factory preset. Sounds pretty similar and the sliders behave the same way as the video.
Thanks Mb - just what I was hoping.
Old 14th July 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
arpeggiator sync behavior on Prophet 12?

Can the Prophet 12's arpeggiators and LFOs sync to external MIDI beat clock? (Not just regular 24ppqn MIDI timing clock.)

As slave, how is the P12's internal beat clock reset?
...via Korg-style 'Key Sync' or
does it process START, STOP, SPP+CONT messages for 'Beat Sync'?

... can someone please quell my worries about the keyboard having the dreadful free-running, asynchronous beat clock behaviour. (Like found in the Blofeld's worthless arp sync.)

terminology reference:
The Taxonomy of Arpeggiator Sync

Thanks in advance for your time and response!
Old 15th July 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
My First Patches on the P12

Here is a video clip from a song from my upcoming album. I liked the P12 so much I went back and re recorded the main parts.

Both synths in the track are the P12.

Jensen "The Machinist" clip / Dave Smith Instruments Prophet 12 - YouTube
Old 16th July 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
How does the P12 compare to the ALesis A6? They are both hybrids? Not in comparison of sounds just in analog architecture? I wanted the A6 for years but have enough for the P12.
Old 16th July 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay- ➑️
How does the P12 compare to the ALesis A6? They are both hybrids? Not in comparison of sounds just in analog architecture? I wanted the A6 for years but have enough for the P12.
The A6 has software envelopes and LFOs, and digital effects, but it has two VCOs per voice and the sound path is entirely analog. It's not a hybrid synth, it's an analog synth.

The P12 uses four high-quality digital oscillators, after which the sound path is analog to the outputs (the digital effects are in parallel). The filters, VCAs, and overdrive are analog, but it's a hybrid synth.

Aside from the differences in the oscillator section, the A6 has a more powerful filter section (Moog ladder LPF and Oberheim-style multimode in series or parallel vs CEM lowpass into CEM highpass), but the P12 has much faster modulation (including FM of everything) and four delay lines per voice plus tuned feedback.

Development of the Andromeda has been over for years; any bugs it has are there for good. The P12 is new and still has some kinks to work out, but it should be actively supported by DSI for some time.
Old 16th July 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
thanks newsfromthesky. Im about to get the A6 for $3500. Guess the P12 was not what I was after. Really good info newsfromthesky I thank you and yes im a noob at this kind of thing but after all wanted a real 100% analog path.
Old 16th July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The P12 seems to specialize in "distant" and "apocalyptic"
Old 16th July 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
As mentioned I think this guy brings out its softer side really well too :

DSI The Prophet 12 (Italian spoken) - YouTube
Old 17th July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Got mine today.

Had the Prophet 8 and sold it. Not this one. Awesome. Sounds like a cross between a Prophet 5 and an ARP 2600, but with 12 voices. You've got to be kidding me.

Thanks Dave!
Old 17th July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
mine comes tomorrow, fook I can't wait
Old 17th July 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrod ➑️
Got mine today.

Had the Prophet 8 and sold it. Not this one. Awesome. Sounds like a cross between a Prophet 5 and an ARP 2600, but with 12 voices. You've got to be kidding me.

Thanks Dave!
Really ? I haven't tried one in person but from all the demos I've heard, it couldn't sound anything further from these two synths ?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb808 ➑️
Here is a sound clip...

Is this normal? That is patch bank 1 patch 9 and is the bottom half of the split.
No, it's not! I have DSI Tetra with the same problem and seller has replaced it.

But this is happening with all analog gear.
Lives for gear

7 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lysander ➑️
Really ? I haven't tried one in person but from all the demos I've heard, it couldn't sound anything further from these two synths ?

Keyword right there.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomox ➑️
Keyword right there.
Indeed, demos are never going to cover the full sonic range.
However there is a certain "cold" quality that seems to be a constant in all of the sound clips I've heard, which is not bad in any way but just very far from the sounds I associate with the Prophet 5 and the ARP2600.

I can't find any store in my area that have it so trying it in person is not an option for me.
I would love for anyone to make me change my mind as I would be all over it if it could produce these kind of sounds easily - not so much if it takes enormous amount of fine tweaking just to counter the inherent sound signature of the synth which is what I currently suspect.
πŸ“ Reply