Quantcast
DSI Prophet 12 - Page 45 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DSI Prophet 12
Old 17th May 2013 | Show parent
  #1321
Lives for gear
 
laikenf's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexfx69 ➑️
You must not be reading a whole lot of posts. Fanboys will say it's HUGE, and people who are under no self-imposed illusions and who own VCO or DCO synths and have honestly compared, will say it's WEAK and THIN compared to analog ie Prophet 08.

Certainly it sounds "big" in the way that it has lots of oscs going at once-creating an ensemble type sound, but the oscs themselves are thin, as are all digital oscs compared to analog. So you've got lots of weak oscs together, trying to make up for the basic thin-ness of the digital oscs. Quantity vs quality. Meh. I'll take ONE voice of good ol fat real sweet VCO over 12 voices of aliasing thin digicrap.
Of course, that would be your opinion, because I hear a very good and lush sounding synth... I honestly think the quality of VCOs is greatly overstated by some people, this synth has no reason to envy ANY VCO... just my opinion of course...
Old 17th May 2013 | Show parent
  #1322
Gear Maniac
 
dexfx69's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick easy ➑️
They have rabid fans, people get distracted by shiny new objects, and dsi is all business. "Best synth yet" so please forgive the previous not as good as best synths.
+1000. Someone who speaks truth, finally. I think we're wasting our breath on those who are rabid blind fans. Those fans who are under self-imposed illusions, who defend their uniformed opinions that digital oscs are just as fat and present as analog oscs, and that aliasing is not important to the delicate highest reaches of sound waves. Those fans accept whatever Dave says and releases, just like pop star fans accept the pop slop they release - no questions asked. Yeesh. Digital oscs are thinner than analog - case closed. That said, P12 is a great digital synth with great analog filters.

Ya, sure...the Prophet 12 is Daves self-proclaimed "best synth yet". Do you fanboys know what "marketing" is? Apparently you don't. Dave Smith has totally contradicted himself over the past few years, saying whatever he has to, to sell the new units. He has also lied about specs. For example, "all analog signal path" touting on the Prophet 08 and Mopho. Sorry to say folks, but the noise source is digital.

For me, I respect companies that say it how it is. Dave and co. have tried to downplay the fact that the P12 has all digital oscs, but people would not let the issue drop, so they had to respond. But they carefully left the fact out of their literature upon release, that the oscs are digital. Because some people kinda know what the F*CK digital sounds like vs analog.

Ummmm, I'm going to play my Prophet 5 now and leave this ridiculousness for fanboys to argue. And by the way, I won't be responding or reading the flames from the ignorant bigmouths.
Old 17th May 2013 | Show parent
  #1323
Gear Maniac
 
dexfx69's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by laikenf ➑️
Of course, that would be your opinion, because I hear a very good and lush sounding synth... I honestly think the quality of VCOs is greatly overstated by some people, this synth has no reason to envy ANY VCO... just my opinion of course...
Lush to a degree, but certainly not fat compared to the distinct "realness", "presence", natural osc/voice drifting/intermodulation and non aliasing sweet high end of most VCO polys. This is not opinion. Everyone has an opinion. I state facts, facts that you know little about. No offense meant though.

Anyhow, this argument is sad. Most of the people posting raves about this synth, have never owned a VCO poly and are not aware of what they are truly missing. Or, they are aware, but are OK with the lesser-quality digital sound in order to get a sound of more oscs/voices and more options for sound design capabilities, as well as in impressive looking shiny new toy from the hallowed Dave Smith - fair enough.

I really have to leave this thread alone as I am attacked/voted down by some other ignorant P12 lovers, when I'm trying to open their eyes. Then it turns into a fight and I'm done with it. OK, P12 lovers who claim it's better than analog, you win - and you deserve all the thinness and harsh high end aliasing you can get out of your digital synth. I'm done trying to help you, and I'll go now and enjoy the best sound you can get from a synth: VCO analog.
Old 17th May 2013 | Show parent
  #1324
Lives for gear
 
Synthpark's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexfx69 ➑️
Lush to a degree, but certainly not fat compared to the distinct "realness", "presence", natural osc/voice drifting/intermodulation and non aliasing sweet high end of most VCO polys. This is not opinion. Everyone has an opinion. I state facts, facts that you know little about. No offense meant though.
It's possible to make aliasing-free digital VCOs. About three weeks ago I mailed DSI asking if they use anti-aliasing and the reply was positive.
Old 17th May 2013 | Show parent
  #1325
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexfx69 ➑️
Lush to a degree, but certainly not fat compared to the distinct "realness", "presence", natural osc/voice drifting/intermodulation and non aliasing sweet high end of most VCO polys. This is not opinion. Everyone has an opinion. I state facts, facts that you know little about. No offense meant though.

