Quantcast
DSI Prophet 12 - Page 53 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DSI Prophet 12
Old 1st July 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think the acid test for any instrument for me is whether I could actually produce a whole album with it unaided by anything else. That's very rare, and not realized very often. So far, for me, that's only ever occurred with a handful of software synth's, instruments in the likes of Reaktor and Reason, are so beautiful, that I have literally made whole albums with just one sound in some cases. If the sound fits the mood and the character of what you are trying to achieve you are 99.9% there. I am hoping that the Pro12 will be one of those "classic" instruments that will allow me do do this, so far, it hasn't happened for me with hardware. I haven't had the chance to try this out yet, but I'm hoping to do it later on in the year, will post some comments here, or hopefully some finished tracks......if I buy one.

WB.
Old 1st July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So how is it compared to a Waldorf Blofeld?
Old 1st July 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance ➑️
In what respect?

Obviously the blofeld is a small, menu based synth, selling at a relatively low price. Obviously the p12 has a keyboard, and other control surfaces, while the blofeld does not.

What things in an instrument are important to you? Sound quality is a subjective thing, as are many of the features, etc.

Is this simply, "which is better". I've used both of these instruments, but I'm not really going to try to answer this kind of open ended question without some kind of specific focus as to what is important to you.

And obviously also, glancing through the respective manuals can give you some idea....
Old 1st July 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I had the opportunity to try one today in a music store. The things that struck me the most in the 20 minutes I tried it was how much better the interface is compared to the prophet 08 and poly evolver (but to be honest I actually just played them in music stores as well).

Much easier to dial in the right amount and I really like that you always have the 4 encoders at the top of the screen that gets assigned to whatever page you are tweaking for the moment. They are step based endless encoders and is great if you just need to go one step up or down.

But the part I really loved was how much fun it was to just play while tweaking the character section, the tuned feedback, output distortion and actually every other knob I could find. (Also I found the spread function to be great, didn't know it had that).

I own the Blofeld and it's an extremely capable synth for the money. As far as modulation etc. goes it got more than many other more expensive synth. But the sound quality of the prophet 12 is better. But I can't really say that much about the sound of the prophet after my limited time with it. Didn't find anything to complain about and the character section did make it very versatile.

Sorry I for the long post. I just got so excited and I'm getting on as soon as they have one available!
Old 2nd July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance ➑️
Old 2nd July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Wow, blofeld comparisons. Does it really sound that bad? The blofelds filters IMO are terrible. Its cold and digital sounding. I'm guessing the prophets filters must add some warmth.
Old 2nd July 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedavine ➑️
Wow, blofeld comparisons. Does it really sound that bad? The blofelds filters IMO are terrible. Its cold and digital sounding. I'm guessing the prophets filters must add some warmth.
Remember that these are all subjective considerations. I think that the blofeld sounds quite good....I prefer the Q, but even that synth has been described as 'cold and digital'.

For sound quality issues, you really have to try the synth yourself, or be satisfied that you are hearing representative demos.

Personally, I love the sound of the Q. I would say that the p12 sounds 'warmer', whatever that really means. But the real improvements are in the interface.....
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by droolmaster0 ➑️
Remember that these are all subjective considerations. I think that the blofeld sounds quite good....I prefer the Q, but even that synth has been described as 'cold and digital'.

For sound quality issues, you really have to try the synth yourself, or be satisfied that you are hearing representative demos.

Personally, I love the sound of the Q. I would say that the p12 sounds 'warmer', whatever that really means. But the real improvements are in the interface.....
thats what people dont seem to get.
good interfaces turn good synths into great instruments, they become so much more than the sum of their parts.

but now besides wanting a solaris i now want one of these too!
Old 2nd July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm quite interested in the Solaris...maybe at next winter's bonus.

