Quantcast
DSI Prophet 12 - Page 55 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DSI Prophet 12
Old 8th July 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Once again, your description sounds like a ground loop that can be fixed with a 50 cent adapter.
Old 8th July 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
If it was coming on unevenly at different notes pressed at similar velocity, I'd be surprised if it was that.
Old 8th July 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Here's a decent demonstration from Carson from his DSI tour when he visited Music Store in Colne.
YouTube
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rouqmirg ➑️
Once again, your description sounds like a ground loop that can be fixed with a 50 cent adapter.
agreed, you might also have interference by your house? the best thing to do when you have hum is to thwap the keyboard, sometimes a ground connector might be loose. Usually that will fix things. you might also be pressing part of the metal case while playing, causing more grounding issues.

I guess it doesn't matter because you gave up on it. If the hum went away with keypress, it'd be more a VCA issue, of something "defective". did you try calibrating the unit(I'm sure the VCA's have some calibration method)...
Old 8th July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm confused....in theory you like the synth, but it has a problem that others have not reported. Why not exchange it for another one?
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by messiaen ➑️
sounds pretty terrible, there are better demo;s out there! With mine, there was no chance of getting any kind of smooth sound, it was always kind of grainy, and even if it was slight on some things always there, so not really sure what is going on with it...
.........but still think I had a faulty one, this extra note from keybed was marked and horrible...despite other problems with....raspy digital noise even if I had only dialled in sine way, no lfor, no nothing.....filters seemed a little harsh to me....not as harsh as Roland SH32 the synth I hate most in the world, but it did almost remind me of that.... this constant wearing abrasiveness....I'm sure its not always meant to sound like that, obviuosly It can get filthy but it should also be able to be clean and creamy?, like the moog subphatty is meant to do. you can have clean kind of pure sounds and then dial in the grit.... on my prophet I could not ever get rit of grit.....
I think its a very informative demo showing off all the main features for any people who are interested in possibly owning the synth like me.
I think its a little unfair to say it sunds terrible because hes not even making a proper patch on it...more showing off the separate sections of the synth as well as its features.

It does suck that your P12 seems faulty especially coming from a fellow UK user as I am currently awaiting mine to come into stock (fingers crossed its not faulty).
I can say that as a user of DSI gear for a while now that their online support is very good and Im sure it would have been worth contacting them to find out what was actually wrong with it.

As for what you are looking for in return it seems like you are looking for something with a nice warm tone, I know Moog stuff is largely monophonic but if you look around you could definitely pick up a second hand Voyager for your budget...
They are monophonic and it only has two mod slots but its a good thick, warm, creamy sound and it also has FM on it to grit it up if needed.
Old 8th July 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I'm calling BS on that whole thing. And it's screwing up a perfectly good thread. Let's get on with other things now that it's out of the way.
Old 8th July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So, messiaen, you're swapping it for a new one or are you giving up on the P-12?
Old 8th July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
His unit is fine: he has plenty of time to type endless replies all over the place about this synthesizer before and after the purchase but fails to record that horrible wrong noise coming out of it. Just packed it up already uhuh. Sure. Yeah I believe you. In a totally impenetrable cardboard box yep, just too well packed.

Now this unit is going to be checked for nothing by the DSI repair department, costing everybody involved in the chain of manufacturing a lot of money for nothing, to be paid in the end by sane people that actually know what they are buying.

And NODOBY told the guy straight out that he should buy this synthesizer. NOBODY. And the people that didn't warn him off straight away told him that he should take his time and study the thing for at least half a year before he would be totally comfortable with it. So it goes away after a few days of vaguely described noise problems, naturally, who'd see that coming? Am I the only one that already expected without any doubt that this would be the scenario that would unfold? Buy. Regret. Return.

I don't mind eccentric people buying synthesizers for other reasons than to actually play with them even if they are scarce and out of production but please, this is a perfectly good synthesizer that would make anybody else waiting in line happy. Try to be crazy in a less selfish way.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransistorRhythm ➑️
His unit is fine: he has plenty of time to type endless replies all over the place about this synthesizer before and after the purchase but fails to record that horrible wrong noise coming out of it. Just packed it up already uhuh. Sure. Yeah I believe you. In a totally impenetrable cardboard box yep, just too well packed.

Now this unit is going to be checked for nothing by the DSI repair department, costing everybody involved in the chain of manufacturing a lot of money for nothing, to be paid in the end by sane people that actually know what they are buying.

And NODOBY told the guy straight out that he should buy this synthesizer. NOBODY. And the people that didn't warn him off straight away told him that he should take his time and study the thing for at least half a year before he would be totally comfortable with it. So it goes away after a few days of vaguely described noise problems, naturally, who'd see that coming? Am I the only one that already expected without any doubt that this would be the scenario that would unfold? Buy. Regret. Return.

I don't mind eccentric people buying synthesizers for other reasons than to actually play with them even if they are scarce and out of production but please, this is a perfectly good synthesizer that would make anybody else waiting in line happy. Try to be crazy in a less selfish way.
That's why I told him to get the Minimoog Model D in an earlier post ; though it was tongue in cheek and a bit sarcastic, I was basically telling him to play it safe...
Old 8th July 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Don't know why some of you guys are being so harsh to that dude.