Anyhow, this argument is sad. Most of the people posting raves about this synth, have never owned a VCO poly and are not aware of what they are truly missing. Or, they are aware, but are OK with the lesser-quality digital sound in order to get a sound of more oscs/voices and more options for sound design capabilities, as well as in impressive looking shiny new toy from the hallowed Dave Smith - fair enough.

I really have to leave this thread alone as I am attacked/voted down by some other ignorant P12 lovers, when I'm trying to open their eyes. Then it turns into a fight and I'm done with it. OK, P12 lovers who claim it's better than analog, you win - and you deserve all the thinness and harsh high end aliasing you can get out of your digital synth. I'm done trying to help you, and I'll go now and enjoy the best sound you can get from a synth: VCO analog.
If you want to be helpful, please help.

So far, you're only arrogant...
Old 17th May 2013 | Show parent
  #1326
Lives for gear
 
laikenf's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexfx69 ➑️
Lush to a degree, but certainly not fat compared to the distinct "realness", "presence", natural osc/voice drifting/intermodulation and non aliasing sweet high end of most VCO polys. This is not opinion. Everyone has an opinion. I state facts, facts that you know little about. No offense meant though.

Anyhow, this argument is sad. Most of the people posting raves about this synth, have never owned a VCO poly and are not aware of what they are truly missing. Or, they are aware, but are OK with the lesser-quality digital sound in order to get a sound of more oscs/voices and more options for sound design capabilities, as well as in impressive looking shiny new toy from the hallowed Dave Smith - fair enough.

I really have to leave this thread alone as I am attacked/voted down by some other ignorant P12 lovers, when I'm trying to open their eyes. Then it turns into a fight and I'm done with it. OK, P12 lovers who claim it's better than analog, you win - and you deserve all the thinness and harsh high end aliasing you can get out of your digital synth. I'm done trying to help you, and I'll go now and enjoy the best sound you can get from a synth: VCO analog.
Relax brother, relax; I LOVE SYNTHS!! ... I just can't hear what's so wrong about this one (you do make it seam like Satan's own... although I can't see anything wrong with that either), but then again: I LOVE SYNTHS!! period... why argue
Old 18th May 2013
  #1327
Lives for gear
 
greenlights's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Lol
Old 18th May 2013
  #1328
Lives for gear
 
greenlights's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
If this guy had the money, he would be getting one too. I disagree with everything he is saying. On another note, I don't think he's just trying to market it. He wasn't like this with the Mopho x4... If you want to call something thin, look at the Nord Lead 4. I heard a new demo from Musikmesse, and the Nord Lead 4 sounded pretty thin. I know from the demos I've heard on the P12, this synth sounds very lush, and thin is not a factor. I wonder if you have a decent monitor system to judge the demos correctly.
Old 18th May 2013 | Show parent
  #1329
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
sounds tremendous if you ask me.

i'd love one.
Old 18th May 2013 | Show parent
  #1330
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwvm ➑️
sounds tremendous if you ask me.

i'd love one.
me too and i agree.

i guess people who are just keeling over in the studio from agony of not having their dream poly can keep petitioning roland via their facebook page.


what's that saying? "wish in one hand and crap in the other.. see which hand fills up first"
Old 18th May 2013
  #1331
Lives for gear
 
BobTheDog's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Digital oscs sound thin and vcos sound fat? What a load of crap that is!

I despair of some of the ignorance on this forum.
Old 18th May 2013 | Show parent
  #1332
Lives for gear
 
NWSooner's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Well, I'm voting with my wallet. I have a preorder for a Prophet 12 at Sweetwater. It's not an analog poly and that's fine, I have those. I'm really impressed with the features, the range of sounds, and the great interface.