But what you say is very true, I think. Static demos of this feature or that don't really go very far. What you really want to ascertain, to the degree possible, is how is it possible to really interact with this instrument on the fly. To really create soundscapes, compositions where the timbres change dramatically, etc . This mythical 'sound quality' only goes so far. There is this cliche, but it really does have a core element of truth to it - how does this synthesizer really stack up as an instrument.....

In this context, I am very fond of the p12 right now. I can find several things that annoy me about it, but ultimately, it is that 'sum of the parts' thing, and I find that to be extremely positive right now.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I'm quite interested in the Solaris...maybe at next winter's bonus.

But what you say is very true, I think. Static demos of this feature or that don't really go very far. What you really want to ascertain, to the degree possible, is how is it possible to really interact with this instrument on the fly. To really create soundscapes, compositions where the timbres change dramatically, etc . This mythical 'sound quality' only goes so far. There is this cliche, but it really does have a core element of truth to it - how does this synthesizer really stack up as an instrument.....

In this context, I am very fond of the p12 right now. I can find several things that annoy me about it, but ultimately, it is that 'sum of the parts' thing, and I find that to be extremely positive right now.
i figured it out quite a few years ago, when i had lots of synths

i had a fs-1r and a k5000, both great synths but, they together in the amount of time, were used far less than my xpander even though i had patch editors for them.
programming them felt like getting the life sucked out of me

before that, when younger i was stubborn and angry enough to work my way through those type of synths ie dx-7 bashing away at that single slider small screen 'interfaces'
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
What annoys you about it? (Not interested in bashing it, considering getting one and want to know what I'm in for.)
Old 2nd July 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
another good run-through of some sounds, for those interested :

Dave Smith Instruments Prophet 12 Demo - YouTube
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsFromTheSky ➑️
What annoys you about it? (Not interested in bashing it, considering getting one and want to know what I'm in for.)
Well...I still don't have a clear answer from DSI - it looks like the guy is going to insist on me sending him a sample patch, even though I explained the issue in detail, and he seemed to agree with me.....but I have not been able to modulate an lfo with another one through the full lfo range. Even with everything set to max, it only modulates a little bit.

I also don't like the way that the stacked layer mode works in some ways. It seems to me that given the fact that there is only one midi channel available for the instrument, you would want midi controllers to affect both programs in the layer, but this only happens when you have both layers selected.....but then every edit affects both patches. Which means basically that you can't send it sequenced controllers affecting the whole layered sound, but also edit one patch at a time.

I think that while the synth is tremendously flexible overall, with a great interface, that it wasn't really designed for 'extreme' users like me -it seems difficult to get very extreme sounds out of it.

But as I've said already - in the context of the entire instrument, i'm not finding these problems to be major.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thong ➑️
i figured it out quite a few years ago, when i had lots of synths

i had a fs-1r and a k5000, both great synths but, they together in the amount of time, were used far less than my xpander even though i had patch editors for them.
Two of the best synths for traditional 'ambient' I think, with the jd800.

Back OT, I've read in a couple of places now that the interface/useability on the P12 is great. Getting hard to resist it..
Old 2nd July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I don't get it why there are so many videos with tacky sounds out there.
Nothing against pads etc. I do it as well if they sound warm and "alive"...
but I wish there was more demos like the epic one by Rozzer.

So far, the only demo that gave me GAS.
Old 2nd July 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
still early days..don't think there's been enough units shipped out yet for there to be a really good variety of demos with something for everyone / in-depth programming etc. DSI starts up production slowly, & as said, I remember it took ages for the demos to appear when the po8 came out ..
Old 3rd July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I don't find the sound distorted when I don't explicitly distort it....

What happens when you create a 'basic patch' from the global menu?
Old 3rd July 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by messiaen ➑️
Prophet 12 arrived today!!! Serial number 00110, not quite in the first 100!!

First impressions, looks and smells beautiful, true craftsmanship gone into this, very sexy.

sounds...... too me quite harsh sounding, every preset seems to have a raspy distorted sound I wonder if this is normal? Is it faulty?