I'm having the same distortion problem with my prophet and am awaiting a reply from DSI.

With the oscillators levels low, no drive or distortion, mine seems to distort with master volume anywhere above 50. Most of the preset volume are programmed above 100, and almost all of them distort. It's not good distortion, it's kinda random, and digital sounding.

It's definitely not my system. My prophet distorts even when sending out incredibly low volume. Notice it more on headphones for sure.

Loving the synth other than that. Just wondering whats up with this.
Old 8th July 2013
tomcc
Maybe you got the Dave Smith Demo model.
We all know Dave is a bit heavy with the distortion on everything so it could be the one he did the demo on.
Touched by the hand of Dave
Old 8th July 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
OK everyone needs to calm down a bit - hot summer means hot tempers
Deleted 4d80fd1
Messiaen I don't know if you are going to go for another Pro 12 given the issue with yours.. if I were in your shoes and considering another synth that I think has a great sound and is new not vintage I'd look at the accelerator (though no analog filters). Just a suggestion
Old 8th July 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Messiaen, I'm personally not giving up on the Prophet 12. For me, there is nothing else quite like it. I have no regret about the purchase, other than this problem.

The store i ordered from checked their unit, and they said they noticed the same thing.

After spending 7 hours trying to make my patches not distort, to no avail, I have no desire to play my brand new instrument. Which is a serious bummer. Cause other than this, it sounds awesome.

If this isn't fixed, I am probably going to send it back. But waiting to see what DSi says first.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I have'nt come across this behaviour on my P12!
Old 8th July 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
could be a problem in a particular batch, as you and messiaen are first to call on it. very early in production, so wouldn't be at all surprising. Definitely let dsi know..
Old 8th July 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Capt Noobington,

Thats what I'm thinking, I'll keep you guys posted when I hear back.
Old 8th July 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Might be interesting to know what number your units are!
Old 8th July 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Mine is serial number 70.
Old 8th July 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Mines 80
Old 8th July 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Some of you guys are funny. Enough of the hate. Friendship!!
Old 9th July 2013
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Damn, some of you get sooooo worked up over strangers on an internet forum, I'd hate to see how you operate in real life with real problems. Are your heads constantly exploding? I'm choosing to believe that this is all for my entertainment...

But seriously... the lesson should be learned to contact the manufacturer if you suspect a product defect... DSI has great customer service. I'm sure the helpdesk over at DSI has a bit more knowledge about their synths than internet forum posters...

Messian, I do feel for you. My P08 (which was my intro to synthesis) had bad encoders from the get go (late 2007). I was such a noob that I thought the problem was mine, not the synths. Over the years my knowledge grew and I islolated the problem (which previously mystified me). I emailed DSI, they helped me with the fix, and now my P08 plays better than it did 6 years ago. I'm really glad I didn't give up on it. But another lesson to be learned... avoid new DSI products for a few months until early buyers people like Messian discover the bugs.
Old 9th July 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
sounds very strange. DSI QC all their synths as they leave the factory.

No issues reported here.

i just cant believe how cool it sounds. for 3 grand it sounds like an analog synths should, with a bunch of modern features.

I have heard better synths but they costed the price of a small car.

Hell of a lot of bang for your buck, i don't know any synth that even comes close to this kind of sounds for this price.
Old 9th July 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz ➑️
Funnily enough, neither do you

I think the reason you've been treated with such derision is the fact that you came in here complaining that your brand new synthesiser sounded crap through a guitar amp and didn't seem interested in troubleshooting or opening up a conversation with DSI, which is what the majority of us would of done, despite many people offering to try to help and offering possible solutions.

This isn't a thread for only P12 owners - if it was, you wouldn't be allowed in here any more. So please, get off the high horse and chill, this isn't your forum, it's a community forum.
Eh, sounds like trolling, this m808 guy does too. 5 posts and only this thread, and same type of internet speak as mess(I've learned from years of synth buying avoiding scams by learning people's internet speak style(not really sure what it's really called))
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3001 ➑️
Eh, sounds like trolling, this m808 guy does too. 5 posts and only this thread, and same type of internet speak as mess(I've learned from years of synth buying avoiding scams by learning people's internet speak style(not really sure what it's really called))
Yes highly dubious. If they are two different people I will be very surprised.
Old 9th July 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Maybe I only have 5 posts on gearslutz because people are already calling me a troll.

You guys are paranoid.

Heard from DSI, sent them a sound sample. We shall see...
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbit ➑️
Yes highly dubious. If they are two different people I will be very surprised.
Yup, and joined today just to say how his prophet is noisy.

Pretty stupid troll. You can do better than that.

Mess, you've duped to even lower status than before
Old 9th July 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Here is a sound clip...

Is this normal? That is patch bank 1 patch 9 and is the bottom half of the split.

https://soundcloud.com/michaelbailey_808/pro12-problem
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb808 ➑️
Here is a sound clip...

Is this normal? That is patch bank 1 patch 9 and is the bottom half of the split.

https://soundcloud.com/michaelbailey_808/pro12-problem
That sounds distorted.
πŸ“ Reply