I don't care if something has "thin" oscillators or "fat" oscillators, digital oscillators or analog oscillators, or whatever. If it sounds good, it IS good.
Old 18th May 2013 | Show parent
  #1333
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheDog ➑️
Digital oscs sound thin and vcos sound fat? What a load of crap that is!

I despair of some of the ignorance on this forum.
i've been using internet forums 10+ year now... the digital v anologue thing is so so so tiresome to read, it's as dull now as it was 10 year ago.

personally any comment about digital this or analogue that is something i ignore on daily basis and have done a while now.

what i've heard regarding the demos excite me the same as granular excites me.
Old 24th May 2013 | Show parent
  #1334
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
And.....................








Preordered!!!!!!!
Old 25th May 2013 | Show parent
  #1335
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
here's another vid/walk through

Old 25th May 2013 | Show parent
  #1336
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ignatius ➑️
here's another vid/walk through

"It can make it sound really digital although it's an analog synth"

Horrible and completely unprepared demo.
Old 25th May 2013 | Show parent
  #1337
Lives for gear
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexfx69 ➑️
crap
So you're that Bill Jackson dbag who relentlessly follows youtube videos of the P12 rambling about the same crap over and over.
Old 25th May 2013 | Show parent
  #1338
Lives for gear
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransistorRhythm ➑️
"It can make it sound really digital although it's an analog synth"

Horrible and completely unprepared demo.
I'm gonna go ahead and assume that he understands the architecture of the machine.

It's unlikely that he's getting anything for posting that video. I'll never understand why people get pissed when another person goes out of their way and does something nice for nothing.

As for the demo, I thought it was a pretty good basic overview, especially of the much hated oscillator section. That's where the haters are hung up so it's nice to get a detailed description so they can hate it even more for its vast flexibility.
Old 25th May 2013 | Show parent
  #1339
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by slippast ➑️
I'm gonna go ahead and assume that he understands the architecture of the machine.

It's unlikely that he's getting anything for posting that video. I'll never understand why people get pissed when another person goes out of their way and does something nice for nothing.

As for the demo, I thought it was a pretty good basic overview, especially of the much hated oscillator section. That's where the haters are hung up so it's nice to get a detailed description so they can hate it even more for its vast flexibility.
exactly.

he's just a guy who's making a few presets for the synth. so what if he gets some terminology criss crossed... looks like he knows what he's doing..

regarding the digital comments.. he obviously went into the wavetables for that bit.. i think he was just trying to say that it can do digital sounds well..

jeez.. get over it.. just listen.. there's some nice patches in there and a nice little overview of the oscillator section.

anyway.. lt looks pretty fast to get around on.
Old 25th May 2013 | Show parent
  #1340
Deleted #8726
Guest
Very cool synth.
Old 25th May 2013
  #1341
Lives for gear
 
greenlights's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
He already mentioned it can do all the things the Prophet 08 can do, plus a lot more. I trust his input because I know he's a really good synth programmer. I pre ordered one as well, can't till it gets here!
Old 25th May 2013 | Show parent
  #1342
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by slippast ➑️
I'm gonna go ahead and assume that he understands the architecture of the machine.

It's unlikely that he's getting anything for posting that video. I'll never understand why people get pissed when another person goes out of their way and does something nice for nothing.
The web is full of bad synthesizer demos, why should I applaud them because they're free? All I heard were clashing oscillators because all features were turned to the max. He should rather demonstrate FM and AM in isolation so you could actually hear what happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slippast ➑️
As for the demo, I thought it was a pretty good basic overview, especially of the much hated oscillator section. That's where the haters are hung up so it's nice to get a detailed description so they can hate it even more for its vast flexibility.
Haters? Man I wish I had one right now!
Old 25th May 2013 | Show parent
  #1343
Lives for gear
 
shaft9000's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheDog ➑️
Digital oscs sound thin and vcos sound fat? What a load of crap that is!

I despair of some of the ignorance on this forum.