I've got it through output a, going into a Roland Bass Cube amp, maybe not ideal but I'm not sure of the sound at the moment, I've nothing to compare it with?

Do any other owners notice that it seems quite hard to get a very clean sound out of it!!!

Bearing in mind i'm pretty much a noob its going to be a steep learnng curve!!

Very easy to get very weird, strange oddball and soundscape sounds, with delays etc, haven't even began to dig deep, just not sure about that harshness, I wasn't expecting warmth as such, but I would like a bit of smoothness when I need to

PLEASE TELL ME I HAVN'T BOUGHT ANOTHER DUD????
Hard to say until you have checked it out with headphones and played it through something other than a guitar amp.

Good luck!
Old 3rd July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
There are multiple demos out there of the presets. Does yours sound like this? Yours should sound even better, since these videos are generally mp3s.

If it doesn't sound like the demos, then obviously something else is going on.

Obviously you need to plug it into something else, try headphones, etc, before coming to any conclusions.
Old 3rd July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
If you send it to me, ill check it out for you - I've got a different guitar amp

Seriously though, listen to it through headphones and compare it to what's on the net, shouldn't be too hard to spot if there's a problem.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
You're passing judgment on it based on how it sounds through a Roland Bass Cube?

When you buy an electric or electronic musical instrument, you have to budget also for decent monitors, amp, and/or headphones.

There are plenty of perfectly clean, smooth sounds in some of the recent preset demos. Get some headphones or something else to play it through before you panic.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielb ➑️
Have fun, and expect a few frustrating moments before you get your head around everything.

D.
He could even expect hating it for a little while, before true love kicks in
Old 4th July 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
So what you're saying is that the Poly61 that you bought all those months ago was probably fine and it's your amp that's shot? Ha.

This totally the wrong thread but I seem to remember recommending (and even providing links) to some free soft synths that would teach you the basics of subtractive synthesis. Apparently you didn't take that advice if you haven't figured out what your LFO should do.

"Hi guys. I need to get to the corner market to buy milk. I'm thinking I'll buy an aircraft carrier to get me there, what do you think?"

"Um, why not start with a compact car...?"

"WHY AREN'T YOU HELPING ME?"

OKAY. Go buy a $20 set of Sennheisers so your $3000 instrument won't sound like complete ****. Next route LFO 1 to VCF, put all LFO and VCF settings at about 50%. If you turn the LFO up too far it will go into the audio range and be too fast to hear the woosh of the passing helicopter, it'll just sound 'squelchy'. Sometimes turning things all the way up is the wrong approach.

Also, try turning down the synth volume, you might be over-driving your Cube's preamp.

And again, I beg you. For the love of god, download a simple VSTi and learn how this stuff works before you jump onto this thread and begin implying that the problem is that synth that's broken and not your vast knowledge gap.

I guess at the very least Dave Smith has a a bit more money in the bank....
Old 4th July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by slippast ➑️
So what you're saying is that the Poly61 that you bought all those months ago was probably fine and it's your amp that's shot? Ha.

This totally the wrong thread but I seem to remember recommending (and even providing links) to some free soft synths that would teach you the basics of subtractive synthesis. Apparently you didn't take that advice if you haven't figured out what your LFO should do.

"Hi guys. I need to get to the corner market to buy milk. I'm thinking I'll buy an aircraft carrier to get me there, what do you think?"

OKAY. Go buy a $20 set of Sennheisers so your $3000 instrument won't sound like complete ****. Next route LFO 1 to VCF, put all LFO and VCF settings at about 50%. If you turn the LFO up too far it will go into the audio range and be too fast to hear the woosh of the passing helicopter, it'll just sound 'squelchy'. Sometimes turning things all the way up is the wrong approach.

Also, try turning down the synth volume, you might be over-driving your Cube's preamp.

And again, I beg you. For the love of god, download a simple VSTi and learn how this stuff works before you jump onto this thread and begin implying that the problem is that synth that's broken and not your vast knowledge gap.

I guess at the very least Dave Smith has a a bit more money in the bank....
"I'm thinking I'll buy an aircraft carrier to get me there, what do you think?"!!!!!
Old 4th July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
No words can express how jealous I am that this guy owns a pro12.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747
Old 4th July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Hi, i'm a noob at synths, so probably should not have got a prophet 12 as my first 'real' synth but WTF I have and its too late...

I have a question about the lfo's , are they not responsible for that squelchy sound that synths make?, i'm not sure if i'm just not doing it right but I can barely get any kind of good squelch no matter how high i push the parameters , i wonder if you've experiemented and found some way of getting that helicopter blade sound that yes had been done to death but you expect a $3000 synth to do quite easily! Am I missing something simple?

I'm finding it brilliant at exactly the kind of sounds you're recorded, its made for huge cavernous soundscape, but what else? Too early to tell, its going to be a very steep learning curve!!
How is it too late?? You just got it today, can't you send it back for a refund???
Old 4th July 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
*Searches for popcorn-munching emoticon...*
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielb ➑️
You're new at synths and your first real synth is a monster. Don't expect to master it in a day, or even a month, or six months, for that matter.

To start with, see if you can find an init or default sound. Then turn off everything except one oscillator, one filter, one LFO and one envelope. I've no idea how to do this since I don't have a Prophet 12, but it probably can be done.

Learn how they interact. See how the LFO modulates the filter, and what happens when you turn the filter cutoff up and down while the LFO is modulating it. Try modulating oscillator pitch too, since it is very obvious what's going on when you do that.

Once you think you've got that, turn on some more stuff and experiment with modulation routings.

Have fun, and expect a few frustrating moments before you get your head around everything.

D.

There is a key command ( I dont remeber what it is) that creates a init patch (well a very basic patch) so you can jump straight into editing.
Also what is squelch? Moog bass squelch?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by slippast ➑️

****ing brilliant.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
wow....

I'd say the following. Unless you have very particular tastes, I think that the prophet 12 will be just fine for you.

But I think that you need to calm down. If the store that you bought it from has a return policy, it's probably something like 30 days, at least. And if they don't, for some reason, you'll be able to sell the thing for most of what you got it for.

But it's really kind of strange that you're posting these kind of messages about achieving this sound or that, when apparently, you've never achieved them on other synths. Maybe you just have no idea how to get there from here? The prophet 12 has all of the basic subtractive components, plus a lot more. While I don't think it sounds vintage, I think it sounds good, and so maybe you need to just spend a few days and use just the basic subtractive synthesis components. Create a basic patch, and don't bring in any fx other than the filters, for instance.

You're asking ME how to make a helicopter sound? I don't think I've ever tried to make an emulative sound like that in my life....but in order to make these kind of sounds you either have to read up on how people do it, or analyze what's happening. Try a relative fast lfo (maybe square wave) modulating the vca and filter? I don't know. I don't have a clear helicopter sound in my mind.

But this is rather ridiculous.

And by the way, I did get a good answer from DSI finally about my LFO question.....

Quote:
Hi, i'm a noob at synths, so probably should not have got a prophet 12 as my first 'real' synth but WTF I have and its too late...

I have a question about the lfo's , are they not responsible for that squelchy sound that synths make?, i'm not sure if i'm just not doing it right but I can barely get any kind of good squelch no matter how high i push the parameters , i wonder if you've experiemented and found some way of getting that helicopter blade sound that yes had been done to death but you expect a $3000 synth to do quite easily! Am I missing something simple?

I'm finding it brilliant at exactly the kind of sounds you're recorded, its made for huge cavernous soundscape, but what else? Too early to tell, its going to be a very steep learning curve!!
πŸ“ Reply