Quantcast
DSI Prophet 12 - Page 50 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DSI Prophet 12
Old 22nd June 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Some of the sounds I've heard from the various designers are pretty good by presets standards - it's always going to be subjective though - synths are there to tweak ..
Old 22nd June 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ourfamous dead ➡️
Ive just stumbled across a new video (part of a track) showing some of the sounds from bank 1.

Dave Smith Prophet 12 - Sounds from Bank 1 - YouTube
Good to see some newer demos turning up.
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mekohler ➡️
Why? I thought nnrpn wasn't supported in Live/M4L.
m4l sends nnrpn no problem

sysex isn't supported

other aspects of nnrpn -- i dont know

Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by droolmaster0 ➡️
Just picked up mine this evening, and my very, very first impressions are positive.

However - can anyone who already owns this tell me, because I have yet to find it in the manual....

Is there any way to initialize a preset? better still, is there a way to wipe all of the f**ckers out?
go drool go!

looking fwd to some demos!!!
Old 22nd June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years

looks like another one uploaded. All these demos so far are making hte p12 sound pretty bland.

I'm looking to hear what others can really do with this machine!
Old 22nd June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yes -- still looking forward to some demos that really push the capabilities of the digital oscillators to their outer limits.
Old 22nd June 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Synthmania is promising a proper one, and he's pretty good when he gets going ..
Old 22nd June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
All these demos tbh, have sounded like garbage! I really think the p12 sucks at emulating old sounds, but I'm hoping there'll be a better one made soon that shows new capabilities and not just emulating old stuff that well, does it better since it's the original.

also please no dubstep basslines in a demo. it's so sad to see otb emulate ITB
Old 22nd June 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
To me, what I 've heard the p12 sound particularly good at are some traditional sounds with a full, slightly extreme edge, with uite a lot of movement in them - maybe the modulation, layers, analog distortion and delay used a particular way. It's such a fully featured synth it will take people ages to use all the features and bring them together.
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3001 ➡️

looks like another one uploaded. All these demos so far are making hte p12 sound pretty bland.

I'm looking to hear what others can really do with this machine!
nice one imo
Old 22nd June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Anyone have a shipping date on theirs? Musiciansfriend moved it back to mid July :(
Old 22nd June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I hear what some of you guys are saying, but I think I disagree. I hear a lot of potential in this synth, and I'm actually ready to order one. I think it'll be great for my needs, at least. As I stated before, I think they could have done more with it, considering the digital oscillators and all, but I'm excited enough about this synth to go ahead and order one on Monday from my local dealer. The first of a handful of "big" synth purchases this year - should be bloody good.
Old 23rd June 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3001 ➡️
All these demos tbh, have sounded like garbage! I really think the p12 sucks at emulating old sounds, but I'm hoping there'll be a better one made soon that shows new capabilities and not just emulating old stuff that well, does it better since it's the original.

also please no dubstep basslines in a demo. it's so sad to see otb emulate ITB
That's just it. This synth was not made to emulate old sounds. This synth is the future
Old 23rd June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've been messing with mine now for a couple of days.

My feelings are quite positive, but some brief comments. I'm sure that I will be labeled a "hater"....

The core sound quality is better than the p08, but still quite compromised. I think that it lacks detail, guts, and girth. Just my opinion....very good, but not superb.

However, the user interface is quite excellent, the mod routings are excellent, and personally, I love the fact that droning the sounds is as easy as pressing the Hold button....I also really like the sliders, and their implementation. They send out controllers also, so I will have to make use of that, though unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way of remapping controllers within the instrument. It also seems like you can't set each layer to a different midi channel. Am I wrong on that? Is there some technical reason for this?

my feeling is that I will use it mostly as a drone machine. It's great for that.

Disclaimer - I really don't care a bit for traditional synth sounds, and wish I could just delete all of the crap presets on the thing.

It's a deep machine, and I'm sure that my opinion will evolve over the coming days as I experiment with various modulations and other features. My comments about the sound quality notwithstanding, I do think that this is one of the best poly synths I've tried. I guess the closest in some ways to the sound/features is my Q. Because of its strength in setting up evolving drones, I would tend to favor the p12 at this point. That is really a strong compliment. I also have a matrix 12, and while the matrix sound is much bigger, all in all, I think that the p12 offers more.

Very favorable review thus far.
Old 23rd June 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
On the demos available thus far, it sounds like the oscillators are "thicker" sounding...nearly opposite of the DCOs in the earlier DSI stuff. Am I correct?
Old 23rd June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I haven't really done any analysis of oscillators vs oscillators + filter, etc. I've just tried to make music with it....so, I'm not really sure.

Logically though, if he's using the same chips for the filter as in the p08 (?) then to my ears there is definitely an improvement in the oscillators. It does sound much better to me.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Sounds like thor.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesEdward ➡️
Sounds like thor.
smells like troll
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Has there been any talk of an editor? The interface is excellent, but it would be nice to be able to have all of the modulations onscreen simultaneously and edit them quickly.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogberto ➡️
smells like troll
3 grand for harsh sounding digital oscillators, no thanks. I bet roger linn put dave upto this whole digital synth thing.
Old 23rd June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well, I certainly don't have the reputation of being a DSI fanboy, but some of these comments strike me as a bit bizarre....

So much of whether an instrument is worth the money or not comes down to taste. Perhaps (to my mind), the most important factor comes down to the entire package....

I had no interest in this thing until I read through the manual, and realized that if indeed the sound quality was improved (to my taste and ears) from the p08, I might actually be able to use it.

thus far, I'd say that it is extremely well designed, which I suppose most generally means that as an instrument, it exceeds the sum of its parts.

As I posted already - I'm not totally convinced by the core sound quality, but in the context of the interface, and what it can do overall, it is really just fine. What I wonder about is when people judge an instrument so definitively based on a few demos that they hear on the internet.

While it doesn't have some of the amenities that the xpander has (stuff that brings that instrument a bit closer to the true spirit of a modular) like the triggering of envelopes with lfos, and it doesn't have the sheer number of modulation shapes, like the tracking generators, ramps, etc - you can modulate some stuff more effectively and drastically than the xpander. The p12 just responds better. And there is just so much there for sonic exploration. Again - my disclaimer is that I'm trying to get as far away as I can from classic synth sounds....

Just one example - you can set the envelope to repeat and set the instrument to 'hold', then modulate the envelope parameters. And the envelopes can spin around very fast when you let them.....and then simultaneously use the same modulations to control other parameters that have a drastic affect on the sound - maybe use the sliders to do this - and the sliders offer both position and pressure.

This thing really is great fun.

There is the phenomenon where you just have spent a bunch of $, and you want to justify your purchase psychologically - as well as just succumbing to something different and new. But right now, all in all, this is my favorite polysynth. Sure - some have a better pure sound, but I'll defer to the vast possibilities combined with an excellent interface if I have to make a choice.

So, my reaction to it, after playing it for a couple of days, is that (compared to other instruments) the price isn't out of line at all. Do people really expect some perfect, pure analog synth - sounding like the Sunsyn, etc, or some classic analog polysynth, along with the huge modulation options, one knob per function, etc, for $3,000? I mean, that sure ain't going to happen.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I guess the closest in some ways to the sound/features is my Q. Because of its strength in setting up evolving drones, I would tend to favor the p12 at this point. That is really a strong compliment. I also have a matrix 12, and while the matrix sound is much bigger, all in all, I think that the p12 offers more.
Next time you're evolving some drones, I and others would be really appreciative if you'd hit "record"
Old 23rd June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I always do, but I don't always feel satisfied enough with them to post them in these kind of contexts.

Edit: Oh, what the hell. this is the p12. I forget whether I had the reverb turned on at this point, but it kind of sounds like I did.....

Probably sounds a lot better if you download it...

http://soundcloud.com/ancient-eyebal...am-transfusion

Deleted 46dc28f
Quote:

The core sound quality is better than the p08, but still quite compromised. I think that it lacks detail, guts, and girth. Just my opinion....very good, but not superb.

I guess the closest in some ways to the sound/features is my Q.
Are the detail, guts, and girth on par with the Waldorf Q?

How is the raw sound without effects or "thickening" parameters added? To put this in context, my former Supernova II's raw sound without internal effects was extremely dull/quiet.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I always do, but I don't always feel satisfied enough with them to post them in these kind of contexts.

Edit: Oh, what the hell. this is the p12. I forget whether I had the reverb turned on at this point, but it kind of sounds like I did.....

Scream transfusion by Ancient Eyeball Recipe on SoundCloud - Hear the world’s sounds

mayhem ! sounds like a building site at the centre of the grand canyon.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesEdward ➡️
3 grand for harsh sounding digital oscillators, no thanks. I bet roger linn put dave upto this whole digital synth thing.
Uh...You mean the guy who had a direct hand in the creation of the Prophet VS and the Wavestation, built the first synth with a microprocessor and digital presets and is also the godfather of the musical instrument digital interface? He also helped create the world's first all digital software synth.

I find it strange that people get on Dave Smith Instruments for releasing a digital oscillator synth. The man has a long track record of building digital musical equipment, possibly the longest of any musical instrument creator. If DCOs would've been around when the P5 was built you can bet it would have them.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Scream transfusion by Ancient Eyeball Recipe on SoundCloud - Hear the world’s sounds

Great sounds. Probably not what I would be immediately using mine for but definitely shows off its flexibility and yes it's definitely got an edge to it.

It's good to hear you have spent some more time with it, your review seems really unbiased too which is good.

Looking forward to hearing some more sounds (or maybe a video?!)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by e6400ultra ➡️
Are the detail, guts, and girth on par with the Waldorf Q?

How is the raw sound without effects or "thickening" parameters added? To put this in context, my former Supernova II's raw sound without internal effects was extremely dull/quiet.
I'm lucky enough to have a Q, which I hadn't played in awhile, and did a very brief comparison. They just sound so different that I really can't compare, other than I think that they will complement one another. There were some things I preferred about the Q's sound, and some that I preferred about the p12. However, I think that the p12 is capable of more, overall.

There are so many internal fx on the p12 - the delay, feedback, distortion, and the Character fx. I just really went immediately to improvise with it as an instrument, and I really haven't broken it down well enough to answer your question adequately.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by messiaen ➡️
so glad its not just trying to ****ing emulate 80's synths that every saddo on gearslutz seems to be hung up on..... this is the sound of now!! confusion, mess, chaos

... ASSumption?

And don't confuse the tools for the trade. Someone wanting a Jupiter 8 doesn't mean they intend to go write Rio (or was that the Jupiter 4? )
Old 26th June 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

This is what I want to hear, might i request some more without distortion ? = ) I want to see it an replace my poly evolver for spacey tones.
📝 Reply