^truth


a VCO is only a waveform generator - how big or meaty or fat or deep or whatever adjective you care to use, those qualities come from the overall audio path and mostly VCA and to some extent filter.
most of 'big/fat etc' is plain gain-staging - using an older synth will prove this. the engineers HAD to slam signals in the 70s because most available amplifiers were so damned inefficient compared to now, and it would sound utterly wimpy if it weren't hot hitting the amp.


what VCOs will do that the other oscillators don't do is fluctuate and drift due to temperature and other non-intentional variables etc...and this affects the signal down the line

VCOs are "engineerialistically inferior" in most every way - unless you DEMAND the idiosyncracies that come with them
Old 26th May 2013 | Show parent
  #1344
Gear Nut
 
🎧 5 years
I have also pre ordered this one and can hardly wait. I have not touched my music hobby for many years, but have recently been very inspired to start again, much thanks to this great forum

I want a minimal setup to just play and have fun at home. Of what I have read and seen you can do so much with this synth, so with that and my newly bought Tempest, I can do everything want for now. If my goal was to produce music and send midi signals through it, I would probably buy a used Prophet 8 for half the price instead.
Old 26th May 2013 | Show parent
  #1345
Lives for gear
 
The Hamburglar's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaft9000 ➑️
^truth


a VCO is only a waveform generator - how big or meaty or fat or deep or whatever adjective you care to use, those qualities come from the overall audio path and mostly VCA and to some extent filter.
LOL what VCA's are the meatiest?!
Old 26th May 2013 | Show parent
  #1346
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaft9000 ➑️
^truth


a VCO is only a waveform generator - how big or meaty or fat or deep or whatever adjective you care to use, those qualities come from the overall audio path and mostly VCA and to some extent filter.
most of 'big/fat etc' is plain gain-staging - using an older synth will prove this. the engineers HAD to slam signals in the 70s because most available amplifiers were so damned inefficient compared to now, and it would sound utterly wimpy if it weren't hot hitting the amp.


what VCOs will do that the other oscillators don't do is fluctuate and drift due to temperature and other non-intentional variables etc...and this affects the signal down the line

VCOs are "engineerialistically inferior" in most every way - unless you DEMAND the idiosyncracies that come with them
Ok so try to re-emphasize your argument including modulars? 2013 you can get extremely big fat meaty and deep vco's. some cost over a grand for one vco. If anything new manufacturers use dco's and digital osc to cut cost
Old 26th May 2013 | Show parent
  #1347
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hamburglar ➑️
LOL what VCA's are the meatiest?!
it may sound crazy but think of it this way.. all circuits are different.. think about the differences between analog mixers and mic pres etc.. there is a difference between VCAs in a modular system. they sound different.. some very subtle differences and some bigger differences.. usually.. the ones that don't sound good are because of cheap components or poor design.

so, yeah.. VCAs are different.
Old 26th May 2013 | Show parent
  #1348
Lives for gear
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransistorRhythm ➑️
The web is full of bad synthesizer demos, why should I applaud them because they're free? All I heard were clashing oscillators because all features were turned to the max. He should rather demonstrate FM and AM in isolation so you could actually hear what happened.



Haters? Man I wish I had one right now!
No need to applaud but getting pissed doesn't make sense. I'd like to hear a more nuanced demo as well but I consider it a favor that people take the time at all.

I wasn't implying that you're a hater...just a general comment to folks out there who are so unjustifiably pissed about the OSC section not being VCO.
Old 27th May 2013 | Show parent
  #1349
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
I hope they'll be a couple of shops in the uk to try out this thing.


I mean vstis can do many things but this is a different beast. Saying that I cant pegion hole vstis as each has their own sound.



Every vid I've seen sounds great. Shame the audio doesn't go via usb like a virus.
Old 27th May 2013 | Show parent
  #1350
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
Those recent clips on your tube from the last month of the p12 have really made a big difference in my mind. its sounds bloody awesome!!

I reakon he wont be able to keep up with demand when it first comes out. has anyone been able to pre-order theirs by paying full deposit?
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 7553 views: 1011008
Avatar for bass2rez
bass2rez 1 minute ago
replies: 91 views: 35653
Avatar for Roodillon
Roodillon 16th June 2015
replies: 811 views: 67463
Avatar for Sharp11
Sharp11 2 weeks ago
replies: 64 views: 2788
Avatar for zerocrossing
zerocrossing 11th March 2021
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump