DSI Prophet 12 - Page 54 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DSI Prophet 12
Old 4th July 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by messiaen ➑️
Hi, i'm a noob at synths, so probably should not have got a prophet 12 as my first 'real' synth but WTF I have and its too late...

I have a question about the lfo's , are they not responsible for that squelchy sound that synths make?, i'm not sure if i'm just not doing it right but I can barely get any kind of good squelch no matter how high i push the parameters , i wonder if you've experiemented and found some way of getting that helicopter blade sound that yes had been done to death but you expect a $3000 synth to do quite easily! Am I missing something simple?

I'm finding it brilliant at exactly the kind of sounds you're recorded, its made for huge cavernous soundscape, but what else? Too early to tell, its going to be a very steep learning curve!!
helicopter noise like this? moogicopter Moog Voyager Helicopter Noise Mixer - YouTube
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarelch ➑️
..but I wish there was more demos like the epic one by Rozzer...
Just wanted to sneak in and say thanks, reading that made my day

Now back to the regularly scheduled chaos...
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by droolmaster0 ➑️
And by the way, I did get a good answer from DSI finally about my LFO question.....
I'm a lot more interested in this than I am in whether or not that aircraft carrier's tires are flat.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsFromTheSky ➑️
I'm a lot more interested in this than I am in whether or not that aircraft carrier's tires are flat.
Hahaha!

On a serious note though, yes I am interested in hearing your response from DSI.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
oh, well, I should have thought of this, but ....

the lfo is bipolar, so to get the whole range, you'd set the modulated lfo about halfway....
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by slippast ➑️
Sometimes turning things all the way up is the wrong approach.
I disagree. All parameters at maximum values all the time, I say. Especially volume. It worked for Spinal Tap. It will work for messiaen.

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

the lfo is bipolar, so to get the whole range, you'd set the modulated lfo about halfway....
Questions like "what's the difference between a bipolar and unipolar LFO and what happens when I switch between the two modes" is exactly the kind of thing that's going to make a beginner miserable (you know who I'm talking about).

Maybe the idea of starting off with a simple free softsynth was not so bad after all...

D.
Old 4th July 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hello guys,

I had heard the end of January the Arpegiator up to 32 programmable steps would be, I can not remember where that was, here or in the forum DSI, or at the Namm? Alzheimer crap...
Maybe someone knows?

With a view to Manuel but you can see them no more.
Does anyone have more info?

ps: sorry my english is like a sausage...
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studiodragon ➑️
Hello guys,

I had heard the end of January the Arpegiator up to 32 programmable steps would be, I can not remember where that was, here or in the forum DSI, or at the Namm? Alzheimer crap...
Maybe someone knows?

With a view to Manuel but you can see them no more.
Does anyone have more info?

ps: sorry my english is like a sausage...
Hi,

Yeah, you are right cant find the info either, would be nice to know how many steps its got.

maybe someone who has got theirs would like to chime in on the matter!

And your English is not really bad, my French is like a severe table vine
Old 5th July 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Ah yes, that makes sense - you were clipping half of the modulation range. Easy mistake to make.

re the arpeggiator:

The manual doesn't mention any programmable patterns - there's Up, Down, Up+Down, Assign (notes in order played, no limit given), and Random. I remember this being mentioned as well, so hopefully there's a more powerful arpeggiator in the works that just didn't make the cut for version 1.0.

I need to get my hands on one of these, stat.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I really hope so too, that would be really great if they have that planned.
Sometimes (far to often) it is great to interact with something mano a mano for a long time, without being bogged down with screens and other things, and a good arp or a well intergrated sequencer is ace, when that happens. Well, time will tell i guess.
Old 5th July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Anyone got their hands on one yet? I await user feedback
Old 5th July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Yeah, lots of people. There is a user review thread on the dsi forum
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Would the DC offset feature allow you to change the LFO from bipolar to unipolar?
Sorry if this is a stupid question, ive never used a synth with the DC offset feature..
Old 6th July 2013 | Show parent
Pym
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Expanding the arp functionality is one of the first things we plan on doing. It has memory set aside for 32 steps programmable.

Quote:
Ah yes, that makes sense - you were clipping half of the modulation range. Easy mistake to make.

re the arpeggiator:

The manual doesn't mention any programmable patterns - there's Up, Down, Up+Down, Assign (notes in order played, no limit given), and Random. I remember this being mentioned as well, so hopefully there's a more powerful arpeggiator in the works that just didn't make the cut for version 1.0.

I need to get my hands on one of these, stat.
Old 6th July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pym ➑️
Expanding the arp functionality is one of the first things we plan on doing. It has memory set aside for 32 steps programmable.
I forgot that... Not only is this machine good, but it's going to get better!!!! Thank you DSI!!!
Old 6th July 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Its probably not an ideal first synth, but who gives a ****, its going to be a blast to learn on!!
exactly man... just have fun and enjoy. at least your learning on a real instrument as apposed to a computer.
Old 6th July 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
excellent demo of some gentler and other sounds here from 6:33 onwards - one of the best of all the demos so far, I think :

DSI The Prophet 12 (Italian spoken) - YouTube
Old 6th July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Finally tried it out today, sounds excellent - warm and creamy through to crazy modulation screaming filth, a real synthesists synth. Very well laid out panel for intuitive programming with huge depth from the mod matrix, LFO's, wavetables and the tuned delay which is frankly awesome and doesn't get discussed about anything like as much as it should.

Think I'm going to have to get one in.
Old 6th July 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Distortion and noise on the output could require an adapter to remove ground loops. May need one on the synth and one on your amp. Just depends. I'm no expert on the subject but have had to do this on both my Yamaha hs50m monitors and the kurzweil k2000.
Old 7th July 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by adydub ➑️
Finally tried it out today, sounds excellent - warm and creamy through to crazy modulation screaming filth, a real synthesists synth. Very well laid out panel for intuitive programming with huge depth from the mod matrix, LFO's, wavetables and the tuned delay which is frankly awesome and doesn't get discussed about anything like as much as it should.

Think I'm going to have to get one in.
Good to hear. I'm just waiting for one to be around nearby for me to try out.
Old 7th July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Sounds pretty good! I think I might try and get one, I'm going to have to demo it first though. I really like the arpeggiated sounds, I could really use those a lot in my tracks, and the filter's squiggly enough for me, would make a great controller as well. I wonder if i sell the PEK if it'd be an improvement, Iv'e been a bit bummed out that I dont have an eventide space anymore...that seemed to make the poly= (
Old 7th July 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
The poly will be sought after! If you can try to keep it!
Old 8th July 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Ha ha, havn't had much to spend on my new baby, but took it back to total basics, dialed in bsic waveform and let in grow from there and its all making a lot more sense....even got the lfo's to work thier magic! of course i've a lot to learn, all of you right clever bastards were beginners once too don't forget!!

Its probably not an ideal first synth, but who gives a ****, its going to be a blast to learn on!!

It sounds exactly as it does in the demo's proving that demos are very accurate soundwise. Its not particulaly warm sounding, but not cold either, it can be very clean, crystalline, its very rich when it come to more bell like tones, it really sings.... fantastic at alien weirdness too, when its pushed hard with all sorts of crazyness, I can tell already there's a lot in this thing, it'll take me a while to discover all its dark secrets.........
You're taking teasing a lot better this time around, that's positive. But in honesty my first hardware synth was a Jupiter 6 and I was in a little over my head even with a simple synth like that so I know where you're at. But in simple terms even extremely complex subtractive synths can be easy to grasp because architecture is so basic. You can get pretty far with a saw wave a filter and an envelope. So don't worry too much about the modulation matrix or the complex evolving waveforms of the oscillators, that'll all come in time. Just practice building simple and common synth sounds.

One thing that might help is to find a softsynth and load up some presets, look at the settings and try to recreate them on the prophet.
Old 8th July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Did you try

a) a different synth over the same speakers

and / or

b) a different monitoring?

or still your guitar amp?
Old 8th July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
....so you haven't tested it with headphones?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Can't you connect it to your computer's sound card, or your home stereo, or just a pair of headhones.

I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to return it.

D.
Old 8th July 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
There's not that many owners yet for you to compare with - but if you go over to the VSE or DSI forums you'll find some new owners giving positive feedback. Because your review seems to be so different from the other new users so far on here and on the other forums, and particularly because youre talking about a hum coming in and out even with no changes, it sounds like you might have a defective unit.
Old 8th July 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
no one else that I've seen has posted that they're getting uneven distortion on different notes, hum coming in and out before turning the knobs, and things like that - why not send DSI an email. They ve generally got a good image on getting back to people and things like that, so might answer you directly .
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Can you make a recording of the sounds that sound wrong?

D.
πŸ“ Reply